HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Playoff Run

View Poll Results: How far do the Flyers go?
1st round 27 23.48%
2nd round 26 22.61%
Conference Finals 15 13.04%
Stanley Cup Finals 47 40.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-02-2011, 04:13 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
I'm going with second round, but it is foolish to think that we have a handle on how they are going to come out in the playoffs.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 04:51 PM
SgtJoseph

I think the Flyers look gassed and unfocused, way too many turnovers at center ice etc.....BUT, Come playoff time i see it all changing.....Never forget that there is ZERO drug testing during the playoffs....Don't think for a minute the Adderol wont start fueling this team as well as others....Its just the way it goes in sports.Ever notice the SPEED of playoff hockey, the intensity, the focus etc..It is a whole different level of hockey.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 05:20 PM
tuckrr

either SCF or ECF i said ECF based on our track record...

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 05:27 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I absolutely love the fear on this board. It is by no means a given that they will make the SCF or anything like that, but to say that a team this deep that for the majority of the season played very well and been in first place most of the year is going to lose in the first round is pretty silly. Not that it can't happen, but there is much more reason to think that they will win rather than that they won't. As it stands right now the Flyers will likely be playing the Sabres, Rangers or Hurricanes. There is no reason to believe that any of those team will beat the Flyers in a seven game series. Again, not saying that it can't happen, but to look at the Flyers vs. one of those two teams and say "Well the Flyers have played poorly the last month or so so they will lose to them" is a bit much. The Rangers and Canes have not really been playing much better than the Flyers, and while the Sabres have, no one on that team outside of Ryan Miller scares me one bit. It's not like the Flyers are going to be playing a team that has been on fire the last month and is also a good team. Yes, they all have better records and played better over the last stretch, but again, these guys aren't really tearing it up.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 05:27 PM
LI Fly Guy

Stanley Cup Champions.

We beat Detriot in 6.

I see the Nucks getting bounced early, President trophy winners rarely go to the ship.

The D is banged up and Roberto is a choker.

LI Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 05:39 PM
flyersfan018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I absolutely love the fear on this board. It is by no means a given that they will make the SCF or anything like that, but to say that a team this deep that for the majority of the season played very well and been in first place most of the year is going to lose in the first round is pretty silly. Not that it can't happen, but there is much more reason to think that they will win rather than that they won't. As it stands right now the Flyers will likely be playing the Sabres, Rangers or Hurricanes. There is no reason to believe that any of those team will beat the Flyers in a seven game series. Again, not saying that it can't happen, but to look at the Flyers vs. one of those two teams and say "Well the Flyers have played poorly the last month or so so they will lose to them" is a bit much. The Rangers and Canes have not really been playing much better than the Flyers, and while the Sabres have, no one on that team outside of Ryan Miller scares me one bit. It's not like the Flyers are going to be playing a team that has been on fire the last month and is also a good team. Yes, they all have better records and played better over the last stretch, but again, these guys aren't really tearing it up.
I agree with everything. People seem to forget how dominate we were in the beginning of the season.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 06:17 PM
cupfailure713

I think the flyers are lulling other teams into a false sense of security by playing the way they have been. They will come on like gangbusters once the playoffs starts (at least I hope they do). Went with the cup finals option.

cupfailure713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 08:24 PM
tuckrr

heres a thought:
compare our last season performance to the playoff run we had.

We are a team built on chemistry and actual friendship (i actually believe the flyers to be one of the closest teams in the NHL despite what some may say of pronger V richards or pronger V giroux)

Theses guys are a really well-knit team and are hard on eachother because they want to win/ believe in their teammates.
Not to mention, everyone on our team is in Laviolettes pocket after he helped rally their season (and series in boston)

Honestly in a league where players move around frequently, and especially on a website like this where everyone wants to trade or make moves, it is easy to forget how these guys are people and having a place to call home allows you to be happy. In the salary cap era: happy = lower contracts = success (believe it or not)

danny B, Leino, and Hartnell are all examples of guys who found a sense of 'home' here in philly with their line. Since they've been together their play has exploded...chemistry? for sure! but there is more than chemistry (and even veterinary) between these 3 guys.

Danny briere (IMO has the capability to be a lazy player) has never looked like he's cared more about the game in his career!
He actually TRIES in the defensive zone (i mean he's only 5'8" on a good day, so he's going to get beat at times)
Plus he's waaaaay more likely to pass!
He has faith that his linemates can do something with the puck or he knows if they can't it will come back to him.

on another note, dont despair guys we're going to look great in the playoffs:
we have LAPPY as a hockey martyr,
we have BRIERE BETTS AND PRONGER!!
OUR TEAM IS JUST THAT MUCH STRONGER!

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 09:47 PM
MountainHawk

Pittsburgh and Washington both win ... Magic numbers remain 4 for the division and 8 for the conference.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:33 PM
JABEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupfailure713 View Post
I think the flyers are lulling other teams into a false sense of security by playing the way they have been. They will come on like gangbusters once the playoffs starts (at least I hope they do). Went with the cup finals option.
I've seen little hints of it in the Washington game when they came back to take the score to 4-3. The team was buzzing again.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 01:17 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

My honest expectations? They'll get through the first round in 6 games. They'll lose in the second round in 5.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 01:19 AM
zbryne

Send a message via Skype™ to zbryne
wheres the i dont freakin know option

zbryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Once the dragon wakes up. Eastern Conference is in trouble.

I am pissed at this team too, but this team has guys that should wake up and start raging because of their pride.

This is the same core as last year. Once these guys find that heart again--- yikes.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:46 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
I agree with everything. People seem to forget how dominate we were in the beginning of the season.
People like me have forgotten this because the team seems to have forgotten, too. Such deep-seeded inconsistency is very troubling, in a way even more so than last year. We knew they were a better team than one that just squeaked into the playoffs. Now, by all appearances, they spent their ammo early on and either can't or won't do the same things that made them so successful at the beginning of the year.

Of course, this could all change on a dime and they could roar right back to the finals. All we have to judge is their present body of work, and I am not optimistic.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:56 AM
duffy9748

If they get the 1 seed, I see them going to the finals. I think we can take Washington as well if they get the 1 seed. They're beat up on the blue line and that is what matters most. We are clearly missing Pronger right now. The team is just different when he is on the ice. No team in the East has a player like Pronger.

Vancouver and Detroit are the only two teams in the west that worry me but I wouldn't be surprised if they dont make it to the finals. Their first round matchups right now are Anaheim and Chicago. They will both be beat to **** if they make it to the finals.

They played like **** going into the playoffs last year as well and proved that they can just flip the switch(I understand that isn't the ideal way to go into to the postseason). I won't dismiss the team cause of their recent run until we see how they play when Pronger returns. I believe more than ever that this is the year. Their just too deep right?

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:03 AM
duffy9748

Adding onto the last post, this team is built for the Playoffs. I remember a quotes from Briere and Hartnell last year saying the exact same thing. Many of the players on this team turn into studs when the postseason begins. I think it's clear that the Briere line makes this team go. If they are clicking, their just too hard to defend. Especially if Zherdev stays in the lineup and performs like he did the other night.

JVR-Richards-Versteeg
Zherdev-Giroux-Carter
Harnell-Briere-Leino
Powe-Betts-Nodl/Carcillo

Honestly, how do you match up with that group of forwards?

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 02:18 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

If the team is built for the playoffs they would capitalize on their PP's! Going into the 3rd against the Rangers and they are squandering PP's like draft picks....I'm convinced the PP will do them in this year in the playoffs and they might be able to squeek out maybe one series without it but no more....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 02:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I haven't abandoned ship on the season, but I'm not going to blame anyone else if they think the team is doomed. They could still go to the finals if they can flip the switch, but they way they're playing you can't convince people to expect them to still be playing in May.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:38 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
We just don't look hungry. I'm pretty much the board pessimist, so I don't see this team going all the way. This is where we need our veterans to step up and carry the team and create a good example to the younger guys.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:46 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

if briere decides to show up, we'll be fine.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:53 PM
brian822

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I haven't abandoned ship on the season, but I'm not going to blame anyone else if they think the team is doomed. They could still go to the finals if they can flip the switch, but they way they're playing you can't convince people to expect them to still be playing in May.
well said

brian822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

I haven't read past the first half of the first page so sorry if cover old stuff.

I honestly felt worse a this point LAST season that I do now... by far... very far. I remember hoping they hold on to the last spot a least and after the final game SO play-in I stated out loud and often that that was my postseason success... merely getting in with our 3rd string goalie between the pipes... When the injuries occurred in the Devils series I expected a collapse, if not in that series surely after... I gave hem up for dead after the first two Bruins games when they couldn't salvage Game One... I was shocked at getting to Game Seven and considered myself content with getting that far back once they were three goals down early in the First Period... I never expected Leighton to be a shutout machine vs the Habs and have the returned injured players do so well nor have Briere's line get so hot... Leino was a great surprise... I never expected them to be in a real nice position to win the Cup had they had merely average goaltending, which hey didn't.

So,... how can I say that this team has no shot because they are limping into the Postseason much like last season's team was... and they will have better seeding and have displayed more talent and depth than last season. If they can step up when their backs were against the wall last season why can't this team with the experience from last season's extended run turn the switch and go just as far or even win the Cup?

Personally though I hope they are not merely counting on flipping a switch... often those switches fail from lack of use... But, until they fail I have to give them the benefit of the doubt... I picked SCF... going with all the upsides being met.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Bobrovsky is going to be your #1 for playoffs correct?

With Boucher putting up similiar stats and having playoff experience is it likely that your coach will not be hesitant to put in Boucher if Bobrovsky starts playoffs off poorly

Who do you want as your #1 for playoffs?

Bobrovsky is better goalie with higher upside but Boucher might be safer option for Flyers

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
IMO it's either 1st round exit or SCFs. Chose SC finals because my glass is half full.
this.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

They have to stay ahead of pittsburgh, imo.
gotta win these garbage games over NYI and OTT

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote