HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Oilers - 03/29/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
03-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Whiskeypete

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Moller is getting exposed against Dmen with size. But I expected that, He just has to learn how to fight through it.
that's going to happen with the Kings cycle/grind offense. it puts oscar in the one place that is the worst possible place for him....on the boards. he needs to be in the seams and open ice where his skating and speed will give him the advantage.

we all know though this is Murray's team/system and oscar will have to fully adapt to Terry's system or be sent back to MAN.....again. personally they need to find a compromise between Murray's system and player's ability/assets. Murray's inflexibility is one of the main reasons the offense is so stifled. player's can still be defensively sound and not play D first like Murray wants.

i thought oscar played well last night and was in position as the system calls for. yeah he lost some physical battles, but so did other guys on the team that have 4" and 25lbs on him. can't win every battle, it's about winning the war

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:50 AM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Give it a rest. The Penner and Halpern trades aren't even comparable. Penner is a consistent 20+ goal scorer for whom the Kings didn't have to give up anything of consequence.
glad to know you are happy with his two goals since joining the team and none in the past 7 games.

Dwight King could have been brought up to do that!

I'd rather have the 1st and Teubert than watch him stink up the ice every night.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Johnny Utah

I just dropped Penner in my fantasy hockey league. 6 games without a point.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:29 PM
SLang

I can't tell if Penner is lazy or just tries to enonomise/ration his energy!

There were more than a few plays last night where I felt he could have made an impact if he just kept his damn feet moving.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I just dropped Penner in my fantasy hockey league. 6 games without a point.
Well there you have it!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 01:12 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorJeep View Post
Agreed. If the Kings have any chance of making up the lost production of Kopitar & Williams, then Doughty & Johnson are going to have to step up their offensive games. Given that Willy Mitchell has been scoring more goals than those two lately, they've definitely got their work cut out for them.
I think they will. Both really stepped it up offensively in last year's playoffs. The PP not producing doesn't help their numbers right now. Without Kopitar and Williams, I'd suspect, depending on the given circumstance of each particular game, that Jack and Drew will be given more of a green light to active 5-on-5 in the playoffs.

03-30-2011, 01:23 PM
KingsKnight
June 11-12 13-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I don't know why people keep saying this, With already the lack offense the Kings do have. People want to play the teams that have rock solid Goalies and trap style D ? ??????

Why?????? At this point PHX is the last team I would want to see in round one.

PHX is going to be a nightmare for whoever in round one.
I think it comes down to games where we can keep it close. If two teams are playing it tight defensively, then we have a chance to win. If the other team is playing a mostly offensive style (eg. Vancouver), then they will probably pot a couple more than we do, even if we play it safe. At least I think that's the idea.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 01:25 PM
ShattStar03

I can understand why Murray uses the system that he does. He realizes that the Kings are without their best offensive weapons. When you face a team like Vancouver or Anaheim in which they have amazing firepower, you can't attempt to turn to the game into a turkey shoot.

I think Murray realizes that the only chance he has with these teams is to turn the game into an old fashion street-brawl style of play. The opposing team has to fight tooth and nail for every gain. Every goal the Kings score is going to be an ugly goal, the offense is going to look flat because their priority is defense.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 01:29 PM
ShattStar03

One more thing:

I think Penner's production is the product of being in a new system (especially Murray's). If you look back Penner has been with primarily offensive teams look at EDM and Anaheim. When you're whole mantra is to score goals and you have to revert back to a defense-first mentality, it's going to take time to adjust.

Old
03-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
One more thing:

I think Penner's production is the product of being in a new system (especially Murray's). If you look back Penner has been with primarily offensive teams look at EDM and Anaheim. When you're whole mantra is to score goals and you have to revert back to a defense-first mentality, it's going to take time to adjust.
This.

Penner was free-styling it during the first 5 games. Now he is playing Murray's system and is more worried about being in the right position for defense than trying to create offense.

He doesn't skate through the middle or try those "risky" passes in the offensive zone. He dumps and chases like everyone else. It's not like Penner is a defensive liability out there. He's been solid and playing the system.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 04:25 PM
wicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
This.

Penner was free-styling it during the first 5 games. Now he is playing Murray's system and is more worried about being in the right position for defense than trying to create offense.

He doesn't skate through the middle or try those "risky" passes in the offensive zone. He dumps and chases like everyone else. It's not like Penner is a defensive liability out there. He's been solid and playing the system.
I see it exactly the same way. He is playing a very safe, boring game, and he'll have to figure out a way to still make good chances happen for him on offense while keeping with the system. The past few years, his goals have been scored in a free-wheeling system, where he he went through the middle a lot and didn't have a reason to be extra cautious on defense. It's going to take some time for him to work out the kinks.

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 05:04 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker View Post
I see it exactly the same way. He is playing a very safe, boring game, and he'll have to figure out a way to still make good chances happen for him on offense while keeping with the system. The past few years, his goals have been scored in a free-wheeling system, where he he went through the middle a lot and didn't have a reason to be extra cautious on defense. It's going to take some time for him to work out the kinks.
He's got a week and a half to figure it out...

Old
03-30-2011, 05:13 PM
ShattStar03

If you look at Kopi's first year with Murray, his offense dipped ( a little) because he had to get adjusted to Murray's D-first approach. I remember Jim Fox always explaining that during Kopitar's first year with Murray.

I'm sure its a tough transition for any goal-scorer, let's just hope Penner gets adjusted soon.

Old
03-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
He's got a week and a half to figure it out...
Or what?

Old
03-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Or he shall be burned at the stake for not figuring out how to play without the linemates he had when he first got here and had great chemistry with.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Or he shall be burned at the stake for not figuring out how to play without the linemates he had when he first got here and had great chemistry with.
Haha!

It will never cease to amaze me the amount of complaining that goes on here but more specifically after a win. How is it the Kings get a win and the first thing some people around here look for is something to complain about. I think those people are the truest of Kings fans. They want to live in eternal misery. They can't cope with the marginal amount of success this team has had over the past 2 seasons.

Old
03-30-2011, 05:41 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
It took Kopitar a year to balance his defense with offense, yet Penner is expected by tomd to do the same thing in 6 weeks. Talk about unrealistic expectations.

The 2-way play Murray and Stevens are teaching Penner now will be invaluable down the road. It's hard to focus on more than one thing at a time. Once he learns how they want him playing in his own end, he'll be able to do it second-nature and focus on the offense.

Whenever this comes up I'm reminded of Kopitar playing in the all-star game. Here's a game where every player is encouraged to look the other way defensively, but he couldn't help himself. The two-way play was so engrained into how he plays the game, he couldn't shut it off. Once it became second nature, Kopitar's offense came around more (the guy scores a point per game practically by accident as it is).

I'm not worried about Penner at all.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 06:28 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

We are merely sentinels standing vigil at the altar of the continuous pursuit of perfection.

Until we can observe one completely perfect game we must remain diligent.

If we aren't then who will take our place?

Dear gawd that almost sounded serious.

We can find something to whine about even if we played a completely perfect game of that much I am certain.

Last edited by etherialone: 03-30-2011 at 07:08 PM.
etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:48 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
It took Kopitar a year to balance his defense with offense, yet Penner is expected by tomd to do the same thing in 6 weeks. Talk about unrealistic expectations.

The 2-way play Murray and Stevens are teaching Penner now will be invaluable down the road. It's hard to focus on more than one thing at a time. Once he learns how they want him playing in his own end, he'll be able to do it second-nature and focus on the offense.

Whenever this comes up I'm reminded of Kopitar playing in the all-star game. Here's a game where every player is encouraged to look the other way defensively, but he couldn't help himself. The two-way play was so engrained into how he plays the game, he couldn't shut it off. Once it became second nature, Kopitar's offense came around more (the guy scores a point per game practically by accident as it is).

I'm not worried about Penner at all.
Let's do a reality check here.

Penner was a DEADLINE acquisition brought in SPECIFICALLY to produce points during the playoff stretch run.

He is almost 30 years old and a veteran who should be able to adapt his game to do what he was brought here to do.

If he doesn't produce during the stretch run (and he hasn't) or the playoffs, then the trade did not accomplish what it was intended to accomplish.

How you - or anyone else - can see it any other way is beyond me. This trade was NOT made for the 2011-2012 season.

Old
03-30-2011, 09:50 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Haha!

It will never cease to amaze me the amount of complaining that goes on here but more specifically after a win. How is it the Kings get a win and the first thing some people around here look for is something to complain about. I think those people are the truest of Kings fans. They want to live in eternal misery. They can't cope with the marginal amount of success this team has had over the past 2 seasons.
The Kings beat a glorified AHL team last night and barely beat them.

If they play that way against their remaining six opponents, they will not win a single game unless Quick or Bernier pitches a shutout.

Old
03-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
The Kings beat a glorified AHL team last night and barely beat them.

If they play that way against their remaining six opponents, they will not win a single game unless Quick or Bernier pitches a shutout.
Have you missed the season? This is how they have won all season. The offense barely scores 2 or 3 goals and they win.

As for Penner, his ES PPG is behind only Brown and Moller on the active roster. He's ahead of Smyth, Stoll, Simmonds, Handzus and Poni.

Old
03-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Lewis won 1 out of 12 draws. Penner should take some face offs.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Lewis won 1 out of 12 draws. Penner should take some face offs.
Meh, he was 40% before the game. It could just be a bad game, Stoll has had some bad games too.

It's definitely something he needs to work on and I expect Vancouver to light the Kings up on the draw tomorrow.

Old
03-30-2011, 10:17 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Have you missed the season? This is how they have won all season. The offense barely scores 2 or 3 goals and they win.

As for Penner, his ES PPG is behind only Brown and Moller on the active roster. He's ahead of Smyth, Stoll, Simmonds, Handzus and Poni.
we'll see...there are no Edmonton's or Colorados on the schedule the rest of the way.

Regarding Penner...2 goals in 13 games for a #1 LW is not getting the job done.

Old
03-30-2011, 10:30 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
we'll see...there are no Edmonton's or Colorados on the schedule the rest of the way.

Regarding Penner...2 goals in 13 games for a #1 LW is not getting the job done.
Where have you been all season, 2-1 3-2 hockey is Kings Hockey baby. Seriously Detroit just got a 10 spot put on them by the freakin Blues.

If you missed it the Redwings are the most seasoned and Veteran team in the league.

The point is the Kings can beat any team in the league. There have been games were JW and Kopi were invisible and the Kings have won.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote