HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2003 NHL Draft

Old
03-31-2011, 02:12 AM
mm6492

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Schneider has played 32 NHL games.

Brian Boucher looked pretty awesome in his first 32 NHL games, too. Who the hell knows with Schneider. Would I have liked to cut a deal for him last summer? Yes. Would I have traded Carter for him? Nope.

Jeff Carter: 3.75 GFON/60, 2.17 GAON/60, 1.58 +/-ON/60 at ES
Ryan Kesler: 2.99 GFON/60, 2.05 GAON/60, 0.95 +/-ON/60 at ES
This post will be ignored.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 05:38 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

The flyers hardly did anything wrong in that draft picking up Carts and Richie.

If I could take it again, i think I would swap Carter for Parise. We havn't had a strong scoring threat on the wing in quite a while. With Parise's two way play, we wouldn't lose anything in defense either. That way, working on everything else panning out we would have a scary looking team. Of course, with parise, some other moves probably wouldn't of happened.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 07:53 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
The flyers hardly did anything wrong in that draft picking up Carts and Richie.

If I could take it again, i think I would swap Carter for Parise. We havn't had a strong scoring threat on the wing in quite a while. With Parise's two way play, we wouldn't lose anything in defense either. That way, working on everything else panning out we would have a scary looking team. Of course, with parise, some other moves probably wouldn't of happened.
Nothing wrong with the draft of Carter and Richards, but if they finish their career with no Cup the idea of looking back on that day is an honest one that Flyers fans should look at and question. I love Parise, kid is just a hard worker who can skate, he would be perfect for Laviolette.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:01 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I just find it convient that you pick the 2003 draft with your favorite player Jeff Carter followed by your 2nd favorite Mike Richards in your little dream to be elsewhere.
Ryan Kesler instead of Jeff Carter
Corey Perry instead of Mike Richards.

I really dont know what I find more insulting honestly. If you pick Getzlaf I am ok with that over Carter, but Kelser?
Corey Perry couldnt carry Mike Richards jock. there is more to the game then just scoring goals. that is the only area where Perry is better then Richards.
If we had Kelser and Perry instead of Richards and Carter I really dont think we would be where are now. I think we would be fighting for our playoff lives. to suggest that both players would be having the seasons they are now here is pure speculation.
dont get lost in North Conway.

All valid opinions, but the reason why I chose the 2003 draft was merely because of the depth of the draft. This team alone has four players from that draft.

I know my way around NH/Vt, expecting @10" on friday, going to ski Loon on saturday and Jay Peak on sunday.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Possibly the deepest draft in NHL history. Flyers with the #11 pick took Jeff Carter and with the 24th pick there was Mike Richards, the current core of the franchise. If you could have your choice, 20/20 obviously part of the big picture, who might you have selected otherwise or are you content with the players you have on the roster?

For me the interest begins with Ryan Kesler or Zach Parise. I know for a fact that if Kesler was available at #24 you would have Kesler as your current captain and not Richards. So with the #11 pick, Ryan Kesler.

Now on to the #24 pick. Corey Perry. Guy has turned into a stud, and a natural RW. Also 2nd on the Ducks with 100pims, and can play a physical game.

JvR-Kesler-Versteeg
Nodl-Giroux-Perry
Hartnell-Briere-Leino

Round one# Player Nationality NHL team College/junior/club team
1 Marc-Andre Fleury (Goaltender) Canada Pittsburgh Penguins
(from Florida Panthers) Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL)
2 Eric Staal (Centre) Canada Carolina Hurricanes Peterborough Petes (OHL)
3 Nathan Horton (Right Wing) Canada Florida Panthers
(from Pittsburgh Penguins) Oshawa Generals (OHL)
4 Nikolai Zherdev (Right Wing) Russia Columbus Blue Jackets CSKA Moscow (Russia)
5 Thomas Vanek (Left Wing) Austria Buffalo Sabres University of Minnesota (NCAA)
6 Milan Michalek (Left Wing) Czech Republic San Jose Sharks HC Ceske Budejovice (Czech Republic)
7 Ryan Suter (Defence) United States Nashville Predators U.S. National Team Development Program (NAHL)
8 Braydon Coburn (Defence) Canada Atlanta Thrashers Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
9 Dion Phaneuf (Defence) Canada Calgary Flames Red Deer Rebels (WHL)
10 Andrei Kostitsyn (Right Wing) Belarus Montreal Canadiens CSKA Moscow (Russia)
11 Jeff Carter (Centre) Canada Philadelphia Flyers
(from Phoenix Coyotes) Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)
12 Hugh Jessiman (Right Wing) United States New York Rangers Dartmouth College (NCAA)
13 Dustin Brown (Right Wing) United States Los Angeles Kings Guelph Storm (OHL)
14 Brent Seabrook (Defence) Canada Chicago Blackhawks Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL)
15 Robert Nilsson (Right Wing) Sweden New York Islanders Leksands IF (Sweden)
16 Steve Bernier (Right Wing) Canada San Jose Sharks
(from Boston Bruins) Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL)
17 Zach Parise (Centre) United States New Jersey Devils
(from Edmonton Oilers) University of North Dakota (NCAA)
18 Eric Fehr (Right Wing) Canada Washington Capitals Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
19 Ryan Getzlaf (Centre) Canada Mighty Ducks of Anaheim Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
20 Brent Burns (Defence) Canada Minnesota Wild Brampton Battalion (OHL)
21 Mark Stuart (Defence) United States Boston Bruins
(from Toronto Maple Leafs) Colorado College (NCAA)
22 Marc-Antoine Pouliot (Centre) Canada Edmonton Oilers
(from St. Louis Blues) Rimouski Océanic (QMJHL)
23 Ryan Kesler (Centre) United States Vancouver Canucks Ohio State University (NCAA)
24 Mike Richards (Centre) Canada Philadelphia Flyers Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
25 Anthony Stewart (Right Wing) Canada Florida Panthers
(from Tampa Bay Lightning) Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)
26 Brian Boyle (Centre) United States Los Angeles Kings
(from Colorado Avalanche) St. Sebastian's (USHS)
27 Jeff Tambellini (Left Wing) Canada Los Angeles Kings
(from Detroit Red Wings) University of Michigan (NCAA)
28 Corey Perry (Right Wing) Canada Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
(from Dallas Stars) London Knights (OHL)
29 Patrick Eaves (Right Wing) United States Ottawa Senators Boston College (NCAA)
30 Shawn Belle (Defence) Canada St. Louis Blues
(from New Jersey Devils) Tri-City Americans (WHL)
In hindsight, the Flyers still did an incredible job here. Getzlaf/Perry would both be immense additions to our team, but not at the cost of Richie or Carter.

In hindsight I make the same call, but damn.........That draft was DEEP!!! The possible conitations are fun to explore, so give the OP a break guys

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:45 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
JvR-Kesler-Versteeg
Nodl-Giroux-Perry
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Wait a sec - I just noticed your projected lineup.

How do you figure the Flyers have a shot at JVR, considering Getzlaf/Kesler and Perry would have carried the Flyers to the promised land, whereas Richards and Carter are do-nothing, useless bums, in the season that shall not be named?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

How do you figure the Flyers have a shot at JVR, considering Getzlaf/Kesler and Perry would have carried the Flyers to the promised land, whereas Richards and Carter are do-nothing, useless bums, in the season that shall not be named?
Very true. In all reality we would be looking at...

Nick Ross-Kesler-Versteeg
Nodl-Giroux-Perry
Hartnell-Briere-Leino

Solid!

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Nothing wrong with the draft of Carter and Richards, but if they finish their career with no Cup the idea of looking back on that day is an honest one that Flyers fans should look at and question. I love Parise, kid is just a hard worker who can skate, he would be perfect for Laviolette.
The Flyers didn't win the Cup with Propp, Howe, Poulin, Recchi, LeClair, or Desjardins. I guess we never should have acquired them!

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

Ah, yes, I see what you did here.

Oh boy, you got me good.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The Flyers didn't win the Cup with Propp, Howe, Poulin, Recchi, LeClair, or Desjardins. I guess we never should have acquired them!
Out of that group how many were draft picks brought up through the organization? Only Propp. And Propp went on to have a very good career, in the 1987 playoffs he had 28pts in 26 games, for a career he played in 116 games for the Flyers in the playoffs and accumulated 112 pts. He also eclisped the 40 goal mark four times over his Flyes career.

And Howe......please do not mention his name along with Carter and Richards until they have 1/4 the career as him, blasphamy. Howe was the Philadelphia Flyers during his tenure, no one ever questioned his work ethic or will to win.

Rico, love him, but he was in the twilight of his career.

Recchi, always be known as the guy who got Barber fired.

Johnny Vt, love the guy, but the one run with Lindros in 1997 was his real chance, the 2000 season was purely just getting hot at the right time, but the Devils were at the top of their game when it counted.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:05 PM
phillyfanatic

For fun: How do you rank the players if the draft was today (I know I am biased):

1. Eric Staal, 224 G, 273 A, 1 Stanley Cup, Captain
2. Mike Richards, 131 G, 214 A, 1 SCF, Captain, Top 2 way forward in NHL
3. Shea Weber, 80G, 132A, Top D-man in the league
4. Ryan Getzlaf, 125 G, 283 A, 1 Stanley Cup
5. Corey Perry, 164 G, 194 A, 1 Stanley Cup
6. MArc Andre Fleury
7. Zach Parise, 163 G, 178 A
8. Jeff Carter, 180 G, 161 A
9. Ryan Kesler, 126 G, 157 A, great two-way forward
10. Patrice Bergeron, 121 G, 214 A, Great two-way forward
11. Thomas Vanek, 199 G, 180 A,
12. Dion Phaneuf, 85G, 183A, Captain,
13. Brent Seabrook, 36G, 150A, 1 Stanley Cup, solid defenseman
14. Loui Ericsson, 109G, 140A
15. Ryan Suter, 30G, 60A
16. Nathan Horton, 166G, 179A
17. Brent Burns, 54G, 126A
18. Braydon Coburn, 26G, 85A,
19. Dustin Brown, 140G, 162A
20. Tobias Enstrom, 26G, 145A
21. Milan Michalek, 130G, 149A, Solid two-way forward
22. Andrei Kostitsyn, 87G, 96A
23. Nik Zherdev, 114G 144A

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 12:09 PM
mm6492

If you replace Carter with Parise I think our team is very comparable to Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory down the middle.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Out of that group how many were draft picks brought up through the organization? Only Propp. And Propp went on to have a very good career, in the 1987 playoffs he had 28pts in 26 games, for a career he played in 116 games for the Flyers in the playoffs and accumulated 112 pts. He also eclisped the 40 goal mark four times over his Flyes career.

And Howe......please do not mention his name along with Carter and Richards until they have 1/4 the career as him, blasphamy. Howe was the Philadelphia Flyers during his tenure, no one ever questioned his work ethic or will to win.

Rico, love him, but he was in the twilight of his career.

Recchi, always be known as the guy who got Barber fired.

Johnny Vt, love the guy, but the one run with Lindros in 1997 was his real chance, the 2000 season was purely just getting hot at the right time, but the Devils were at the top of their game when it counted.
My point stands. Looking back and saying "WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TAKEN THEM" if they don't win the Cup is asinine. We made out damned well in that draft by anybody's standards. Using that logic, every single player drafted that doesn't win the Cup is a waste of time, and the management was foolish for not drafting the magical mystery combination of "other" players that would have brought success.

Howe never won the cup as a player. Using your logic, there was no point in having him, because maybe someone else would have won it!

I think you forget that this is a team sport, and one or two players only go so far. You're putting too much responsibility on Carter and Richards. I'd personally look to the GM, since he is in charge of filling the rest of the roster around them. That's the key to success.

And before you say something about Richards' leadership, I'm going to preemptively inform you that you're pulling speculation out your ass.

edit: eh, I think I wandered off topic here. And I stretched "your" logic that you may have never actually used. Sorry, I'm busy at work.

I like Parise. There, fixed.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:13 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
For fun: How do you rank the players if the draft was today (I know I am biased):

1. Eric Staal, 224 G, 273 A, 1 Stanley Cup, Captain
2. Mike Richards, 131 G, 214 A, 1 SCF, Captain, Top 2 way forward in NHL
3. Shea Weber, 80G, 132A, Top D-man in the league
4. Ryan Getzlaf, 125 G, 283 A, 1 Stanley Cup
5. Corey Perry, 164 G, 194 A, 1 Stanley Cup
6. MArc Andre Fleury
7. Zach Parise, 163 G, 178 A
8. Jeff Carter, 180 G, 161 A
9. Ryan Kesler, 126 G, 157 A, great two-way forward
10. Patrice Bergeron, 121 G, 214 A, Great two-way forward
11. Thomas Vanek, 199 G, 180 A,
12. Dion Phaneuf, 85G, 183A, Captain,
13. Brent Seabrook, 36G, 150A, 1 Stanley Cup, solid defenseman
14. Loui Ericsson, 109G, 140A
15. Ryan Suter, 30G, 60A
16. Nathan Horton, 166G, 179A
17. Brent Burns, 54G, 126A
18. Braydon Coburn, 26G, 85A,
19. Dustin Brown, 140G, 162A
20. Tobias Enstrom, 26G, 145A
21. Milan Michalek, 130G, 149A, Solid two-way forward
22. Andrei Kostitsyn, 87G, 96A
23. Nik Zherdev, 114G 144A
Love Richards but Datsyuk is.

And Tobias Enstrom is way to low and Phaneuf way to high.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
My point stands. Looking back and saying "WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TAKEN THEM" if they don't win the Cup is asinine. We made out damned well in that draft by anybody's standards. Using that logic, every single player drafted that doesn't win the Cup is a waste of time, and the management was foolish for not drafting the magical mystery combination of "other" players that would have brought success.

Howe never won the cup as a player. Using your logic, there was no point in having him, because maybe someone else would have won it!

I think you forget that this is a team sport, and one or two players only go so far. You're putting too much responsibility on Carter and Richards. I'd personally look to the GM, since he is in charge of filling the rest of the roster around them. That's the key to success.

And before you say something about Richards' leadership, I'm going to preemptively inform you that you're pulling speculation out your ass.

edit: eh, I think I wandered off topic here. And I stretched "your" logic that you may have never actually used. Sorry, I'm busy at work.

I like Parise. There, fixed.

Again, no one questioned Howe's work ethic or leadership, he was a model athlete in Philly and a great player. The 1987 season was the one that they needed back, with Kerr going out it made the road so much tougher against the all-star Oilers. No trophy for 2nd place, and each one of the playes mentioned failed to accomplish it in O&B. That is their legacy.

Carter and Richards will have their legacy, but ownership has all but given them a great chance(minus goaltending) to lead this team to victory. Can they do it, and if they do not who will they blame? This is a real test of character for this team. After the 1987 series it was probably the Flyers team I was most proud of without a Cup, quite a gritty bunch.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Again, no one questioned Howe's work ethic or leadership, he was a model athlete in Philly and a great player. The 1987 season was the one that they needed back, with Kerr going out it made the road so much tougher against the all-star Oilers. No trophy for 2nd place, and each one of the playes mentioned failed to accomplish it in O&B. That is their legacy.

Carter and Richards will have their legacy, but ownership has all but given them a great chance(minus goaltending) to lead this team to victory. Can they do it, and if they do not who will they blame? This is a real test of character for this team. After the 1987 series it was probably the Flyers team I was most proud of without a Cup, quite a gritty bunch.
IMO, last season's failure was firmly on goaltending and the third pairing. I can't really fault anyone else.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
IMO, last season's failure was firmly on goaltending and the third pairing. I can't really fault anyone else.
Nice run, but how about a team who got their coach fired? Who does that fall on? 10 game losing streaks, where does the responsibility lie? This group quit on Stevens and when Laviolette came in he amped up the speed. Practices, work, effort every shift and every night. The end result, a nice run, good effort. What if Carter had been able to score the goal with 3 minutes left in game 6.....clutch.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Nice run, but how about a team who got their coach fired? Who does that fall on? 10 game losing streaks, where does the responsibility lie? This group quit on Stevens and when Laviolette came in he amped up the speed. Practices, work, effort every shift and every night. The end result, a nice run, good effort. What if Carter had been able to score the goal with 3 minutes left in game 6.....clutch.
That isn't Carter's fault. Niemi made a great save. Give credit where it's due.

It isn't the team's fault Stevens was fired. It was Stevens' fault.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:55 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
I suppose Detroit fans should call out Nik Lidstrom for missing a great opportunity to tie the game in the dying seconds of the 7th game 2009 Stanley Cup Final.

If only Nik Lidstrom was clutch.

03-31-2011, 12:58 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Imagine if we kept Stevens and traded for Randy Jones. We would of gone 16-0 on the way to the Cup!

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:01 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Why haven't we had any 10 game losing streaks this year? I mean, this is the same core.

5, 1, 4, 3, 4, 3 -- goals we had in the 6 Finals games last year. No reason for us not to win at least 3 of those games. Why didn't we? Jeff Carter is not the answer -- it's a more basic reason: we did not have the goaltending/defense to get it done. AHL goalie coupled with four defensemen, some of whom were hurt. It's not gonna work out for you.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I suppose Detroit fans should call out Nik Lidstrom for missing a great opportunity to tie the game in the dying seconds of the 7th game 2009 Stanley Cup Final.

If only Nik Lidstrom was clutch.
How many times is his name on the Cup? I thnk he gets a pass considering that was the 2nd year in a row in the SCF's. Oh, and just an FYI, they won it the year before.

Come on, these are layups folks.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
How many times is his name on the Cup? I thnk he gets a pass considering that was the 2nd year in a row in the SCF's. Oh, and just an FYI, they won it the year before.

Come on, these are layups folks.
It's ok to admit that Niemi made an incredible save, and that Carter couldn't have done much.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:11 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
It's ok to admit that Niemi made an incredible save, and that Carter couldn't have done much.
Cambell had a piece on that too, but if there was only the one-timer it would have been in. Great missed chance, now he can redeem himself, make his own history.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:15 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Cartsiephan probably would have drafted Jessiman instead of Carter, since our flyers team is too soft for him

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote