HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you guys move Christian Thomas?

Old
02-20-2011, 04:44 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

vCash: 500
Kid has hands and his father was a great undersized player. Obviously ust because his dad was an NHLer means nothing but he's had a lifetime of learning how to succeed as a smaller player. He even potted a couple in Traverse City.

Don't trade.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 04:50 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Obviously ust because his dad was an NHLer means nothing
I'd argue it means a ton... He's got a great mentor and a legacy to live up to, which means he likely has extra drive to make it and be successful as a professional hockey player...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 05:01 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Sounds like exactly what this team needs. Not too mention he's right handed, and on the pp, I can't remember the last time the Rangers had someone who could be set up for a one time blast from near the top of the right circle (maybe just Zherdev for one year).

Zuccarello is around the same height and he doesn't look scared too me at all. Two of the toughest players in Rangers history were around that size (Mcphee, Domi). "Toughness" or the act of being "tough" is so much more mental (just ask Hugh Jessiman) than it is physical, although if you have both attributes, you're probably at an advantage but it still depends and varies from individual to individual.

The Rangers can use as many kids in the system who can shoot the puck hard and quickly off the pass. If he can handle the puck and create, that's a huge bonus. People were pumped when Grachev put up 40g for Brampton, on a team with Matt Duchene and Cody Hodgson. Thomas, already has more than 40g and there's only one player in the OHL (as of now) who has more.
If he has the same attitude and dedication that lead to his father scoring >400 goals in the NHL then he may very well be our best prospect (other than Kreider) as well as a future top 3-6 forward.

I hope he signs an elc after this season. There's nothing left for Thomas to prove playing Junior Hockey. Same goes for Kreider.
Good post but Thomas is a couple of inches taller then Zuccarello.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 05:33 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I'd argue it means a ton... He's got a great mentor and a legacy to live up to, which means he likely has extra drive to make it and be successful as a professional hockey player...
As well as what NHL life is like. Sons of former players have a direct line to the life of a professional athlete. IMO, for talented players, it's an important factor.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Jxmarts

Although Kreider has stepped it up a little lately, I consider Christian Thomas by far the Rangers' best offensive prospect.

I'll grant you Kreider has a nice size/speed package, but I don't see how Kreider will magically find the scoring touch in the NHL when he's struggled thus far in college. It's very rare that collegiate players become top NHL scorers if they're not already tearing it up by their sophomore year. He could turn out to be a nice player, but I just don't think Kreider has the scoring touch to be an elite scoring forward in the NHL.

Thomas, on the other hand, has outstanding stats as an 18 year old in the OHL. Just as importantly, he has continued to improve, which is what you look for in a junior player. Though his dad was a very good player in his day, Christian reminds me even more of Joey Mullen.

I'd trade Kreider before I'd trade Thomas.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 07:48 AM
JimmyStart*

If a Malkin, or Doughty type became available then yes I'd package him but the size of the package may be a concern especially considering what question marks would be associated with a guy of that caliber being traded. If it's simply a BR contract running out or cap issue then that makes it a lot easier. Without an actual situation in front of us it's hard to do anything but dream up crazy scenarios. So it would take a crazy scenario involving a top player.

In the case of BR I may consider straight up, don't think I would especially if i think I'm signing himb./c then i keep my guys and get him...but maybe that thinking is just too greedy

I guess I'd even go for a consistent 60 pt guy who brings the type of grit and leadership this team demands. I don't think you can have enouh Byuf's or Dub's or Cally's. Much as I love Boyle, Prust, Avery, Feds Prospal I'd replace them with multiple Dub's Cally's and Byuf's and walk away confident I'm winning a cup without a single super star. Of course it's impossible to assemble a lineup like that. they'd have to have a name like wrecking crew or Broadway Bruisers or something

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 08:36 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
Thomas' season after being drafted in the OHL is more impressive than Grachev's was.
never mind

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Distinctions between Grachev and Thomas's years;

pro-Grachev

This was Grachev's first year in NA hockey
Grachev was a big guy, Thomas is small
Lit it up in the playoffs as well

pro-Thomas

More GPG, PPG than Grachev so far
Weaker team, not playing on line with Duchene and Hodgson
2nd straight 40 goal season shows no fluke
Younger than Grachev was

02-22-2011, 09:21 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Than I really like Thomas. I trust Gordie Clark, the dude has genius when it comes to prospects.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:22 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Distinctions between Grachev and Thomas's years;

pro-Grachev

This was Grachev's first year in NA hockey
Grachev was a big guy, Thomas is small
Lit it up in the playoffs as well

pro-Thomas

More GPG, PPG than Grachev so far
Weaker team, not playing on line with Duchene and Hodgson
2nd straight 40 goal season shows no fluke
Younger than Grachev was
Fair points, except the bolded is somewhat overstated - the three were not on a line together.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Than I really like Thomas. I trust Gordie Clark, the dude has genius when it comes to prospects.
the only thing worse than incessantly over rating our picks is over rating Gordie Clark .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

For a kid that thin, it's amazing what kind of velocity he has behind his shot. His release is phenomenal as well. We have a lot of guys like Dubinsky and Callahan who are good at banging the puck into the net, but aren't necessarily a threat to score whenever they touch the puck. Thomas could be that player. The kid can score from just about anywhere inside the blue line.

I think there's going to be a learning curve due to his size, but I'm very excited to see what he can do at the next level. I'd be shocked to see him make the jump to the NHL next year, but I certainly think he'll be one of the last ones cut at camp.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Dorado*

Any clue how big he really is ?and curious why he didnt even get a look at the WJC tryout? i know Canada is pretty deep and this is a 19 yr olds tourny for most part but with his offensive consistency hard to believ he wasnt even good enough for a camp invite this year . same goes Gordies other prodigy ...who we all know size is not an issue .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Any clue how big he really is ?and curious why he didnt even get a look at the WJC tryout? i know Canada is pretty deep and this is a 19 yr olds tourny for most part but with his offensive consistency hard to believ he wasnt even good enough for a camp invite this year . same goes Gordies other prodigy ...who we all know size is not an issue .
You answered your own question. Very few 18 y/o's get an invite, let alone beat out the competition in camp. There's quite a bit of politics involved in the selection process as well.

There are older, better defensemen than McIlrath available for the tourney. That doesn't mean he won't get an invite next year, or that he won't get any better. So lets not try and use this as a poor attempt to make him look like a bad pick, ok?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
You answered your own question. Very few 18 y/o's get an invite, let alone beat out the competition in camp. There's quite a bit of politics involved in the selection process as well.

There are older, better defensemen than McIlrath available for the tourney. That doesn't mean he won't get an invite next year, or that he won't get any better. So lets not try and use this as a poor attempt to make him look like a bad pick, ok?
I can only think of one Dman in the last 11 years, Keaton Ellerby, who was drafted top 10 or higher and failed to make his teams WJC team the following December. The last forwards I can recall were Alex Picard, Derrick Brassard and before them Mike Rupp.

Of course those stats don't prove anything, but they are very interesting nonetheless.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Bardof425*

He's putting up big numbers and he seems to be extremely consistent. We need forwards with the ability to score and I would keep him unless he's sent for another guy who projects to score often. I like his pedigree and the places he's willing to go to score. Keep him, sign him and see if he can make the team as a 19-year old. If he can score he is needed.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Sypher04

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I came here to update you guys who don't follow the OHL or Thomas, and this seemed the most appropriate place to do so.

The Ontario Hockey League playoffs are in the first round. Generals just eliminated Kingston in 5 games largely on the back of a great performance by Thomas. 5 goals, 8 assists, and a plus 12 rating.

Lessio, DeHart and Jenner also looked really good, but there's no question Thomas is the catalyst. Currently, 1st in OHL playoff scoring. Finished 2nd in goals at 54 in the regular season, and 1 point shy of the century mark (6th in the league).

You guys are lucky to have him in your system. He's gonna be a damn good player one day for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The simple fact that anyone (who is not a Leafs fan...) would even think of offering a package like that for Phil the Thrill is laughable at best.
FWIW, many of us Leaf fans hated the price we paid for Kessel.

Last edited by Sypher04: 04-02-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 10:52 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I came here to update you guys who don't follow the OHL or Thomas, and this seemed the most appropriate place to do so.

The Ontario Hockey League playoffs are in the first round. Generals just eliminated Kingston in 5 games largely on the back of a great performance by Thomas. 5 goals, 8 assists, and a plus 12 rating.

Lessio, DeHart and Jenner also looked really good, but there's no question Thomas is the catalyst. Currently, 1st in OHL playoff scoring. Finished 2nd in goals at 54 in the regular season, and 1 point shy of the century mark (6th in the league).

You guys are lucky to have him in your system. He's gonna be a damn good player one day for you.

Thomas is turning himself into a god of our prospects. hard to say Gordie clark is overrated when gems like this keep popping up.

I think everyone who isn't a Bruins fan hates the price you paid for Kessel.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 10:52 AM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
would only trade Thomas in a package for Kessel

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:16 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:

Just as a heads up, we have a ton of Thomas discussion going on in the Prospects Thread. It's where we track all of our NCAA/CHL/Other prospects.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
Quote:

Yeah I actually do like the leafs and what pissed me off as much as them trading away that much, was the fact that it went to Boston.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:20 AM
ThisYearsModel

There are about 100 players I would like to trade for before Kessel. Right now, I would not trade Thomas unless someone wants to move a young, studley player that is can't miss. Should Kreider, Thaomas and McIlrath pan out.....we will have a pretty good team in a few years.

ThisYearsModel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Garfinkel1

After drafting him I couldn't find anything wrong with the guy. Seemed like a steal from the get go. A lot of people called it a steal for where we drafted him. I'm excited he's panning out to be a solid prospect and it wasn't just the fan goggles talking up a prospect.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:39 AM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
There are about 100 players I would like to trade for before Kessel. Right now, I would not trade Thomas unless someone wants to move a young, studley player that is can't miss. Should Kreider, Thaomas and McIlrath pan out.....we will have a pretty good team in a few years.
even if one or two do, they still should be ok. need that #1 center though.

kreider-richards-gaborik
dubinsky-anisimov-callahan
grachev-stepan-thomas
hagelin-boyle-prust
zuccarello, boogaard

staal-girardi
mcdonagh-sauer
del zotto-mcilrath
valentenko

lundqvist
talbot

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post
even if one or two do, they still should be ok. need that #1 center though.

kreider-richards-gaborik
dubinsky-anisimov-callahan
grachev-stepan-thomas
hagelin-boyle-prust
zuccarello, boogaard

staal-girardi
mcdonagh-sauer
del zotto-mcilrath
valentenko

lundqvist
talbot
That looks like a contender to me down the road....Granted we do have a ton of ?? with all those rookies.lol

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote