HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is last night's team (vs. the Penguins) the real Flyers?

Old
03-30-2011, 11:39 AM
MrHockey1982

vCash: 500
Is last night's team (vs. the Penguins) the real Flyers?

Upon reading this news article before the game last night:

http://www.csnphilly.com/03/29/11/Pe...898&feedID=704

I have to put into question Sean O'Donnell's comments:

"After going to the Final last year, after getting the great start we had this year, some guys have kind of thought, perhaps not a conscious thing, but they’re thinking ‘let’s save it’ because the playoffs are a two-month grind to win the Cup,” O’Donnell said.

“But now it’s time. We really need to start winning. We need a nice run here to make sure that come Game 1 in the playoffs, we’re ready and this Pittsburgh game is a great test for us.”

That is a very bold statement IMO. If it is true, it could be looked at as either being very smart or complacent. Maybe it will work in our favor or maybe not. All I know is that we need to see that team from last night, minus Bob's questionable second goal and some foolish penalties, to do well in the playoffs. Thoughts?

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:55 AM
DrHamburg

"It's sometimes tough when teams are not that close to you and you're clear for playoffs and you're in the number one spot," Leino said. "But now teams are close to us. This was a desperate game today, and we played good."

That was from espn.com. similar

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
We'll see what happens against NYR.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Cartsiephan*

I hope not, nice win but the play in all three zones is still a bit sloppy, not good enough to win a Cup. Take the 2nd and 3rd period of the Caps game as the team who needs to show up in the playoffs.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 01:40 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
I hope not, nice win but the play in all three zones is still a bit sloppy, not good enough to win a Cup. Take the 2nd and 3rd period of the Caps game as the team who needs to show up in the playoffs.

I see your point. But my main overall argument is that they were desperate. That's what we need to win.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:09 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

What we need is not desperation. I mean you obviously need that, but what's more important is team play, consistency, and constant hard work. Not two periods of hard work and a lackadaisical effort in one. On top of that, SOMEHOW our PP needs to start clicking. If we can fire on the PP I doubt many teams will be able to stop us.

Point being, there is still A LOT this team needs to win the Stanley Cup and they don't have a lot of time to figure it out either. Playoffs are a few weeks away.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 03:25 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
What we need is not desperation. I mean you obviously need that, but what's more important is team play, consistency, and constant hard work. Not two periods of hard work and a lackadaisical effort in one. On top of that, SOMEHOW our PP needs to start clicking. If we can fire on the PP I doubt many teams will be able to stop us.

Point being, there is still A LOT this team needs to win the Stanley Cup and they don't have a lot of time to figure it out either. Playoffs are a few weeks away.

OK but you could put a lot of what you just said into a similar category that is basically desperation. Team play is the only one that is not. Consistency and constant hard work will come with desperation.

The power play basically had 2 goals last night as well. If the power play is more desperate, they should do better too.

The Flyers were playing without any desperation the last few weeks/months and it showed.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
I see your point. But my main overall argument is that they were desperate. That's what we need to win.
I'll take the play last night over what we have seen over the last month. Teams are gearing up for the playoffs, make a little run here and go into the playoffs with some confidence and they are good to go. If not, first or second round loss.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Snipsnap12

All this talk about desperation and solid effort is true, but until you are faced with the same fate as the other team it is hard to match the effort, it is human nature. That is why the 4th game of a series is the most difficult to win, it is why boston could not close us out last year.... this team shows it plays with desperation when it counts, and that makes me feel good

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
That's a team that I don't believe can be beaten.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 06:28 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
That's a team that I don't believe can be beaten.
Not by anyone in the East anyway.

If the Flyers don't beat themselves, they are 12-4 at worst after 3 rounds.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 06:30 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
DON'T BE RIDICULOUS! EVERYONE KNOWS THAT A SLUMP LIKE THE ONE THE FLYERS HAVE BEEN IN FOR THE LAST LITTLE WHILE IS MORE INDICATIVE OF THE TEAM'S ABILITIES THAN THE OTHER 50 OR SO GAMES THAT WERE PLAYED! THIS TEAM IS DOOMED BECAUSE THERE HAVE BEEN NO SHUTOUTS AND THEY ARE IN A SLUMP!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 12:19 AM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

I hope not, because let's be honest, If Carter didn't score it wouldn't have been a blowout

Really though, what won that game for us was some really lucky bounces off Fleury and the fact that Leino is the gretzky of pinball (thanks for the analogy to whoever posted that in the GDT).

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 05:41 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

The flyers currently have a team, that if it turns up cannot be beaten. I know thats a pretty big statement to make, but with everyone going balls to the wall this team cannot be beaten by anyone in the league.

The trouble is, for the flyers to turn up not only every game, but in every period. I said this quite some time ago, the powerplay will return to form now, as lavy isn't going to be rewarding players with PP time, he's going to stick to two units and let them run their course.

When the play-offs roll around, i don't want to see a complacent flyers team. This is the year we could win it all.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 06:11 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
DON'T BE RIDICULOUS! EVERYONE KNOWS THAT A SLUMP LIKE THE ONE THE FLYERS HAVE BEEN IN FOR THE LAST LITTLE WHILE IS MORE INDICATIVE OF THE TEAM'S ABILITIES THAN THE OTHER 50 OR SO GAMES THAT WERE PLAYED! THIS TEAM IS DOOMED BECAUSE THERE HAVE BEEN NO SHUTOUTS AND THEY ARE IN A SLUMP!

2 months != a slump.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 07:34 AM
ThePiousInfant

Human nature. With an 82 game season + playoffs, it's difficult/impossible to put it all on the line every night when for a lot of those nights, nobody is even close in the standings. You just hope that when it comes time to turn it back on, you don't have too much rust.

ThePiousInfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:17 AM
MrHockey1982

I am inclined to agree with you all. However, the Canucks don't seem to be having this "human nature" issue. But I am hoping that the Canucks will wear themselves out and the Flyers have that leftover energy that they are talking about.

Old
03-31-2011, 09:40 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
I am inclined to agree with you all. However, the Canucks don't seem to be having this "human nature" issue. But I am hoping that the Canucks will wear themselves out and the Flyers have that leftover energy that they are talking about.
They have two clones and a cocky mother ****er that resembles a badger anchoring that team, nothing human about them

Alright maybe im stretching a little with the badger thing...point is **** em

Last edited by decadentia: 03-31-2011 at 09:48 AM.
decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:58 AM
MrHockey1982

Great article supporting this question:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...ws|text|Flyers

Old
04-05-2011, 11:17 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

the pittsburgh game is what happens when briere and leino decide they want to play.

PhillyFlying is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
the pittsburgh game is what happens when briere and leino decide they want to play.
Wrong, the Pens game is what happens when the TEAM shows up to play. They have survived on many individual efforts throughout the season, HBL single-handedly carried this offense over the first two months, but for this team to succeed the best players in the regular season need to be the best players in the post-season.

Old
04-05-2011, 11:32 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Wrong, the Pens game is what happens when the TEAM shows up to play. They have survived on many individual efforts throughout the season, HBL single-handedly carried this offense over the first two months, but for this team to succeed the best players in the regular season need to be the best players in the post-season.
HBL took over the game in pittsburgh. what a lot of people seem to forget is that the first period was as god-awful a period as they've played during this slump. then they inched their way back into the game and HBL put it out of reach. imo their presence is the difference for this team.

PhillyFlying is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Amateur Hour

The answer to this thread title is a resounding "**** NO."

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote