HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Why are Flyers fans so quiet?

Old
04-01-2011, 08:48 AM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Why are Flyers fans so quiet?

For some reason the once scary Flyer fans have turned into mutes. This season, one announcer after another has commented on how quiet the crowd is and as much as it's annoying to hear that, it's true. Philabright said the same thing on twitter last night and said there is no buzz both in the WFC and the city. The team has a better record on the road than at home; can the lack of fan support be part of it?

People always laugh at Toronto crowds for being too corporate and reserved but the Go Leafs Go chant starts early. The crowd in Montreal is always loud right from the start. The Flyers came off such a great run and have been leading the conference pretty much all season and you'd think that would get the fans yelling, but are they bored? Taking the team for granted? Too corporate? What do you guys think?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 08:56 AM
kungpao

Send a message via MSN to kungpao
To me, fan reaction/action depends on how the team is playing in front of them. 20 minutes of playing = 40 minutes of fan boredom/frustration.

How can you cheer your team on when the team you're cheering for doesn't give consistent effort?

No jump, no excitement, lackluster, no "jam": Description of the team's current play or the fan's current state of mind?

kungpao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 08:57 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
For some reason the once scary Flyer fans have turned into mutes. This season, one announcer after another has commented on how quiet the crowd is and as much as it's annoying to hear that, it's true. Philabright said the same thing on twitter last night and said there is no buzz both in the WFC and the city. The team has a better record on the road than at home; can the lack of fan support be part of it?

People always laugh at Toronto crowds for being too corporate and reserved but the Go Leafs Go chant starts early. The crowd in Montreal is always loud right from the start. The Flyers came off such a great run and have been leading the conference pretty much all season and you'd think that would get the fans yelling, but are they bored? Taking the team for granted? Too corporate? What do you guys think?
Baseball Season. Eagles coming soon. Flyers are even rumored to take a back seat to the 76ers during playoffs too.

And this slump after leading the race for the presidential... well, that's not making it easier. Philadelphia fans want to win. Not coast. Kill kill kill!

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 08:58 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Flyers fans react to how the team is playing, they don't just cheer like a bunch of mindless drones.... they feel how the game is going.

Caps fans just like to be loud constantly to be loud.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:11 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Flyers fans react to how the team is playing, they don't just cheer like a bunch of mindless drones.... they feel how the game is going.

Caps fans just like to be loud constantly to be loud.
This.

The team is frustrating as hell right now. I'm sure the fans in attendance are just voicing that (or not voicing that as the case may be).

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:19 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
This.

The team is frustrating as hell right now. I'm sure the fans in attendance are just voicing that (or not voicing that as the case may be).
But this has been going on all season, and they were winning early on. I could understand it if it was recent.

Old
04-01-2011, 09:26 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
But this has been going on all season, and they were winning early on. I could understand it if it was recent.
It hasn't seemed overly quiet to me in the 7 or so games I've made this year.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:32 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

because the games have been boring

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:46 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

So, a few announcers say the Flyers fans are quiet during a few games and that translates to Flyers fans being quite all year?

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Cartsiephan*

You are all wrong. The fans have been outpriced to go to games. Most people at games do not know the game or interact, more involved playing with their i-phones or being seen. Season ticket holders will sell their tickets to recoup the costs to have the tickets for the playoffs. It is the Cartsie-Richie penonomen.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Terence Peterman

They're clearly holding their collective breath whilst waiting for Richie to pass more.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:54 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Maybe losing 7 or their last 8 games at home has something to do with it...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:01 AM
MrHockey1982

I personally think that it has a lot to do with the fact that the Flyers are playing differently under Lavy than how they have in the past. Gone is the overly aggressive hitting and fighting Flyers and in are the new skilled and winning Flyers. Even though we have a great team I have to say that the games aren't nearly as entertaining this year. Kind of weird if you think about it.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:02 AM
PhillyFlying

the flyers crowd usually takes until march-april to really get fired up. the way they've been playing lately isn't helping that. also, cartsiephan brings up an excellent point; the lower-bowl is almost entirely phillies fans that thought a flyers game would be a neat one-time expense. come april 13th it'll be the loudest building in hockey

PhillyFlying is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:03 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
So, a few announcers say the Flyers fans are quiet during a few games and that translates to Flyers fans being quite all year?
It's been happening all year. The announcers have said it more often lately but many times throughout the year there have been comments made. Last night Evander Kane said playing in Philly is fun. It should never be fun for visiting teams to come to Philly.

Old
04-01-2011, 10:17 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Maybe they should shut down the Pavillion etc and get the drunk fans to sit in their seats or beat up all the corporate parasites with their iPhones checking on their stocks via their apps and discussing insider trading deals or tax loopholes...

Old
04-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
the flyers crowd usually takes until march-april to really get fired up. the way they've been playing lately isn't helping that. also, cartsiephan brings up an excellent point; the lower-bowl is almost entirely phillies fans that thought a flyers game would be a neat one-time expense. come april 13th it'll be the loudest building in hockey
Absolutely. There are some in this generation of Flyers fans who really aren't as smart about the game as those before them. I see them look at me when I applaud a clear on a first-period PK. Then they notice there were some others who applaued as well. They just don't understand. But when "Make Some Noise" is on the jumbotrons, they are all over that. Maybe if the Flyers just put that up 20 times a game, all would be fine for the newbies.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:24 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
Absolutely. There are some in this generation of Flyers fans who really aren't as smart about the game as those before them. I see them look at me when I applaud a clear on a first-period PK. Then they notice there were some others who applaued as well. They just don't understand. But when "Make Some Noise" is on the jumbotrons, they are all over that. Maybe if the Flyers just put that up 20 times a game, all would be fine for the newbies.
I think you are on to something....seems younger people need to be prompted these days to think.... otherwise they are catatonic. Everybody likes to be entertained CONSTANTLY (smartphones don't help!). Moments of silence and reflection mean something is wrong...

Anyway. gross exaggeration but I do recall seeing an article about all the cognitive dissonance with other entertainment in arenas that takes away from people watching the actual game......

Old
04-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
They're clearly holding their collective breath whilst waiting for Richie to pass more.
The most obvious phenomenon is the "SHOOOOOOT" that you hear throughout the crowd. But the most disturbing is the "lets go flyers" chant. No one has a clue how to get it right.

Old
04-01-2011, 10:31 AM
PhillyFlying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
The most obvious phenomenon is the "SHOOOOOOT" that you hear throughout the crowd. But the most disturbing is the "lets go flyers" chant. No one has a clue how to get it right.
i can't stand the bombarding calls to shoot during flyers powerplays. it's no wonder they're so much better on the road than they are at home. and i agree. i'm sick of hearing the "let's go rangers" chant at flyers games with "flyers" cleverly affixed over "rangers." get it right people.

PhillyFlying is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
I personally think that it has a lot to do with the fact that the Flyers are playing differently under Lavy than how they have in the past. Gone is the overly aggressive hitting and fighting Flyers and in are the new skilled and winning Flyers. Even though we have a great team I have to say that the games aren't nearly as entertaining this year. Kind of weird if you think about it.
That is a huge piece to the game. When the team does not play with any emotion, the crowd doesn't have any as well.

Went to a Bruins/Flyers game a couple years back and before the game really even got going there were two fights, the most energy the building had all night was during those fights. As much as people say fighting does not belong, I really think it is an integral part of the fan experience.

Old
04-01-2011, 10:42 AM
galvo

I'm usually quiet because I'm watching what is going on, carefully.

galvo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Terence Peterman

I really don't mind people yelling shoot. When you can actually hear it on TV, the team generally does need to really ****ing shoot the puck.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:51 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
I'm usually quiet because I'm watching what is going on, carefully.
This is true...I'm similar although in the playoffs not as much....watching too carefully and holding things in aggravates my IBS....

Old
04-01-2011, 10:57 AM
RU Flyerfan

I think it's the fact that many fans are being priced out, so businessmen and the like are taking their clients and partners to the game to discuss business, instead of watching the game and being interactive. It's actually very annoying and noticeable.

RU Flyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote