HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations Part II

Old
03-30-2011, 01:22 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
The bridge looks like something that might be interesting to check out a couple of times but that thing is going to get old fast. Just seems like a novelty idea to me.
The bridges are going to be "club seats".... You will probably need a large party and have to pay a fortune to get them.... Your average fan won't be able to go online and purchase a seat for up there. Stupid novelty idea that has no benefit for the average fan in attendance.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 01:53 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
The bridges are going to be "club seats".... You will probably need a large party and have to pay a fortune to get them.... Your average fan won't be able to go online and purchase a seat for up there. Stupid novelty idea that has no benefit for the average fan in attendance.
I believe it's been stated that the bridge will be open access for anyone in the arena so even if you don't have tickets for up there, you could still walk across.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 01:57 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I believe it's been stated that the bridge will be open access for anyone in the arena so even if you don't have tickets for up there, you could still walk across.
There will prob be a Garden rep at each end charging a "toll" to cross the bridge...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:00 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
How on earth are they going to manage that?

I remembered reading an article that said the skybridge would be club seating...

Old
03-30-2011, 02:11 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
There will prob be a Garden rep at each end charging a "toll" to cross the bridge...
I laughed pretty hard at that, sadly because I could see something like that happening.

Quote:
How on earth are they going to manage that?

I remembered reading an article that said the skybridge would be club seating...
I read that too than there was something else that said it would be accessible to everyone. Someone's gotta go through the old thread and pull up all the links and probably put it in the OP of this thread.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:26 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I laughed pretty hard at that, sadly because I could see something like that happening.

I read that too than there was something else that said it would be accessible to everyone. Someone's gotta go through the old thread and pull up all the links and probably put it in the OP of this thread.
Some of the ushers up in the 400's don't even let you stand at the back of your section for too long before telling you to "find your seat"... Can't imagine they are going to let people loiter and lolligag around up on the skybridge.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:35 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Some of the ushers up in the 400's don't even let you stand at the back of your section for too long before telling you to "find your seat"... Can't imagine they are going to let people loiter and lolligag around up on the skybridge.
Just looked through the old thread real quickly and you're right about the "premium seats" thing. I could have sworn I read something about the bridge being open to everyone but I can't seem to find it. Hopefully someone backs me up on this

Old
03-30-2011, 02:37 PM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Just looked through the old thread real quickly and you're right about the "premium seats" thing. I could have sworn I read something about the bridge being open to everyone but I can't seem to find it. Hopefully someone backs me up on this
I could've swore I read the actual seats themselves up there are premium but anyone in the arena can walk the bridge.

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Blueshirt Special

I just read that the "bridge" will require "premium" seating pricing (upwards of $150.00 per) and this is over whatever your regular season subscription price is.

Plus: The contractor they are using is known for skimping on materials, so the bridge will likely only last 1-2 years at best and will probaly fall onto the 300 & 400 seats. Of course! the die-hard fans in the blue-collar seats get screwed once again!

Then Lou Lamoriello is supposed to come over to The Garden and eat our children, while Ilya Kolvachuk takes our women and uses our season subscription $$ to sign Parise to the devils for a 10 year contract.

Ranger fans are so screwed.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 04:09 PM
jeff spicoli

When they started talking about seats on the bridges, the first thing that popped into my head for a comparison are the seats on the Green Monster at Fenway. Those are some of the most expensive seats in the house.

jeff spicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
That is ****ing hilarious

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 04:12 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Yeah, I've gotta agree with wolfgaze here, there's no way they are going to let people just walk around on that bridge. If it's being made to attract the corporates, and I'm assuming that is the only reason it's being made, the last thing MSG will want is the "rabble" from the 400's getting anywhere close to those people. That glass will probably be noise proof, enthusiasm proof and bulletproof.

I can't wait until they have problems selling those seats. They might be a hot commodity for the first season or even the first couple of seasons because the corporations will want to show off the new novelty but I can't see it lasting. Honestly, who wants to watch a hockey game from that perspective? Only coaches would find that viewpoint attractive.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 06:35 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
That view is NOT from the seats! lol

Come'on guys! Do you really think they are going to put an obstruction in front of seats?!!
Citi Field did.

03-30-2011, 06:51 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Hanging structures in an arena just diminishes the feel of an 'arena'.... The openness is required and adds to the experience.... The way these renderings look, instead of sitting in the upper levels of the arena and looking across the arena and seeing the opposing sections of fans, you're going to see more building and people walking around and moving about and to me, that's an eyesore.... I want to look up at Gardenvision to see the score, time left, replays, etc... Not some 60" plasma TV handing from a skywalk.

Old
03-31-2011, 08:59 AM
nyrmetros

ughhhh.... all I can offer.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
The twisted side of me would find it hilarious if both the Knicks and Rangers fell out of the playoffs right after Dolan announces a price hike and right before he starts expensive renovations.

As far as the bridge goes... A hanging structure giving fans the ability to throw things on the fans below and the ice surface. Who is the genius that came up with that one? I'm guessing massive lawsuit before too long.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:43 AM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Hanging structures in an arena just diminishes the feel of an 'arena'.... The openness is required and adds to the experience.... The way these renderings look, instead of sitting in the upper levels of the arena and looking across the arena and seeing the opposing sections of fans, you're going to see more building and people walking around and moving about and to me, that's an eyesore.... I want to look up at Gardenvision to see the score, time left, replays, etc... Not some 60" plasma TV handing from a skywalk.
Really well said. I'm not a STH, but if I was I'd be pissed if my 400 level seats were on the same side as the skywalk. I'd try to move to the opposite side of the ice. I know I'll be trying to find seats on the opposite side whenever I look to buy individual game tickets.

Old
04-01-2011, 10:51 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
Really well said. I'm not a STH, but if I was I'd be pissed if my 400 level seats were on the same side as the skywalk. I'd try to move to the opposite side of the ice. I know I'll be trying to find seats on the opposite side whenever I look to buy individual game tickets.
The sky bridges are on both sides of the ice...therefore moving to the "opposite" side would offer no relief. The only option would be to move to one of the ends of the rink behind either goal.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:57 AM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
As far as the bridge goes... A hanging structure giving fans the ability to throw things on the fans below and the ice surface. Who is the genius that came up with that one? I'm guessing massive lawsuit before too long.

I don't understand why nobody is getting this. Ok, to start, i am not an advocate of the bridges, but people keep bringing up points like this.

For one, the bridges are over the stands, not the ice, and quite a distance back & away. MSG is wide. Wider than most arenas. You can have the bridges hover somewhere over the existing 200s section, and still not be anywhere near the ice.

Second, as for "throwing things down onto the fans below" you can do that RIGHT NOW. 1/3 of the 400 section is directly above the 300s... a "balcony" condition that is *identical* to how a bridge would hang over the seating below. And people throwing stuff below almost never happens. The most i have ever witnessed is paper being torn up and thrown, at the end of the game in a playoff game, and i sit up there, on the end in the 400s, for most every game.

Also, look at most baseball stadiums. The majority have tiered sections that hand directly over the seating below. It would be no different here.

While the bridges might be a gimmick, what that aren't is unsafe.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 11:16 AM
skroob**

excuse the Q&D image.

I took the seating chart for NHL at MSG. A adjusted the 400 section (purple) to reflect the actual conditions (the lower bowl is an oval, but the 400s is circle, like the exterior wall of MSG, it therefore hangs over the 300s at the short end (just like a bridge would do!), and meets up with the 300s at the long side.

I then overlayed two ~25' wide "bridges" over the space (seen in red).

As you can see, there is enough lateral space within MSG that not only are can you keep the bridges 50-75' away form the edge of the rink, you also have plenty of room on the other side a well to make it seem as if it is floating and not adjacent to the 400s (future party deck or some crap like that).

Again, im not saying it is a good idea, just that it does not create any of the issue people keep bringing up here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HOCKEY_CHART.jpg‎ (90.0 KB, 35 views)

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
I don't understand why nobody is getting this. Ok, to start, i am not an advocate of the bridges, but people keep bringing up points like this.

For one, the bridges are over the stands, not the ice, and quite a distance back & away. MSG is wide. Wider than most arenas. You can have the bridges hover somewhere over the existing 200s section, and still not be anywhere near the ice.

Second, as for "throwing things down onto the fans below" you can do that RIGHT NOW. 1/3 of the 400 section is directly above the 300s... a "balcony" condition that is *identical* to how a bridge would hang over the seating below. And people throwing stuff below almost never happens. The most i have ever witnessed is paper being torn up and thrown, at the end of the game in a playoff game, and i sit up there, on the end in the 400s, for most every game.

Also, look at most baseball stadiums. The majority have tiered sections that hand directly over the seating below. It would be no different here.

While the bridges might be a gimmick, what that aren't is unsafe.

I see stuff thrown down from the 400s all the time. Last game I was at I watched fans in the 300s doused with both soda and food, while security mostly just shrugged its shoulders. Furthermore, it would not take a lot of arm strength to reach the ice surface from a bridge over the 200's that high up.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 12:00 PM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
The sky bridges are on both sides of the ice...therefore moving to the "opposite" side would offer no relief. The only option would be to move to one of the ends of the rink behind either goal.
Really? Darn it. The artist renderings made it look like there was only gonna be one bridge. Guess I was wrong there.

Old
04-09-2011, 09:14 AM
nyrmetros

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB...od=BOL_hpp_mag

"To some, the biggest news at MSG might not be the Knicks' ascendancy but the makeover of the aging Garden, which will take two years to complete and result in an expansion of luxury boxes and concession space. The company also will install wired billboards to display ads based on audience demographics."

Wired billboards ehh?

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote