HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers are "in on" Stephane Da Costa (UPDATE - Signs w/ Senators)

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2011, 02:27 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers are "in on" Stephane Da Costa (UPDATE - Signs w/ Senators)

Quote:
Post is told Rangers are in on Da Costa, though unclear if they have a legitimate shot at signing undrafted free agent C out of Merrimack
https://twitter.com/#!/NYP_Brooksie/...39757395484673

Da Costa is supposed to make his choice today. That was the report a few days ago. Wednesday. He is represented by Don Meehan's agency. They also rep Zuccarello. Similar situtations.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:36 PM
eco's bones

The French guy I believe? He's really good.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:40 PM
NYR Viper

This would be a GREAT signing. All they have to do is show him the opportunities the young players are getting in NY and offer him a sweet contract. PLEASE be true!

Old
03-30-2011, 02:53 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Old
03-30-2011, 02:54 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Don't know much about him, anyone have any insight on him?

Old
03-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
A lot has been said about him here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=740811

Here's an HF-article blurb from early March:
Quote:
Da Costa has become the hottest commodity on the collegiate free agent market, and it's not hard to see why. The French-born center first got the attention of NHL scouts last season after a capping a sensational freshman campaign that earned him Hockey East's Rookie of the Year.

This season, Da Costa continues to be one of the driving offensive forces behind Merrimack's terrific season. He currently leads the Warriors with 39 points (14 goals, 25 assists) in 28 appearances. His 116 shots also lead the team, while his 25 assists co-lead the team. Da Costa suffered a knee injury back on Feb. 11 at New Hampshire that forced him to miss five games. He is expected to play when Merrimack opens their Hockey East tournament quarterfinal series hosting Maine beginning on Mar. 11. While Da Costa has played with different linemates over the course of the season, he recently played on a line with freshman Mike Collins and junior Jesse Todd.

Da Costa is a dynamic 5'11/180 lbs center that possesses tremendous hockey sense with equally good vision, hands and creativity. And it is what he does with those attributes that has gotten so much attention from the NHL. Da Costa possesses an uncanny ability to find and utilize open patches of ice to consistently create smart, effective plays. He follows plays exceedingly well and can make plays in transition. He also possesses great finishing ability as well. While not lightning fast, Da Costa does possess some good speed and does a good job of consistently keeping his feet moving. He maintains very good balance on his skates and despite being a smaller player uses his body quite well in protecting the puck. Another of Da Costa's notable assets is his blistering shot. He is not a particularly physical player, but does play with some competitive edge to his game.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...gent_interest/

Old
03-30-2011, 03:01 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Quote:
Dan Sallows -

At 5-foot-11, 180-pounds, Da Costa isnít overly big, but he more than makes up for it with his hockey smarts, vision, and pure goal scoring ability. He is a great skater, very elusive, has outstanding puckhandling ability, a good shot, and is a brilliant playmaker. The NHL quickly came knocking after his electric debut, scoring 5 goals in his first home game with Merrimack, but the youngster has opted to play at least one more year with the Warriors program.
http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2011...phane-da-costa

Quote:
Fan on HFBoards -

Excellent vision, great passer, great hands, not the best skater but gets in and out of traffic with the best of 'em. Uses his body well in the corners and on the wall to protect the puck. He's definitely a center but needs some work in the circle. Despite what you might hear he's an excellent penalty killer, has amazing anticipation when reading other players, gets his stick in the way of passes a lot. Runs the power play with ease and has a seeing eye shot.
Skilled player with very good hockey sense. Not overly physical or fast but knows where the open ice is. Sounds a lot like Stepan.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:10 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

This kid reminds me a lot of Rene Bourque.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:12 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
This kid reminds me a lot of Rene Bourque.
Really? I have only seen him once but I didnt see the comparison there. I saw maybe a Kreijci-like player. Bourque is very physical.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:18 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Really? I have only seen him once but I didnt see the comparison there. I saw maybe a Kreijci-like player. Bourque is very physical.
Bourque isn't really physical -- he just plays with an edge. The same can be said for Costa. Both don't play w/ an edge consistently though.

Both have decent speed and see the ice well. Both own a decent shot. Bourque is just a bit bigger than Costa.

This is just what I see from watching a handful games of Costa, and many games of Bourque.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:25 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Expected. The Rangers are always "in on" these types of players. They usually flop, ala Brunstrom or Girlroy.

Wouldn't hurt, though, He sounds pretty talented.

03-30-2011, 03:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Elliott Friedman

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...-with-nhl.html

The local Merrimack paper on Monday listed Ottawa,Minny and Florida as the leading contenders.

http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/x...eet-with-agent

Last edited by RangerBoy: 03-30-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old
03-30-2011, 03:38 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Expected. The Rangers are always "in on" these types of players. They usually flop, ala Brunstrom or Girlroy.

Wouldn't hurt, though, He sounds pretty talented.
It does sometimes work out. You won't know till you try. Dan Girardi is a great example on our very own club....other worthy undraftees include:
Niklas Backstrom
Ed Belfour
Sergei Bobrovsky
Rene Bourque
Dan Boyle
Alex Burrows
Dino Ciccarelli
Pascal Dupuis
Ruslan Fedotenko
Mark Giordano
Curtis Glencross
Josh Gorges
Glenn Healy
Jonas Hiller
Anders Hedberg
Curtis Joseph
Chris Kunitz
John Madden
Zybynek Michalek
Anti Niemmi
Adam Oates
Dustin Penner
Brian Rafalski
Dwayne Roloson
Martin St Louis
Peter Stastny

Don't feel like mentioning Gilroy in that list. Zuccarello is a work in progress. Avery is undrafted too but isn't worthy to be mentioned in that list, like Gilroy.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:40 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Bourque isn't really physical -- he just plays with an edge. The same can be said for Costa. Both don't play w/ an edge consistently though.

Both have decent speed and see the ice well. Both own a decent shot. Bourque is just a bit bigger than Costa.

This is just what I see from watching a handful games of Costa, and many games of Bourque.
I could see that. Alright. I wasn't attacking you just didnt really see the physical side that Bourque brings in that one game.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:41 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Elliott Friedman

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...-with-nhl.html

The local Merrimack paper on Monday listed Ottawa,Minny and Florida as the leading contenders.

http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/x...eet-with-agent
I ultimately see Minnesota as the winner, but I would not be surprised with the other two. My dark horse candidate is Colorado, but I have yet to see the two connected.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

This kid is a boom-or-bust prospect.

Very, very talented kid who can distribute the puck as well as knock in the odd goal.

I'd compare him to Michael Nylander, maybe big shoes to fill there but I would be very enthused if we got our paws on him.

Worth taking the risk, doesn't cost us a draft pick and he, unlike the Alaska kids we have been signing actually has an NHL top 6 upside.

03-30-2011, 03:49 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Someone tweeted today about Da Costa meeting with some teams. Twitter is screwed up right now. I think it was Friedman. Da Costa met with Minnesota. Some other teams too.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:53 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
This kid is a boom-or-bust prospect.

Very, very talented kid who can distribute the puck as well as knock in the odd goal.

I'd compare him to Michael Nylander, maybe big shoes to fill there but I would be very enthused if we got our paws on him.

Worth taking the risk, doesn't cost us a draft pick and he, unlike the Alaska kids we have been signing actually has an NHL top 6 upside.
Costa can let it go...Nylander on the other hand...

Old
03-30-2011, 03:59 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Source says the Rangers have made a push for Stephane Da Costa as well. Still seems that OTT, FLA or MIN are likely destinations.
https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahonET/st...51909531484160

Merrimack beat writer

Old
03-30-2011, 04:05 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I bet if we sign him we won't go after Richards.

#sarcasm

Old
03-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Ola

I can't comment on Da Costa, but I certainly wouldn't turn down a chance to get a playmaking center...

Old
03-30-2011, 04:30 PM
broadwayblue

OTT, FLA or MIN are likely destinations? Maybe I'm a homer...but why would a kid want to go to any of those teams over the Rangers? Perhaps they can guarantee him playing time.

Old
03-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I'm not sure why he'd sign with any of the aforementioned teams over the Rangers. I guess I could see Ottawa.

edit: broadwayblue is probably right- playing time

Old
03-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I'm not sure why he'd sign with any of the aforementioned teams over the Rangers. I guess I could see Ottawa.

edit: broadwayblue is probably right- playing time

Actually, if anything, I would want to be in Miami from October to April every year than in Ottawa. I'd rather be swimming on the beach than getting frozen in inhumane Canadian weather.

Plus, in the US, you get don't get harassed like you would in Canada as a hockey player. There are enough fans to recognize you to make it pleasant, but not so much that it overwhelms you and you can't go outside without getting annoyed.

Old
03-30-2011, 04:49 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
OTT, FLA or MIN are likely destinations? Maybe I'm a homer...but why would a kid want to go to any of those teams over the Rangers? Perhaps they can guarantee him playing time.
Exactly. If you were a FA coming out of college, would you rather go to a team like the Flyers, where you might not eve crack the roster, or go to a team like Florida where they guarantee you some top-6 time? He could always sign with another team later in his career. Right now his priority should be establishing himself, not playing for a big check.

Closed Thread