HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Im interested to see what Sather does this offseason

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-30-2011, 11:07 AM
  #101
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
I love the moves Sather made last offseason (I like Boogaard, but not the contract) even if they did not all work out.

Eminger has played great for us, as has Fedotenko and Biron.

Boogaard was a reactionary signing that currently is a burden. The money is not the problem, it is the years. A player like Boogaard should only get 2 years at max, you could always give an extension later on. I'd hate for Boogaard to end up in the AHL or anywhere else, because of the contract he was given, but I think that may happen.

I think Frolov could have worked out very well if he was given the right system and linemates. It was a great signing that just did not fit.

I am beginning to think that Richards is done in Dallas. Dallas may sneak in to the POs, but I don't see Chicago letting go of their spot. Richards will make this team not only make the Rangers better, but he will make them one of the deepest teams in the league.

If Richards does not happen, I'd like to see a puck PMD, a perhaps some hard-nosed TWF veterans. I know we have tons of TWFs already, but one more to band-aid a spot for a few months would not hurt. It's either Richards, or low-risk high-reward guys for me. I don't want the in-between.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:53 AM
  #102
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,104
vCash: 500
first: convince Chris Drury to retire Savings 7 million on cap

2nd: Buyout Wolski Savings 3+ million

3rd: do not resign Gilroy, Prospal, Frolov Savings 7.5 million

4th: Resign RFAs Dubi, Cally, Boyle, AA, Sauer, Eminger

5th: Sign Brad Richards

6th: sign Puck Mover

If Boogard needs to be waived, do it.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:15 PM
  #103
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Gagne-Richards-Gaborik would have to be my dream first line for next season, even if there is 0 chance of it coming to fruition.

Wouldn't mind a Wolski buyout (costs essentially nothing) but I doubt that would ever happen.

Gagne-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Stepan-Callahan
Avery-Anisimov-Zuccarello
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust
EC

Staal-Girardi
McD-Sauer
MDZ-Eminger

I think that lineup can do some damage. And I'm not even adding any potential rookies who impress at camp.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:24 PM
  #104
Callahan Auto
Rational Police
 
Callahan Auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
I'd go for Richards but have a harsh limit with what I was willing to pay him. We have enough assets in the system that we'll be able to trade for a YOUNGER elite player if we want in a year or two... or we could even trade up in the draft. Additionally, I don't think Drury completely leaves and I think we'll be out of big money signings until 2012. That's not really a bad thing. We should make the playoffs this year and next. Then we could sign a guy like Ryan Suter in 2012 or, even though it's early to look that far ahead, sign someone from the 2013 class (which is going to be stacked even if half the guys resign before then).

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 01:25 PM
  #105
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Gagne-Richards-Gaborik would have to be my dream first line for next season, even if there is 0 chance of it coming to fruition.

Wouldn't mind a Wolski buyout (costs essentially nothing) but I doubt that would ever happen.

Gagne-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Stepan-Callahan
Avery-Anisimov-Zuccarello
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust
EC

Staal-Girardi
McD-Sauer
MDZ-Eminger

I think that lineup can do some damage. And I'm not even adding any potential rookies who impress at camp.
forget Gagne. He is Done, toast, finished

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:09 PM
  #106
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
forget Gagne. He is Done, toast, finished
He has 16 goals and 18 assists in 57 games played after a TERRIBLE start to the season. If he can stay healthy, he is a lock for 30 goals. The guy just knows how to score.

I don't understand why no one likes the idea of Markov? He is an elite defenseman that could be had for very little and he would add experience and a PP QB to the back-end. People want Richards, imagine a #1 PP unit with Richards and Markov on the blue-line with Gaborik operating from the half-boards. They would have one of, if not THE best PP in the league.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:23 PM
  #107
ilezia
Registered User
 
ilezia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
Buyout Wolski and offer him a minimum contract, everybody wins

ilezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:27 PM
  #108
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,737
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He has 16 goals and 18 assists in 57 games played after a TERRIBLE start to the season. If he can stay healthy, he is a lock for 30 goals. The guy just knows how to score.
He looks pretty scrubbish out there. Not nearly the same player he used to be. If we could sign him 1 yr, 2.5-3m, sure, but he's too much of a risk for anything more than an experiment.

Quote:
I don't understand why no one likes the idea of Markov? He is an elite defenseman that could be had for very little and he would add experience and a PP QB to the back-end. People want Richards, imagine a #1 PP unit with Richards and Markov on the blue-line with Gaborik operating from the half-boards. They would have one of, if not THE best PP in the league.
Maybe it's because he's had 2 major knee injuries the past two seasons?

I want nothing to do with him. He's more injury prone than Gaborik.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:52 PM
  #109
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
These last two injuries for Markov have come close together, but I think he is still one away from being labeled "More injury prone than Gaborik"

I'd want him if I though the office was interested, but the impression I have gotten is that we are really going after Richards.

Would Markov locked up make our back end sexy? Absofrigginlutely. But so does Richards to our center core.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 03:03 PM
  #110
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,700
vCash: 500
Does Markov make us a contender though? It would give us a pretty stacked D group but I think getting an elite first line forward pushes us over better because Hank can make up for a weaker D, especially because the D isn't really even weak anymore.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 03:07 PM
  #111
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,785
vCash: 746
You guys really might want to reconsider Richards as our teams saving grace. I'm a Stars fan too and he's been a shell of his former self since coming back from his concussion. There's a lot of unknowns going forth about if he'll regain his previous form. The 10 games he's been back he's been god awful.

As both a Rangers fan and a Stars fan I'm not sure if I want either of my teams to sign him to a long term deal at this point.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 03:57 PM
  #112
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
You guys really might want to reconsider Richards as our teams saving grace. I'm a Stars fan too and he's been a shell of his former self since coming back from his concussion. There's a lot of unknowns going forth about if he'll regain his previous form. The 10 games he's been back he's been god awful.

As both a Rangers fan and a Stars fan I'm not sure if I want either of my teams to sign him to a long term deal at this point.
He'll be fine for whatever team he plays for next year. I'm pretty sure that was his first concussion, and it wasn't even a serious one (look at Crosby, HIS was bad), he may be a bit rusty coming off it, but the concussion surely hasn't changed his ability.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:14 PM
  #113
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
He'll be fine for whatever team he plays for next year. I'm pretty sure that was his first concussion, and it wasn't even a serious one (look at Crosby, HIS was bad), he may be a bit rusty coming off it, but the concussion surely hasn't changed his ability.
You couldn't possibly know this. Interesting little bit of info about BR there. Starting to think this is a contract to avoidl.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:17 PM
  #114
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If 3/4 of the board made the decisions, the Ranger wouldn't have Stepan as that picks was loathed. This is Sather's job.

Sather wanted to keep Shelley. Turns out the Flyers gave him a terrible contract. It had nothing to do with "Brashear fiasco" (BTW, who was responsible for that)?

Sather could have added a legit heavyweight without committing big money or multiple years.

And that shows that he has not changed his ways in throwing (too much) money at the problem.
It doesn't show it so much as it foreshadows it. The move isn't a bad enough contract toa ctually "show" or prove it. Plus Frolov was a 1 year deal and Boog can be sent down. There are ways out of the contracts if they don't work oujt which to me suggests he at least realizes he's made mistakes. Not repeating them is another thing entirely but he didn't exactly repeat them last year. Didn't exactly avoid them either though so I understand your point.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:08 PM
  #115
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
You couldn't possibly know this. Interesting little bit of info about BR there. Starting to think this is a contract to avoidl.
I'm absolutely sick of hearing the word concussion to be honest... people freak out way to easily on here? Are they bad? Yes. But, not every concussion alters a players career. If it wasn't so prevalent in sports, in particular hockey, people would still care, but not as much as they do now.

I know it seems like I'm taking the issue lightly, but I think it is more of the opposite, there is way too much overreaction on this forum in particular.

Richards will get his contract, and he will play the same way he always did. I guarantee it. GMs have access to medical records, we don't, considering Richards medical history, a concussion is the smallest of factors when they decide on his value.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:49 PM
  #116
dynamoovechkin
Registered User
 
dynamoovechkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
Let's assume for the purpose of argument, that there is a fair bit of housecleaning after the season, even though we surprised some people by winning two rounds in the playoffs (there, I said it!)

Some FA's I like: Ville Leino, Andrei Markov, the aforementioned Richards, Wisniewski ( I know, I know), Brooks Laich, Max Talbot (don't start)

Some FA's I really don't like: Timmonen, Brent, Pitkannen, Ehrhoff.

Hey, whatever happened to Paul Ranger of TBL?

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:57 PM
  #117
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,737
vCash: 300
Timonen isn't a UFA.

And hell no to Wisniewski. That has Redden reborn written all over it.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:51 AM
  #118
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,872
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Bye bye McCabe, terribly Rich Pilon like foot speed. Has the power play really improved? And when he does shoot everyone knows and his shot gets blocked. Oh and not to mention he sucks in his own zone.

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 04:47 AM
  #119
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I'm absolutely sick of hearing the word concussion to be honest... people freak out way to easily on here? Are they bad? Yes. But, not every concussion alters a players career. If it wasn't so prevalent in sports, in particular hockey, people would still care, but not as much as they do now.

I know it seems like I'm taking the issue lightly, but I think it is more of the opposite, there is way too much overreaction on this forum in particular.

Richards will get his contract, and he will play the same way he always did. I guarantee it. GMs have access to medical records, we don't, considering Richards medical history, a concussion is the smallest of factors when they decide on his value.
Also his age, small injury history, mostly just ding worthy for 5 or so games but occassional big injuries too, his contract demand both length and cash wise and our history with meeting those demands. All totals up to "Stop giving us reasons to dislike this possible signing" but the hits keep coming.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:29 PM
  #120
gravytrain6t
Registered User
 
gravytrain6t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 500
I know it's very tragic to think this way but the Rangers desperately need offense. Going after Chris Stewart would have been a start but I suppose the team needs more finesse type players (like "the great Gabby") as opposed too a hybrid who's more of a power forward and creates fits for opposing goalies and defense men.

But this team has two shut down pairs (not to mention Mcilrath is up and coming and will not exactly be in the lineup for his offense). Other options are Valentenko and/or Del Zotto (or more, idk much about other "D" prospects on the Whale).

So why not separate with one of McDonagh or Staal and bring in someone who can create some offense and help bolster up that top line?

Let's face it. This team will never get a top 5 pick. So the rest of the league will be getting players like Crosby, Malkin, P.Kane, Toews, Lecavalier, Stamkos, E. Staal, Skinner, Tavares, Hall, Nash, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Backstrom, Duchene, etc....

That's at least 9 or 10 teams who have realized at one point or another, that they have to take their lumps and suffer through a bad season or two. It's not "tanking." It's coming to the realization that what's best for the organization in the long term is not to bring in an aging Jagr so that the team fights for an 8th seed for 2 or 3 years while he's got enough left in the tank.

Same with Gaborik. If the Rangers do not get Richards, what is the point in keeping this guy and his enormous contract?
I suppose the real answer to that question would come from Dolan. He knows fans will fill the Garden if the team has a chance to grab a 7th or 8th seed because after all, anything can happen in the playoffs. WoW!!! Maybe we win a round!! But is that the ultimate goal? There's no long term plan in that.

Besides, I don't buy Sather's BS for a second. If he had more cap room to bring in an aging player, equivalent to say, Valeri Kamensky, he would. Then throw 6 mil per for someone like Brian Skrudland or Mike Keane or both.

Anyway, I'm straying off topic but if the Rangers cannot obtain elite forward talent via the entry draft, they either need to do it through free agency (Sather is around 0 for 5 in that area) or make some trades.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:42 PM
  #121
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,586
vCash: 500
i'm sure that Drury and hopefully Redden's salary come of the books this summer. if they don't sign richards, there really isn't any top players in this coming UFA crop.

i'm highly against moving Staal, of all people the the rangers will have to part with some defensive depth to bring in another scorer via trade.

increase scoring and ridding this team of do nothings like christensen, wolski(what exactly is this guys game?), prospal (too old) and Avery.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 07:15 AM
  #122
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride
 
NY Lito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I know it's very tragic to think this way but the Rangers desperately need offense. Going after Chris Stewart would have been a start but I suppose the team needs more finesse type players (like "the great Gabby") as opposed too a hybrid who's more of a power forward and creates fits for opposing goalies and defense men.

But this team has two shut down pairs (not to mention Mcilrath is up and coming and will not exactly be in the lineup for his offense). Other options are Valentenko and/or Del Zotto (or more, idk much about other "D" prospects on the Whale).

So why not separate with one of McDonagh or Staal and bring in someone who can create some offense and help bolster up that top line?

Let's face it. This team will never get a top 5 pick. So the rest of the league will be getting players like Crosby, Malkin, P.Kane, Toews, Lecavalier, Stamkos, E. Staal, Skinner, Tavares, Hall, Nash, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Backstrom, Duchene, etc....

That's at least 9 or 10 teams who have realized at one point or another, that they have to take their lumps and suffer through a bad season or two. It's not "tanking." It's coming to the realization that what's best for the organization in the long term is not to bring in an aging Jagr so that the team fights for an 8th seed for 2 or 3 years while he's got enough left in the tank.

Same with Gaborik. If the Rangers do not get Richards, what is the point in keeping this guy and his enormous contract?
I suppose the real answer to that question would come from Dolan. He knows fans will fill the Garden if the team has a chance to grab a 7th or 8th seed because after all, anything can happen in the playoffs. WoW!!! Maybe we win a round!! But is that the ultimate goal? There's no long term plan in that.

Besides, I don't buy Sather's BS for a second. If he had more cap room to bring in an aging player, equivalent to say, Valeri Kamensky, he would. Then throw 6 mil per for someone like Brian Skrudland or Mike Keane or both.

Anyway, I'm straying off topic but if the Rangers cannot obtain elite forward talent via the entry draft, they either need to do it through free agency (Sather is around 0 for 5 in that area) or make some trades.
Agreed to an extent. But instead of moving Staal or McDonagh I look to move Girardi. I think Sauer can do Girardi's job just as well and better in the future, and to be completely honest Girardi should not be a top-pairing d-man. We need a PMD with Staal. I would not be opposed to moving Girardi if that meant getting a legitimate top-6 player or great PMD. Also, I look to move Girardi first because I will never forget him haplessly watching Gaborik eat Carcillo's punches. Yes, I am holding a grudge and I don't care. That was some seriously weak stuff.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 08:32 AM
  #123
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
He'll be fine for whatever team he plays for next year. I'm pretty sure that was his first concussion, and it wasn't even a serious one (look at Crosby, HIS was bad), he may be a bit rusty coming off it, but the concussion surely hasn't changed his ability.
LOL I love when people make things up from some imagined knowledge base. There is a lot of 'sure' in your statements about things you cannot possibly be sure about. Richards would be a risk no matter how you spin it.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 08:55 AM
  #124
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,440
vCash: 500
I think the real issue with this team is in the thread title: What Sather does this offseason. Why does this team continually get a makeover every summer? The organization keeps throwing money at the problem, and the answer is right in their faces every night on the ice in the form of guys like Callahan, Stepan, Dubinsky, Staal, Anisimov, McDonagh, Sauer, Lundqvist, Girardi, etc, etc. It's the guys that come from within that put in the effort every night. They're the answer. Not the hired guns who have spent their entire careers in other cities.

It's simple, really; If you develop players from within the organization, they're now invested in the success of the organization and they'll give you a more consistent effort every night.

I mean, am I honestly the only one who is getting tired of having this same "Who should we buy?" conversation every spring?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:09 AM
  #125
ThisYearsModel
Registered User
 
ThisYearsModel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 6,890
vCash: 500
Sather's #1 priority this summer:

RETIRE.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.