The All-Encompassing Minnesota Pro Sports Thread I

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2011, 06:13 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Re: Twins

A little worried about the lack of depth in the infield and bullpen and the season will be decided by health and moves in July. The AL Central is still a cakewalk but that doesn't help in the postseason.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
03-31-2011, 10:45 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
If I'm honest, as a Twins fan I'm kinda expecting a bit of a down season this season.

I feel with the bat, guys like Morneau, Mauer and Young are going to be consistently good.

Nishioka(sp?) and Span to be decent(.270-.280 BA from both). I'm expecting Thome won't reach the 20 HR plateau again, and Kubel and Cuddy to kinda bust.

I HATE our OF defense. Especially when you consider we have 2 guys who need a good OF defense for flyballs(Baker and Blackie).

I also dislike our starting pitching outside Liriano. Baker, Blackie and Duensing are #3 pitchers. Pavano is a ? and wouldn't surprise me to see him to either not do as well this year or get injured.

Gibson looks good and should be a good #2 in the future, but he'll need some time to get into rhythm.

I hate to do so, but I'm also really against Billy Smith. The Billy Bullock deal was horrid. A 2nd round pick, 500k to sign, and young relief pitching for Diamond. Are you kidding me? If he has flaws, you don't trade him straight away for a guy like Diamond. He had closer/set up potential. Freaking stupidity. I wouldn't mind if he got fired for someone better.

Not expecting a playoff appearance this year I don't think, but with our Twins, you never know.

Blackburn is a sinkerball pitcher. Which means he SHOULD be getting ground balls. The one I'm worried about is Moon Shot Scott. Although, Target Field is mostly a pitchers park. At any rate, They should move Span to Right and have Revere take over CF, at least in my opinion.

Old
04-01-2011, 09:21 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Revere should never see the outfield on a major league team in my opinion. That arm is just awful. He just doesn't bring enough to the table to have that liability out in deep parts of park. I'm a little surprised he hasn't been tried at second base or something like that. You can hide a poor arm there much more than the outfield.

Anyway, with Benson, Hicks, and possibly Arcia coming down the pike, not to mention the rate at which the Twins have picked toolsy outfielders the last few years, Revere isn't long for the outfield. And probably not the organization in general. I also think it's likely both Cuddyer ad Kubel are gone after this season.

As for the team in general, I hate to think this way but I get that feeling that it's going to be a disappointing year. Much like what the Vikings experienced.

And as for Bill Smith, the guy is one of the worst GMs in the game. He's been absolutely robbed blind on every trade he's made to this point. I'm not real sure how he still has his position to be honest.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
04-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
Blackburn is a sinkerball pitcher. Which means he SHOULD be getting ground balls. The one I'm worried about is Moon Shot Scott. Although, Target Field is mostly a pitchers park. At any rate, They should move Span to Right and have Revere take over CF, at least in my opinion.
Haha the should is important.

Agree on Span though, but disagree on Revere. The guy has no arm. Good range but terrible arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Revere should never see the outfield on a major league team in my opinion. That arm is just awful. He just doesn't bring enough to the table to have that liability out in deep parts of park. I'm a little surprised he hasn't been tried at second base or something like that. You can hide a poor arm there much more than the outfield.

Anyway, with Benson, Hicks, and possibly Arcia coming down the pike, not to mention the rate at which the Twins have picked toolsy outfielders the last few years, Revere isn't long for the outfield. And probably not the organization in general. I also think it's likely both Cuddyer ad Kubel are gone after this season.

As for the team in general, I hate to think this way but I get that feeling that it's going to be a disappointing year. Much like what the Vikings experienced.

And as for Bill Smith, the guy is one of the worst GMs in the game. He's been absolutely robbed blind on every trade he's made to this point. I'm not real sure how he still has his position to be honest.
Like always, we agree.

I'm expecting Pavano not to be as good as last year, and apart from Liriano and maybe Duensing, out pitching should be pretty bad.

What did you think of the Bulllock trade?

04-01-2011, 11:39 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

I agree with you here on a few points. Revere will probably not make an impact on the team, I have a feeling he will be traded sometime during this year for bullpen pitching. Cuddy will stick around because he's one of Gardy's guys, but Kubel will probably be gone.

All I've been doing is reading how the Twins won't win the division this year, we'll experience a down year, etc, etc. I just can't believe that. We play in a weak division where all of the contenders have flaws. The Twins have won the AL Central in 6 out of the last 9 years. They lost it to the Sox in 2005 (the year they won the WS), 2007 to the Indians (Almost went to the WS), and in a 1 game playoff against the Sox in 2008. The Twins will win it this year, there's no doubt in my mind. We have a great lineup and the pitchers will have plenty of runs to work with. The Twins are great at building bullpens.

As for the Smith part, a lot of his trades don't look great at the surface, but he has added players at the deadline for stretch runs that have been great. Last year, Fuentes for Van Mil. Great trade. Pavano for some guy in A ball? Great trade. Bringing in O-Cab to help win this division in 163? Great trade. Smith is infuriating in that the Twins run this team a certain way, but you can't argue with success.

Old
04-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Looks like I'm gonna watch the Twins game tonight.

Old
04-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Looks like I'm gonna watch the Twins game tonight.
Any stream you know of?

Old
04-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Dee Oh Cee

jesus...how can we not execute the rundown play?

Old
04-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
Any stream you know of?
I don't know, watching it on TV.

EDIT: I'm working on it.

EDIT2: http://www.myp2pforum.eu/threads/542...02#post1233402

Old
04-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Dee Oh Cee

DAHGHDAKLGDA;L

Come on Pavano...

Old
04-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
I don't know, watching it on TV.

EDIT: I'm working on it.
Thanks, man. I don't mean to bother you all of the time, hehe. I have the hockey ones saved so I don't have to always bother you...

Old
04-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Wow...

3-0 already...

Old
04-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Seriously WTH?

4-0... I thought the Twins were a good team...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
Thanks, man. I don't mean to bother you all of the time, hehe. I have the hockey ones saved so I don't have to always bother you...
I've updated that post, hope it works.

Old
04-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Dee Oh Cee

terrible first inning.

Old
04-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
terrible first inning.
Indeed.

Old
04-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Seriously WTH?

4-0... I thought the Twins were a good team...

I've updated that post, hope it works.
Thanks for the link! Trying to get programs to get it to work!

Old
04-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Oh Pavs....

Old
04-01-2011, 07:11 PM
melinko

vCash: 2551
Start tanking it, secure #1 pick.

Old
04-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Fel 96
JFC

I think I forgot to mention I'm not a baseball fan.

Still, awful game so far.

Old
04-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinko View Post
Start tanking it, secure #1 pick.
Too early for that.

The worst thing is, we're a top end starter and a competent CF from being a lock to win the central.

Old
04-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Oh man, watching a full baseball game is more boring than watching a full Wild game.

Old
04-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Goal?

Oh, I mean home run...

Old
04-01-2011, 07:48 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Twins will be lucky to come back from this road trip better than 2-5.

Old
04-01-2011, 08:12 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Not even watching and I'm laughing at how pathetic this is.

Old
04-01-2011, 08:43 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i just don't understand the appeal of watching baseball. other than the sedative effects I mean. If you positively absolutely have to nap, turn on a game.
always played baseball in the summer, hockey in the winter, but watching it is nigh impossible.

Closed Thread