HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Drury returns, he could help Rangers on draws

Old
03-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
How many GWG does Christensen have in the playoffs? Hell, does he even have a goal in the playoffs? Drury would be an easy decision based on his playoff pedigree alone.
He doesn't, but that doesn't mean he never will.

I wouldn't start Brendan Shanahan over Stepan in the playoffs right now simply because of the difference in playoff credentials.

03-30-2011, 12:08 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
No, I have no idea actually, Can you fill us in? because apperently you DO know?
I don't know, it just seems incredibly unlikely that after all this time he's spent on the shelf, Drury will be able to step right in and be game-ready. When players come back from long injuries, they typically need time to readjust to game speed, in game reactions, etc. After almost two months of not playing, Drury is gonna step in and be as good as he was the day he left? Just seems incredibly unlikely to me.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:36 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I don't know, it just seems incredibly unlikely that after all this time he's spent on the shelf, Drury will be able to step right in and be game-ready. When players come back from long injuries, they typically need time to readjust to game speed, in game reactions, etc. After almost two months of not playing, Drury is gonna step in and be as good as he was the day he left? Just seems incredibly unlikely to me.
Someone needs to tell that to Prospal.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 04:34 AM
eco's bones

Prospal has several advantages over Drury. Neither of them are fast anymore but Prospal a) is bigger and stronger and better in the corners b) has not lost his offensive creativity or works well with others c) in particular we're speaking about Marian Gaborik who mediocre season or not is still our most dynamic scoring threat. Part of this due to Prospal being a set up guy more than a goal scorer.

A couple other things--Prospal is a Torts guy going way back. Prospal has been giving the Rangers discounts for his services for two seasons now. Basically we're paying Prospal a lot less money to be a top 6 forward than another guy who is getting tons and tons of money but is no longer able to be a top 6 forward.

Last but not least---comparing Drury's 23 games in the lineup to Prospal's 23 games leads us finally to this--after long term injury due to a broken finger or two Drury produced 4 assists. After long term injury due to some knee injury requiring some surgery Prospal has 5 goals and 12 assists. Prospal has produced. Drury has not.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 07:32 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
EC has as many PP points as Drury has total points. He has more GWG than Drury has Goals. And while were at it, lets not pretend Drury still has any offensive capabilities left in the tank.
You need to read what I wrote. I never said I'd look to Drury for offense. I'm saying tha the role that a fourth line center on this team would play in the playoffs is not one that will be looked to for offense. The role will be similar to the way Drury was used in the Olympics.

Its not a surprise that Christensen has better numbers than Drury — he's played twice as many games and has played with the teams supposed best offensive player.

03-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Ola

Drury could -- of course -- be valuble to have in the mix, no doubt.

As a 14th skater if nothing else. Heck its not even up for debate really. The way we play, a long PO race, et c -- before we know it only 3 - 4 of our current 6 D's are healthy and we have 4-5 forwards injured.

What you want in a situation like that is someone who stepps on the ice and give you the basics of what's expected from a player in whatever role he is put. You seldom needs someone who can come in and play at the same level as the player that went out, because the team as that far into the season will function no matter what, what you need is someone who do not come in and looks up to the roof and the spotlights and what not, someone who sheits his pants and cannot be counted on doing the right thing. With the kid in a situation like that I think there is a great chance that you get like awesome plays mixed with worse plays, thats not what you want. You want stability.

I wouldn't be afraid one sec to put Drury on the ice as a center with a one goal lead and 1:30 to go in G7 in ECF. Would you?

And you know what, Drury could even play in a much bigger role and perform in the same way.

Nah, he is a great asset to have going into the PO's and especially if we go deep.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 08:54 AM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I wouldn't be afraid one sec to put Drury on the ice as a center with a one goal lead and 1:30 to go in G7 in ECF. Would you?
Uhhh yeah, I sure as hell would!

Other than meat-shielding and icing the puck, Drury serves no purpose in that situation. Yes, he can win draws, but I would take Dubinsky's 51.4% over the small bump you would get from Drury every single time, given that the kid can actually skate, get the puck deep, and exhibit some kind puck control. I would take Boyle over him also for similar reasons.

You see, it's not that I think Drury is completely useless, it's that he's completely useless on this team. We have players who bring much more to the table, thus marginalizing Drury. You don't waste a roster spot on a guy that give you a whopping 4.8% boost in the faceoff circle, but can't skate, score, or even pass all that well. I'm willing to give that roster spot to someone like Christensen or Avery who, put in the right situation, are still capable of changing the game. Outside of faceoffs and hurdling his body in front of point shots, Drury is a void.

I'm really sorry it has come to this, because I truly respect and admire Drury as a player. The fact of the matter is he is done. It happens to everyone at some point, and after 2 injury-plagued seasons and pathetic production, it has happened to Chris Drury.

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:11 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Uhhh yeah, I sure as hell would!

Other than meat-shielding and icing the puck, Drury serves no purpose in that situation. Yes, he can win draws, but I would take Dubinsky's 51.4% over the small bump you would get from Drury every single time, given that the kid can actually skate, get the puck deep, and exhibit some kind puck control. I would take Boyle over him also for similar reasons.

You see, it's not that I think Drury is completely useless, it's that he's completely useless on this team. We have players who bring much more to the table, thus marginalizing Drury. You don't waste a roster spot on a guy that give you a whopping 4.8% boost in the faceoff circle, but can't skate, score, or even pass all that well. I'm willing to give that roster spot to someone like Christensen or Avery who, put in the right situation, are still capable of changing the game. Outside of faceoffs and hurdling his body in front of point shots, Drury is a void.

I'm really sorry it has come to this, because I truly respect and admire Drury as a player. The fact of the matter is he is done. It happens to everyone at some point, and after 2 injury-plagued seasons and pathetic production, it has happened to Chris Drury.
In a discussion like this its all about perspective, I think we pretty much agree in general...

I am watching a team here in Sweden fall apart with a ton of injury's during the PO's, icing like 3-4 rookies that have played very little during the season (besides the 5-6 on the team from the seasons start). I think they would kill to have just a about any vet on the roster -- no matter who, to just put out there and ice the puck or what not.

Drury took many of those FO's for USA in the OG's last season.

My point is not that Drury can do something that is better then what Anisimov or Dubinsky or Boyle could do -- heck, what if we stand there without all those 3 mentioned? Up 3 zip in a series and everyone else is rolling like crazy.

You can never have to many bodies, and while someone might argue the opposite, start throwing someone like Kennedy or Grachev or Kredier onto the ice in those situations, I think Drury is a upgrade.

Old
03-30-2011, 09:27 AM
TrollololBoyle

I do think Drury is done, or at least a lost cause this year, but I would rather have him in the playoffs than Christensen. Drury is a big game player, not only in the playoffs, but internationally as well. The only problem I have though, is that the Drury I am talking about is the one from 2-3 years ago.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
He doesn't, but that doesn't mean he never will.
I'm not saying he won't. I'm simply saying that saying Christensen "brings offense to the table" as support of choosing him over Drury is silly given the fact that he rarely brings offense to the table. I'm more comfortable with relying on any of our other forwards to score some goals than I am with Prospal/Dubi/Boyle/AA/Stepan winning important faceoffs.

I think the odds of Drury being a key piece in a playoff run are far more significant than that of Christensen being one.

Quote:
I wouldn't start Brendan Shanahan over Stepan in the playoffs right now simply because of the difference in playoff credentials.
There's two problems with that comparison:

1. Shanny is retired. Drury still plays in the NHL.
2. Stepan is far superior to Christensen.

I wouldn't start Cam Neely over Dubinsky right now. That doesn't mean it disproves my point. We're talking about a marginal NHLer vs a competent playoff veteran. Not a retiree vs an up and coming first line center.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey

vCash: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You need to read what I wrote. I never said I'd look to Drury for offense. I'm saying tha the role that a fourth line center on this team would play in the playoffs is not one that will be looked to for offense. The role will be similar to the way Drury was used in the Olympics.

Its not a surprise that Christensen has better numbers than Drury — he's played twice as many games and has played with the teams supposed best offensive player.
But he has what 6.5 times as many points?

And again while I see what your trying to say about not looking to drury for offense, to my point, this is not a team that is an offensive dynamo. We have plenty of guys who are fantastic defensive players. What we lack is consistent scoring. And while EC may be inconsistent, at least he has been consistent for stretches this year, where Drury hasn't even had a stretch of anything. So one more time, if we were a high flying offensive team and our TEAM defense was severely lacking, then I might be able to understand this mantra. But this is not the case and I don't know why people continue to pretend it is. Drury has no role with this teams current make up.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:27 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Yes I would because to have Drury on the ice means that someone else is on the bench so who's on the bench?

Certainly not Callahan
Certainly not Dubinsky - #39 in the league on F0% btw
Certainly not Boyle - It's pointless arguing this after the Bruins post game comments.
Certainly not Prust who leads the league with 5 short handers and is able to score CLUTCH GOALS.
Anisimov?
Prospal?
Gaborik?

There's a reason why Drury played himself onto the 4th line and it's not because he's best suited in a checking role, it's because it's now his only role.

Quote:
And when Drury was given the opportunity he failed at it. When given the chance to play with Gaborik he failed when Christensen succeeded, so Christensen continued to play there. When given the opportunity to play right wing with Anisimov and Dubinsky he failed there where Callahan succeeded. When does it become about Drury not producing and others producing where he didn't?

Last edited by vipernsx: 03-30-2011 at 10:33 AM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:58 AM
MSG the place to be*

Drury isn't retired but the point that I've been trying to make is that he should be. People are just totally missing the point on here. Its not about anyone's offensive ability, defensive ability, consistency, etc. It merely comes down to the fact that Drury does not resemble an NHL player any longer.

This debate will never get settled because I don't believe Drury will play another game in our sweater. Every time Torts was asked about Drury's play you could see that Torts was doing an all-time great job at sugar coating the situation. And if Drury does return, we are clearly making different observations about his play. Because what I saw from him this season was an utter joke and an embarassment to his career. I'm not bashing his effort, just his performance. If that 23 game reel of tape doesn't cement it in your eyes, then nothing will.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
But he has what 6.5 times as many points?

And again while I see what your trying to say about not looking to drury for offense, to my point, this is not a team that is an offensive dynamo. We have plenty of guys who are fantastic defensive players. What we lack is consistent scoring. And while EC may be inconsistent, at least he has been consistent for stretches this year, where Drury hasn't even had a stretch of anything. So one more time, if we were a high flying offensive team and our TEAM defense was severely lacking, then I might be able to understand this mantra. But this is not the case and I don't know why people continue to pretend it is. Drury has no role with this teams current make up.
At a certain point, you have to accept what this team is and furthermore, you have to accept that Erik Christensen is utterly worthless in the 4th line role hes fallen into.

Stepan, who is a big part of the future, deserves the chance to center Gaborik in the playoffs.

In my opinion, Drury has a much clearer role on this team than Erik Christensen.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:29 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im not here to make excuses for Drury, his contract was/is out of control and hes clearly lost a step. But it seems that the ridiculous deal he signed and the obvious signs of decline are making their way into hatchet jobs on Drury the person/Drury the teammate, and that doesnt sit right with me. After watching him play throughout his career, and these last 3+ seasons as a Ranger, I dont know how anyone could say Drury hasnt given everything he has.

Truth be told, I dont know if he'll help the team much if hes able to come back from this latest injury, but I know he wont hurt it. Specifically, he wont let himself hurt the team, and thats what I find most admirable about Chris Drury. (Cue the redundant and all-too-predictable responses about how retiring is what will really help the team).

The truth of the matter is this team has been successful lately playing a more defensive-oriented brand of hockey. Kind of ironic considering our coach came in blaring that "safe is death" motto. But alas, lacking high-end offensive talent will cause any coach to adapt. With that said, getting a healthy Drury into the lineup would only help as far as Im concerned.

And when you look at who would sit if Drury returns, the obvious candidates are Christensen and Zuccarello. Some people are complaining about this because EC and MZA have "higher offensive upside." Well, what good is that offensive ability when they cannot score consistently?
Lets focus on scoring inconsistently. Like this year when he was healthy and going over 1/4th of a season and amassing a total of zero goals and 4 assists kind of inconsistent. But he did battle injuries this year so maybe it wasn't a fair assessment, perhaps last year was better. A whopping 14 goal season in a healthy 77 games. Not quite the model of consistency himself.

I don't care what Chris Drury has done in his career. I care about what Chris Drury has done in his career as a Ranger and so far it's been a disappointment by any standard.

Rather than being clutch, He's been Houdini. He's NEVER come up with a big goal when we needed it and NEVER lead us to a big game. Instead we're left with shootout losses to Philly and we never spoil his Christmas.

These are the lasting memories of Chris Drury's leadership.

For those of you who don't get it, go back and what Pierre Mc'Guire's interview with Ryan Callahan. Pay VERY close attention to Pierre's first word's to Callahan. And as a true leader, Cally gives Drury the respect a veteran deserves.
http://video.tvguide.com/NBC+Sports/...angers/7108334

The truth is Chris Drury is the last relic left over from the Renney Era. The other one is burred in the minors. If we're lucky next year the team will be even better next year as we move past into the next generation.

I feel sorry for those who can't route for this new generation of team because they're very, very good.

Old
03-30-2011, 11:37 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

And when Drury was given the opportunity he failed at it. When given the chance to play with Gaborik he failed when Christensen succeeded, so Christensen continued to play there. When given the opportunity to play right wing with Anisimov and Dubinsky he failed there where Callahan succeeded. When does it become about Drury not producing and others producing where he didn't?
Come on. When was Drury really given the opportunity?

Again, it comes down to EC's potential offense and Drury's potential defense. You know where I fall.

With that said, I'm done with this. I feel my opinions are pretty clear. And it's all irrelevant as I don't think Drury will be back this season. I just answered the question "Who would Drury replace in the lineup?"

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:44 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im not here to make excuses for Drury, his contract was/is out of control and hes clearly lost a step. But it seems that the ridiculous deal he signed and the obvious signs of decline are making their way into hatchet jobs on Drury the person/Drury the teammate, and that doesnt sit right with me. After watching him play throughout his career, and these last 3+ seasons as a Ranger, I dont know how anyone could say Drury hasnt given everything he has.

Truth be told, I dont know if he'll help the team much if hes able to come back from this latest injury, but I know he wont hurt it. Specifically, he wont let himself hurt the team, and thats what I find most admirable about Chris Drury. (Cue the redundant and all-too-predictable responses about how retiring is what will really help the team).

The truth of the matter is this team has been successful lately playing a more defensive-oriented brand of hockey. Kind of ironic considering our coach came in blaring that "safe is death" motto. But alas, lacking high-end offensive talent will cause any coach to adapt. With that said, getting a healthy Drury into the lineup would only help as far as Im concerned.

And when you look at who would sit if Drury returns, the obvious candidates are Christensen and Zuccarello. Some people are complaining about this because EC and MZA have "higher offensive upside." Well, what good is that offensive ability when they cannot score consistently?
I'm intentionally double posting because I want to separate Drury the player and Drury the Contract.

Too often people blend the two and say that he's unfairly cursed because he can't live up to his 7million cap hit burden, laden upon him by his foolish GM. Though while having collected 16 million over the past two seasons and produced and astounding 14goals and 22assists in that same time, the highly moral, ethical, and model leader will more than likely force a buyout of his last 5million. To the contrary, the selfish and much maligned Wade Redden considers breaching his contract and foregoing his final 16.5 million. Kind of ironic isn't it?

Still what's more ironic is that Drury would have stayed in the sport that he was truly passionate about, BASEBALL, and found himself with an agent with a name like SCOTT BORAS, then his contract wouldn't have been just about his GM. For some reason, in Baseball, contracts are about players, agents and owners, but in Hockey, it's only about the GM and the agent and the player have nothing to do with it. Funny.

Last edited by vipernsx: 03-30-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old
03-30-2011, 11:50 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Come on. When was Drury really given the opportunity?
When Callahan was hurt, he was terrible playing with Dubinsky and AA...terrible! Zero fore checking presence...none! I don't know if he's stuck in 3rd forward high mode or he's just two slow to get into the zone.

He was tried last year with Gabby and he was terrible there too.

Fore the record, I am not a fan of EC. But Drury has been given a chance to play with Gabby and to play with AA and Dubby and he keeps falling like a rock to the 4th line. With all the Injuries this team has gone through......Chris freakin Newbury and Chad Kolarik were ahead of him on the depth charts, he was playing so poorly...c'mon.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:15 PM
MSG the place to be*

Can someone explain to me how a guy's offensive game can fall off the map, but his defensive game is still top notch??? It seems to me that the same things that give me facepalms in the offensive zone (no skating ability, getting pushed off the puck, no hands or touch with the puck) are the same things that give me agita in the defensive and neutral zones with the guy.

I just love how we try to split apart different phases of Drury's game like there is no correlation. Defense leads to offense and offense is followed by defense. And all the while there is that area inbetween the blue lines were I'm pretty sure you need skating, good hands, and playmaking instincts.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:31 PM
TrollololBoyle

What is Drury's status as of now? Will he even be ready for the playoffs coming off surgery? If not, this whole thing renders pointless. I think EC gets the nod regardless.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

How anyone can believe that drury will be in game shape for the playoffs is beyond me.

I do believe he still has some left in the tank to be a valuable piece. But this year he should be shut down. He won't be ready for the playoffs and they can't afford to have a guy who has barely even skated this year on the ice with guys who are at their ultimate best.

I wouldn't trust him being on the ice for the drop of the puck in the playoffs, let alone the last minute. Maybe next year if he comes back healthy.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 01:29 PM
DrAStuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
What is Drury's status as of now? Will he even be ready for the playoffs coming off surgery? If not, this whole thing renders pointless. I think EC gets the nod regardless.

According to Andrew Gross:

I asked coach John Tortorella for some injury updates and he said neither Chris Drury nor Marty Biron are skating yet. In fact, among the injured Rangers, he said only Derek Boogaard has been on the ice and, of course, Boogaard is not expected to rejoin the lineup at any point, including the playoffs.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...thy_scratches/

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If he isn't even skating yet, i'd be amazed to see him ready for the first round of the playoffs.

So the whole argument is kind of moot.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Ola

Viper- first of all, I didnt say that Drury should be played over anyone, all I said was that he would be a asset. It not all that unusual with injurys, in 06 Buffalo at one point had 6 Ds injured at the same time...

You can't have too many bodies in the POs. I am not sayin Dru should start if everyone is available. But if we loose 2 guys, he could be valuable. So yeah, it would be great if he returned.

BTW do not underrate experience in the POs.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Can someone explain to me how a guy's offensive game can fall off the map, but his defensive game is still top notch??? It seems to me that the same things that give me facepalms in the offensive zone (no skating ability, getting pushed off the puck, no hands or touch with the puck) are the same things that give me agita in the defensive and neutral zones with the guy.

I just love how we try to split apart different phases of Drury's game like there is no correlation. Defense leads to offense and offense is followed by defense. And all the while there is that area inbetween the blue lines were I'm pretty sure you need skating, good hands, and playmaking instincts.
I can, you either score or you don't. Most players scoring walk a very fine line, sometimes pucks go in or they don't. I've seen Drury crash the net like a nut looking to bang in a rebound, I've seen him unleash good one timers -- but it has not materialized. There is the difference between scoring 20+30 or not scoring at all (since you don't get ice time et c). Dru was never all that much better then he is now. Stats fouls you. Look at Higgins this year for another example.

Defensively you play with completely different marginals. Sometimes it's just about keeping your cool. Not starting to do something you would not have done in G20 of the season just before it's the POs et c.

Of course having a guy like Dru is a asset come
PO time. We will loose guys foe sure during a run if we go deep.