HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At what amount do you not match Seto RFA?

Old
03-30-2011, 10:45 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
I think it really depends on which team made the offer, with draft positioning being taken into account, like the Kessel deal.

I also have to think that Seto can't get paid more than Clowe, who makes (off the top of my head, I think) $3.625 or something along those lines. More than that and I let Seto walk.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:53 PM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Blues could easily put in an offer. He'd be a pretty damn good fit there too.
Why would they want Brad Boyes Part II?

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Blues could easily put in an offer. He'd be a pretty damn good fit there too.
Nah. They've got, for next year, Stewart, Backes, Perron, Oshie, McDonald, Berglund, Steen and Tarasenko with Schwartz and McRae waiting in the wings. If anything, they have too many forwards and it's certainly not worth giving up a 1st rounder for one who's worse than all of the above apart from the youngsters.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:04 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Toews View Post
Nah. They've got, for next year, Stewart, Backes, Perron, Oshie, McDonald, Berglund, Steen and Tarasenko with Schwartz and McRae waiting in the wings. If anything, they have too many forwards and it's certainly not worth giving up a 1st rounder for one who's worse than all of the above apart from the youngsters.
They need a #1 center . . . as do many teams.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:14 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Perron, Stewart, Backes, McDonald and Oshie would be in the top 6 of nearly all NHL teams. Taransenko is IMO, the best wing prospect around, and owns the highest ceiling. However, they desperately need a #1 center, and very recently needed another first line threat, which they received in Stewart.

Let's say hypothetically they sign or trade for a Marleau-type (1st line, but not top 15) free agent in the next couple of years:

Stewart-Marleau-Perron
Backes-Berglund-Oshie
McDonald-Steen-Taransenko

That would be a ridiculous group of forwards. They don't need a Devin Setoguchi, they need a #1 center (maybe a #1 all around d-man, but I think Shatty/Pietro/Cole will be just fine). Replace Marleau with Setoguchi and they aren't really scaring anyone- though still good. Even though they have a lot of assets, I don't see a need to use any of them on a solid 2nd liner. They should be lying in the weeds ready to move if Statsny, Spezza, Richards, Carter, or someone of that ilk becomes available. Even in Pavelski, Zajac, or one of those type players was available for an OS, I think I'd pass, they need to save their powder for the perfect fit, and when looking at their core players, they've got nothing but time.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Jesus Toews*

They could definitely use a No. 1 center (like Easy said, a lot of teams could) but that offense is already miles and miles ahead of Phoenix and Nashville, so I think they're at least locks for the playoffs next season. Besides, I could easily see Oshie, Backes or Berglund putting up numbers similar to Toews before this season and he was a good enough No. 1 to take the Hawks all the way.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:44 PM
matt trick

Quote:
They could definitely use a No. 1 center (like Easy said, a lot of teams could) but that offense is already miles and miles ahead of Phoenix and Nashville, so I think they're at least locks for the playoffs next season. Besides, I could easily see Oshie, Backes or Berglund putting up numbers similar to Toews before this season and he was a good enough No. 1 to take the Hawks all the way.
Definitely a good team despite not having a #1 C. And I too think they will make the playoffs (though San Jose, Detroit, Vancouver, LA, Chicago will likely remain conference powers, and Phoenix and Nashville consistently steal two spots despite inferior talent)

Regarding Chicago, they also had Hossa, Kane, and Sharp who would all be the single biggest threat on that team. However, if Backes or Oshie can reach Toews' level of offense, they will be scary, but his two-way game was far beyond theirs. And while I am a big fan of those kids on D, they've got a ways to go to catch Chicago's top 4. However, Halak is superior to the Niemi that played for the Hawks (I'd still prefer Halak, but Niemi has upped his game in a big way this year).

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote