HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Oilers - 03/29/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
03-30-2011, 11:34 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
we'll see...there are no Edmonton's or Colorados on the schedule the rest of the way.

Regarding Penner...2 goals in 13 games for a #1 LW is not getting the job done.
+4 on a defense first, second and third team is getting it done. Penner has not been a liability on defense at all. It will take time for him to develop a two-way game.

Murray isn't going to change his 2-1 style of victory system two weeks before the playoffs begin. The Kings will live or die by their defense and goaltending. The PP and offense has been bad all season and they still have a shot at the division crown.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:37 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Let's do a reality check here.

Penner was a DEADLINE acquisition brought in SPECIFICALLY to produce points during the playoff stretch run.

He is almost 30 years old and a veteran who should be able to adapt his game to do what he was brought here to do.

If he doesn't produce during the stretch run (and he hasn't) or the playoffs, then the trade did not accomplish what it was intended to accomplish.

How you - or anyone else - can see it any other way is beyond me. This trade was NOT made for the 2011-2012 season.
You act as if its easy for a veteran who is used to a specific type of a system to just switch over to a completely different one. Have you forgotten what type of system TM uses? It's not the kind that scores 4-5 goals a game. It's a defensive scheme.

I do believe this trade was made for the 2011-2012 as well, the Kings needed a LW they got one, it's not as much of a glaring a need.

Are we to blame Penner if he can't produce points because our two best forwards are out? I think that's somewhat unfair.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:38 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
+4 on a defense first, second and third team is getting it done. Penner has not been a liability on defense at all. It will take time for him to develop a two-way game.

Murray isn't going to change his 2-1 style of victory system two weeks before the playoffs begin. The Kings will live or die by their defense and goaltending. The PP and offense has been bad all season and they still have a shot at the division crown.
If defense is what you are looking for in your #1 LW then I guess you would be happy. And here I thought the point of the trade was to add some offense. Silly me.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:40 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
If defense is what you are looking for in your #1 LW then I guess you would be happy. And here I thought the point of the trade was to add some offense. Silly me.
You're not even reading what he wrote. Or you simply don't understand what Sydor25 is saying.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:41 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
I guess its better to have our forwards be defensively irresponsible. Yeah, that would do us wonders!

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:43 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
You act as if its easy for a veteran who is used to a specific type of a system to just switch over to a completely different one. Have you forgotten what type of system TM uses? It's not the kind that scores 4-5 goals a game. It's a defensive scheme.

I do believe this trade was made for the 2011-2012 as well, the Kings needed a LW they got one, it's not as much of a glaring a need.

Are we to blame Penner if he can't produce points because our two best forwards are out? I think that's somewhat unfair.
Good Lord - no points in his last six games - almost 5 of those games were WITH Kopitar.

If the change to a new system is that severe for Penner to adapt to then DL and the scouting staff should have evaluated that possibility and not made the trade.

I'll bet TM and DL are far less enamoured with Penner's play than you guys are. He has been Dwight King for the past two weeks.

Old
03-30-2011, 11:44 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
I guess its better to have our forwards be defensively irresponsible. Yeah, that would do us wonders!
All you would have to do is take a look at the NYI or last years Washington Caps.

Mybe he is a closet NYI fan. They play a Fun system.

Old
03-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
The point of the trade was to solidify the lines and win hockey games. Handzus with Penner and Moller is a mistake, but Penner doesn't get to pick his linemates. After Vancouver, I expect Stoll to be with Penner and Moller. This puts Handzus back where he belongs, on the 3rd line.

What is the Kings record since the trade?

You can blame Murray for using his top line as the stopper unit.

Old
03-30-2011, 11:46 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Good Lord - no points in his last six games - almost 5 of those games were WITH Kopitar.

If the change to a new system is that severe for Penner to adapt to then DL and the scouting staff should have evaluated that possibility and not made the trade.

I'll bet TM and DL are far less enamoured with Penner's play than you guys are. He has been Dwight King for the past two weeks.
I can point to 80 percent of the roster that has had Six games with no production. What point are you trying to make?
I can go look up Alex the great right now, And probably find 3 to 5 games were he did nothing point wise.

Old
03-30-2011, 11:46 PM
tomd

Quote:
LOL...so you guys are SERIOUSLY happy with Penner's play????

You REALLY would have been happy when the trade was announced if you knew he would score 2 goals in the month of March during the stretch drive?

THAT was your expectation from our new #1 LW????

Talk about homerism or low expectations.

Can't someone just admit that he is playing like cr@p???

Old
03-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
The Kings beat a glorified AHL team last night and barely beat them.

If they play that way against their remaining six opponents, they will not win a single game unless Quick or Bernier pitches a shutout.
lol!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
The Kings beat a glorified AHL team last night and barely beat them.

If they play that way against their remaining six opponents, they will not win a single game unless Quick or Bernier pitches a shutout.
lol, barely beat them? They allowed 1 scoring chance? at a push? That was as comfortable 2 goal lead as you are going to get. The kings were always just going to sit back and kill out the 3rd aswell, and easily shut down EDM for the win.

There is a big difference between barely beating a team, and comfortably beating a team by a small margin

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:49 PM
damacles1156

Quote:

You REALLY would have been happy when the trade was announced if you knew he would score 2 goals in the month of March during the stretch drive?

I have been Pleased with Penner's play. I didn't expect him to come light the world on fire. Does that answer your question?

Old
03-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:

you know he has some assists too right? He has set up Kopitar for tap in goals, hehas made 2 stretch passes for breakaways that i can remember since him being here. At least 3 goals have been scored from him screening the keeper

All in all, i've been happy with Penner's play since he got here, but i didnt have as high expectations as others. I was expecting a 50-60 point guy, and that is exactly what he has shown us so far

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:

So the fact that he screens the goalie and creates space for his linemates doesn't matter because he doesn't pick up enough secondary assists? If the Kings are scoring more than they are giving up with him on the ice, then Murray and Dean will be happy.

Every Kings' player has gone into long goal scoring slumps with Murray system, Penner will be no different. If he isn't a defensive liability, he will remain on the "1st" line and get top PP points.

Old
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I have been Pleased with Penner's play. I didn't expect him to come light the world on fire. Does that answer your question?
Unfortunately, yes it does and it doesn't reflect well on you...unless you aren't watching the games.

Old
03-30-2011, 11:54 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Unfortunately, yes it does and it doesn't reflect well on you...unless you aren't watching the games.
You're expecting way too much out of the guy. Get over it, Penner has never been a world beater. What did you expect Crosby like Production ?>

Old
03-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:

9-2-2. All that matters. You don't see his contributions and others do. Agree to disagree.

Penner wasn't going to change Murray's system. If you thought Murray would, then you had too much expectations for Penner.

Would I be happier of he had 8+ goals? Sure, but not if the Kings were 5-5-3 in those 13 games because they stopped playing defense to get more offense.

Old
03-30-2011, 11:55 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
you know he has some assists too right? He has set up Kopitar for tap in goals, hehas made 2 stretch passes for breakaways that i can remember since him being here. At least 3 goals have been scored from him screening the keeper

All in all, i've been happy with Penner's play since he got here, but i didnt have as high expectations as others. I was expecting a 50-60 point guy, and that is exactly what he has shown us so far
Funny, all I remember before the trade was everyone saying that now Kopitar finally had a LW who could bury his passes. Oh well.

I truly hope that he picks up his game...the Kings need him to be an offensive leader the rest of the way.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:02 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Funny, all I remember before the trade was everyone saying that now Kopitar finally had a LW who could bury his passes. Oh well.

I truly hope that he picks up his game...the Kings need him to be an offensive leader the rest of the way.
You should be way more angry with people like Jack Johnson, who has ONE point all of March. And ZERO goals in his last Twenty Four games. Talk about not getting it done.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:02 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Maybe that is the problem, I haven't been watching the games.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 12:05 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:

Brown had 1 assist in 6 games after the trade. He now has 6 goals and 9 points in the last seven games. Would it be awesome if all of the lines were producing at the same time? Of course, but it wasn't happening before Penner and it's not happening after Penner.

Maybe Murray will open up the system a little bit next season with a solid top 6 to begin the season. Penner was acquired for both this season and next. There isn't enough time to change the system at the trade deadline. It will probably take training camp for Penner to truly adjust to Murray.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:08 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Brown had 1 assist in 6 games after the trade. He now has 6 goals and 9 points in the last seven games. Would it be awesome if all of the lines were producing at the same time? Of course, but it wasn't happening before Penner and it's not happening after Penner.

Maybe Murray will open up the system a little bit next season with a solid top 6 to begin the season. Penner was acquired for both this season and next. There isn't enough time to change the system at the trade deadline. It will probably take training camp for Penner to truly adjust to Murray.
Penner is fine, People should be ready to about lynch 'Jack I have ONE point all of March. And ZERO goals in my last Twenty Four games" Johnson.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:09 AM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
You should be way more angry with people like Jack Johnson, who has ONE point all of March. And ZERO goals in his last Twenty Four games. Talk about not getting it done.
agreed.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:11 AM
tomd

Quote:

Vancouver
Dallas
SJ
Phx
Anaheim
Anaheim

Unless everyone steps up (and particularly Penner, Johnson, and Doughty) this could be a bleak ending for the Kings.