HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Oilers - 03/29/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
03-30-2011, 01:16 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

vCash: 500
Penner and Moller better find some chemistry quickly, Zues were fine but those two were lost all game.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 01:27 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Sharks-97 Points (6 games left)
Coyotes-95 Points (4 games left)
Kings-94 Points (6 games left)

Still in the hunt for the Division title and if you want to set the bar high, the #2 seed is up for grabs too.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 01:34 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba View Post
Just curious, any word on the three stars of the game?
3 stars were

1 - Brown
2 - Lewis
3 - Bernier

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:03 AM
ReverseSweep
Kingspiracy.

Happy for the W. Missed the game but glad for the points.

ReverseSweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:52 AM
Belanger25
The Iceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
Penner and Moller better find some chemistry quickly, Zues were fine but those two were lost all game.
I like all three plays individually, but as a line I think it's an awful idea.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 03:42 AM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

King RAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 05:37 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Kings won both of the games they were supposed to down the stretch. Now back to the tough ones.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 05:47 AM
kingbrath

This team has balls.

Last edited by kingbrath: 03-30-2011 at 06:22 AM.
kingbrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 06:54 AM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrath View Post
This team has balls.
And to think I almost put AC/DCs Big Balls in here as a tribute...

King RAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 07:29 AM
kingbrath

maybe im stupidly confident...I havent posted since last year. IFor those that remember me...I luv ya! I had to come in and yell at some Oilers fans(born in Red Deer). The thing is though...Im superstitious...if we lose our next game i wont post again until the playoffs. I love u all tho hahaha

kingbrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 08:05 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
It was like a pre-season game. Not a lot of intensity on the ice. The Kings played a smart game and Lewis had some great individual efforts. Brown was the lucky guy to get the great passes from Lewis.

Lewis has 1 goal and 3 assists on the last 4 goals.

Benier was money and gave up very few rebounds. The Kings cleared the front very well tonight.
I believe this kid is nails, fast and can score. He is just dusting off what has always been there. He now has a green light and he will make the best of it. hH has been put in a defensive role primarily and he has learned that part of the game. We are just now seeing the part of the game that comes easy for him. That first rounder is starting to show.

and Go Kings Go!

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:54 AM
SLang

Funny how other fanbases view games. In the Oiler GDT someone said the Kings could have had a mannequin or something like that in net and still got the SO. I didn't see it that way at all. I can count at lease three great saves last night.

SLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:58 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Haven't had a chance to read this thread yet, since I watched the game late last night. Here are my thoughts.

Brown has really stepped up the past couple of games. What a game by him in all zones. He needs to play like that every game, and last night he took the team on his shoulders.

Lewis. How much can I say about this kid? He has slowly become my 3rd favorite King behind Bernier and Doughty. Some called him a bust, others thought he would only be a 4th liner that didn't amount to anything but a PK guy. He has 4 period on a skilled, scoring line and not only has he shown he has fit, he is the reason the line is scoring. He has a goal and 3 assists in those 4 periods and the passes to Brownie last night were great. The first one made my jaw drop the way he threaded the puck through 2 Oilers and Khabby. Wow. Fox keeps saying that his hands need to catch up to his feet, but in fact, I believe it was his line mates that needed to catch up to him.

Bernier, didn't have a hard game but came up huge. This is the game our goalies need to have from here on out. He was strong, confident and always smiling last night. He was just having a great time. There wasn't even a moment, other than the 3rd period when Smyth cleared the rebound, that I was nervous because of his calm game. He has shown the past 10-12 games that the Kings can use both goalies and know that they will get solid goaltending. Does anyone know his numbers in the last 10-12 games? I know he's only lost one in regulation, but what are his GAA/S% in those games?

I felt like Penner was trying to hard, so in turn just looked like he was running around last night.

Moller didn't score, but again, I think he had a strong game. When I noticed him last night, he was always in position defensively at the front of the net clearing a loose puck and getting it out of the zone.

All in all, a solid game. Everyone stepped up into new roles and were hugely successful. Seriously though, I think we need to practice clearing the puck out of the zone and shooting on an empty net. How many empty net goals do the Kings have this year? 2? We can't score one for the life of us.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Funny how other fanbases view games. In the Oiler GDT someone said the Kings could have had a mannequin or something like that in net and still got the SO. I didn't see it that way at all. I can count at lease three great saves last night.
as far as big saves go, i can only recall the one glove save. Bernier's rebound control last night was sick though. I actually cant recall a single shot coming from a rebound

Muzzinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:13 AM
null33

Haven't followed Penner much before he got to the Kings -- but did the Oilers org/fans ever question his commitment to fitness? His posture and apparent doughiness during that first intermission interview suggest he isn't fond of training.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:15 AM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

I think TM should put Stoll in between Penner and Moller - he's defintiely a better passer than Zeus and perhaps will be a better fit for those two. Besides, the line of Poni-Zeus-Simmonds has been nails all year long.

TruKingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:34 AM
tomd

Seriously, DL needs to stop making trade deadline deals. Penner has been absolutely awful just like Halpern was last year.

Apologies in advance to the "do something/anything" crowd.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:42 AM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

Always nice to see the Kings get 2 points, but that's the last easy game the Kings play for the year. I'm pretty worried about tomorrow night vs the Sedin sisters. It's awesome to see Trevor Lewis respond to the challenge put on him so quickly. I hope he builds on that, cause the Kings are going to need it.

But it surprised me that Stoll wasn't the guy called out in terms of providing more offense. I think if TM goes with the line combos posted on here that has Stoll moving between Moller & Penner, and Handzus taking Stoll's spot on his current line, that we could see some more balanced scoring.

The NJ Devils rode balanced, timely scoring, defense, goaltending and a conservative system to a lot of success. Even though its no longer the trap era, I don't think the Kings would hurt themselves at this point by trying to take a similar approach.

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:50 AM
damacles1156

Drew for the month of March.

1G 3A 4pts -1

Jack's numbers are even worse, he has gone twenty-four games now without a goal. Simmer also only has three points in all of March. That is killing the Kings. Those guys have to play better.

Last edited by damacles1156: 03-30-2011 at 10:57 AM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:58 AM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Drew for the month of March.

1G 3A 4pts -1

Jack's numbers are even worse, he has gone twenty-four games now without a goal. That is killing the Kings. Those two guys have to play better.
Agreed. If the Kings have any chance of making up the lost production of Kopitar & Williams, then Doughty & Johnson are going to have to step up their offensive games. Given that Willy Mitchell has been scoring more goals than those two lately, they've definitely got their work cut out for them.

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Seriously, DL needs to stop making trade deadline deals. Penner has been absolutely awful just like Halpern was last year.

Apologies in advance to the "do something/anything" crowd.
Give it a rest. The Penner and Halpern trades aren't even comparable. Penner is a consistent 20+ goal scorer for whom the Kings didn't have to give up anything of consequence.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Penner-Zus-Moller was HORRIBLE.

Id like to see

Smyth-Lewis-Brown
Penner-Stoll-Simmonds
Poni-Zus-Moller
Cliff-Rich-West
Wow - we made it thru 10 whole posts before someone went negative after a win. That's got to be a record.

Quattro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:10 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
well you probably haven't been watching all the oiler games since guys like Hemsky, Gagner, Hall and even Horcoff have been out... scoring for this team has been like pulling teeth without their top offensive players. Eberle and pajaarvi are overwhelmed trying to carry a line and the teams offense in general. The call ups are giving a good effort and working hard trying to grind out wins but there's just not enough natural finish on the guys left to really get any kind of consistent offense generated. Other than the game against the flames I don't know that the oilers have scored more than 1 goal in a game (if they even manage that) since the injuries really started crippling them.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:11 AM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

The D will need to step it up in the playoffs offensively if the Kings are going to have any prayer of having success. Jack and Drew are gamers. I think they can do it.

Thursday's game will be a good litmus test. If the Kings can keep it close, even if they don't win, that'll say a lot about their playoff chances, particularly vs. teams like Nashville or Phoenix who struggle to score.

Let's face it, they're going to have to out-defense the other teams to be successful, which is what the playoffs are all about anyway.

The Kings best chance for playoff success in round 1 will be facing Nashville or Phoenix (of the likely possibilities at this point).

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:18 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The D will need to step it up in the playoffs offensively if the Kings are going to have any prayer of having success. Jack and Drew are gamers. I think they can do it.

Thursday's game will be a good litmus test. If the Kings can keep it close, even if they don't win, that'll say a lot about their playoff chances, particularly vs. teams like Nashville or Phoenix who struggle to score.

Let's face it, they're going to have to out-defense the other teams to be successful, which is what the playoffs are all about anyway.

The Kings best chance for playoff success in round 1 will be facing Nashville or Phoenix (of the likely possibilities at this point).
I don't know why people keep saying this, With already the lack offense the Kings do have. People want to play the teams that have rock solid Goalies and trap style D ? ??????

Why?????? At this point PHX is the last team I would want to see in round one.

PHX is going to be a nightmare for whoever in round one.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote