HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Will Sather ever push it too far?

Old
04-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

vCash: 500
Will Sather ever push it too far?

If we miss the playoffs again, how much more leeway can we possibly give him? Is Sather's job ever going to be in danger, or will we have to endure his reign of terror song long as Dolan is at the helm?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 05:58 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If he hasn't been fired yet, he'll never be fired.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 05:58 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
If we miss the playoffs again, how much more leeway can we possibly give him? Is Sather's job ever going to be in danger, or will we have to endure his reign of terror song long as Dolan is at the helm?
You just answered your own question.

Sather has free reign until he decides to leave.

04-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
You just answered your own question.

Sather has free reign until he decides to leave.
That's what I'm afraid of. This would probably have to reach Isaiah Thomas territory for a move to be made.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 06:03 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
That's what I'm afraid of. This would probably have to reach Isaiah Thomas territory for a move to be made.
But even at that point look at how there are still rumors about Thomas coming back to the Knicks.

The root of all problems with MSG teams, is and will be until he leaves, James Dolan.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 08:05 PM
chip chipperson*

if we dont make it nothing would make me happier than to hear fire sather chants.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 08:13 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

At first I was goin to reply with a it's not his fault, look at coaching, were young, he's got a plan yada yada.

But I thought about it and honestly any gm can come in and make smart, youth oriented moves to keep the team young and not sell a bright future for one cup run, sather isn't the only one to blame though; many things go into this teams ups and downs.

But in the end I know sather won't be gone until he decides he's done so well have to take the bad with the good and hope the people around him keep him on track and keep the organization headed in the right direction.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:54 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Despite these last few days and that nasty stretch in February I'm generally happy with the way things have been in Ranger Country since the lockout.

Is it perfect? No.

Will it hurt like hell if they miss the playoffs by a game or a point? You better believe it.

But as long as they are patient, keep incorporating youth, have Gordie Clark and Jeff Gorton run the draft along with some input from Graves (Christian Thomas), Messier, Hedberg, and Vladimir Luchenko, and use UFAs only to enhance the product, I really have no issues with Sather.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:02 AM
TheHotRock

a) i want to miss the playoffs
b) sather is ok by me

i like where this team is headed. sure, slats made a couple of epic mistakes, but for the most part he's done a decent job of cleaning them up. our club is really only missing a couple of pieces before we can be considered legit contenders. give our young core another year or two.....by then the dead weight will be off the books and we'll have space to sign a legit difference maker.

also....it doesn't suck to have the best goalie in the world

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 02:19 AM
HoosierDaddy

Damn, there's zero accountability in Rangerland...

...from the owner to the fans.

There is only one reason the Baffoon from Banf-f-f has gone with a young squad and that is because he has no other choice given his moronic ufa contracts. There is no room for signings so he has to keep his itchy fingers in his pocket.

The "we'll live and die with the kids" is self serving tripe. It's a built in excuse for underachieving; for the GM and the coach.

Seven years on and we're still mediocre - not good enough and not bad enough. We're in Purgatory.

My honest opinion. Not trying to start ****.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 08:13 AM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post

There is only one reason the Baffoon from Banf-f-f has gone with a young squad and that is because he has no other choice given his moronic ufa contracts. There is no room for signings so he has to keep his itchy fingers in his pocket.

The "we'll live and die with the kids" is self serving tripe. It's a built in excuse for underachieving; for the GM and the coach.

Seven years on and we're still mediocre - not good enough and not bad enough. We're in Purgatory.

This team is moving in the right direction.

E Nixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 08:48 AM
The Mouth

The below poster nailed it.

Quote:

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

<--Glens only fan!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 09:21 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Sather will never be fired. He will eventually step up to President and hand the GM position to Messier.

When will this happen? Within the next 3 years

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 09:33 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

There is only one reason the Baffoon from Banf-f-f has gone with a young squad and that is because he has no other choice given his moronic ufa contracts.

I have to disagree. There was a very concise plan post lockout to rebuild the team from within. What derailed that plan was Jagr and Lundqvist in 2006. We all got excited and thought maybe there was contender here.

Sather did the right thing and explored that idea, but alas.

Post Jagr the rebuild continues. Its a work in progress and they are back on track.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the blueline, the Dubi Cally Zucco Prust Boyle.

We are an elite forward away from taking a big step towards being a legit threat contender, and it looks like the room to sign that player will be there in the not to distant future.

The busted signings/ trades for of Drury Gomez, Redden, Zherdev, Ollie were all worthy gambles imo. Redden is the only one I really have a problem with because he did show signs of reduced offense prior to his signing here. All those contracts are too much $$ but we have no idea if Sather set that bar or he just had to meet it to compete.

Look what Briere got in Philly and we see thats what the market dictated that summer. We are lucky the Rangers have the cash to wiggle out of some of these deals. Sather has more opportunity to take a chance than other teams.

Over all I give him a B+ - especially after last summer.

Old
04-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

"especially after last summer."

Even after he gave a good-for-nothing 4th liner 1.6 million a year... for FOUR years?

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:24 AM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Why would he ever be fired? He's only staying the course. Would you really want to replace him with someone who might stray from the course and make us more than a mediocre franchise?

Stay the course.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
But even at that point look at how there are still rumors about Thomas coming back to the Knicks.

The root of all problems with MSG teams, is and will be until he leaves, James Dolan.
So we can have a different owner come in and spend at the cap floor every year? Talk about being stuck in mediocrity.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:03 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Why would he ever be fired? He's only staying the course. Would you really want to replace him with someone who might stray from the course and make us more than a mediocre franchise?

Stay the course.
Uh, what is it, 3-4 playoffs in 10-11 years? Time to change "the course", IMO.
There are only two ways to go from mediocre: contender or lottery. Both are imminently more palatable than purgatory.

The last SC champion he had a hand in was 94. Unfortunately he was a GM for the Oilers.

My conspiracy theory is that Little Lord FontelDolan promised him lifetime employment for securing us the Cup. And I'm aware of who owned MSG in 1994.

Old
04-02-2011, 12:14 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Uh, what is it, 3-4 playoffs in 10-11 years? Time to change "the course", IMO.
There are only two ways to go from mediocre: contender or lottery. Both are imminently more palatable than purgatory.

The last SC champion he had a hand in was 94. Unfortunately he was a GM for the Oilers.

My conspiracy theory is that Little Lord FontelDolan promised him lifetime employment for securing us the Cup. And I'm aware of who owned MSG in 1994.
I was hoping that my previous comments on this topic would render the need for the sarcasm smiley moot.

Anyone else ever read 1984 by Orwell? I hope so. Well, the phrase "stay the course" that all the Sather defenders keep utilizing is MSG's version of Newspeak. Keep saying it, keep selling it and the fans will keep buying this idea that things can only get better and that Big Brother Sather will always take care of us.

Honestly, part of me wants this team to free up a huge chunk of cap space just so Big Brother Sather can show all his faithful followers exactly what he thinks of the youth movement.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:16 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
I have to disagree. There was a very concise plan post lockout to rebuild the team from within. What derailed that plan was Jagr and Lundqvist in 2006. We all got excited and thought maybe there was contender here.

Sather did the right thing and explored that idea, but alas.

Post Jagr the rebuild continues. Its a work in progress and they are back on track.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the blueline, the Dubi Cally Zucco Prust Boyle.

We are an elite forward away from taking a big step towards being a legit threat contender, and it looks like the room to sign that player will be there in the not to distant future.

The busted signings/ trades for of Drury Gomez, Redden, Zherdev, Ollie were all worthy gambles imo. Redden is the only one I really have a problem with because he did show signs of reduced offense prior to his signing here. All those contracts are too much $$ but we have no idea if Sather set that bar or he just had to meet it to compete.

Look what Briere got in Philly and we see thats what the market dictated that summer. We are lucky the Rangers have the cash to wiggle out of some of these deals. Sather has more opportunity to take a chance than other teams.
za.
Over all I give him a B+ - especially after last summer.
Granted, this may be true, or not. As a fan I can only go with what I read on the net as I'm not privy to "the plan."

But if we were in a legit rebuild I double my condemnation of the stewardship. Look. I'm just a fan and in no way think my casual ideas stand up to the brilliance a 2 Penn Plaza. If there was truly a rebuild he had 2 opportunities to move Jagr at the deadline to move us further along the rebuild. When most of us casual fans were screaming to sell at the deadline this imbecile was reloading; handing out $7mm contracts like candy corn on Holloween.

IMO, this team would be even further along had we done a consistent rebuild. That he thought we were good enough to win a Cup with the swiss cheese composition of a team he put together is proof enough for me that he's clueless. Whether the youth movement is by design or forced on him by the bad signings is moot. What I'm grateful for is that he hasn't traded assets for for mercenaries like at the beginning of his "reign of error."

btw - I think your grading is very forgiving. B+ is beyond generous. You need to grade him on his tenure here, and that's no where near "B" territory.

Last edited by HoosierDaddy: 04-02-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old
04-02-2011, 12:20 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
I was hoping that my previous comments on this topic would render the need for the sarcasm smiley moot.

Anyone else ever read 1984 by Orwell? I hope so. Well, the phrase "stay the course" that all the Sather defenders keep utilizing is MSG's version of Newspeak. Keep saying it, keep selling it and the fans will keep buying this idea that things can only get better and that Big Brother Sather will always take care of us.

Honestly, part of me wants this team to free up a huge chunk of cap space just so Big Brother Sather can show all his faithful followers exactly what he thinks of the youth movement.
Sorry bra. I sometimes shoot first and ask question afterwards. Sorry for the friendly fire. You, my friend, "get it."

Old
04-02-2011, 12:58 PM
AdamGravesNight

Send a message via AIM to AdamGravesNight Send a message via Yahoo to AdamGravesNight
I feel like if Sather wasn't fired last year, when everyone was out to get him (Fire Sather Rally). He definitely won't be fired this year.

AdamGravesNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Glen 'the process' Sather is horrible at his job, going on 20 years now. He's cocky, stubborn and never has to explain himself or god forbid be held accountable for any of his mistakes. If any of us had done this level of work at our jobs we'd have been fired years ago, yet he gets a pass for mediocrity year in year out and gets paid like a king to do so.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 01:45 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
If there was truly a rebuild he had 2 opportunities to move Jagr at the deadline to move us further along the rebuild.
That was not an option. Jagrs contract was tricky. The Caps paid a good portion of his salary as long as he remained a NY Ranger.

He also scored 50+ goals in 06, which is just the cherry on top of what he did for revitalizing a franchise and it's fanbase.