HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 MLB / Montreal Expos Thread (June 2012 - A Rally for the Expos)

Old
03-30-2011, 01:35 AM
dre

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I'll never forget my last Expos game, an incredible comeback against the Phillies, 11-9 and we were losing 9-0 after 3 innings!
OMG I was at that game too!!!

It was my 1st and only expos game (I am from Thunder Bay). It was my greatest sporting experience ever. Ole Ole chants booming through the halls will never be forgotten.

dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 06:59 AM
HabsByTheBay

Never say never. I don't think a return to Montreal is impossible. You'd need a really rich guy from Montreal and a new stadium to make it happen, but it's not impossible.

Besides not really ever having a decent stadium, I always thought the Expos were unlucky to not be in the AL East. The Yankees, Red Sox and Blue Jays would have been tremendous for the bottom line. Tampa's struggling at the gate...if ever there was a team that would be perfect for the Montreal market it's that team (Jonah Keri might die of joy).

Put it like this, it's not Hartford. Hartford got lucky to have an NHL team at all...by comparison, Montreal IS the best North American market without an MLB team. It's better than Las Vegas, Charlotte and Portland.

As for baseball being sick...bullcrap. The Pirates are a tremendously stupid, cheap franchise that got a free ballpark from the taxpayers and nickel and dimes their way to poor results year after year. They've had almost two decades of high draft picks with virtually nothing to show for it. The Royals have done a little better but often traded their best players for nothing (Jermaine Dye for Neifi Perez being the shining example). Nonetheless, they have by unanimous consent the best farm system in baseball and should have a good team in a couple years.

If Tampa can beat the Red Sox and Yankees 2 out of 3 years and put together another strong team this year, the Pirates and Royals (who both play in much weaker divisions) can compete.

Last edited by HabsByTheBay: 03-30-2011 at 07:16 AM.
HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 08:44 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
I give a lot of credit to Montreal Expos fans still. I see them wearing Expos caps all the time on the Island in spring/summer, on VIA Rail & even in Toronto at the Jays games. Solid group of fans, wearing the cap gives you the E-Z OK approach to chat a bit on the road.
I was watching a NY Knicks game last week, and one Knicks fan at Madison Square Garden was wearing an Expos hat.

The black, silver and white Expo hat seems to pbe popular in the States.

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:58 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

Miss the 'Spos. I cheer for the Jays now but I'm not too die-hard.

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:31 AM
Dekar

I loved my Expos, and hence, I do not watch baseball anymore. I recently bought a new 'spos shirt. It's currently my favourite clothing item. It better be at $20 a pop for a t-shirt too.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:33 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

I miss them a lot. Jacques Doucet calling the game on the radio while I ate cracker jacks. Miss those days.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 02:13 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

I miss lacrosse more than the Expos, even though it was only one season.

Sadly for Expos fans, I think this market will never be able to support a baseball team again. It's not a popular sport anymore.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 02:32 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

If the MLS keeps on growing, it could put a dent into the baseball fan base.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:17 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Baseball games are way too long anyway

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Turboflex*

Man it sure woulda been sweet to be sitting in a nice open air ballpark just down the street from the Bell Centre, watching the 'spos on a warm summer evening. Blame the loser corporations and big money of Montreal who would not agree to put a dime into it.

Just started watching MLB again a few years ago, follow the Jays. They have a fun, slugging team and their underdog situation in the NL east reminds me of the Expos.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 02:36 PM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

vCash: 167
I miss the Expos alot too. I was so excited when "Labatt Park " looked like it was going to become a reality. I had until recently still gone to more Expos games than Red Sox. (RS 1, Expos 1a as fav baseball teams growing up and I lived closer to Montreal) Such a shame how it all went down.

Plus poor Youpp! has to wear that god awful jersey he has on now....but @ least he has a job I guess.

SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 03:32 PM
The Camera Eye

I loved the Expos and I still love baseball, almost as much as hockey. I doubt we'll ever see another pro team in Montreal though. Now I follow the Blue Jays and root whole-heartedly against Washington, my most hated sports team.

Rooting for Washington is like rooting for your ex-wife.

The Camera Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 04:06 PM
Ferg033

Love the expos still got 2 hats and an old t-shirt. I never got to see an expos game live bc I'm from the maritimes. I always liked the expos over the jays. Now I like the twins they kinda remind me of the expos small market team not too crazy with spending money and have a lot of home grown talent in their lineup. Still not a fan of the jays least when the expos were around there was strategy to the game the jays just go up to bat and swing away never steal or bunt or do anything exciting kinda boring baseball to watch

Ferg033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 05:08 PM
mrCoffea*

All we need is a stadium. If Montrealers with money can get together and organize themselves, get some investors on board and look into turning a ball park into a reality, it would make no sense for the MLB NOT to come back here under such circumstances. The only problem is the fact that teams aren't ever going to move in the current MLB method of revenue sharing. If revenue sharing can help the Pirates be profitable despite sucking on purpose, no owner is ever going to want to sell the team

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 05:17 PM
Darch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlSportsFan View Post
I don't agree, by your logic Mitch Melnick was never a baseball fan ?

I loved the Expos and miss them dearly. I don't watch baseball anymore at all and don't think we should even dream about getting our team back until baseball fixes itself. Baseball is sick. Pittsburgh, Kansas City et al have no chance every season...and if they ever do get close they will have to tear down the team the following season.

Ugh...baseball.
My point is that if you watch baseball just when your team is in the race, you're a team fan, not a baseball fan. I cheer for the Jays, who play in the most competitive division. Watching the Doc pitch even when the team didn't make the post season was a treat. Watching Bautista blast his way to the homerun championship was a "blast".

I watch baseball because I love the game. I pick a team, because it's fun to cheer for one dog in particular. But if my team doesn't win the championship, I don't care as long as I'm entertained watching the season.

Same goes for hockey in my case.

Darch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 05:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Not sure I like having the "Montreal Expos" name on the thread title...it's as if they are still playing...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 05:23 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
I miss them a lot. Jacques Doucet calling the game on the radio while I ate cracker jacks. Miss those days.
Doucet and Brulotte were the absolute best. The greatest thing is when RDS ask Doucet to come and do some MLB baseball from time to time. He can't do it when the Quebec Capitales are on but he does replace Casavant from time to time....Makes me miss the old days too.

Old
03-31-2011, 05:27 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
All we need is a stadium. If Montrealers with money can get together and organize themselves, get some investors on board and look into turning a ball park into a reality, it would make no sense for the MLB NOT to come back here under such circumstances. The only problem is the fact that teams aren't ever going to move in the current MLB method of revenue sharing. If revenue sharing can help the Pirates be profitable despite sucking on purpose, no owner is ever going to want to sell the team
I hate saying this but keep dreaming. The new generation cares about hockey, football and soccer. Despite everything that the MLB and that ****ing ******* Loria did to us, the city stopped supporting the Expos and let them die. Nobody cared about the Expos.

At some point, if people want the MLB back, they'll have to start with AAA team or something like that.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 05:38 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

I didn't want to open this thread. now I feel sad

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 06:02 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 06:02 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Just bad luck all around for this organization.

- 1 game away from the World Series in 1981.
- 94-68 record in 1993. 2 GB of the Phillies. Had the Wild Card been implemented one year earlier, Expos would have been in. Just to compare. The World Champs Jays finished 95-67, only 1 game better than the Expos.
- Of course 1994. Best record in baseball with a 74-40 record. 6 games up on the division and 9 games up on the Wild Card.
- The fire sale of 1995. Players were willing to take pay cuts to stay.
- The choke on 1996. Had the Wild Card lead until late September with a 85-70 record but lost 7 of the last 10 games to miss.
- Traded Alou after 1996. Traded Pedro after his Cy Young in 1997.
- Tied for Wild Card lead in 2003 on September 1st. MLB refused to allow call-ups and the team floundered.

What could have been.

The franchise was built for the 1994 season. It came down to that year and it was wiped away.

Old
03-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post

One of the saddest days ever....Doucet was so devastated and pissed off at the same time.

Old
03-31-2011, 06:08 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

I'll be rich one day. Buy a team and build a stadium in Montreal. I will then go and piss on Selig's statue in Milwaukee. I would also take Samson and put him in my suitcase.

Old
03-31-2011, 06:11 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Just bad luck all around for this organization.

- 1 game away from the World Series in 1981.
- 94-68 record in 1993. 2 GB of the Phillies. Had the Wild Card been implemented one year earlier, Expos would have been in. Just to compare. The World Champs Jays finished 95-67, only 1 game better than the Expos.
- Of course 1994. Best record in baseball with a 74-40 record. 6 games up on the division and 9 games up on the Wild Card.
- The fire sale of 1995. Players were willing to take pay cuts to stay.
- The choke on 1996. Had the Wild Card lead until late September with a 85-70 record but lost 7 of the last 10 games to miss.
- Traded Alou after 1996. Traded Pedro after his Cy Young in 1997.
- Tied for Wild Card lead in 2003 on September 1st. MLB refused to allow call-ups and the team floundered.

What could have been.

The franchise was built for the 1994 season. It came down to that year and it was wiped away.
Nice re-cap...makes ya wanna cry...you are right, what could have been...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 06:16 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!