HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

NCAA/CHL UFA's of Interest

Old
03-28-2011, 09:21 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcminaker View Post
OK, whatever.

The thing people have to remember is that you can only offer a top college prospect so much money. When that is the case and the salary offers are the same, the player looks for the best opportunity to play right away. Da costa is going to go to a team like Ottawa or Florida because he can play in their top 6 right away. Who even knows if De costa turns out. Bozak and Gilroy were supposed "elite ufas" a couple years ago and I haven't been impressed with either guy in the least.

And how do you know Regier hasn't been in on these guys. These "sources" don't know every conversation that has taken place.
I'm well aware of the fact that you can only offer them so much money.
You can also offer them ice time and a probability of team success, which Buffalo offers more-so than Florida or Ottawa.

You don't think Buffalo has a need and that he couldn't earn a spot here right away?
I don't know what to tell you if you don't feel that way, because it's just reality.

I don't really care how other players have turned out because there are plenty of positive and negative examples.
In my opinion, both of the players you mentioned have been just fine; nothing exceptional, but they are still free players.
We have a need for skilled centers, so a strong push should have been made.

I can assume Regier wasn't pushing very hard for him because Buffalo has been mentioned a whopping zero times in rumors.
It also wasn't mentioned by any local media; I know they suck, but you'd think they might hear things.
Yes, almost every team was interested, but there were teams that were very interested.
Buffalo should have been one of them in my opinion and wasn't ever mentioned.

I should add that he hasn't officially signed with Florida yet, it's just what is out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
Zanette signed with the Habs. That awesome news for him and the NU hockey program.
To clarify, he signed an ATO with Hamilton only and hasn't signed an ELC with the Canadiens yet.
Perhaps it's because they aren't confident because he plays in the AHA, which is much weaker than other conferences.
It can also be used as a spring board if he wants to sign with any other team he wants to.
If he plays well there and proves himself, he could easily just sign an ELC with any other team.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I can understand Florida for DaCosta -- he's probably going to be in the NHL almost immediately. It would've been nice, if it does turn out that he's off the market... but they should be then moving down the list from DaCosta to the next best guy available.

03-28-2011, 11:13 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I can understand Florida for DaCosta -- he's probably going to be in the NHL almost immediately. It would've been nice, if it does turn out that he's off the market... but they should be then moving down the list from DaCosta to the next best guy available.
Yep.
I haven't seen much about Camper or Miele, but hopefully they are in on them.

Philip-MichaŽl Devos (Victoriaville/Gatineau) may also be someone to look at; he led the Q in scoring this season with 114 points and had 93 last season.
During his draft years, he didn't score much and I don't really know why.
He has decent size at 5'11 and isn't a terrible skater or anything IMO.
Despite his point totals, he's not really a skilled player in the sense that he doesn't have any flashy moves or anything.
He's more of a hard worker and a battler.

Andrej Stastny (Vancouver) is someone they could look at too.
He is 20 and has nice size at 6'4 203 lbs. and just crossed the pond to play for the Giants after the WJC.
The only time I really saw him was at the WJC, but he had good point totals for his first season in North America (30 points in 32 GP).
There has been some talk that he isn't eligible to be signed as a free agent, but I think there's an exception.
Depending on the CBA definition of "season", I believe he would be a free agent after the draft if he goes unselected since he played in North America, even if it was only 32 games (I should add, the WHL definition of a season is 25 games).
If he had stayed in Europe, I believe teams would have had to wait until he was 22 to sign him as a free agent.
If you want to try to figure it out yourself, the relevant CBA sections are 8.9b and 10.1d.

Old
03-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Yep.
I haven't seen much about Camper or Miele, but hopefully they are in on them.

Philip-MichaŽl Devos (Victoriaville/Gatineau) may also be someone to look at; he led the Q in scoring this season with 114 points and had 93 last season.
During his draft years, he didn't score much and I don't really know why.
He has decent size at 5'11 and isn't a terrible skater or anything IMO.
Despite his point totals, he's not really a skilled player in the sense that he doesn't have any flashy moves or anything.
He's more of a hard worker and a battler.

Andrej Stastny (Vancouver) is someone they could look at too.
He is 20 and has nice size at 6'4 203 lbs. and just crossed the pond to play for the Giants after the WJC.
The only time I really saw him was at the WJC, but he had good point totals for his first season in North America (30 points in 32 GP).
There has been some talk that he isn't eligible to be signed as a free agent, but I think there's an exception.
Depending on the CBA definition of "season", I believe he would be a free agent after the draft if he goes unselected since he played in North America, even if it was only 32 games (I should add, the WHL definition of a season is 25 games).
If he had stayed in Europe, I believe teams would have had to wait until he was 22 to sign him as a free agent.
If you want to try to figure it out yourself, the relevant CBA sections are 8.9b and 10.1d.

I like Stastny from viewings at the pre-tournie games and during the WJC's too. He's got a far bit of chip and chop to go along with solid physical tools and the ability to lay the body. His scoring totals weren't bad -- better than I expected, honestly.

Bakes seems sold on Miele as the guy, from what he's seen of him and talked about. I trust his judgement on these sort of things -- I've seen the kid three times total this year and he's certainly a game little SOB.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcminaker View Post
OK, whatever.

The thing people have to remember is that you can only offer a top college prospect so much money. When that is the case and the salary offers are the same, the player looks for the best opportunity to play right away. Da costa is going to go to a team like Ottawa or Florida because he can play in their top 6 right away. Who even knows if De costa turns out. Bozak and Gilroy were supposed "elite ufas" a couple years ago and I haven't been impressed with either guy in the least.

And how do you know Regier hasn't been in on these guys. These "sources" don't know every conversation that has taken place.
Thank you.

I know there are some hits in the NCAA UFA market but they're few and far between. People get wound up over these players every year and so few end up being real impact NHLers. I'd be happy with adding a couple Derek Whitmore's to the organization but... it's not something I'm losing sleep over.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Thank you.

I know there are some hits in the NCAA UFA market but they're few and far between. People get wound up over these players every year and so few end up being real impact NHLers. I'd be happy with adding a couple Derek Whitmore's to the organization but... it's not something I'm losing sleep over.
The Bozak conversation is interesting. Buffalo has a wide, glaring hole in the middle down on the farm and in their development/depth charts. Signing somone the likes of DaCosta or Miele is at the lease, a move to shore up their AHL level scoring and at worst, an opportunity to groom someone for NHL play. Both the Rangers and Leafs plugged their guys into the lineup immediately (which may have been in part design as an agreement of the signing to shave off a pro year, see Irwin, Brady last year with the Leafs). Buffalo doesn't HAVE to plug a player like this into the lineup. What they do need though are quality scoring bodies for the farm and if either of this kids can provide that for the simple cost of just cash? Do it. Show that they want to make the franchise deeper/better through investment of capital.

Also, the "hype" factor for either of those players has something to do with the rabid nature of their respective fanbases and the size of the press contigent who follow those two teams. Bozak is an NHLer -- he's not a great NHLer but he's good enough to be playing in the league. Similarly, Gilroy has been an NHLer for over 100 games over the last two years. That's the point here -- finding talent that is good enough to make it to the NHL for nothing but the investment.

It matters not where they find players. What matters is filling organizational needs from whatever feeder system they can -- draft pick, UFA signing, trade. All have merit.

Old
03-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
The Bozak conversation is interesting. Buffalo has a wide, glaring hole in the middle down on the farm and in their development/depth charts. Signing somone the likes of DaCosta or Miele is at the lease, a move to shore up their AHL level scoring and at worst, an opportunity to groom someone for NHL play. Both the Rangers and Leafs plugged their guys into the lineup immediately (which may have been in part design as an agreement of the signing to shave off a pro year, see Irwin, Brady last year with the Leafs). Buffalo doesn't HAVE to plug a player like this into the lineup. What they do need though are quality scoring bodies for the farm and if either of this kids can provide that for the simple cost of just cash? Do it. Show that they want to make the franchise deeper/better through investment of capital.

Also, the "hype" factor for either of those players has something to do with the rabid nature of their respective fanbases and the size of the press contigent who follow those two teams. Bozak is an NHLer -- he's not a great NHLer but he's good enough to be playing in the league. Similarly, Gilroy has been an NHLer for over 100 games over the last two years. That's the point here -- finding talent that is good enough to make it to the NHL for nothing but the investment.

It matters not where they find players. What matters is filling organizational needs from whatever feeder system they can -- draft pick, UFA signing, trade. All have merit.
This is the beginning, middle and end of it for me. I don't have a problem with exploring this market but for me the expectations are simply for organizational depth. Derek Whitmore is a win for me. Solid contributor, earns a second contract. Those are the kinds of players I'd look for. For me, the signing of Da Costa, Bozak, Junior Lessard, Peter Sejna, or whoever that seasons' must-have item rates about on par with me as signing some Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo from Bemidji. I'm just not going to expect a legitimate NHL contributor because the odds are very much against it.

They need centers in the organization, that's irrefutable, and you know how big I am on providing more AHL depth than they currently do (Pegula era?). If they can get a couple 3-4 season contributors from the NCAA UFA pool, by all means do so. And if once in a while one of those guys bucks the trend and actually gets an NHL job, awesome. But it's a limited upside market, the best available players always get inflated and I just have trouble getting into it.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Still nothing on either DaCosta or Miele. Good sign or bad sign, it's at least amusing that at least one hasn't been signed by someone yet.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:32 AM
jfb392

Da Costa watched the whole Sabres-Leafs game on Tuesday apparently.
No word on which team he was there for or if he was being courted by both.

Miele is meeting with teams now and wants suggestions on who he should sign with.
Everyone with public Twitter accounts should suggest the Sabres.
He's @Andy_Miele.

Old
03-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Da Costa watched the whole Sabres-Leafs game on Tuesday apparently.
No word on which team he was there for or if he was being courted by both.

Miele is meeting with teams now and wants suggestions on who he should sign with.
Everyone with public Twitter accounts should suggest the Sabres.
He's @Andy_Miele.
Good stuff there. Twitter barrage.... "We need you!"

Old
03-31-2011, 11:14 AM
OpethianSabre20

The Sens signed Da Costa.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
The Sens signed Da Costa.
Per McKenzie's tweet, yeah. Opportunity is big -- he'll quickly get NHL icetime with the Sens. And an NHL paycheck.

Old
03-31-2011, 04:29 PM
ct2111

From the trade rumours thread:
Quote:
Stephane Da Costa signed a two-year contract with Ottawa today. The deal – so long as he plays in the NHL – will pay him an annual salary of $900,000 per season (the max allowed under the current collective bargaining agreement) with another $2.85 million in potential performance bonuses.

It makes the contract worth a potential $3.75 million next season. His salary this season will be prorated.
Source: http://warriorrinkrat.com/2011/03/31...tract-details/

Doubt the Sabres would ever guarantee him a roster spot and take on a $3.75 caphit for an unproven player. Sens have loads of cap space, makes more sense for them.

If they plan on acquiring a #1 d-man or a #1 center, I can't see them making a good enough bid for Miele either.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Most high-end draft picks with max-bonus contracts can count to that level... but don't since the players don't meet all the performance bonus clauses. This isn't anything different than what they get.

Old
03-31-2011, 06:38 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Most high-end draft picks with max-bonus contracts can count to that level... but don't since the players don't meet all the performance bonus clauses. This isn't anything different than what they get.
Yep, unless they are winning the Stanley Cup or are a top 10 player at their position, most of these bonuses don't count.
Next year there's no bonus cushion, but it's not like we'd really have to worry about that.

I already explained this when I first suggested he could be a solution, but much like the whole "sign Connor Knapp" stuff lately, no one seems to listen.

Looks like Miele is checking out LA right now according to his agent Scott Norton (@NortonSports).

Edit: Missed it earlier, but Chase Polacek of RPI to Peoria on an ATO.
Not an NHL contract.

Last edited by jfb392: 03-31-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old
03-31-2011, 10:31 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Shawn Szydlowski (RW, Erie Otters) is a good sized kid who moved well and PKs. He's a RW and a position of relative depth at the AHL level (Kassian, Tropp, probably Legault and a vet)... but maybe someone with a pro frame and checking ability to look at as a longer term project. Eh. Probably not.

Swiss winger Alain Berger from the Gens is also another kid who interests me right now. Pro sized at 6'4", hurt his draft stock by breaking his ankle in the WJC's last year... tearing it up this year for the Gens. It probably depends more on if they want to bring Whitmore back (I think they should as he's grown and is a Portland guy now) or McCauley too.

Old
03-31-2011, 11:08 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Shawn Szydlowski (RW, Erie Otters) is a good sized kid who moved well and PKs. He's a RW and a position of relative depth at the AHL level (Kassian, Tropp, probably Legault and a vet)... but maybe someone with a pro frame and checking ability to look at as a longer term project. Eh. Probably not.
Sounds familiar....Someone will sign him.

Hobey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:11 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
Sounds familiar....Someone will sign him.
Familiar to....? It's sometimes good to get back in the rink to see these kids.

Edit -- besides, with a name like that, they can market hard to the old Polski in town and up in Roncesvalles too.

Old
04-01-2011, 08:23 AM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Canisius senior Cory Conacher has signed an ATO with the Amerks.
I was happy to see this as I go to Canisius. He's played in 2 games for the Amerks and 2 for their ECHL affiliate, and it seems he's been doing well too. 5 goals and 2 assists in 2 games with the Amerks' ECHL affiliate. He also scored his first AHL goal in his second game with the Amerks as well. Only thing I was thinking was with him and Zanette that with them being in the Sabres backyard that the team would be more aware of them. Maybe they are, but just missed out, who knows.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
I was happy to see this as I go to Canisius. He's played in 2 games for the Amerks and 2 for their ECHL affiliate, and it seems he's been doing well too. 5 goals and 2 assists in 2 games with the Amerks' ECHL affiliate. He also scored his first AHL goal in his second game with the Amerks as well. Only thing I was thinking was with him and Zanette that with them being in the Sabres backyard that the team would be more aware of them. Maybe they are, but just missed out, who knows.
I think the Sabres have their sights set on bigger game.

Old
04-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
How's the Andy Miele tweet campaign going? Anyone enlist the Pegula girls to help out there?

Old
04-02-2011, 12:55 AM
jfb392

Quote:
How's the Andy Miele tweet campaign going? Anyone enlist the Pegula girls to help out there?
Not sure, but I would have said something if my account wasn't private.

Looks like the decision will happen tomorrow morning though and yet again the Sabres aren't mentioned once.

Old
04-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Pengo

Coyotes sign Miele, so much for that.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Damn. Same old same old.

Old
04-02-2011, 04:01 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
Coyotes sign Miele, so much for that.
How the **** do they have money to sign players?

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote