HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ex-Habs Thread Part II(All Former Habs Players Discussed Here!)

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Peter Puck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post

At the end of the day, players gotta understand, you are under contract to the team, they pay you and if they want, can bench you, put you in the minors or trade you. It's part of the contract, part of the rules. If you don't like it, don't sign the contract? I mean, if my boss tells me to do something I don't like, and I disagree and do what I want... I'm fired or in trouble. Why is different for an athlete getting paid? You have a contract, they chose to do what they want with you, as long as it doesn't violate any rules. Yes, situations can be abused, but I don't see the big deal for certain guys to play in the AHL a month more if it means an NHL dream.

This is precisely the attitude that we are complaining about. I don't think anyone doubts the fact that the Habs had the right to "fire" SK. (Just as he had the right to ask for a trade). Management exercised their right. Now he is excelling in Nashville and we got nothing. Do you think this is a sign of good management?

Old
03-29-2011, 03:21 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Puck View Post
This is precisely the attitude that we are complaining about. I don't think anyone doubts the fact that the Habs had the right to "fire" SK. (Just as he had the right to ask for a trade). Management exercised their right. Now he is excelling in Nashville and we got nothing. Do you think this is a sign of good management?
Whatever, go into work tomorrow and tell your boss you're not working till you get a raise 10 fold(AHL to NHL salary) and when he tells you no, tell you you're not reporting to work until he does. This isn't one of those things where you win in the end. It's obviously an extreme case, but reality is, who are we to say that, and who is he to do the same? Yes, if a guy deserves a promotion, you give it to him, but they felt he didn't deserve one. So if you're competeting for a promotion at work, and someone else gets it, I guess you stop showing up to work because you felt you should get it?

If you wanna argue asset management rather than player management, I'll agree with you. Montreal is terrible at getting return on their assets.

If you want to talk player management, I am neutral on the situation. Everyone likes to point out how bad our scouting is every now and then, how bad our player development is as well. Yet, in 2005 we got Price, latendresse, D'agostini, sergei kostitsyn out of 7 picks(3rd rounder was lost, extra 7th rounder). That's impressive, but when we're missing a type of player, we failed.

When we trade latendresse and he scores a lot of goals, we lost the trade, but when we turn a guy's career around(pouliot) and manage the player better than another franchise no one brings it up. The reality is, for that trade, latendresse may be better than pouliot, but latendresse hasn't changed, he made more points, but still didn't come into camp in shape, got a groin injury and is out the year, came back, injured again. Is that overlooked? the fact that a certain player didn't appear to have the drive to be what we needed here, and when he changes organization, guess what, what motivation? He still didn't train hard enough. I guess we should overlook these things, because it's montreal management at fault, always.

This is not to point out latendresse, nor to say we're the best. I said i'm neutral. We have made careers out of several young guys. Pouliot is no longer a bust, he may not have reached 4th overall status yet, but he's way better here than in Minnesota. Price, everyone complained we mismanaged him and that we ruined him by not giving him a veteran backup, boom, he's not a vezina candidate. The organization put a lot of expectations on Price, and many felt it was more than he can handle, but at a young age, Price conquered it all, and despite the ups and downs, at the age of 23, he's got a ton of wins, MVPs, championships and soon a vezina nomination. Yet, at the time, many felt we mismanaged him. The organization asks what it expects of you, all sergei had to do was take it like a man and work his way back up.

We screw up a lot too, but it's not as terrible as people make it out to be. That's the point i'm trying to make. Yes, we could've done better with a lot of players but at same time, it happens to a lot of teams. It's just hightened here. Here's a prime example:

Andrei kostitsyn

75GP
19G
22A
41PTS
+4
15:50 TOI
125 Hits
26 Blocked shots

"OMG this guy sucks, trade him, forget that he's RFA, don't even qualify him!!!"

Sergei Kostitsyn

71GP
19G
24A
43PTS
+7
14:59
35 Hits
12 Blocked shots

"Omg, what a stud, we mismanaged our players, what did we do? how can we let this happen? Fire management, fire the scouting staff, let's protest"

Yes, sergei has 2 points and +3 more in 4 GP less. Andrei has 90 Hits more though, yet one is garbage and one is a stud now. To make matters worse, SERGEI ASKED FOR A TRADE. Only ONE of the two, left their teams and asked for a trade. I'm not saying sergei didn't want to play in montreal, nor am I saying he wouldn't have been good here, but we are complaining over something so minimal. Perhaps I may not agree with the posters here, who, to be honest, I fully respect, but I'm describing my perception of the reality here, if you disagree, that's fine, but few things will change my mind, because there's a lot more evidence to suggest we managed guys like Subban, Price, Pouliot(lower lines=facing worse defensive match ups=confidence boost), Weber, Desharnais, and Eller(I feel his two-way game has improved and he will be a legit 3rd liner with offensive upside next year for us). Yet, we complain about the couple guys we lost. It happens.

Oh btw, just to add, that team we're saying got the best out of Kostitsyn somehow failed with Radulov. Should we say it's the team's fault or the player? It's a trick question cuz either answer proves my point.

Old
03-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Stradale

Really, I don't have a problem with Sergei asking for a trade... for the own sake of his career. If the team doesn't believe in you and doesn't let you play, why staying?

Sergei has shown that he was capable to play in the NHL, I still don't understand why he was sent down. He started camp late because of an injury but still manage to play better than 4-5 guys in our line up back then but for some reasons, Martin kick him out of the line up and sent him down. What's wrong if he felt like the coach doesn't like him and that he's wasting his time with his club?

Cleary Martin didn't like him and there was no way SK would do well with him, even after he was called back.

It may looks unprofessional for some, but he did that for his "own" good for his career. He has been trade now and doing quite well in another club. He will probably get a 400-500% of salary raise next season. So in the end, Sergei got to play in the NHL, with more ice time, playing on PP, PK, one of the best players of his team, fans love him, management loves him, get massive raise...

Habs.. well they got pretty much nothing.

Old
03-29-2011, 03:37 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You are pointing out ONE example for these teams.

We have
Sergei Kostitsyn
Guillaume Latendresse
Mike Ribeiro
Matt D'Agostini
Ryan McDonagh (lower tier)
Mikhail Grabovski
Chris Higgins
Maxim Lapierre.

All players who -had- to go. For one reason or another. Getting minimal return for each and every one of them.

You can't be a succesful organization and give away 40-70 point players, valued roleplayers and high first round still developing defenceman without getting quality back. YOU CAN'T.

Now, are ALL of those players cancers? Are they all brats who quit on their team? There's always an excuse, always a deflection of blame away from the organization. It's time to stop giving them the benefit of the doubt. They traded away valuable pieces who are top contributors on other teams, or valued hockey players, FOR NOTHING OF VALUE OF THE TEAM.
good post , this team has to tone it down with the ''classy'' thing , no wonder we look like ******* on the ice.

Old
03-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Jedrik

Not that I'm happy with what we have to show for Sergei and Grabo now, but I do think that sometimes you have to risk losing out on assets and talent to preserve the integrity of the organization. You just can't have your kids running your house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen View Post
Koivu broke the 40point mark, 2 assists bring him to 41pts, one period left
That avatar is hilarious.

Old
03-29-2011, 03:50 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
In the end, this team needs to understand what kids are. That you can't have 20 of the same type of behavior within a team. That when you believe in a guy who has potential (see Price), no matter how immature you can be, you can get some great results.

I will never bash guys like Grabs, SKost or even Lats who in the end had trouble accepting that they weren't better than what we have now and are actually PROVING it. All those players WTK mentioned and MOST of them were supposed to be cancers but then 1 little traded made them leaders and angels? Guess what, Grabs is almost still proving that he's a work in progress. We saw what happened with him with some of his teamates this year and all and yet....he's seen in Toronto as a leader and an untouchable...and this is by Brian Burke, a guy who,s not suppose to be "european friendly".

I mean, is it that tough to believe that there's a problem with this team when you look around in the NHL and don't see a team who HAD to get rid of so many players who eventually ended up playing great after all? If we're not the worst team for that, aren't we top 5? Oh well, we are going to be told that it's not everybody who can play in an environment like Montreal....well I am going to think that the Habs have to be partially faulted in this....there's a LOT of examples throughout the league when great upcoming players to ordinairy young prospects had the privilege in living in a vet's house or in a owner's house (not to name Sydney) and that helped them a lot to cope with everything that the league was throwing at them from fame to money and all....and the Habs didn't think it was good enough to do this with Price. Imagine how the others were alone. Yes, the Habs has that big conference at the start of the year for newcomers when they tell them what to do and what not to do but then that's it....And it shouldn't be that way.

This league has become a league where you go as far as your draft picks take you. I'm just stunned that when everybody knows that and admit that, we don't seem to care that much. We throw away picks like there's no tomorrow for fillers and 1-year wonders, and the picks we keep, we throw away those players for close to nothing in return. Yes, there were some good moves but at this point, the bad outweigh the good unfortunately.

We keep hearing that we can't progress 'cause we don't have high picks, top 5 and all....Surely right about this. Yet, if we would re-do the drafts from 2003 to right now.....please tell me that guys like SKost, D'Ago, Lats, Grabs and the rest would NOT be considered surely 1st if not 2nd rounders? Halak, Grabs, Streit, Lats, SKost all of those players would have CLEARLY fit either in their respective 1st round of their draft year or surely 2nd. That's 5 additional top 60 picks throught the years with only Eller to show for. Sorry but Pouliot is not headed in the direction that he'll stick around for a long time especially not under Martin.

Add the incredibly bad trades or Ribs and McDonaugh and we surely are amongst the worst team in giving up young assets, assets that you almost can't get through trades because they're too valuable, assets that are incredibly great at the beginning based on how low their salary is versus their quality as a player.

I'm sorry but nobody killed anybody. I could have understand having to move Heatley based on what happened in Atlanta and having to change the atmosphere....but neither of our players did any of this. Don't believe that first, it should have never come to this....but then when it does, you just deal with it.

I think it's pretty clear now, and that's not about what Laraque said, but what every of those players that left said and even the onesn still here, that communication was NOT Gainey's and Carbo's best attributes and it surely isn't Martin's....And then we expect all of our players to react well when there's no communication by your head coach? Everybody doesn't react the same....time for the org. to understand it....
Kids? The guy left home at what, 17, 18, if not earlier if you count the RSL(or wherever he played) yet he's a kid? Hell, I'm 23 now and was 22 when he busted for a trade. If anything I get it and I wouldn't complain like him.

I believe Price had questionable work ethic, but I don't think he was a bad kid. This all stems way further than last year. I cannot say what I was told, but Sergei K had off-ice issues as well.

No one said latendresse or grabo were a cancer. The team traded latendresse after a poor start and got pouliot. Grabovski left the team and wasn't a team guy, so they traded him to a team that had space for him in top 2 lines. You gotta understand that a team takes players if they have room for them. If we had an all star team of players(somehow under the cap) and Malkin was our 4th line center playing 7 minutes a game, he'd ask for a trade. Does it mean he's a cancer? No, it means, he wants to play more and if he joined another team and played 20 minutes, he'd be a leader cuz he's happy in his situation. Same with sergei and grabo, they wanted to play more, but management felt they didn't earn it, so they quit on the team. I don't fault them for wanting to follow a career, nor do I blame lapierre for wanting a chance to play more minutes. I blame them for quitting on the team, it doesn't mean they are a 'cancer' per se, that's an overblown term, but they certainly weren't team guys for doing that.

BTW, as I eluded to in another post, latendresse is PROVING he doesn't come to camp into shape. What has latendresse proven exactly? He had similar GPG last year as pouliot before pouliot was rumoured to have injured his wrist. One came into camp in shape, put on muscle, another came into camp out of shape and got a groin injury. Hmmm, yup, latendresse REALLY showed us.

I never saw a problem with Price not having a veteran backup. I always felt Price was strong enough and so did gainey obviously. He constantly said that price's development was accelerated with the high quality experiences and challenges he faced. The return? Vezina candidate at 23 years old, I don't see failure here. Maybe some players need some help, and that's fair to say, but what are we gonna do, make subban live with gill, weber with harmlik, pouliot with gionta, etc etc...Subban, Price and Eller were all under a lot of pressure this year for obvious reasons, but management and the team have treated them just fine. They have responded with solid performances and star potential.

Lately we've given up a lot of picks, but Gainey was VERY careful with his picks. I still believe we give up very little picks and prospects, but our problem asset management is on the other side of the coin. When it's time to sell, or to trade a player before he hits UFA for a pick, we fail to sell at the right price. We are very conserative when it comes to paying for players. For instance, Wiz for a 2nd isn't a bad move by any means.

Explain to me why Pouliot won't head in the direction of a decent career? A few years ago Pouliot was considered a bust and a fringe NHLer, we turned him into a 3rd liner with upside. Yet, we doubt him now? Why? He's shown he's got all the tools to succeed. His Talent, Conditioning & Skating are way above that of latendresse. Pouliot CAN succeed. We'll just have to wait and see if he does.

I agree on the bad trades, but if Gomez returned to his old form, we wouldn't have this conversation. Unforunately we are

I was referring to Heatley in ottawa, not atlanta.

Maybe you're right, but I think there's wayyy too much blame on the organization. They aren't there to babysit guys. The players need to be professional as well.

Old
03-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Leafswillrulesometim

Thank you so much for Grabo, he's improved every aspect of his game since being traded and is a legit top 6 center by every means.

That being said, I don't think he would be the same player he is now had he stayed with the Habs, I've heard from a lot of Habs fans that he was a locker-room problem and just generally seemed like he didn't like it there?

Old
03-30-2011, 05:16 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafswillrulesometim View Post
Thank you so much for Grabo, he's improved every aspect of his game since being traded and is a legit top 6 center by every means.

That being said, I don't think he would be the same player he is now had he stayed with the Habs, I've heard from a lot of Habs fans that he was a locker-room problem and just generally seemed like he didn't like it there?
His problems weren't just here. He got in a bar fight when contracted to you guys. The dude is totally classless.

Old
03-30-2011, 05:59 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafswillrulesometim View Post

IIRC people in the locker room didn't like his diving/embellishing

Old
03-30-2011, 09:24 PM
bradrich99

D'Ago with 1 goal (20th) and 1 assist against DET tonight.

Congrats to him on his 20th!

Old
03-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Habblues

Alex Kovalev

Does anyone know if the Habs tried to bring him back to Montreal when the Sens decided to get rid of him ? I was kinda shocked that he didn`t return to Montreal because I knew darn well he`d have something to prove. Like him or hate him people,he usually came through for us in the playoffs. Big mistake passing him by.

Old
03-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Stradale

Who cares..

And I don't think they did. They brought Mara, a guy that doesn't even play for a 5th rounder. Kovy was traded for a 7th rounder.. I don't think they were outbid.

Old
03-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Habblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Who cares..

And I don't think they did. They brought Mara, a guy that doesn't even play for a 5th rounder. Kovy was traded for a 7th rounder.. I don't think they were outbid.
I care.......and that`s friggin` sad. 7th rounder and we could have had him.....

Old
03-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

vCash: 50
I'd take Kovy for a 7th rounder any day...

Old
03-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
I care.......and that`s friggin` sad. 7th rounder and we could have had him.....
I wanted him too... especially for that price. With our recent struggle offensively, he could have help us. I rather have Kovy on the top lines than Halpern or Moen.

Even if he's not breaking anything in Pittsburgh, I don't think their fans hate the trade either. He help them win a couple of game in the SO.

But its too late to talk about that now.

Old
03-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Habblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I wanted him too... especially for that price. With our recent struggle offensively, he could have help us. I rather have Kovy on the top lines than Halpern or Moen.

Even if he's not breaking anything in Pittsburgh, I don't think their fans hate the trade either. He help them win a couple of game in the SO.

But its too late to talk about that now.
Ya I know it`s too late but it would ease the pain if I at least thought the brass had the BRAINS to try and sign him. Should have known better. Love to see Martin take over the GM and Muller the head coaching position.

Old
03-30-2011, 10:31 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
Ya I know it`s too late but it would ease the pain if I at least thought the brass had the BRAINS to try and sign him. Should have known better. Love to see Martin take over the GM and Muller the head coaching position.
Martin as JM? for GM?

Old
04-01-2011, 01:52 AM
HockeyF3ind

Sergei has more points than Andrei, I trend I believe will not reverse.

I'm not going to claim that he would have done that here as soon as he has, BUT Sergei now has more points than his brother in fewer games this season:

Sergei Kostitsyn GP 73 G 19 A 26 P 45

Andrei Kostitsyn GP 77 G 20 A 22 P 42

And as I always have, I believe Sergei will eclipse his brothers point production in his career.

Trading him was a mistake IMO, but whats worse is we ended up in the end with nothing from it.

Old
04-01-2011, 02:10 AM
Harry Wong

You are right. We got nothing for Sergei. Nothing new here though there are a few players we got nothing or next to nothing for, Riberio, D'Aggostini, Grabowski, Moore for a few games for a 2nd, Tanguay for a cup of coffee for a first
Poor asset management IMO.

Old
04-01-2011, 06:39 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
I'm not going to claim that he would have done that here as soon as he has, BUT Sergei now has more points than his brother in fewer games this season:

And as I always have, I believe Sergei will eclipse his brothers point production in his career.

Trading him was a mistake IMO, but whats worse is we ended up in the end with nothing from it.
Never liked the trade of Sergei, but the Habs as an organization never seem to want to keep guys with an attitude around...which is somewhat understandable, but rather than make harsh judgements, and trade the guy away, maybe they should try to work with these kids? Maybe they did try, who knows? Maybe it's the wild nightlife, and rockstar feel to playing for the Habs?

One thing is for certain, when they get traded to a market like Nashville, or Minny etc they no longer take their jobs and money for granted...they then tend to grow up, and learn to become a professional, something they didn't do with the Habs.

I always liked Sergei's game, and the fact that he had some talent, but also had a little sandpaper to his game...he was also a guy who would go to the net, and had hands to finish some plays.

Let's just be glad for him, and be glad he is in the west, and not playing in our division where he could do some damage...

Old
04-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post

I'll be honest between both brothers I always preferred Sergei, even go his jersey couple of years ago, I knew he was going to be just as good as his brother and maybe even better because of his passing skills. Let's be honest the kid was having problems here and it was not going to work out especially under Martin coaching. The moment we traded him we knew we lost that trade, no one was happy and we all knew the talent we had just lost, I wish we had tryed harder to get him motivated for playing here which I'm sure he was cause he loved the city and fans but let's face it under Martin, it wasn't going to work. Right now I'm a little worried for players like Weber and Eller who might be next

Old
04-01-2011, 09:51 PM
bradrich99

D'Ago with 21st goal tonight. Looks like he is finding his game. 13pts in last 11 games.

Last edited by bradrich99: 04-02-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old
04-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Sergei Kostitsyn gets his 20th goal of the season.

Good for him.

Old
04-02-2011, 03:32 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
All the players I love get traded from here for ****.

And excel somewhere else.

Montreal should hire me.

Old
04-02-2011, 03:44 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
All the players I love get traded from here for ****.

And excel somewhere else.

Montreal should hire me.
Where do you reckon Zibanejad will end up? My money is on Pittsburgh.

Closed Thread