HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #78 @ New York Islanders

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #77 @ New York Islanders
Sean Avery 19 24.36%
Ryan Callahan 2 2.56%
Brandon Dubinsky 4 5.13%
Ruslan Fedotenko 3 3.85%
Chad Johnson 4 5.13%
Henrik Lundqvist 4 5.13%
Ryan McDonagh 3 3.85%
Vaclav Prospal 8 10.26%
Michael Sauer 1 1.28%
Marc Staal 1 1.28%
Other 29 37.18%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-01-2011, 03:20 PM
hockeygoon15

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Let me come up with analogy. Players are like an orchestra. Sure there are better and no so good performers out there, but when symphony doesn't sound right it's conductor's fault. It is up to him to balance everything hi/she has got.
Even if team comes out flat, there are certain tools at coach's disposal that could allow him to compensate for individuals.
The fact that we had so many odd man rushes and defensive lapses had little to do with effort. But it had a lot to do with the game plan. Torts decided to run-n-gun against what he perceived to be an inferior team and got burnt. Lack of PP success was because the team was nervous. But that was the reflection of coach's status. All and all it's Torts.
Not going to comment on whether this was all Torts fault or not, but I like that analogy. Does Torts have a history of "stubbornly" sticking to a predetermined game plan or has he shown he can adapt on the fly?

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 03:24 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
The fact that we had so many odd man rushes and defensive lapses had little to do with effort
Yeah...no.

The fact McDonagh just watched Moulson set up camp in the crease and just knock the puck in past Chad (who was pretty bad last night) is not on Torts. Rookie mistake? I'd say yes, but that kind of sloppiness is on the player.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Loffen
Legend

If there was a game you would rest Hank for down the stretch, this was the one. Son of a fu...

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 04:37 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rody View Post
The coach is just a accountable for the team as the players.It IS his job to motivate the team , prepare them. The coach is the one that puts the lines together , says who is on the ice against which lines etc.Puts out the same players on the pp even when they haven't scored , maybe they have stopped responding to his methods.
So you're telling me they waited till game 78 to stop responding to his methods?Yeah, no.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Isles have gone 25-18-7 in their last 50 games. That's well above .500.
I'm still waiting for an explanation for your crazy math.

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
LOL you WERE that poster hahaha. Look i could care less...except maybe to laugh...but you literally challenged someone to a street fight and now you're complaining that other people on the boards were the problem when it was clearly you right in the middle of it. It';s not even about negative vs positive.

Everyone is pissed off, this is a horrific loss, it absolutely sucks. It's a case of trolling and overreaction and in some cases damn near being a fair weather fan vs those of us who actually care about hockey and love our team more than we do the stanley cup. There's no point of someone showing up, when all of us are saying "This sucks what a garbage performance" for some jerk to show up going "Oh where's all the positive people? Hur hur hur!" It's just moronic, it was trolling and of COURSE it wasn't removed and it triggered a huge brawl that you showed up in the middle of and literally tried to turn into a irl street fight.

Everyone SHOULD be pissed at this team but people have a right to believe in the team and hope it does well without getting harassed after every loss.

And you know what the opposite holds true there are plenty of times people will remember an overreaction like "Hank sucks" and when he goes on a tear like recently those people will similarly say "Where's the Hank Sucks now?" In both cases it's crappy though I'd have to say the "Hank sucks" type of posts are really stupid and it's a lot easier for me to side with the people who question that type of post than it is for me to side with people who troll during a horrible loss like this. It's a LOT easier to start crap when people are already pissed b/c of a horrible loss. And the prevalence of negative trolls is greater than positive trolls simply b/.c when stuff is going good people could care less about the moody members of this board.

That was one of the funniest GTD's ever though. I think the Pitt one was pretty good too. Anaheim. I personally think the best are when the team is horrific and still ekes out a win b/c it's complete bipolarness.
For the 100th time, do you even read my posts? I never challenged anyone to a fight, I said someone needs to stop being an internet tough guy and that such nonsense would never be said to my face. I even said that if this team should make the playoffs I would buy him a ticket cause thats how strongly i feel things are not going to turn around. I have followed this team for a long time for the good and the bad, the last few games reek of the bad and people are entitled to their own opinions. I have mine and if you don't like it feel free to just ignore me. If you did read my posts you would notice i discuss HOCKEY and how Torts and this team fails to make any in game adjustments. We had the same problems yesterday as we did when we beat the Isles a few weeks ago. 3 men forechecking and we miss the net, do stupid drop passes and get caught for 3 on 2's or 2 on 1's against a much faster and offensive minded team. Does this team even work on the PP? Certainly doesn't look like and they were missing their best PKer and we still couldn't do anything. The personnel choices are the worst we have seen since Ron Low.

The best way to describe this team is terribly inconsistent from top to bottom. I have never suggested trading hank as without him we are a very very very weak team, however when he is cold, he looks lost at times and gives up softies like they are going out of style. When he is hot he is a beast, and that is the nature of the game. Without Hank we are not a very good team at all, but he is not the real problem. Finding a coach who can motivate these guys nightly and make in game adjustments would be nice. I don't care if we hire an assistant coach to do that, but something is obviously not working.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
what is awful....like ridiculously awful is that I can still hear the islanders goal song in my head still...24 hours later....UGH!!!!!!!

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
what is awful....like ridiculously awful is that I can still hear the islanders goal song in my head still...24 hours later....UGH!!!!!!!
Were you at the game?

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
I'm not the one who said it obviously but if you like it or not being 500 in the NHL is based on points. So if you go 25-25-0 (50 pts in 50 games) that is .500 but if you go 25-18-7 (57 pts in 50 games) it is above .500.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
I'm not the one who said it obviously but if you like it or not being 500 in the NHL is based on points. So if you go 25-25-0 (50 pts in 50 games) that is .500 but if you go 25-18-7 (57 pts in 50 games) it is above .500.
So what you're saying is you can lose every single game of the season 0-0-82 but that team is 500?

Old
04-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
So what you're saying is you can lose every single game of the season 0-0-82 but that team is 500?
yes. its all about math. .500 means, you get 50%, or half of the total points possibly allowed. however you slice it....41-41-0, 0-0-82, 31-31-20, 18-18-46, whatever...its all .500 hockey.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
25-18-7. thats 57 points out of a possible 100 points. thats .570 hockey, well above .500.

Old
04-02-2011, 08:21 AM
chosen

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that that is exactly what it means unless hockey has its own way of determining .500

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 09:42 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Now that we've got the math down, maybe we can mathematically figure out how to put the ****ING PUCK IN THE NET.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Now that we've got the math down, maybe we can mathematically figure out how to put the ****ING PUCK IN THE NET.

I crunched the numbers and couldnt get it to work.

Old
04-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Were you at the game?
no...i live in maine, i'm lucky if i make it to a game every couple of seasons...

I'm sure it was worse live...but just watching it thru a stream and hearing that goal song...ugh...i wanted to rip my ears off

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
25-18-7. thats 57 points out of a possible 100 points. thats .570 hockey, well above .500.
IT'S STILL 25 LOSSES! That is .500 ANYTHING. It's 50% wins. Period. You don't simply call 7 points from OT LOSSES 3.5 wins...and 57% is not WELL above .500.

Old
04-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Hockify

Quote:
IT'S STILL 25 LOSSES! That is .500 ANYTHING. It's 50% wins. Period. You don't simply call 7 points from OT LOSSES 3.5 wins...and 57% is not WELL above .500.
I already said before:

Quote:
if you like it or not being 500 in the NHL is based on points. So if you go 25-25-0 (50 pts in 50 games) that is .500 but if you go 25-18-7 (57 pts in 50 games) it is above .500.
You are one of the ones who don't like it but it's still true.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
I already said before:

You are one of the ones who don't like it but it's still true.
But winning percentage clearly dictates that the equation would be amount of games won/amount of games played. Since an overtime loss is not a win per say, then 40-40-2 would not be considered 500.

Honestly, i think it's a matter of opinion on this one.

Old
04-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
no...i live in maine, i'm lucky if i make it to a game every couple of seasons...

I'm sure it was worse live...but just watching it thru a stream and hearing that goal song...ugh...i wanted to rip my ears off
O man, lucky you weren't there, for more reasons than this one . Their goal horn is super obnoxious. I actually have a theory that since the piles have had so much trouble as a franchise over the past years, whenever they score, the try to punish the opposing fans and team. Either that or their system calibration is cheap as hell.

Old
04-02-2011, 09:58 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:
O man, lucky you weren't there, for more reasons than this one . Their goal horn is super obnoxious. I actually have a theory that since the piles have had so much trouble as a franchise over the past years, whenever they score, the try to punish the opposing fans and team. Either that or their system calibration is cheap as hell.
the on ice product has improved drastically but they are hands down the corniest org in the league bar none. "call me Al" every time montoya makes a save...horrendous. at least the god awful goal song is original and they didnt just bite it off of 8 other teams in the league like last years pennywise bro hymn goal song. on top of that they finally figured out chanting you suck after scoring a goal makes absolutely no sense. They'll win a cup before NYR does but they will always be a white trash, mickey mouse organization.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 02:45 AM
Ola

Quote:
There's NOTHING he could have done to save that team last night, nothing.
Look, coaching is not a one night gig. Torts can not impact the team much on Thursday night,

But quite frankly; it is very obvious that we are having problems on the ice as a team, that you should not have in April. I don't care what Inferno and co say, I think that under no circumstances should a NHL team struggle like we do in the transition game at this point of the season, for example.

That's how I see it, everyone is entitled to have their opinion.

Last edited by Ola: 04-03-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
the on ice product has improved drastically but they are hands down the corniest org in the league bar none. "call me Al" every time montoya makes a save...horrendous. at least the god awful goal song is original and they didnt just bite it off of 8 other teams in the league like last years pennywise bro hymn goal song. on top of that they finally figured out chanting you suck after scoring a goal makes absolutely no sense. They'll win a cup before NYR does but they will always be a white trash, mickey mouse organization.
Completely agree. Honestly it's fairly sad to see that in such a big market. Islanders are and seemingly always will be a second class organization.

Old
04-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
But winning percentage clearly dictates that the equation would be amount of games won/amount of games played. Since an overtime loss is not a win per say, then 40-40-2 would not be considered 500.

Honestly, i think it's a matter of opinion on this one.
...and I would tend to agree with that opinion. An overtime loss IS NOT 1/2 of a win! That is a completely asinine and childish way to try and justify a bad record and poor play into a winning record and good play.