HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brad Richards news thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2011, 09:04 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
For what price though? That concussion IS a big deal.

Is it possible to steal away Parise?

I have to be honest, I haven't seen much of Richards play. I just don't want to see another typical Rangers-albatross contract on the same length as Redden, Drury, or Gomez.
Richards is a top-10 center in the league. Offensively and Defensively he is WAY ahead of Gomez and Drury. On top of all of that he can very easily slide over to wing if need be in a year or 2 as he played wing in TB.

He makes the players around him better. He is a PP QB and excels on the PP with his passing and creativity.

Old
03-30-2011, 05:02 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
I watched Richards extensively living here in TB, and have followed his career closely since being traded... against his will by the way.

He is exactly what this team needs. A legit #1 center, passer extraordinaire, veteran presence, good locker room guy, plays point on the PP and acts as a QB, big body...what of these don't we need?

PLUS Torts loves this guy.

You don't pass up the chance to land Brad Richards, even after the concussion. He'll have to whole offseason to rest and he will come back like an animal. A beast.

Look, I may be biased toward BR, living it Tampa and all, but I'm not blindly hoping we get him to satisfy myself.

He fills several holes that we have just by himself. He also makes all around him better and will take some pressure off Gabby, especially when they eventually play on different lines.

I can't wait for him to be a Ranger, and I honestly believe he wants to be one, and will be one this Summer.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
Old
03-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Pugs35

I haven't been very impressed with Richard's play since he came back from the injury to be honest. He doesn't really seem all that engaged or productive to me, nor does he look like an elite level player right now.

Old
03-30-2011, 05:22 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
I haven't been very impressed with Richard's play since he came back from the injury to be honest. He doesn't really seem all that engaged or productive to me, nor does he look like an elite level player right now.
Agreed.

Old
03-30-2011, 05:55 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

This is the mistake that DAL may have made.

It was clear they were trying to make a run in the playoffs, but now with the chance that they will miss the playoffs and have Brad Richards walk for nothing is bad for their franchise.

I understood the choice they made, but at the same time they were taking a big risk, they could have gotten some good value for him, but if he walks for nothing that will hurt them.

03-30-2011, 06:36 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
How many Stars games would you normally be watching? (asking honestly)

He has 6 points over his 9 games since returning, however Dallas has lost 7 out of those 9 games.

Old
03-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
How many Stars games would you normally be watching? (asking honestly)

He has 6 points over his 9 games since returning, however Dallas has lost 7 out of those 9 games.
I bought the NHL Gamecenter a few weeks back and have been able to watch probably 3-5 of those games since (with the DVR option).

He hasn't been terrible or anything, but I think the Stars were looking for more of an impact since he got back. Hopefully for their sake and ours it's just a slump.

Old
03-30-2011, 07:02 PM
MPJohnny5

There is no ignoring this fact guys... Richards was willing to waive his no trade for one team and one team only. Tsn reported this the day of the deadline. Dreger has said all along his feeling is Richards is signing with new York. It's pretty well known if you ask me but what do I know, I guess we will find out July 1st...

Old
03-30-2011, 08:01 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT4Johnny View Post
There is no ignoring this fact guys... Richards was willing to waive his no trade for one team and one team only. Tsn reported this the day of the deadline. Dreger has said all along his feeling is Richards is signing with new York. It's pretty well known if you ask me but what do I know, I guess we will find out July 1st...
Exactly. It's really more of a "when" than an "if" in regards to him coming here. It would be a huge surprise if he isn't a Ranger while it would be expected if/when he does sign.

And I for one am extremely excited about it. One of the top 10 centers in the league, great on the PP, playoff performer and Cup winner, and a "Torts kind of guy." Sign me up.

Old
03-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Every time we get shut out this thread jumps to the top of the 1st page. I can't wait for him to come here and put up 46 points.

Old
03-30-2011, 08:51 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Every time we get shut out this thread jumps to the top of the 1st page. I can't wait for him to come here and put up 46 points.
And I can't wait till he's setting up Gaborik to put us over in games like this.

Old
03-30-2011, 08:55 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
That would make sense though wouldn't it? The creativity on this team is non-existent. Nothing wrong with working hard and trying to grind games out, but to be elite you need to mix that with creativity. Who on this team can be called a legitimate puck-carrying playmaker? Right now: no one. Richards is exactly that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
And I can't wait till he's setting up Gaborik to put us over in games like this.
Exactly. That and having a competent player running the PP. In games like this one good PP and a PP goal could be the difference.

Old
03-30-2011, 08:56 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Honestly, you guys really are overrating him.

Old
03-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
What good is setting up a guy who can't finish? Gaborik is already getting plenty of chances. Richards can't put the puck in for him.

Couple that with the fact that not one big free agent has come here and not disappointed besides Messier, and this is a disaster. Richards = Drury/Gomez/Redden.

Old
03-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Honestly, you guys really are overrating him.

Old
03-30-2011, 09:09 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
What good is setting up a guy who can't finish? Gaborik is already getting plenty of chances. Richards can't put the puck in for him.

Couple that with the fact that not one big free agent has come here and not disappointed besides Messier, and this is a disaster. Richards = Drury/Gomez/Redden.
Messier was actually a trade acquisition, not a UFA.

Old
03-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Do you watch the games and watch what Gaborik is asked to do? Hes being counted on to rush the puck, be a focal point of the offense, and pretty much be a creator. Thats not his game. Hes a stealthy played with very good speed and a quick release on his shot. He NEEDS a #1 center in the worst way.

I wont even touch your Richards = Drury/Gaborik/Redden comment. A simple scan of their career stats proves you dead wrong before an argument even starts.

Old
03-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Messier was actually a trade acquisition, not a UFA.
Right. A big name acquisition I should've said.

Old
03-30-2011, 09:27 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Right. A big name acquisition I should've said.
Ummmm......

Old
03-30-2011, 10:42 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
This is the mistake that DAL may have made.

It was clear they were trying to make a run in the playoffs, but now with the chance that they will miss the playoffs and have Brad Richards walk for nothing is bad for their franchise.

I understood the choice they made, but at the same time they were taking a big risk, they could have gotten some good value for him, but if he walks for nothing that will hurt them.
And to make it worse, they traded Neal.

I understand they needed a defenseman, but IMO, its a pretty awful deal for them.

Next season they'll have lost two thirds of their top line, the main reason they were successful earlier in the season, other then Benn.

No skin off our backs, though. I'll take Richards and run.

Our center depth instantly becomes credible, and our PP, in theory, instantly becomes credible.

There's an inherent risk when talking about big money acquisitions. But, with the pedigree there, the potential for success outweighs the risk, IMO.

Tortorella-Richards connection.

Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe.

Leader.

Elite level skill.

The ONLY risk is he won't perform. I doubt very much he hits a wall all of a sudden.

Old
03-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Ummmm......

Alright fine then just free agents. It doesn't matter anyway. This isn't about Messier or Jagr, it's about Richards. I want no part of him. I'm spraying just to be safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Richards-away.jpg‎ (18.4 KB, 4 views)

Old
03-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

I understand they needed a defenseman, but IMO, its a pretty awful deal for them.

Next season they'll have lost two thirds of their top line, the main reason they were successful earlier in the season, other then Benn.

No skin off our backs, though. I'll take Richards and run.

Our center depth instantly becomes credible, and our PP, in theory, instantly becomes credible.

There's an inherent risk when talking about big money acquisitions. But, with the pedigree there, the potential for success outweighs the risk, IMO.

Tortorella-Richards connection.

Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe.

Leader.

Elite level skill.

The ONLY risk is he won't perform. I doubt very much he hits a wall all of a sudden.
No it doesn't. With another disaster on the cap the whole team is ****ed.

Old
03-30-2011, 11:48 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

No, it's not. Neal is a complimentary player, Goligoski is going to break out into a legitimate star puckmover with more ice time in Dallas. Hell, he already looks like one now. He's flat out dominated games at times for the Stars from the times I've seen them since he was acquired.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
03-31-2011, 12:10 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Gaborik does not get high quality scoring chances. It's tough to blame him for being put into situations he isn't right for, but he's not the first to experience that here recently.

What Richards can do is set Gaborik up for the kind of chances where his speed and shot can really do some damage. Gaborik is not the guy that should be handling the puck. He's the guy that should be skating to a spot and shooting it. Rudimentary hockey.

But this team as a whole isn't very good at creating high quality scoring chances consistently, which is all the more reason they need Richards.

Quote:
Other free agent signings have absolutely no bearing on ones that haven't occurred yet. That's just illogical. It's because Richards is NOT equal to the players you mentioned that this is the case. The players that don't work out shouldn't have been expected to work out. They weren't that good. Richards is that good. He's great, and it's not likely someone as good will be available in the foreseeable future.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:13 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Gaborik does not get high quality scoring chances. It's tough to blame him for being put into situations he isn't right for, but he's not the first to experience that here recently.

What Richards can do is set Gaborik up for the kind of chances where his speed and shot can really do some damage. Gaborik is not the guy that should be handling the puck. He's the guy that should be skating to a spot and shooting it. Rudimentary hockey.

But this team as a whole isn't very good at creating high quality scoring chances consistently, which is all the more reason they need Richards.

Other free agent signings have absolutely no bearing on ones that haven't occurred yet. That's just illogical. It's because Richards is NOT equal to the players you mentioned that this is the case. The players that don't work out shouldn't have been expected to work out. They weren't that good. Richards is that good. He's great, and it's not likely someone as good will be available in the foreseeable future.
Don't want him here. And if he comes here and falls on his face everyone on this board owes me a steak.

Closed Thread