HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2003 NHL Draft

Old
03-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
...with the added benefit that you'd get to get rid of Carter.

Hilariously consistent.
Just my .02 cents, but Schneider and Kesler >>>> Jeff Carter.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Uh, Carter is a proven and reliable point producer. He is better than Kesler, and Schneider is wholly unproven as a starting goaltender.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
Schneider has played 32 NHL games.

Brian Boucher looked pretty awesome in his first 32 NHL games, too. Who the hell knows with Schneider. Would I have liked to cut a deal for him last summer? Yes. Would I have traded Carter for him? Nope.

Jeff Carter: 3.75 GFON/60, 2.17 GAON/60, 1.58 +/-ON/60 at ES
Ryan Kesler: 2.99 GFON/60, 2.05 GAON/60, 0.95 +/-ON/60 at ES

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:46 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
I've watched a bunch of the Vancouver games, I like how they play. Since last season I had my eye on both Kesler and Schneider in the hope that Homer could make a move of Carter for Kesler and Schneider. I want guys on the roster who are going to be tough to play against, maybe we just have different views of how playoff games are won and lost?
I'm guessing playoff games are won by scoring more than 3 goals in 23 career playoff games, but that's just me.

Quote:
As it stands, Kesler has more goals and more points, so I am not exactly sure where you are going with this. Each player has their value. In a little twist of irony, I actually think that Carter would have more success in the WC and Kesler is a better fit for the EC style of play.
Kesler has more points than Carter this season, yes. So what? You disregard Carter's past success and claim that he's inconsistent. Kesler has been wildly inconsistent before this season but now his breakout year apparently makes him more valuable than Carter. Interesting.

03-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
In a little twist of irony, I actually think that Carter would have more success in the WC and Kesler is a better fit for the EC style of play.
That is not in any way ironic. At all.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I'm guessing playoff games are won by scoring more than 3 goals in 23 career playoff games, but that's just me.

Kesler has more points than Carter this season, yes. So what? You disregard Carter's past success and claim that he's inconsistent. Kesler has been wildly inconsistent before this season but now his breakout year apparently makes him more valuable than Carter. Interesting.
Difference being when Kesler is not scoring he is diving after pucks, blocking shots, digging in the corners, being a physical player. When Carter is not scoring what is he doing? Usually checking out the ladies in the front row.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
Difference being when Kesler is not scoring he is diving after pucks, blocking shots, digging in the corners, being a physical player. When Carter is not scoring what is he doing? Usually checking out the ladies in the front row.
He plays pretty good D, too.

Old
03-30-2011, 04:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I'm convinced you don't even watch Carter when he plays.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 05:25 PM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Kesler: 36 goals, 32 assists, 68 pts, plays in all situations.

He also wears the A in Vancouver. All reports are he is a good guy in the locker room, the reports of him being a dink were the Umberger stories with him at Ohio State.

Perry: 44 goals, 42 assists, 86pts, plays in all situations.

Parise was a tough one to pass over, but Kesler is an all-around package that fans would love in Philly. Getzlaf a tough choice too.

Try and Youtube videos of Ryan Kesler and Willie Mitchell fighting during practice.

QUOTE: "Alternate captains Willie Mitchell and Ryan Kesler nearly came to blows during a drill in which Mitchell accused Kesler of slashing him and Kesler hollered back "it's never your fault, Willie." Mitchell pushed Kesler roughly up against the sideboards before cooler heads prevailed."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0T0PfLz4s

The Canuck locker room doesn't really give out the best vibes. When Kyle Wellwood left to play for the Sharks this year he started talking smack about the Canucks and how they haven't changed and have a lot more lessons to learn.

Source: http://forum.canucks.com/topic/29786...cared-to-lose/

I'll admit that Kesler improved this year; with not only his scoring but also finding a way to deal with his "between the whistles/agitating/anger issues" that he once had. But aside from this year, he's never been a consistent goal scorer; where as Carter is literally known for scoring goals. I think Getzlaf over Carter would have been a better exchange.

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 05:33 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Bwahahahahahahahaha! Hahahahaha! This gets better and better!!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 05:47 PM
MountainHawk

Cartsiephan has got to be the all time king of sleeper trolls. Probably actually a Rangers or Pens fan. Awesome job.

Kesler better than Carter -- hah.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 06:31 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Cartsiephan has got to be the all time king of sleeper trolls. Probably actually a Rangers or Pens fan. Awesome job.

Kesler better than Carter -- hah.
You have to admit, he's giving us some fun on a day without a game.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm convinced you don't even watch Carter when he plays.
Oh he watches. He just cannot believe what he sees. My man is blinded by hate for Jeff.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 06:59 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Richards and Parise/Getzlaf/Perry.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 07:40 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I can't tell if a lot of people are overrating Carter or underrating Kesler. I don't think either is really clear cut better than the other. I'd rather have Kesler, but it isn't because he is that much better than Carter. I think he plays a more complete game. Carter has a better scoring touch, clearly, but Kesler isn't that far off.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 08:15 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

The real comparison is Kesler vs. Richards -- they are the similar mold here, and Richards makes Kesler moot (huge Kesler fan, btw). Richards can play shutdown, he can be a first line pivot, but he's gonna have more assists over his career, I think that's pretty clear. I would imagine that the same will be true of Kesler. Carter can play defense, despite what some would have you believe, but he is a goal scorer first and foremost.

Yes, I know that Kesler has more goals this year than assists, but as I said, he's more of a two-way guy than a natural goalscorer. You take someone like Carter out of our lineup--a lineup that has lost Gagne, Knuble, and Lupul (all guys who are scorers first)--and it becomes easier to defend. You can have too many passers and not enough finishers, and I think our team starts going in that direction without a guy like Carter.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I can't tell if a lot of people are overrating Carter or underrating Kesler. I don't think either is really clear cut better than the other. I'd rather have Kesler, but it isn't because he is that much better than Carter. I think he plays a more complete game. Carter has a better scoring touch, clearly, but Kesler isn't that far off.
Carter is in his third consecutive 30+ goal campaign, and is one of the best ES goal scorers in the NHL. Goal scoring is the hardest commodity to find in the NHL, and Carter is a proven commodity on that front. Kesler certainly isn't bad, but there's a difference between a guy I'd pencil in for 25 goals, and a guy I'd pencil in for 35.

Moreover, Carter is a good defensive player, so it isn't like Kesler's advantages there are huge.

Carter has also demonstrably been our best ES player the last few years... and Kesler isn't going to beat him there.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:20 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

At the time, I wanted Parise at 11 and Richards at 24, so I'd stick with that. I was seriously pissed at Edmonton for trading down with the Devils so the Devils could get Parise. I wasn't too high on Carter for some reason. I don't remember why. I was obviously wrong.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 12:52 AM
infidelappel*

I'd trade Carter for Parise in that draft...assuming Parise comes back from this injury.

Side note: I wish I had a dollar every time Jester uses the word "demonstrably" in an argument.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 12:59 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

I would've taken Parise and Weber. I know Weber wasn't drafted in the first round but if we had Shea, we wouldn't have needed to trade for Pronger and we would've had a couple extra draft picks.

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:02 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
I would've taken Parise and Weber. I know Weber wasn't drafted in the first round but if we had Shea, we wouldn't have needed to trade for Pronger and we would've had a couple extra draft picks.
I didn't think about Weber. It would be hard for me to pass over Richards. Although, if we had Parise, it wouldn't be so bad I guess.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:06 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

For me its kinda just one of Richie, Parise, Getzlaf, and Perry, but I think Shea would've been a great pick for this team

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:13 AM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Hindsight is 20/20 and you still missed.

Give me 2 of any combination of Getzlaf / Staal / Parise / Richards (strictly 1st round i'd take Weber over Staal though)

Granted Carter and Richards in the same round is still ****ing awesome. Don't forget Anaheim and Nashville made out like bandits in the 1st two rounds as well.

also: :

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 02:09 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
I'll be in North Conway this weekend, I'll buy a round of hate to share. Honestly, do people really think that no Flyer can be criticized? Blind hate?
I just find it convient that you pick the 2003 draft with your favorite player Jeff Carter followed by your 2nd favorite Mike Richards in your little dream to be elsewhere.
Ryan Kesler instead of Jeff Carter
Corey Perry instead of Mike Richards.

I really dont know what I find more insulting honestly. If you pick Getzlaf I am ok with that over Carter, but Kelser?
Corey Perry couldnt carry Mike Richards jock. there is more to the game then just scoring goals. that is the only area where Perry is better then Richards.
If we had Kelser and Perry instead of Richards and Carter I really dont think we would be where are now. I think we would be fighting for our playoff lives. to suggest that both players would be having the seasons they are now here is pure speculation.
dont get lost in North Conway.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 02:16 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I'd trade Carter for Parise in that draft...assuming Parise comes back from this injury.

Side note: I wish I had a dollar every time Jester uses the word "demonstrably" in an argument.
http://hfboards.com/search.php?searchid=13946962

61 posts in 7 years. That would be a lean 7 years for ya.