HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

our bottom 6 who should we target?

Old
03-31-2011, 12:52 PM
leafspring*

vCash: 500
40 or better point guys with 15-20 goal potential or better,and good defensive games,and grit/shot blockers.As many as we can afford,and let them all fight it out in Training camp.If it bumps a roster players currently holding a job, then so be it.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I don't like the idea of terribly overpaying to get a bottom 6 UFA. I'd rather use money towards a top 6 UFA.
We have the space to do both and the need as well. I am of the mind that the hole at 1C gets way too much attention. It needs an improvement but not one as huge as is often implied here.

I think our biggest weakness all season has been our bottom 6. Who do we put out against our opponents best?

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:24 PM
jimmycarter

depends if colton orr is back and how long he can come back for.

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:27 PM
K19*

John Madden, UFA

For:
-former Selke winner (01)
-finished runner-up for Selke three times (03, 04, 08)
-great penalty-killer
-great speed
-experience (134 playoff games)
-three-time Stanley Cup winner
-from Ontario

Against:
-doesn't bring size to the 4th line
-37 years old
-apparently likes Minnesota
-has a better shot at a cup with other contending teams who may want to sign him

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Lightsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Why not? because Bozak is not a 1st line center
I agree with you, but honestly, I'd rather see Bozak, Kadri, Colborne or even Carlton the Bear in that 1C slot rather than see Burke overpay for solutions that aren't. If Richards can be obtained, you go for it. I wouldn't look at Weiss or Laich as good enough substitutes.

Lightsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 02:21 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsol View Post
I agree with you, but honestly, I'd rather see Bozak, Kadri, Colborne or even Carlton the Bear in that 1C slot rather than see Burke overpay for solutions that aren't. If Richards can be obtained, you go for it. I wouldn't look at Weiss or Laich as good enough substitutes.
There is not much for centers UFA's this summer,but we need scoring period.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsol View Post
I think a Weiss type player is enough. We do not need a top heavy scoring threat. I would prefere 3 lines that can score goals. I think a player of Weiss's calibre turns the Kessel line into a bonefied threat everytime it is on the ice. I think Richards is overkill at a certain price point and contract length. If he wants a retirement contract, I would not give it to him here in Toronto.

I put a lot more emphasis on turning the 3rd line into a checking/scoring hybrid and putting a guy on Kessel's line who can match Kessel's production. I believe if you obtain a guy like that, both statlines increase over the course of the season.

I think we focus too much on the names on the back of jersey's when we discuss who is #1 talent etc...

If Grabo and Kule continue their pace into next season, are they not #1 talent?

I have always maintained that a team needs to go from bad to average; average to good then good to great. We have been bad and this year we have been average. We are not going to be great next year but we can be good and be ready to move into greatness in the future if we play our cards right.

I think Richards makes us good but if he is signed too long and for too much then we have capped out our potential at good and may never see great.

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 02:43 PM
Sluck13

I don't think it needs much work with a new center Bozak goes down to the third with Brown and Brent then the last line can be sjostrom, boyse, and upshall
so the lines

Kessel,____________, Lupal
Kulimon, Grabo, Mac
Brent, Bozak, Brown
Sjostrom, Boyce, Upshall

Sluck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 03:06 PM
Flowseidon
Compton

Cal ****in' Clutterbuck

Flowseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 03:14 PM
DrkSideOfDaMoon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluck13 View Post
I don't think it needs much work with a new center Bozak goes down to the third with Brown and Brent then the last line can be sjostrom, boyse, and upshall
so the lines

Kessel,____________, Lupal
Kulimon, Grabo, Mac
Brent, Bozak, Brown
Sjostrom, Boyce, Upshall
That looks brutal. How does this look?

Lupul- ______-Kessel
Kulemin- Grabovski- MacArthur
Kadri- Bozak- Armstrong
Brown-Boyce- Orr/ Crabb

Sorry. But if we want to make the playoffs. Guys like Sjostrom and brent will not cut it lol

DrkSideOfDaMoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 03:20 PM
KlattNazty

Maybe Upshall but that would be it in my eyes, as far as expensive investments to the bottom 6 go.

We have 3 legit bottom 6 prospects that could easily thrive there in the not so distant future.

Kamorov could probably play on our fourth line right now. He can play all 3 forward positions.Great 4th line pest, super speedy, tough and excels at putting people off their games. Has a guaranteed spot on the finnish roster.

Kenny Ryan in the somewhat near future. He can play all 3 forward positions. He is a big body, consistent as they come, and is an absolute hound along the boards. He is a consistent fore checker and is putting up some points as well.

Brad Ross is probably a little bit further behind Ryan in development especially in the weight area. But he is being compared to Tucker and that is a great thing for our bottom 6.

Ideally I would like our bottom 6 to look like this by the time we come to contend:

Ross - Bozak - Armstrong
Kamorov - Ryan - Brown

And thats probably interchangeable, especially if Bozak does not do well with the club next year. Otherwise I assume he will be a good 3c.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 03:21 PM
Edgeworth*

Laich - As I'm sure it's been suggested, he would just be way too costly and a waste of his talents imo to throw him on the third line. He's too good to be purchased for ~3.5-4.5M caphit and left to rot with 15 minutes a game

Handzus - A big bodied center is great but not what we need, again this is where Burke's age limit will be waved around and I'll agree, the team is playing better with less players over Dion's age. Just seems counterproductive to throw oldies in who are more seasoned then our captain when he JUST got to the team and JUST became a captain. If that makes sense?

LaRose - A lot of people in Carolina seem to think he is an all-heart guy playing above his capacity, like Darryl Boyce with less skill he's a 4th liner in reality. No thanks.

Upshall - Makes the most sense, friends with Lupul from time in Philadelphia and he's a tenacious attacker who can put the puck in the net. Everything we need to make a fast, aggressive, two-way third line, albeit probably a little undersized for Burke's tastes. Upshall - Bozak - Armstrong

Glencross - Outside of Upshall he's my choice, he's incredibly aggressive, uses his body well, will cost about the same as Upshall, better sense for the puck, ideally a second liner that can still do well in the third line position and young enough to warrant Burke selecting him and chasing him. Goals, grit and size tacked on with a good two-way game make him a big target.

Ryder - Overpaid, played on the Habs so he might do better here? He's inconsistent and in Boston he took a real back seat despite adding some good goals and his playoff record is good, might happen if no one else is willing to pay ~3M for him.

Ideal line-ups

Kulemin - Grabovski - MacArthur
Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
Ryder/Upshall/Glencross - Bozak - Armstrong
Boyce/Crabb - Brent - Brown/Rosehill

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote