HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brayden Schenn fake Facebook page causing an uproar

Old
04-01-2011, 12:06 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Police investigation. Really? There is nothing illegal about impersonating somebody on the internet. There isn't even anything in FB's user agreement.
I assume there is something illegal about racist comments. In Canada comments deemed derogatory towards aboriginal peoples isn't favored well.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 12:09 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I assume there is something illegal about racist comments. In Canada comments deemed derogatory towards aboriginal peoples isn't favored well.
Illegal? Does Canada not have freedom of speech? (honest question, don't know much about their laws).

In poor taste? Absolutely. But racist COMMENTS being illegal? At what point do we outlaw thinking unfavorable thoughts?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 12:10 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

There's a difference between freedom of speech and racism.

Old
04-01-2011, 12:20 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Comments = speech.

Freedom of speech means people are free to say things you don't like. There are exceptions, such as "calling fire in a crowded theater" and threats of physical harm. This constitutes neither of those exceptions.

So I'm not allowed to say (making up examples now, not expressing personal thoughts) that "black people are stupid and should go back to africa" or that "mexicans are lazy and should go back to mexico?" Those things would be nasty to say, and not make anyone many friends, but they are not threats and most distinctly fall under freedom of speech, racist or not, that has nothing to do with it.

A police investigation into someone slandering Schenn by posing as him is one thing and I think warranted as it is a specific malicious intent, but investigating the comments themselves as illegal is another and one I think is stupid and a sign of how ridiculously oversensitive people are.

Ever since the modern lawsuit, people think anything they don't like should be against the law.

Old
04-01-2011, 12:23 PM
DeeMeck

Actually, California is the only state where it IS illegal to impersonate someone on the internet.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 12:26 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Actually, California is the only state where it IS illegal to impersonate someone on the internet.
As it should be. Its equivalent to libel.

Old
04-01-2011, 12:57 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipfan View Post
There are laws about hate speech though and the impersonator made a number of slurs.
There isn't much to go on here. First, hate speech is subject to personal opinion. Second, the way they built facebook it's legaly the same as talking to your friends inside your own home.

I feel bad for Brayden and I don't appreciate the message the impersonator is pushing, but I hate seeing the law get involved in things like this.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 01:00 PM
no name

Quote:
Facebook is a close ended program. Facebook went out of their way to avoid law suits.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 01:17 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Facebook is a close ended program. Facebook went out of their way to avoid law suits.
Facebook may not be subject to a lawsuit.

But it is now a misdemeanor in California for a user to impersonate someone online and facebook is included.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 04:40 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Comments = speech.

Freedom of speech means people are free to say things you don't like. There are exceptions, such as "calling fire in a crowded theater" and threats of physical harm. This constitutes neither of those exceptions.

So I'm not allowed to say (making up examples now, not expressing personal thoughts) that "black people are stupid and should go back to africa" or that "mexicans are lazy and should go back to mexico?" Those things would be nasty to say, and not make anyone many friends, but they are not threats and most distinctly fall under freedom of speech, racist or not, that has nothing to do with it.

A police investigation into someone slandering Schenn by posing as him is one thing and I think warranted as it is a specific malicious intent, but investigating the comments themselves as illegal is another and one I think is stupid and a sign of how ridiculously oversensitive people are.

Ever since the modern lawsuit, people think anything they don't like should be against the law.
I'm speaking without seeing the actual comments posted on fake Schenn Facebook, but I was under the understanding those comments were more nasty than that and may even have involved threats that would also be deemed racist. Something along the lines of "kill Indians" (not a presonal thought/belief of mine either, just stating for example).

Raced based threats is racism still, and under that example charges may be applicable not just on the threat, but also as a hate crime. IE criminal.

Old
04-01-2011, 04:41 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
As it should be. Its equivalent to libel.
Agreed. Impersonation should be criminal.

Old
04-01-2011, 04:43 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
There isn't much to go on here. First, hate speech is subject to personal opinion. Second, the way they built facebook it's legaly the same as talking to your friends inside your own home.

I feel bad for Brayden and I don't appreciate the message the impersonator is pushing, but I hate seeing the law get involved in things like this.
I think the offending person/people should be found and told to remove the page, and leave it at that.

If they refused for whatever reason, I think the law should get involved. I work in the media and am all for freedom of speech and for keeping the law out of life issues, but there should be a way to force the issue if need be. If there was only one thing in the world we were allowed to keep for ourselves exclusively, it should be our name/image.

Old
04-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Actually there isn't. Just look at the matters that happened recently with that UCLA student and her youtube comments about Asians on the campus. She later withdrew from the school due to death threats, but the school and lawyers all, while obviously not agreeing with the comments, backed the video as being free speech. She just makes derogatory statements, but doesn't threaten anyone's lives. That falls under free speech.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Illegal? Does Canada not have freedom of speech? (honest question, don't know much about their laws).

In poor taste? Absolutely. But racist COMMENTS being illegal? At what point do we outlaw thinking unfavorable thoughts?
To answer your question, yes, there are laws in Canada against "hate speech". I don't know the extent of them but I know they are ultra-PC up there. They just banned the song "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits after it has been played on the radio for 25 years because he says a word that starts with an "f" and rhymes with maggot in the song a few times. But in the song when he says it, he is saying in the 3rd person as if somebody is saying it about him. They completely took it out of context. But that should give you an idea about how PC they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_in_Canada

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 05:11 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
To answer your question, yes, there are laws in Canada against "hate speech". I don't know the extent of them but I know they are ultra-PC up there. They just banned the song "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits after it has been played on the radio for 25 years because he says a word that starts with an "f" and rhymes with maggot in the song a few times. But in the song when he says it, he is saying in the 3rd person as if somebody is saying it about him. They completely took it out of context. But that should give you an idea about how PC they are.

Yeesh. I always knew I didn't like Canadians but now I know why. (kind of)

Old
04-01-2011, 06:53 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Good thing I'm in Colorado.

For the record, I'm not really Ron Swanson. Just in case some of the gullible people mentioned earlier in this thread happen to read this.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 07:22 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Good thing I'm in Colorado.

For the record, I'm not really Ron Swanson. Just in case some of the gullible people mentioned earlier in this thread happen to read this.
I never thought you were. Ron Swanson's mustache is visible when the real Ron Swanson types his name.

Old
04-01-2011, 09:01 PM
winning

It's not surprising that someone with the mentality to threaten someones life would be tricked by a fake Facebook page.

Tracking someone's email address can become easier if one can somehow get the individual to send an email - say in reply to an email one sends them.

Hmmm, as smitten with Hockey and seemingly PC speech as the Canadians are they should make a law prohibiting trolling in hockey forums.

winning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 01:24 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Actually there isn't. Just look at the matters that happened recently with that UCLA student and her youtube comments about Asians on the campus. She later withdrew from the school due to death threats, but the school and lawyers all, while obviously not agreeing with the comments, backed the video as being free speech. She just makes derogatory statements, but doesn't threaten anyone's lives. That falls under free speech.
I'd check the Canadian laws. Big difference. I don't have the time (or energy) to look it up, but from what I've seen in the media, this is something that would be a legal issue up here.

Old
04-02-2011, 01:26 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by winning View Post
Hmmm, as smitten with Hockey and seemingly PC speech as the Canadians are they should make a law prohibiting trolling in hockey forums.
Something tells me if they wanted to do so, getting signatures from this message board wouldn't be hard.

Old
04-02-2011, 01:40 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:

If by "they" you're referring to literally one person in Canada who complained to the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council, you're right. However, the CBSC is a non-government entity and thus can't "ban" anything. The CRTC- the actual regulatory body "up here"- told the CBSC to go stuff themselves, and at least two stations in Canada played the song for an hour non-stop without penalty.

If we're going to get into a discussion about which country is more PC when it comes to free speech, I'd suggest you look up a fellow named Lenny Bruce and start from there. Oh, and someone named Janet Jackson once did something memorable at the Superbowl- but instead of choosing to fine the bejesus out of every broadcaster in our country, the CRTC received more complaints about the volume of the commercials than they did the wardrobe malfunction!

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Hendrydoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Never said he wouldn't, I simply said people shouldn't and wont feel sorry for him. It comes with being a PRO. You know how many Death Threats Kobe Bryant gets daily ?
I'll guess .000000000001 on average

Hendrydoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Bateman*

Quote:

As a Canadian I can say that for sure there is a PC element up here, but I really don't know if it's any greater than down South where you're not getting ******* on TV. I go to Hawaii, and Washington a lot and really don't notice a difference in political correctness. I don't have many posts on here, but I do have a respectable number of banishments from the Canucks page ... so I'm sure the Mods can attest to Canadians not being any more, or less, politically correct. The only difference is we're just a little better looking up here.

Also, anyone I know thinks that Dire Straits thing was bs.

Last edited by Bateman*: 04-02-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: addition
Bateman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
I'd check the Canadian laws. Big difference. I don't have the time (or energy) to look it up, but from what I've seen in the media, this is something that would be a legal issue up here.
Yeah, didn't realize we were talking about Canada till afterward Mind your manners in Canada.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote