HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#76: Flyers @ Penguins - Tuesday, Mar. 29, 2011 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-30-2011, 10:31 AM
  #601
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
For sure. Flyers definitely came to play last night, and didn't fold when it might've been expected.

We certainly have our fans like that, too. But Pens fans seem...I don't know. Quite...populous? when it comes to stuff like that.
All fans do it.

Last night my roommates were yelling at me for NOT being entirely emotional and irrational. They genuinely choose to ignore what they see and invent things in their brain, for the sake of appeasing their bias.

For example, after Hartnell scores, Orpik gave him a pretty solid shove into the net and my roommates started crying for a crosshecking call. According to them the fact that I didn't think it was a big deal at all and pointed out that it's impossible for Orpik to "crosscheck" someone with one hand on the stick, makes me LESS of a fan.

Most fans let emotion rule over logic.


Last edited by DUHockey9: 03-30-2011 at 10:37 AM.
DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:37 AM
  #602
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
All fans do it.

Last night my roommates were yelling at me for NOT being entirely emotional and irrational. They genuinely choose to ignore what they see and invent things in their brain, for the sake of appeasing their bias.

For example, after Hartnell scores Orpik gave him a pretty solid shove into the net and my roommates started crying for a crosshecking call. According to them the fact that I didn't think it was a big deal at all and pointed out that it's impossible for Orpik to "crosscheck" someone with one hand on the stick, makes me LESS of a fan.

Most fans let emotion rule over logic.
I know all fans do it. I wanted a penalty there, but I was ok with the no-call if it meant no one was going. I'm simply of the opinion that Pens fans tend to be more contentious about such things in my experiences.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:40 AM
  #603
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I know all fans do it. I wanted a penalty there, but I was ok with the no-call if it meant no one was going. I'm simply of the opinion that Pens fans tend to be more contentious about such things in my experiences.
Perhaps.

My one roommate went to college out in Pittsburgh and he hates Pens fans so much that he would almost rather see them fail than see us succeed. And THAT is my gripe with Pens fans in the first place. I always felt a lot of them wanted to see us fail more than they wanted to succeed.

Seems silly to me. I just want to win. Nothing else matters.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:48 AM
  #604
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,248
vCash: 500
I must say, I thoroughly enjoy a Sidney Crosby-less NHL. It's like a breath of fresh air after walking through a sewer. I don't miss the sidney crosby hattrick of pre, post and intermission stories completely about crosby. Some actually admitting the NHL actually existing BC, before crosby.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:49 AM
  #605
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Perhaps.

My one roommate went to college out in Pittsburgh and he hates Pens fans so much that he would almost rather see them fail than see us succeed. And THAT is my gripe with Pens fans in the first place. I always felt a lot of them wanted to see us fail more than they wanted to succeed.

Seems silly to me. I just want to win. Nothing else matters.
My problem with Pens fans is they're fans of what is undoubtedly the luckiest franchise in all of hockey, and maybe all of sports. The happenstance of them sucking hard enough to get good picks and land generational players both times is mind boggling, but most of them just take it as jealousy. Not being able to see this limits them from really being able to see a lot of other things (again, in my experiences).

I couldn't give a **** if the Pens finish better than the Flyers, other than it meaning the Flyers have further to go the next time around.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:53 AM
  #606
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,248
vCash: 500
though tampa seems to be putting the loose for a few years things to good use. Might be a trend.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:57 AM
  #607
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,366
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
pens are 2-4 against us this year and embarrassed us twice on home ice.
My bad. I counted their shootout win as a shootout loss.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:54 AM
  #608
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Playing devil's advocate here...

Your "list" that "can go on" is quite weak. 5 of your 6 points basically are about Cooke. You've essentially listed 1) Matt Cooke/headshots and 2) Fleury's five hole. Not much of a list.
Really? Aren't you a Flyers fan?

And...I am making character points. The character of the organization was the topic at hand...in reference to Talbot's s-talking and the Pens message board.

I was simply saying that Mario and Cooke have showed to be bad characters...and thus what they have to say, like their fans and the rest of the team is not credible.

Going into the playoffs, the Pens "aren't scared" of the Flyers...I was stating that it's probably because of said character flaws and the player who could return combined with Fleury's weak five hole, should in fact make them more fearful.

But yes, in a discussion about the Pens game thread and Talbot's BS, you should totally call me out on making weak arguments. Great fan you are.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:56 AM
  #609
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
I must say, I thoroughly enjoy a Sidney Crosby-less NHL. It's like a breath of fresh air after walking through a sewer. I don't miss the sidney crosby hattrick of pre, post and intermission stories completely about crosby. Some actually admitting the NHL actually existing BC, before crosby.
Except for last night's NHL Overtime on Versus when they showed a clip of Sid practicing, followed up with the statement, "that's the best highlight I have seen all day."

LoL

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:02 PM
  #610
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Really? Aren't you a Flyers fan?

And...I am making character points. The character of the organization was the topic at hand...in reference to Talbot's s-talking and the Pens message board.

I was simply saying that Mario and Cooke have showed to be bad characters...and thus what they have to say, like their fans and the rest of the team is not credible.

Going into the playoffs, the Pens "aren't scared" of the Flyers...I was stating that it's probably because of said character flaws and the player who could return combined with Fleury's weak five hole, should in fact make them more fearful.

But yes, in a discussion about the Pens game thread and Talbot's BS, you should totally call me out on making weak arguments. Great fan you are.
Jeez relax...did I not say I was playing Devil's Advocate?

And thanks for touching on my earlier point about people questioning one's fandom for being objective. Objectivity does not mean you aren't a fan. In fact I'd argue it makes you a better one, because you're less prone to bias.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:06 PM
  #611
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,265
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Except for last night's NHL Overtime on Versus when they showed a clip of Sid practicing, followed up with the statement, "that's the best highlight I have seen all day."

LoL
I almost snapped my TV in half when that happened.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:19 PM
  #612
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Jeez relax...did I not say I was playing Devil's Advocate?

And thanks for touching on my earlier point about people questioning one's fandom for being objective. Objectivity does not mean you aren't a fan. In fact I'd argue it makes you a better one, because you're less prone to bias.
Sure you said "devil's advocate" but then said my list was weak...in order to be weak, it would not be founded on factual information or on opinions based on events.

Objective does not mean determining another's fan opinion is weak, that is called SUBJECTIVE.

If you were being objective you could instead bring up opposing points of value rather than critique the ones I made.

And, when it comes to being a Flyers fan, while very hockey-educated, we all share one thing and that is our insatiable hate for the Penguins.

See what I did there - I argued you opinion with supporting information, rather than called what you said "weak."

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:43 PM
  #613
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Sure you said "devil's advocate" but then said my list was weak...in order to be weak, it would not be founded on factual information or on opinions based on events.

Objective does not mean determining another's fan opinion is weak, that is called SUBJECTIVE.

If you were being objective you could instead bring up opposing points of value rather than critique the ones I made.

And, when it comes to being a Flyers fan, while very hockey-educated, we all share one thing and that is our insatiable hate for the Penguins.

See what I did there - I argued you opinion with supporting information, rather than called what you said "weak."
If I was disputing your point, it would require a counter-point and factual information. But I wasn't disputing your point, merely your method. When 5 of 6 points in a list appear to be the same, it's a perfectly valid to think it's weak support of an argument.

Quote:
Definitions of objective on the Web:

•undistorted by emotion or personal bias
My entire point was to essentially say "I agree, however..." while attempting to set my Flyer loyalties aside. You're the one who then goes and states an "insatiable hate for the Penguins". So who's objective?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:56 PM
  #614
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
My bad. I counted their shootout win as a shootout loss.
It's okay. He counted a shootout win as a win. So you're both wrong.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 01:09 PM
  #615
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
If I was disputing your point, it would require a counter-point and factual information. But I wasn't disputing your point, merely your method. When 5 of 6 points in a list appear to be the same, it's a perfectly valid to think it's weak support of an argument.



My entire point was to essentially say "I agree, however..." while attempting to set my Flyer loyalties aside. You're the one who then goes and states an "insatiable hate for the Penguins". So who's objective?
never claimed to be objective...i was, again, agreeing that their entire culture was not reputable and in turn, we should take what they have to say at face value considering who it is coming to... you have turned the discussion and this thread into an entirely different beast.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 01:17 PM
  #616
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
never claimed to be objective...i was, again, agreeing that their entire culture was not reputable and in turn, we should take what they have to say at face value considering who it is coming to... you have turned the discussion and this thread into an entirely different beast.
I'm never playing Devil's Advocate again haha.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:14 PM
  #617
StevensCakeBakerBacker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I'm never playing Devil's Advocate again haha.

I think I get the overall point you're trying to make; fan-boy's suck.

Am'I'right?

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:23 PM
  #618
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
I think I get the overall point you're trying to make; fan-boy's suck.

Am'I'right?
Word.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:42 PM
  #619
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Except for last night's NHL Overtime on Versus when they showed a clip of Sid practicing, followed up with the statement, "that's the best highlight I have seen all day."

LoL
Oh noes, that means the 24/7 Sidney might get into a game soon show will begin. It'll make the coverage of charlie sheen look limited. I just hope every time they show picks of him walking to and from practice, he's got the bright yellow crocs on. They are hilarious.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 03:14 PM
  #620
1865
Registered User
 
1865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chester, UK
Country: England
Posts: 9,175
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
I think I get the overall point you're trying to make; fan-boy's suck.

Am'I'right?
Not quite. There's no apostrophe in 'boys'.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 08:40 PM
  #621
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,890
vCash: 5792
The team finally gave us what we were looking for last night. In the last month and a half, going down 2-1 after having tied the game, there would have been little confidence the Flyers could muster up enough offense to win while keeping the door shut.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:27 PM
  #622
Gary Roberts
Bringer of rain
 
Gary Roberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
Pens fan (coming in peace). Congrats on the win and pretty much locking up 1st in the East.

Gotta say I'm glad to see the Flyers have moved past the "Broad Street Bullies" phase and are playing and exciting, but still physical brand of hockey. I look forward to Pens-Flyers games more than any other regular season sporting event.

Hopefully we'll see you again in the playoffs with a healthy Sidney Crosby and tear the house down with an exciting, well contested series.

Gary Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 12:14 AM
  #623
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Roberts View Post
Pens fan (coming in peace). Congrats on the win and pretty much locking up 1st in the East.

Gotta say I'm glad to see the Flyers have moved past the "Broad Street Bullies" phase and are playing and exciting, but still physical brand of hockey. I look forward to Pens-Flyers games more than any other regular season sporting event.

Hopefully we'll see you again in the playoffs with a healthy Sidney Crosby and tear the house down with an exciting, well contested series.
I also hope that Crosby comes back as good as new . . . . . next year.


Also, Wolverine is a Flyers fan.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:30 AM
  #624
StevensCakeBakerBacker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Not quite. There's no apostrophe in 'boys'.
Is there an apostrophe in A'hole?

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:43 AM
  #625
Gary Roberts
Bringer of rain
 
Gary Roberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I also hope that Crosby comes back as good as new . . . . . next year.


Also, Wolverine is a Flyers fan.
My avatar used to be Nick Fury, who I believe is a Red Wings fan.

And I always figured an old school Canadian like Wolverine would be a Leafs fan.

Gary Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.