HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mats Zuccarello status (4/18: Sent back down)

Old
04-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
Well this might be good for his development and gain a bit more strength, if he comes back this season cool, if not I'll be excited to see him play next season.

Gilroy could possibly play forward if need be...just saying.

But he sucks at offense too...

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 05:48 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
The whole team just sucks at offense. With 4 games left i'm not sure I agree with this move.
true but if Torts does not intend to use him, this is the best move to make. He'll get tons of minutes in Hartford.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 06:30 PM
haveandare

I don't think this is smart. The team can't score and desperately needs wins in the next few games. Why send down one of the very few creative offensive players? His development should be a priority, sure, but with 4 games left and being in this position the number one priority by a huge margin should be finding a way to win these games. He was bad on the PP yesterday but so was everyone...literally everyone.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 07:19 PM
blupride99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter17 View Post
I personally don't think he will ever amount to much. For small guys like him to stick in the NHL they have to be difference-makers such as Martin St. Louis, Theo Fleury, Brian Gionta, and others. I don't think he is a good enough skater to ever be a guy like that.
correct me if I'm wrong but st louis didn't start to make waves until he was about 26 - 27.... zuc is 23

blupride99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 07:24 PM
satrabyk

O boy big mistake, the guy is too good to have sent down, i dont like this idea at all.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
O boy big mistake, the guy is too good to have sent down, i dont like this idea at all.
have you missed the last ten games?

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 07:38 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
have you missed the last ten games?
No ive missed a few and he did too, ill i kno is the guy got talent and a good attitude. I dont see the logic of having W2 in ahead of him, not for one bit. But hey will see how things go.

Old
04-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
No ive missed a few and he did too, ill i kno is the guy got talent and a good attitude. I dont see the logic of having W2 in ahead of him, not for one bit. But hey will see how things go.
He has talent and a good attitude but he is clearly tired and even admitted that he's not used to playing this many games in a year. He has a promising future but needs to be in the minors at this point.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 08:42 PM
TrueBlueNorwegian

Im one of the Norwegians here who DO understand this move. Thats because I like to think that I maybe understand the process he is going through a little better than some other Norwegian hockey fans who may be new to the NHL and N.A hockey. A lot of them never watched a single game of NHL hockey before he made the move accross the Atlantic.

He lookes fatigued in my eyes. The guy has never played as much hockey as he has this year and I think its a win win for both parties. Go to the AHL, get your confidence back and go home in the summer and train your ass off so you can keep it up throughout a whole season. I think he will use this experience to his advantage. He knows what it takes now, he has a very good head on his shoulders and he will be back playing for the Rangers for sure! Some players take longer to develope and I still have all the faith in the world that Zucc will pan out to be a good NHL'er but he will never tear it up in the NHL like he did in the GET Ligaen and the SEL.

Last edited by TrueBlueNorwegian: 04-01-2011 at 08:53 PM.
TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueNorwegian View Post
Im one of the Norwegians here who DO understand this move. Thats because I like to think that I maybe understand the process he is going through a little better than some other Norwegian hockey fans who may be new to the NHL and N.A hockey. A lot of them never watched a single game of NHL hockey before he made the move accross the Atlantic.

He lookes fatigued in my eyes. The guy has never played as much hockey as he has this year and I think its a win win for both parties. Go to the AHL, get your confidence back and go home in the summer and train your ass off so you can keep it up throughout a whole season. I think he will use this experience to his advantage. He knows what it takes now, he has a very good head on his shoulders and he will be back playing for the Rangers for sure! Some players take longer to develope and I still have all the faith in the world that Zucc will pan out to be a good NHL'er but he will never tear it up in the NHL like he did in the GET Ligaen and the SEL.
Agreed. No one should be writing him off yet. He will train hard this summer and use the experience to his advantage. He'll be back next year for sure.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Artemia

Quote:
He has talent and a good attitude but he is clearly tired and even admitted that he's not used to playing this many games in a year. He has a promising future but needs to be in the minors at this point.
Where has he admitted to that? According to Norways national coach zuccarello is pissed about this move.

Certainly doesn't sound like he's tired and agrees he should be in ahl.

Artemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemia View Post
Where has he admitted to that? According to Norways national coach zuccarello is pissed about this move.

Certainly doesn't sound like he's tired and agrees he should be in ahl.
It feels like its a lot of games, Im not used to it.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 02:37 AM
Placid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemia View Post
I remember that article. Roy Johansen is not something i'd ever use as a reliable source, hehe

Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 02:37 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

From the officiall whale site comes this article on the move;

Quote:
New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that forward Mats Zuccarello has been assigned to the Whale.

Zuccarello, 23, has registered six goals and 16 assists for 22 points, along with four penalty minutes in 41 games this season. He leads the Rangers with nine power play assists, and is tied for sixth with nine power play points. Zuccarello also leads the team and is tied for fifth and second in the NHL, respectively, with five shootout goals and three shootout game-deciding goals, and ranks second on the Rangers with a 55.6% shootout percentage.

He has posted four multi-point performances this season, including a career-high, three-assist effort on January 25 vs. Florida and his first career multi-goal game with two goals on March 6 vs. Philadelphia. Zuccarello made his NHL debut on December 23 vs. Tampa Bay, tallying a shootout goal in the contest. He recorded his first NHL point with a power play assist on December 27 vs. the New York Islanders, and notched his first career goal with the overtime game-winner on January 5 vs. Carolina.

Zuccarello returns to Connecticut where he has registered 13 goals and 12 assists for 25 points, along with 16 penalty minutes in 33 games this season. He recorded 23 points (11 goals, 12 assists) in his last 21 AHL games with four goals and five assists in his last seven contests prior to his recall on December 27. He was tied for second among AHL rookies and ranked third on the team in goals, and ranked fourth among league rookies and fourth on Connecticut in points at the time of his recall.

He also ranked third on the team with 98 shots on goal, and was tied for fourth in assists and power play goals (three). Zuccarello posted an AHL career-high, four points, including his first career hat trick in a 7-1 win vs. Bridgeport on November 7. He made his AHL debut on October 9 vs. Charlotte, and tallied his first career point with a goal on October 15 at Albany.

The Oslo, Norway native signed with the Rangers as a free agent on May 26, 2010

Last edited by Glennsoe: 04-02-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Glennsoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 05:45 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I don't think this is smart. The team can't score and desperately needs wins in the next few games. Why send down one of the very few creative offensive players? His development should be a priority, sure, but with 4 games left and being in this position the number one priority by a huge margin should be finding a way to win these games. He was bad on the PP yesterday but so was everyone...literally everyone.
He looked scared. No use for a scared player right now.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
He looked scared. No use for a scared player right now.
gonna agree with you here...hes just being pushed around and just doesnt win battles...hes lacking confidence in his game. frankly so am i, i think teams have figured him out. he doesnt have the speed to get my most NHL defenders so they just close that gap and take him right into the boards...every...damn....time.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 08:49 AM
KenGuru

I must say Zuccarello seems to have gained some weight. He has rounder cheeks. Does Torts have restrictions about what they eat and drink ?

KenGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 10:18 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Well i simply disagree i think he is to valuable of a player to have in the minors. It just is a dumb move. I said this before i even knew he led the team in powerplay assists.It is no coincidence as i can cleary see he knows how make a play happen esp on PP half wall NOT AT POINT. I think he still has more to give this year and its a mistake to send the most creative guys on our team to the minors. I like guys like Cally, prust, but them and pretty much everyone with the exception of maybe Gaborik, Steps and somewhat Anisimov and Dubi have decent vision but none as good as MZA. This would make sense if there was someone who we had to replace him that offered more but we dont, and W2 has not convinced me at all that the little skill he has will amount to anything.

Old
04-02-2011, 10:21 AM
TollefsenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueNorwegian View Post

I agree! Hate to say it I also think that zuce will be a great nhler, but im not sure if nyr is the right club. By that i mean its a big club. Perhaps it would be better for him to play in a smaller club like columbus cause he will get more icetime and the coach will be more patient. Just look at how well Knutsen played for columbus. Sucked for anaheim, star in columbus

TollefsenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 10:26 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeheHohoHaha View Post
I agree! Hate to say it I also think that zuce will be a great nhler, but im not sure if nyr is the right club. By that i mean its a big club. Perhaps it would be better for him to play in a smaller club like columbus cause he will get more icetime and the coach will be more patient. Just look at how well Knutsen played for columbus. Sucked for anaheim, star in columbus
It's not that, it's that the Rangers are entering the most important stretch of the season and he just hasn't looked good. He was given ample ice time earlier and he did well with it, but now his game has dropped off, which is perfectly understandable for a rookie getting used to the game still, and he can't flourish with the ice time he'll be getting since we need to rely on our bigger guns.

I don't know if NYR is the right club but i'd like to think he can play here just fine next year.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:29 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeheHohoHaha View Post
Zuccarello's problem is the same problem that every undersized NHL'er has. It has nothing to do with patience by the coaching staff, it has to do with the way North American hockey works.

If you are an undersized forward you're only chance of becoming a regular in the NHL is if you break into the top-6 of your respective team. If you're not good enough to merit ice time on the top 2 lines, 99% of coaches would rather have someone bigger, stronger and more defensively responsible to play on the bottom two lines.

Zuccarello isn't a top-6 forward on the Rangers. He lacks the speed to be a goal-scoring threat. He's a playmaker, which means the only way he's going to have success is if he thinks the game faster than everyone else. He needs to develop a higher understanding of the pacing and systems characteristic of the NHL so that he can fully utilize his passing skills. If it wasn't for his dominance in the shootout he would have been sent down earlier IMO and that move would have been completely justified.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:57 PM
AdamGravesNight

Send a message via AIM to AdamGravesNight Send a message via Yahoo to AdamGravesNight
I just don't know if more minutes are going to help MZA play better this season. Perhaps now it's just about building his stamina for next year.My reaction to MZA getting Prucha'd.

AdamGravesNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:59 PM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
well we just lost 20 fans, who are now migrating onto the avs board to support holos
Well Don`t count me in on this one. I am gonna follow Rangers,and hope Zucc is back next year,stronger,faster and with more experienced linesmates next season.

Go for the PO Rangers.
By the way,Zucc had one assist for the Whale yesterday.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Dagh

vCash: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
Well Don`t count me in on this one. I am gonna follow Rangers,and hope Zucc is back next year,stronger,faster and with more experienced linesmates next season.

Go for the PO Rangers.
By the way,Zucc had one assist for the Whale yesterday.
Don't count me in with those either, I was only ever watching because of Zucca. I was already a Leafs fan though and there's no way I'm following two teams that mostly play un-pretty hockey.

Dagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Great to see zuke with his first comeback point in ahl..

Anyone know where I can catch streams of his Ahl games ?

Don't worry Ranger loyals....I'll be watching both teams...Stepan is still my main Ranger boy....

Glennsoe is online now   Reply With Quote