HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why are Flyers fans so quiet?

Old
04-01-2011, 12:00 PM
flountown

vCash: 500
Have we really run out of other things to nitpick that we are talking about fan noise level?

The last few games have been lackluster, no doubt about it, but when the time comes it will all be fine. I am sure there will be some fireworks at the Rangers game.

flountown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 12:03 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Games have been boring recently. We aren't a bunch of mindless drones just yelling the entire game. We cheer and yell when exciting things happen or when we feel a certain way (like a bad call). I'd rather be an intelligent crowd then a bunch of know-nothing loud fans.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 12:19 PM
duffy9748

I was at the Washington game last week and it was pretty loud throughout the game. It's hard to get so excited when we havn't had that many big games in this past stretch. Along with Montreal, Philadelphia is the toughest place to play a playoff game. Our record in the playoffs at home the past few years in the post seasons is very good. 9-2 off the top of my head from last year.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 12:31 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
I'm usually quiet because I'm watching what is going on, carefully.
I'm the same way but if I see a good shift I'll applaud. I don't like all the arena noise with the loud music etc. but the players last year in the playoffs commented on how much the crowd spurred them on. Cheering good things isn't mindless noise, it shows appreciation for things not necessarily seen on the scoreboard.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
Absolutely. There are some in this generation of Flyers fans who really aren't as smart about the game as those before them. I see them look at me when I applaud a clear on a first-period PK. Then they notice there were some others who applaued as well. They just don't understand. But when "Make Some Noise" is on the jumbotrons, they are all over that. Maybe if the Flyers just put that up 20 times a game, all would be fine for the newbies.
It is frustrating to sit around people who just have no clue but yet expect you to follow their lead. Most fans now need a cue to figure out what to do. The noise meters, and the music blaring loses a lot of the fan participation.

During the mid-80's, specifically the 1987 season, there was a guy who used to go around the arena in Flyers boxers and a Tim Kerr jersey with a trumpet. He would start the proper "lets go flyers" chants. A lot of folks sit around these days just waiting to be told what to do, and not really knowing how to follow the game.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 12:42 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
I'm usually quiet because I'm watching what is going on, carefully.
I'm a nervous wreck at games, knee shaking rocking back & forth. I cheer when a goal is scored out of relief. Only time I yell not after a goal is at the refs for missing obvious calls.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 12:57 PM
facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
because the games have been boring
last night was a brutal game to watch. I get Centre ice and last night along with the game against boston the announcers commented on the lack of crowd noise in the games. But I do agree, very knowledgeable fans, the effort and intensity put forth recently is a key factor. In Philly it is simple hardwork = noise.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 01:05 PM
phillyfanatic

Home Ice is only an advantage if the team can draw energy from the crowd. They can only draw energy from the crowd if the crowd is into the game(how else is Montreal in the playoffs, they S-U-C-K). The Flyers "used" to be a team that would start out hitting everything, a fight, etc to get the "average fan" into the game. They have not been hitting and fighting/playing hard and fast for a long time.

Once the playoffs start the games are easy to get into as they "mean something". In the regular season, most games are just "another game", the players play them that way and the fans cheer for them that way.

Playoffs=different story.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

If the team stops sucking at home, there will be more noise.

Also, playoffs start soon. I expect that will up the intensity.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 01:24 PM
BWAVgal
If we burn, you burn

vCash: 50
We're obviously waiting for the playoffs to start, just like the players.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 02:18 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Flyerfan View Post
I think it's the fact that many fans are being priced out, so businessmen and the like are taking their clients and partners to the game to discuss business, instead of watching the game and being interactive. It's actually very annoying and noticeable.
I actually agree with this ! I took my wife and daughter up for a game from here in Florida in January and it was my wife's first Flyer's game, and she totally expecting something else after hearing about the Flyers for 25 years of being married to me.....I told her it was a lot better in the mid 1970s when the bullies played... LOL Seems the elitist liberals make up much of the crowd these days in many sports.It is a beautiful arena though !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Teezax

Seems the crowd is reflecting their team, very passive. It's the calm before the storm hopefully. Once they start getting their free orange tshirts for playoff time, things will change methinks.

Teezax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 05:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

People are complaining less, and we're not playing playoff games in March.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 06:47 PM
hextall shoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
It is frustrating to sit around people who just have no clue but yet expect you to follow their lead. Most fans now need a cue to figure out what to do. The noise meters, and the music blaring loses a lot of the fan participation.

During the mid-80's, specifically the 1987 season, there was a guy who used to go around the arena in Flyers boxers and a Tim Kerr jersey with a trumpet. He would start the proper "lets go flyers" chants. A lot of folks sit around these days just waiting to be told what to do, and not really knowing how to follow the game.
Was that beerman Joe?

hextall shoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

When I went to the Flyers vs Sabres game this past March it was very loud (until they blew the lead).

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:48 PM

Give the fans something to cheer about and they'll cheer. The past 1/3 of the season has been bottom-5 stuff.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Flyerfan View Post
I think it's the fact that many fans are being priced out, so businessmen and the like are taking their clients and partners to the game to discuss business, instead of watching the game and being interactive. It's actually very annoying and noticeable.
Nailed it.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Orange Crush 89

I can't speak for 19,000 people, but I can speak for myself. I hear the quiet. I'm quiet. I don't know why everyone else is, but I know why I am. I'm sick of the team. The Flyers aren't a franchise where just making the playoffs is good fun, it's not. They SHOULD be there, every year, it's just the attitude this organization has created. As a fan of nearly 20 years, I've seen them get to the Cup Final two times and lose and enough is enough. To me, this team, right now, is put the **** up, or shut the **** up. Fans don't PAY for tickets to inspire millionaire athletes, they pay to be entertained and be given a reason to cheer. You shouldn't need me or 19,000 other people to chant "Let's go Flyers" to get your sorry ***** to skate, but when you start showing heart and look like you actually give a ****, then I will make some noise. Something tells me everyone else will. But wait until game 1 of the playoffs, the crowd will be like night and day because that's when the real fun begins. The regular season is the long car ride to the dance, the playoffs are when you bust a move.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:15 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards18 View Post
When I went to the Flyers vs Sabres game this past March it was very loud (until they blew the lead).
You can get more kids to those afternoon games though.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 03:52 AM
xifentoozlerix

The fans don't necessarily have to be reacting to the team; that road can go either way. Anyway, I think it is a combination on nagging injuries, lack of energy in the building necessary to get the adrenaline pumping, and playing against teams who are already playing as if every game is their last one which has contributed to the outcome of the past few weeks. It is likely that the players, on some level, are simply trying to get to the playoffs because they know that that is when the crowd will be there to provide the spark they need to battle throughout the 60+ minutes of the game.

The loud, energetic fans are mostly concerned about what will happen in April and thus the building has a crowd that is waiting for the playoff Flyers to show up...if not now, it better be soon. The players might be waiting for the playoff crowds, though.

What will come first?

xifentoozlerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 05:57 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

There are 41 regular season home games. The real fans don't have the money to make it to all of them, so they hit a couple key games and then wait for the playoffs. The playoffs bring a much higher concentration of fans who care, plus the games mean more = more noise.

How many diehard Flyers fans would pick out Atlanta as a game they were gonna go to?

And once the season got underway, NJ didn't look like that hot of a choice either.

I'm 26, back in school and working at a restaurant to pay the bills. I forked over a pretty penny for seats on the glass vs. the Rangers earlier this year, and then hit two other games. Haven't been to any games in 2011 because I'm saving my dough for the playoffs.

EDIT: Correction, I did go to the Phoenix game a couple months ago.

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 10:02 AM
hextall shoots

I expect todays game not to be so quiet!! Im sure there will be a couple good chants that can be heard over national TV

hextall shoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 10:35 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards18 View Post
The Buffalo fan section on the upper level was louder than all the Flyers fans in the building on that day

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

Flyers fan dont care about the regular season...they will get loud once they are in the playoffs.

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 01:12 PM
RU Flyerfan

Fans are making themselves heard today. Really good support for a Sunday afternoon.

RU Flyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote