HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with Del Zotto.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:44 PM
SPG

vCash: 500
Easy. Let the kid develop.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
I agree with what you're saying, but I think the real reason people have soured on him is even more short-sighted than this. I mean he stunk defensively in his 1st year and most people were perfectly willing to overlook that so long as he was putting up points. What changed this year and I think really caused people to change their view on him is that his offensive production dried up. Other teams wised up to his home-run passes and he lost his best target in Gaborik to whatever you want to chalk that up to.
I agree completely. I'm just saying that it shouldn't be surprising to people. He's always had these holes in his game, but like you said, it's easier to look the other way when he's producing. I think he'll be fine in the long run, my concern is where does he fit in with the team moving forward given that Staal is elite, and McDonagh appears to be following in his footsteps.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I agree completely. I'm just saying that it shouldn't be surprising to people. He's always had these holes in his game, but like you said, it's easier to look the other way when he's producing. I think he'll be fine in the long run, my concern is where does he fit in with the team moving forward given that Staal is elite, and McDonagh appears to be following in his footsteps.
I think he has a place. Maybe not next year...but eventually we're going to need real offensive talent from the blue-line. Our top 4 are all extremely reliable, but none of them have the creativity that Del Zotto has. That's a skill that can't be taught. The other parts of his game that need work: speed, shot, defense, maturity etc. can all be worked on.

I think a lot of people forget his age. He's going to be 21 when next year starts. There isn't any rush to get his 24 minutes a game. I don't see a problem with him paying some dues in the minors or being a 3rd pair guy until he proves otherwise. One thing that needs to happen, and it's been brought up before, is that he needs a reliable partner.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

Anyone who reads the trade board knows the answer to this is trade him, Callahan/Anisimov, and a 2nd rounder to Atlanta for Zach Bogosian.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote