HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I hope that Sather is not...

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2005, 07:49 PM
pld459666

vCash: 500
I hope that Sather is not...

not taking advantage of this great opportunity because he and the rest of the brain trust at MSG are assumming that next years crop of UFA's will be available and willing to play in NY.

I mean, let's be real here, do we honestly believe that Vinny will be available? How about Chara? Or Hossa?

Martin St. Louis my be available, but at his size and expected age I don't think that I'd want him in NY.

I really don't know what to say. Here we have a great opportunity to add to the team WITHOUT deducting from the prospect pool and we go out and sign a few players that will make absolutely no impact.

Yes we wanted a rebuilding team, but if you asked me if I could have some of the players that have been signing elsewhere WHILE we rebuild I couldn't have answered yes quick enough.

At this point I believe that Sather and Co, are making a HUGH mistake not nailing done at least 1 big name player.

Personally the way I'm looking at this, might as well look to move Jagr because he's not going to be a happy camper playing here and we have all seen what an unhappy Jagr looks like on the ice.

I feel left out from all the fun

Old
08-03-2005, 07:56 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Agreed

I totally agree with you.

How do you know all these YOUNG players next year will be available. I highly doubt they make it to UFA status in the 06 offseason.

Old
08-03-2005, 07:58 PM
Balej20*

I dont think the rangers are solely banking on the chance of all these young FA's to be available. They are truely trying to build from within, and down the road, if they wanna sign a big name FA or two, they can do that.

Old
08-03-2005, 08:00 PM
GraveyTrain09

The only reason i am replying is because it hurts me to read your post.
you say you want to rebuild when obviously you dont understand the term...bringing in 30 year olds who are past there prime for long term contracts is not rebuilding...bringing in older vets who can lead and help the youngsters grow up is what we need.

Let alone the fact that our team is not trying to be a playoff contender is why we arnt getting anyone...we have made offers but no one is coming because they want to win the cup not rebuild. if jagr wants to leave then its awesome, at 4 mill we can get rid of him easily at the trade deadline, if he wants to stay then thats awesome.

Why do you feel left out, even though we arent signing big name guys, we are taking productive steps to creating a team that the rangers want, which is not a team filled with over the hill individuals but a team who is built from the ranger core.

This is very exciting to me, i have waited so long to rebuild and it seems that we are doing it

I also am over whelmingly happy that the rangers are making an offer and sticking to it, not giving in to a player and paying them millions over what they should get(holik).

Be excited.......this is a new day in ranger history

this is to pld

Old
08-03-2005, 08:11 PM
pld459666

Gravy

I'm not looking to load up on 3-5 superstar players, and I fully realize that what Sather is trying to do (Yet his history prior to joining the Rangers tells me he can't do it) and for that I'm kind of excited, but here we have an opportunity to surround the players that earn thewir way onto the roster with quality NHL'ers and not the dregs that we have been signing.

Straka is a bum, he has been for a few years now. Do you really expect that he is going to be a healthy addition to the line-up?

Marek Malik is a decent defenceman, but Driver-esque with the poke-check and Poti-esque physically.

Rucinsky is a player that I like and one that likes being a Rangers and for that I will never bash him, He'd played well and will be a helpful addition to this team.

Weeks was needed plain and simple.

Since the last 7 years has been spent shooting for the moon we have no real top end prospects that are going to step in and grow into what we could have had on the open market. We have helpful players, not players that can helpthemselves and that's where I think you and I differ in our views.

I don't see a prospect amongst our forwards that I believe can lead this team. I just think that Sather has shown that he is and has been in way over his head in NY. It happens to players it can happen to GM's as well.

just my opinion

Old
08-03-2005, 08:22 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
They obviously want to tank this season for a lottery pick and I am FINALLY GLAD THEY ARE DOING THIS.

PHIL KESSEL HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somehow I'm starting to believe that you really can't rebuild in NY based on the responses of a lot of people who must have not learned the lessons of the past 7 years.

Old
08-03-2005, 08:44 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Sure not every potential UFA will be avalible next season, but it's also kinda far fetched to believe that none will be avalible either. For the few big name, big talent, 29 year olds that'll be out there, the Rangers will be right in the hunt and could possibly offer more money that'll get a deal done as oppose to a number of teams that are spending it up today.

Old
08-04-2005, 08:02 AM
pld459666

I guess from some of the replys

that we have different opinions of rebuilding and more importantly differing opinions of the prospects that we currently have.

I personally don't see the benefit of having a team dominated by youth. I don't think is serves them as well as some others think it will.

I also don't see the benefit is signing a declining Straka to a 1 year deal for a whopping 3 million, when you could have had a better player in Stillman for 2.5 (he signed for less on a team not much better than the Rangers)

I would have preferred to go the same route that Florida when and slightly overpay for both Roberts and Newy simply because thay are both true professionals and would do a 1000% better job at helping the developement of our youth along than Malik, Straka and Rucinsky can combined.

Maybe they chose Florida over the Rangers, that could very well be the case, but WHY? Because while they have svcked over the last few years they have been able to gather top end prospects that will provide them a better chance at winning than the Rangers have during the same period of svcking.

Sather seems to be a step behind the NHL in every facet.

He didn't want to trap when it was the smart thing to do, he finally gives in and the league changes the rules to open the game up.

He didn't rebuild when he should have and now that he has an unprecedented opportunity to add QUALITY talent to the at at best thin group of prospects he signs players from scrapheaps.

During a period in which he had no budget constraints he spent foolishly and now with a budget = to that of every other team he continues to spend foolishly.

Vinny, Marleau, Thornton will all be resigned by their current teams to long term deals prior to the end of the season, which of the younger generation potential UFA's are going to be available and willing to play for the Rangers.

I could see one of Chara or Redden available, but I also see alot of teams not spending this summer and think that there's going to be more desirable places to hang your hat as well.

I just view this as Sather making another hugh mistake in a long line of them.

Old
08-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Onion Boy

I doubt Thornton is resigned by Boston long-term. They will probably deal him to a team that will sign him to a long-term contract.

Marleau may be re-signed by SJ long-term, but it's no guarantee.

Lecavalier has a very good chance of hitting the UFA market.

Old
08-04-2005, 08:21 AM
pld459666

with all the money

that Boston has and the fact that they lost out on the Modano thing is leading me to believe he's going to get his money.

Additionally I don't see a scenario in which TB allows a franchise player like Vinny to leave without compensation. If they can't sign him longterm, then they will trade him. Do we have the parts to complete a deal for a player of Vinny's ilk? Do we want to make that kind of deal and further deplete the prospect pool?

I just think that hoping that tomorrow is a brighter day is a very very bad way to manage a team when the sun is shining today.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:58 AM
natureboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm
They obviously want to tank this season for a lottery pick and I am FINALLY GLAD THEY ARE DOING THIS.

PHIL KESSEL HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somehow I'm starting to believe that you really can't rebuild in NY based on the responses of a lot of people who must have not learned the lessons of the past 7 years.
I think you can rebuild, but after seven years its frustrating and the biggest reason is Sather is running the ship. Be honest do you have any faith that the last two drafts will be good knowing sather is running the show (unless he iwas fishing or golfing)

Old
08-04-2005, 10:13 AM
DarthSather99

Well, from reading scouting reports from independent sources...the last three drafts we did get excellent players. Jessiman, Baranka, Montoya, Korpikoski and Staal should definetly make the NHL. Tytuin and Lundqvist will be NHL players. KESSEL will be a definite STAR.

I disagree that we are banking on NEXT YEAR's possible free agents. This year is about finding out which players are NHL material. The shuttle between Hartford and NYC will be a busy one. Next year is too far away for anyone to guess what will happen.

I know this for a fact. The teams that are loaded talent wise will not be able to keep them. Tampa Bay and Ottawa come to mind. Only a few players can ge tthe max., the rest will have to get it from a different team.

Free agents will never come here until we have a core of good young players. Supposedly Forsberg, Aucoin and Scatchard took less money to go elsewhere. They went to Chicago, Philadelphia and Boston who have an assortment of good young players.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
If we build the core, free agents will come to fill it out. You have to remember, we started this whole mess with exactly 4 established NHL players on the roster after buyouts and qualifiers. If I was Forsberg, I wouldn't want to come into this situation either. He's in a position to demand good money from teams that have good support players already in place, like Philly. When these guys that we have get experienced and established, it will be much easier to pull in those free agents.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Shadowtron

"Be excited.......this is a new day in ranger history"

Sorry, missing the playoffs, terrible signings and poor drafting is far from exciting and hardly a 'new' trend in the glorious history of the New York Rangers.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:46 AM
uccman39

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy
I think you can rebuild, but after seven years its frustrating and the biggest reason is Sather is running the ship. Be honest do you have any faith that the last two drafts will be good knowing sather is running the show (unless he iwas fishing or golfing)
I am still mad that this guy was fishing on the day of the lottery...he obviously cares nothing about this team and it shows in the product that has been on the ice during his tenure

Old
08-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Fletch

Pld...

I too agree that a rebuild doesn't consists of five kids running around the ice looking lost, but I think not signing the big ticket UFAs at this point is the way the Rangers need to go in this rebuild. In the next year to three years, there will be younger UFAs (under 30 year olds) coming to the market. While I won't bank on Joe T or Vinnie L (although if cards are played properly, the Rangers may be in a position to offer a decent amount), but there will be others that may come available and while we believe the Rangers will not be competitive this season overall, one might as well keep the slate somewhat clean and see some of these prospects grow and determine what's really needed. The team does have a vet in goal. There are a couple vets on defense. And with Jagr, Straka, Nylander and Rucinsky, there are some guys up front who can provide veteran leadership and help get through some games. This is the correct route to take, I believe.

Closed Thread