HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers are "in on" Stephane Da Costa (UPDATE - Signs w/ Senators)

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2011, 02:29 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
I was half kidding..Altho im sick of players 5ft 10 and under..Please give me some 6ft 2 Americans and Canadians..
You are free to start a bring up Wade Redden thread (6'2 farmboy) if you want, but the last time I checked we didn't have a single small soft player on the roster. It seriously sounds like you have not watched the team in 4-5 years lol.

Old
03-31-2011, 03:13 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Would be nice to have him, but I think that will not happen. I think heŽll stay in Canada and joins the Sens :/

Old
03-31-2011, 03:22 AM
eco's bones

Da Costa has done more than anyone to put Merrimack--an almost perennial mediocrity of a team--on the hockey map the last couple years. It would be nice if he were over 6' but there's nothing that can be done about that. Sometimes these college free agents don't work out as hoped but in any case the guy is good enough where he's going to get a serious shot at the NHL by someone. Don't see anything negative if that someone is us.

Old
03-31-2011, 03:32 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Is he available to play tonight?

Old
03-31-2011, 06:08 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Am now being told that Stephane Da Costa decision likely coming on Thursday. Am told it's still between MIN, OTT and FLA
https://twitter.com/#!/MikeMcMahonET...56620704141312

Quote:
It is believed that Ottawa and Minnesota are the front-runners in the derby for Da Costa, who is likely to sign an Entry Level contract that will carry a $3.5 million cap hit (including bonuses) per.

That would seem a prohibitive number for the Blueshirts, who are going to face summer cap issues, but that apparently hasn't kept from either bidding, or remaining in contention for the sophomore.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1IAoIgX1P

Where are the Rangers finding $3.5M of cap space?No bonus cushion next season. The entire $3.5M counts against the upper limit instead of just $900,000 MAX salary. Florida and Ottawa have the most space. Minny doesn't have any major free agent(s) to re-sign so they afford that cap hit.

Unless Sather knows something about Drury or unless Da Costa wants to spend most of next season in Hartford,CT or is flexible in taking less bonus money,Da Costa will sign with one of those 3 teams. Da Costa won't count against the summer cap. Even if Drury retires or is moved for AHL fodder,that $3.5M cap hit is tough for the Rangers.

Da Costa might take less money but it appears he wants some type of roster spot guarantee.

Quote:
According to sources close to the situation, Da Costa and his party met with Minnesota Wild general manager Chuck Fletcher on Tuesday. Fletcher is the one who nabbed Wellman last year. Sources also indicate that Florida, Ottawa and Boston are still very much in the hunt.

With the Flyers, Da Costa was less interested in money and more interested in how quickly he could crack the roster. Holmgren could not promise anything, as he already has a stacked NHL lineup.
Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1IAqwjGq7

Old
03-31-2011, 06:32 AM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Don't think he'll come to NY, seams more interested in playin time than money and possible opportunities, min ott and fla are great choices to get max money and a good crack at the lineup. Personally I'd go with minnessota.

Old
03-31-2011, 06:39 AM
UAGoalieGuy

It would be nice if the Rangers could get him, but the Rangers just can't give him the chance to play right away next season like other teams can do. Cap space kinda hurts as well.

Old
03-31-2011, 07:00 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I still don't see the "there's no spot" argument.

Christensen
Wolski
Zuccarello
Avery

These guys are expendable, they're not going to be blocking anyone in camp. They can barely keep a regular shift right now.

Prospal and Fedotenko won't be back.

Kreider, Hagelin, Werek, Thomas, Grachev, Weise will be competing for spots in camp.

Kreider will make it.

There will still be spots wide open to earn.

If the issue is guaranteeing a spot, the kid is fooling himself. No one should be guaranteeing him a spot. Seems like a character flaw to me. Earn it if you want it. No one should hand it to him.

I won't lose sleep if we don't get him. We still have a ton of talent here in the pipe.

But it shouldn't stop us from adding more. As much talent as possible. Depth and options never hurt any team.

Old
03-31-2011, 07:13 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

3.5 is far too high and would potentially prevent the Rangers from playing him even if he was NHL ready.

I like the kid, but 3.5 has Bozak spelled all over it if he doesn't pan out well.

03-31-2011, 07:15 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
https://twitter.com/#!/MikeMcMahonET...56620704141312

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1IAoIgX1P

Where are the Rangers finding $3.5M of cap space?No bonus cushion next season. The entire $3.5M counts against the upper limit instead of just $900,000 MAX salary. Florida and Ottawa have the most space. Minny doesn't have any major free agent(s) to re-sign so they afford that cap hit.

Unless Sather knows something about Drury or unless Da Costa wants to spend most of next season in Hartford,CT or is flexible in taking less bonus money,Da Costa will sign with one of those 3 teams. Da Costa won't count against the summer cap. Even if Drury retires or is moved for AHL fodder,that $3.5M cap hit is tough for the Rangers.

Da Costa might take less money but it appears he wants some type of roster spot guarantee.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1IAqwjGq7
Isn't it that only one-way contracts count against the summer cap? If so that shouldn't be an issue since all ELC are two-way deals. But of course there's no way we have 3.5 million of cap space next season if we want to sign Richards, unless Drury retires and Avery is gone as well

Old
03-31-2011, 09:15 AM
NYRJE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Isn't it that only one-way contracts count against the summer cap? If so that shouldn't be an issue since all ELC are two-way deals.
Not sure; Gilroy has a one-way deal http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=737.

Old
03-31-2011, 09:18 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Gilroy didn't sign an Entry Level Contract.

Old
03-31-2011, 09:28 AM
NYRJE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
Gilroy didn't sign an Entry Level Contract.
Gotcha; my bad.

Old
03-31-2011, 09:28 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJE View Post
Not sure; Gilroy has a one-way deal http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=737.
He was too old. ELC's only apply to players under the age of 25.

Old
03-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
3.5 is far too high and would potentially prevent the Rangers from playing him even if he was NHL ready.

I like the kid, but 3.5 has Bozak spelled all over it if he doesn't pan out well.
Agreed, 3.5 is way way to high for an unproven.

Old
03-31-2011, 09:36 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJE View Post
Gotcha; my bad.
No problem.

Old
03-31-2011, 09:43 AM
NYRJE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
He was too old. ELC's only apply to players under the age of 25.
I have been educated, sir.

Old
03-31-2011, 09:49 AM
Ola

As regards the 50 contracts, don't be suprised if we land a Russian from the KHL this sumer. I know Anders Hedberg have been scouting the KHL intensivly this season.

There are some good players in that league for sure. A lot of talent have stayed there the last 4-5 years, natrually, some of those players -- who previously weren't so high regarded, at the time they were/should have been drafted et c -- have developed a lot lately. There is definitely some high end NHL talent to be found in that league besides the big names (JJ, Marek, Radulov and co), and if we somehow can come around the enter-level dilema (they always make more in the KHL then they would under a entery level deal in the NHL), steals could be made for sure.

Old
03-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I still don't see the "there's no spot" argument.

Zuccarello

These guys are expendable, they're not going to be blocking anyone in camp. They can barely keep a regular shift right now.

Kreider, Hagelin, Werek, Thomas, Grachev, Weise will be competing for spots in camp.
Zucc is expendable now?

Old
03-31-2011, 10:19 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

EC?
W2?
Gabby?
Prospal?

I consider them all soft dont you? I didn't even mention Zuc because I like him.He at least gets his nose dirty even tho he's tiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
You are free to start a bring up Wade Redden thread (6'2 farmboy) if you want, but the last time I checked we didn't have a single small soft player on the roster. It seriously sounds like you have not watched the team in 4-5 years lol.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Patriks7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
After Sasha Treille in 2008 (who declined the invitation to the rookie camp), that'd be the second time in recent history that the Rangers go after a frenchie. I don't know what to think about Da Costa honestly. As much as I'd like to see a fellow countryman play for the Rangers, where would he fit next season with the big club? Especially if we sign Richards this summer. I wouldn't want this signing to interfere with the chances of Kreider or Thomas to make the team out of camp.
I want Richards to sign with us as much as most of you guys here, but it's really no guarantee. From what I read about him, he should be determined to fight for a spot. Even though that 3.5 mil cap hit people are bringing up is quite high. But if Richards doesn't sign with us, what is the harm of bringing in a young kid who could potentially grow with the team for years?

Old
03-31-2011, 11:01 AM
AJRanger

FriedgeHNIC
Hearing OTT has landed Da Costa

Old
03-31-2011, 11:06 AM
TrueBlueNorwegian

Confirmed by McKenzie. Da Costa is a Senator.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Closed Thread