HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Havlat Signed a 1 Yr. Deal

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2003, 02:54 PM
V for Voodoo

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Havlat Signed a 1 Yr. Deal

as per SRC. details to follow

Old
10-11-2003, 03:09 PM
Cayouche5

vCash: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
as per SRC. details to follow
http://www.rds.ca/cgi-bin/nouvelles?...n&sport=#89627

Old
10-11-2003, 05:51 PM
discostu

There hasn't been any news on what the deal is worth. It's a one year deal. It's apparently got some significant bonus clauses in it, as well. If I had to speculate, my guess is the base deal is probably close to what the Sens were offering ($1.3 M) and will probably have up to $.5 million in bonuses availble.

We'll have to wait and see what the specific details are. As it is, I'm not too crazy with any deal in this situation being much more than the minimum that needs to be offered, but at least a deal is done, and the team can put this behind them.

An interesting question to consider now is what to do with Havlat. Last year, with Rachunek, they put him on a two-week condition stint in the AHL. This was mainly to give them time to figure out what to do with their surplus defencemen, but it also gave Rachunek a couple of weeks to get back the time lost of training camp. I'd like to see the same happen for Havlat, especially with his injury history, but I don't think we'll see it happen, especially if his contract contains significant bonuses.

Old
10-11-2003, 06:02 PM
SENSfreak_03

yay, now we get to go thru it all again next summer :clown:

Old
10-11-2003, 06:17 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
wow...i almost fell off the sofa when this popped up on HNC tonight. wow...well...let's see what the contract is first...then we "might" rejoice.

My only "issue" is how this will affect Spetzky in a year or so...I don't want to have to fork over 4 mill to keep this kid cuz...DAMN!

Old
10-11-2003, 08:04 PM
Skrymir

It was the highlight of the game when they anounced Havlat signing duriong the second intermition. And they're talking about having Fisher and white ready for wednesday aswell.... It'll be good have the team at full strength for the first roadtrip.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:30 PM
south-sentral

Ladies and Gentlemen...the best right side in hockey is officially back

Way to go Marty!

Old
10-12-2003, 03:11 AM
Puck
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
...An interesting question to consider now is what to do with Havlat. Last year, with Rachunek, they put him on a two-week condition stint in the AHL. This was mainly to give them time to figure out what to do with their surplus defencemen, but it also gave Rachunek a couple of weeks to get back the time lost of training camp. I'd like to see the same happen for Havlat, especially with his injury history, but I don't think we'll see it happen, especially if his contract contains significant bonuses.
In the last several years, the Sens have stared down any player on his second contract. Even Hossa. Havlat has dared to stare back. Havlat has already been treated different compared to Fisher, Neil, Rachunek last season; he was offered much more than the usual 10% increase. I suppose he will also not be asked to go to Bingo for a conditioning stint. As they would say on Saturday Night Live, 'I guess heee's Special' Otherwise, I would like them not to put him in the line-up for a few games to let him skate with the team a bit, I hate those nagging recurring groin injuries and Marty has that affliction.

I haven't seen the details of the contract. It has to be approved by the League I guess before the info leaks out later today or tomorrow. We'll probably see the base salary, the bonuses will be less obvious. Both sides had to save face. So I guess the base will be close to where the Sens wanted and the bonuses will bring Marty where he wanted. But now Marty needs the cooperation of the coaching staff to get him those bonuses. Less PP time means less points = low or no bonuses. Martin has a captive listener now, maybe Havlat might have a more sensitive ear re. the benefits of playing both sides of the rink and two-way hockey.

Like most fans, I really dislike these contractual negotiations, but I guess they are a fact of life in pro-sports. I just wish fans wouldn't get so emotional about this. It is going to happen again and again in the future. Get used to it. I'm developing a pretty thick skin to these shenanigans. Call it Yashinitis.

Ho-hum Marty's back *yawn*.....

Old
10-12-2003, 04:32 AM
officeglen

In a column by Bruce Garrioch:

Sens better off with Havlat

Quote:
And while the 22-year-old was prepared to sit as long as it took to receive the $2 million (all terms US) he felt he deserved, the fourth-year player opted for a $1.6-million deal with bonuses, the largest single-year contract in the history of the NHL for a player who is graduating from an entry-level contract.

Despite the fact it's only a one-year solution, the kind of season most are expecting from Havlat would allow him to cash in next year in front of an independent arbitrator.
As you can see, a little timbit of donut thinking worked its way into his column - Havlat will not be "next year in front of an independent arbitrator" - he needs another season past this one for that. However this season will allow him to demonstrate his star or superstar potential, in particular getting beyond the 59 points he had last season. If he can do this, then Mucks can pay him next season for what he has delivered, not just what he might bring.

Anyways nice to see Havlat back, as it allows us to have 3 lines of 1/2 calibre players. For example if Jacques starts with White/Spezza/Alfie and Varada/Bonk/Hossa he can slip a 3rd line of Schastlivy/Smoke/Havlat on the ice. And if the other team's prime checkers are occupied with the Spezza and Hossa lines, Havlat should be freed up to get those performance bonuses, and everybody wins.

Old
10-12-2003, 10:01 AM
H2ODP

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
In a column by Bruce Garrioch:

Sens better off with Havlat

As you can see, a little timbit of donut thinking worked its way into his column - Havlat will not be "next year in front of an independent arbitrator" - he needs another season past this one for that. However this season will allow him to demonstrate his star or superstar potential, in particular getting beyond the 59 points he had last season. If he can do this, then Mucks can pay him next season for what he has delivered, not just what he might bring.

Anyways nice to see Havlat back, as it allows us to have 3 lines of 1/2 calibre players. For example if Jacques starts with White/Spezza/Alfie and Varada/Bonk/Hossa he can slip a 3rd line of Schastlivy/Smoke/Havlat on the ice. And if the other team's prime checkers are occupied with the Spezza and Hossa lines, Havlat should be freed up to get those performance bonuses, and everybody wins.
Is Van Allen a healthy scratch when Fisher gets back? Is schaefer-fisher-neil the 4th line? Or will they move fisher to the wing and varada down to the 4th line? Too many questions..

Old
10-12-2003, 10:51 AM
Safir*

:dazzle: :dazzle: :dazzle:

GREEEEEEAAAAAAAATTTTTTT!

Welcome back Marty.

Thanks John for taking such a hard stance in the whole affair.

Go Sens!

Old
10-12-2003, 05:53 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

TSN was reporting a one year deal at 1.6 million.

Old
10-12-2003, 06:32 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
My computer hasn't been working for the last week, so this is some very good news to come back to.

Old
10-13-2003, 12:00 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Finally.

here's he comes in my pool

Old
10-13-2003, 02:06 PM
Hossa

Personally, i'm dissapointed to be honest. I think Muckler caved because Marty was at the airport in Montreal.

I love that Havlat's back, don't get me wrong. I just wish that they had signed him to a long-term deal, ala Hossa. Now, we have to do this all over again next year, when he has more leverage, although still not full leverage (no arbitration rights). Ah well, at least he's back.

Old
10-13-2003, 02:10 PM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
Personally, i'm dissapointed to be honest. I think Muckler caved because Marty was at the airport in Montreal.

I love that Havlat's back, don't get me wrong. I just wish that they had signed him to a long-term deal, ala Hossa. Now, we have to do this all over again next year, when he has more leverage, although still not full leverage (no arbitration rights). Ah well, at least he's back.
You have to find SOMEthing to complain about don't you? I'm looking forward to when muckler announces that Alfie has been signed to a new long-term deal.

Closed Thread