HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #77 @ Buffalo Sabres

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #77 @ Buffalo Sabres
Artem Anisimov 1 1.12%
Ryan Callahan 2 2.25%
Brandon Dubinsky 3 3.37%
Marian Gaborik 6 6.74%
Dan Girardi 0 0%
Henrik Lundqvist 43 48.31%
Henrik Lundqvist 19 21.35%
Michael Sauer 0 0%
Marc Staal 0 0%
Derek Stepan 8 8.99%
Other 7 7.87%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-31-2011, 10:20 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilezia View Post
I noticed that when The Ghost of Alex Frolov wins his own award we only score an average of 1.75 goals per game while our whole season average is 2.83
I have noticed this correlation. It usually speaks to a lack of any sustained offensive zone pressure.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:39 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
torts at his best.
I'm not trying to paint the Torts strategy in a negative light. The Rangers aren't in the playoffs without the semi-skilled guys working their tails off. I just think you do need to employ a double standard in certain cases and let a floater float if the payoff is opportunistic offense that no one else seems to be able to provide.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Are you advocating that those two should have been playing?
down a goal with less than 10 minutes to play; yes. You need to roll your best nine offensive players and hope someone makes a play. Boyle, Prust and Feds should have been nailed to the bench until we tied it up.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
down a goal with less than 10 minutes to play; yes. You need to roll your best nine offensive players and hope someone makes a play. Boyle, Prust and Feds should have been nailed to the bench until we tied it up.
To be fair, Prust, Boyle, and Feds have a combined 42 goals.

Avery-EC-Wolski only have about 25.

03-31-2011, 11:06 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
1. For all he lacked in the offensive zone, Boyle played a very strong game defensively. Among other things the block he made in the first when Hank was down and out basically save a goal.

2. The gdt trolling is getting out of hand. Root for the sweater.
I agree about Boyle; 4th line center. I think all the talk of him being a good 3rd line center for the future was way premature.

Old
03-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Bardof425*

Let's not overract to a loss against a desperate team. They scored on their PP and we didn't. We hit a couple of posts and Enhroth played well. However, if we lose tonight with the teams coming up on our schedule, I will worry. Carolina is coming hard and Buffalo is generally finding a way. The Canadiens are vulnerable and can be had. If we get 6 points the rest of the way that should be enough. I will relax today and look forward to tonight. Tomorrow, if we lose, different guy.

Old
03-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
I realize boyle played poorly last game, but you're getting on Torts for putting him out there instead of EC and Wolski. They have arguably been our worst two players the last stretch of games. I see the argument with boyle, but backing it up by saying those two deserved ice time with the game on the line is just pathetic.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:29 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I'm not trying to paint the Torts strategy in a negative light. The Rangers aren't in the playoffs without the semi-skilled guys working their tails off. I just think you do need to employ a double standard in certain cases and let a floater float if the payoff is opportunistic offense that no one else seems to be able to provide.
we agree.

i said the same thing with lisin. kotalik not so much as i wasnt always sold on his work ethic.

there can be room for players who are offensive by nature. what you give up on the defensive side you hopefully makeup with good 2 way linemates and the production this player provides.

and again, i agree that this team sorely needs a dose of offense. we lack players who can push back defenses and create space while carrying the puck. sometimes you have to create via skating, passing and speed.

dump and chase only goes so far.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:39 AM
NYRangers77

Are we really blaming EC? Our fourth line center lost the game? Some of you guys

NYRangers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers77 View Post
Are we really blaming EC? Our fourth line center lost the game? Some of you guys
Who's blaming EC. It was pointed out that he had two AWFUL giveaways on one shift. Obviously the entire game wasn't his fault but he was certainly part of the problem. That was easily the worst shift of the game by any player on the team last night as well.

Old
03-31-2011, 11:45 AM
GrizMint

I thought Prospal had a great game backchecking and playing good defense covering for Steps and Gaboriks getting beat behind the net

GrizMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:47 AM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

"Lisin'd"?

Lisin sucked/sucks. What does he have to do with Wolski?

03-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
"Lisin'd"?

Lisin sucked/sucks. What does he have to do with Wolski?
Exactly, there's a reason no NHL team wanted him this year as a UFA.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:01 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
we agree.

i said the same thing with lisin. kotalik not so much as i wasnt always sold on his work ethic.
Kotalik, like Wolski, brings a resume of proven offensive ability at the NHL level. Sadly, we saw them both showcase it early on in their Rangers careers, then watched is slowly trail off over time.

Lisin, like Zuccarello, shows some potential, but to think these guys are going to hammer out an NHL career with a one dimensional game is being optimistic, at best. They are the semi-skilled guys who need to add a modicum of defensive ability to their toolbox if they're going to make it in this league.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Kotalik, like Wolski, brings a resume of proven offensive ability at the NHL level. Sadly, we saw them both showcase it early on in their Rangers careers, then watched is slowly trail off over time.

Lisin, like Zuccarello, shows some potential, but to think these guys are going to hammer out an NHL career with a one dimensional game is being optimistic, at best. They are the semi-skilled guys who need to add a modicum of defensive ability to their toolbox if they're going to make it in this league.
Zuccarello is going to be fine, he just needs time to mature a little. Lisin had one of the lowest IQ's i had ever seen in a hockey player. Zuc is actually pretty smart in his hockey sense.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Zuccarello is going to be fine, he just needs time to mature a little. Lisin had one of the lowest IQ's i had ever seen in a hockey player. Zuc is actually pretty smart in his hockey sense.
Absolutely. Though I am not Zucc's biggest fan, his best asset is by far his offensive creativity and scheming. Many of his passes have been good enough this year that while the opposing defense didn't anticipate them, neither did his linemates.

I think if he finds a line that he plays with for an extended period that has a true goal scorer on it, -and I cannot stress that enough- he will have success.

Stepan and Wolski are good players but not finishers per-say, and that is what Zucc needs.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
To be fair, Prust, Boyle, and Feds have a combined 42 goals.

Avery-EC-Wolski only have about 25.
Relative playing time feeds into that and Boyle's number is not indicative of his ability to create offense. And Feds did not play well last night. If you are saying you would rather have the Boyle line out when we NEED a goal that is your opinion. I want the puck on EC or Wolski's stick in a prime scoring location everyday.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagh View Post
I usually hope for a Rangers loss when he's out of the line-up. Rangers isn't my team though and I have the sense to stay out of the GDT and not gloat about it.

I can see how some of my countrymen are disappointed though. It's not as if the Rangers have an abundance of play-makers on their team. I can also totally see how having 15 guys with 5-30 posts focus only on one of the team's players. In a sense I'm really glad I'm not Loffen, he must go a lot when they pop up.

I expect the same to happen on the Leafs board if they ever have Sondre Olden on their team/AHL team.
Zucc has been physically abused the last few games. There is less and less space out there as the season winds down and he doesn't appear to be physically able to win puck battles. He puck skills are great. But, you have to win the puck battle first and he hasn't been doing that. I'm sure it's a tough decision for Torts because he really likes the guy.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

On the man advantage or 4-on-4 with open ice, I'd take Wolski and EC.

But 5 on 5, despite not being as offensively talented I will take the Boyle line, because they create more chances for themselves, and have a much lower chance of getting caught and putting us down another goal.

And I agree, Feds was poor enough last night that he was replaced by Avery for a spell.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
I realize boyle played poorly last game, but you're getting on Torts for putting him out there instead of EC and Wolski. They have arguably been our worst two players the last stretch of games. I see the argument with boyle, but backing it up by saying those two deserved ice time with the game on the line is just pathetic.
It's not pathetic. It takes one skilled play to tie the game and both of those guys are capable of making that play. Boyle; not so much. So, unless you are going to play two lines, EC and Wolski needed to get more ice time.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:22 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
On the man advantage or 4-on-4 with open ice, I'd take Wolski and EC.

But 5 on 5, despite not being as offensively talented I will take the Boyle line, because they create more chances for themselves, and have a much lower chance of getting caught and putting us down another goal.

And I agree, Feds was poor enough last night that he was replaced by Avery for a spell.
Torts did what you are advocating and the Boyle line did not create any chances. The other two lines gave the Sabres a hard time late in the game but Boyle's line made it pretty easy on them. And that is primarily because Brian Boyle, with improved skating has zero play making skills. He is a 4th line center and your 4th line should sit in this kind of a game late. EC and Wolski didn't need to play together. Torts could have gotten creative and leaving the Pack line together cobble together two other lines that have the ability to finish a scoring chance. Gabby had them and didn't get it done. But Boyle's line just didn't and usually doesn't have them. They are a strong defensive group who can wear down the opposition in the corners but it's been a long time since that group has finished any of their chances off the cycle.

I'm willing to bet that in the last three months, Prust has more goals SH and playing with other players than he does with Boyle (Feds was hurt so I'll just focus on BB).

Old
03-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Is he going to be fine as a bottom-halfer on a Tortorella team? I don't see who he displaces in the top 6 and I can't see how he's going to find a way to exploit his skill set on a grind-line and without any PP time.

Conversely, swap him for Parenteau and, yah, I could see him as the Islanders leading scorer.

Old
03-31-2011, 02:10 PM
chosen

Quote:

Lisin never showed potential. He showed speed and nothing else.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 02:20 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Is he going to be fine as a bottom-halfer on a Tortorella team? I don't see who he displaces in the top 6 and I can't see how he's going to find a way to exploit his skill set on a grind-line and without any PP time.

Conversely, swap him for Parenteau and, yah, I could see him as the Islanders leading scorer.
The Rangers seem to be doing 3 offensive lines and a checking line. It also helps when your second line is also a great checking line. There's plenty of room for MZA to succeed, he just hasn't been playing good enough in a desperate time to warrant it. I'm sure he'll be given ample time next season.

I'd really be interested in seeing Kreider-Stepan-Zucarello when Chris breaks into the NHL.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote