HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hammond confirms jersey change for next season?

Old
03-31-2011, 12:00 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

vCash: 500
so...back to jerseys...

KingsKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Whiskeypete

holy cat fight. this is coming down to subjective opinion, nothing more - nothing less. what one person see's as success the other doesn't.

17 from an outside observer you do degrade the McNall/Gretzky era. you bring up how in the end it moved the organization into a dark era. well the lack of success the team had prior to 88-89 can be seen as an equally dark era. that brief period of say 90-94 then is a bright point in the team's history. in fact a point where they went the farthest they ever have.

the McNall era was and is an example of how not to run a team. trade away young talent and picks for a chance to win 'now'. personally i've never been a fan of that school of thought. the counter is to slowly build through the draft, but it's a slow process. i think when DT first started that was the plan, but they lost course along the way. this was likely due to poor draft results because the scouting and development was poor.

whether you agree or not on McNall's method there is one thing that is for the positive. Kings hockey was moved further into the attention span and awareness of LA fans and hockey fans in general. yes there have up's and down's during this timeframe, but in the long run hockey in LA and SoCal is stronger than it was pre-McNall. the fanbase is larger and more passionate. i remember going to games at the Forum and the place was never sold out and was usually around half capacity. they play in a new state of the art facility, instead of a dumpy 60's era cookie cutter concrete pit like EDM and NYI do today. those are the two most immediate changes that resulted from Bruce's era and the impact post McNall.

Gretz is and will always be my favorite player. does he deserve the statue outside on the plaza? some say yes, some say no. he is a galvanizing player to the world of hockey, just like B Robinson is to MLB. he will be enshrined to some degree by most teams. why shouldn't a team he played for, a team that will forever be ID'ed with him - not have something to show that appreciation. i do agree there should be something for Luc, Marcel and Rogie also. if the team was smart they would create some sort of Kings plaza area they could put statues of players that are instrumental in the team's history.

is the team on the right course? compared to other era's/timeframe's i would say yes it is. but like JT says, "i've heard this more than once as a Kings fan". only time will tell where this team will go. personally a SCF series win won't be what it takes for me to say the team is at it's best. personally it will take at least one SCF series win, repeated Pacific Division titles, Western Conf Finals berths....to be one of the final four teams for years. once the team is to that point of continual success will i think the team is at the top. to many teams either get lucky or squander players/picks/prospects for that one 'shot' at the Cup. to me that is the worse possible thing an org can do, because you mortgage the future and most likely crap out for years afterwards

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 12:14 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
holy cat fight. this is coming down to subjective opinion, nothing more - nothing less. what one person see's as success the other doesn't.

17 from an outside observer you do degrade the McNall/Gretzky era. you bring up how in the end it moved the organization into a dark era. well the lack of success the team had prior to 88-89 can be seen as an equally dark era. that brief period of say 90-94 then is a bright point in the team's history. in fact a point where they went the farthest they ever have.

the McNall era was and is an example of how not to run a team. trade away young talent and picks for a chance to win 'now'. personally i've never been a fan of that school of thought. the counter is to slowly build through the draft, but it's a slow process. i think when DT first started that was the plan, but they lost course along the way. this was likely due to poor draft results because the scouting and development was poor.

whether you agree or not on McNall's method there is one thing that is for the positive. Kings hockey was moved further into the attention span and awareness of LA fans and hockey fans in general. yes there have up's and down's during this timeframe, but in the long run hockey in LA and SoCal is stronger than it was pre-McNall. the fanbase is larger and more passionate. i remember going to games at the Forum and the place was never sold out and was usually around half capacity. they play in a new state of the art facility, instead of a dumpy 60's era cookie cutter concrete pit like EDM and NYI do today. those are the two most immediate changes that resulted from Bruce's era and the impact post McNall.

Gretz is and will always be my favorite player. does he deserve the statue outside on the plaza? some say yes, some say no. he is a galvanizing player to the world of hockey, just like B Robinson is to MLB. he will be enshrined to some degree by most teams. why shouldn't a team he played for, a team that will forever be ID'ed with him - not have something to show that appreciation. i do agree there should be something for Luc, Marcel and Rogie also. if the team was smart they would create some sort of Kings plaza area they could put statues of players that are instrumental in the team's history.

is the team on the right course? compared to other era's/timeframe's i would say yes it is. but like JT says, "i've heard this more than once as a Kings fan". only time will tell where this team will go. personally a SCF series win won't be what it takes for me to say the team is at it's best. personally it will take at least one SCF series win, repeated Pacific Division titles, Western Conf Finals berths....to be one of the final four teams for years. once the team is to that point of continual success will i think the team is at the top. to many teams either get lucky or squander players/picks/prospects for that one 'shot' at the Cup. to me that is the worse possible thing an org can do, because you mortgage the future and most likely crap out for years afterwards
I don't see how calling a spade a spade degrades it. I enjoyed watching many of the players on those teams, but ultimately I think what you say about the McNall era being an example of how not to run a team is 100% correct.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:08 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Whether or not it worked out it sure was fun to be a Kings fan, it was a great run. if not for Gretzky being traded here I probably wouldn't be that much of a Kings fan and I certainly never would've started playing hockey which I still do 17 years later. Gretz had a huge impact on the hockey market as a whole here in SoCal, not just King fans. You can take a map of the US and say he had a part in every team that is in the south right now, that's an amazing accomplishment. Luc may deserve a statue for his service to the Kings but Wayne deserves it for his service to the game. A white, silver and black jersey would make me happy as a Kings fan who looks at that era of Kings hockey as the golden age.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I don't see how calling a spade a spade degrades it. I enjoyed watching many of the players on those teams, but ultimately I think what you say about the McNall era being an example of how not to run a team is 100% correct.
yeah, that terrible era that got the Kings to within 2 wins, several OT posts, a hot goalie, and a ref's terrible non-call of winning the Stanley Cup.

As ... compared to what other successful period in Kings' history?

Bottom line: without Gretzky, the Kings would have never even made the SCF (so you can put your Luc statue wherever you want). I realize that's fine with you, but it was easily the most exciting time to be a Kings' fan in their history. Yes, including now.

It's like you're saying the Dodgers sucked in the '70s because they couldn't beat the Yankees (and an umpires non-call had a huge impact there too, but I digress). They also had some great teams - but I imagine you wouldn't give them credit because somehow the O'Malley's, in their shady busniess dealings, kept them from winning the World Series.

Keep those blinders on.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Can we get back on topic?

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 02:30 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Can we get back on topic?
The black uniforms suck.

Old
03-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
The black uniforms suck.
Sales figures say otherwise.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Well then according to sales figures the Spice Girls and the Backstreet Boys are among the greatest musical artists of all time.

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 03:02 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
... Bob Miller said that when the Kings switched from purple and gold to black and silver in 1988, their jersey sales went from dead last to number one of ALL sports teams.

Any form of black jersey is going to sell well, regardless of whether the crest is the home plate design, the old school Chevy, or a crown.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 03:06 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Well then according to sales figures the Spice Girls and the Backstreet Boys are among the greatest musical artists of all time.
Believe me, to management, as long as sales are high and people are buying it, it's working. Just look at the stands and concession areas of Staples and observe how many are wearing the black unis. They are popular and they sell.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
The black uniforms suck.
Hey - we agree on something!!

Well to clarify, I mean the current black with shoulder / arm piping with homeplate logo. That design and logo is so gawd awful, it makes me realize that the masses will like and wear anything that management throws at them.

For those that like them: don't get too attached to them, since they will change them again in 4 or 5 years.

The "old" black / silver / white / chevy logo are still way cool though. Uh oh...

Old
03-31-2011, 04:10 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Bob Miller said that when the Kings switched from purple and gold to black and silver in 1988, their jersey sales went from dead last to number one of ALL sports teams.

Any form of black jersey is going to sell well, regardless of whether the crest is the home plate design, the old school Chevy, or a crown.
Anything beats the old pajama all Yellows

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Believe me, to management, as long as sales are high and people are buying it, it's working. Just look at the stands and concession areas of Staples and observe how many are wearing the black unis. They are popular and they sell.
Yeah, I was just pointing out that just because something sells and is popular doesn't make it any good.

I personally don't care that much. Just give me some wins and wear whatever the **** you want.

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 04:40 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Yeah, I was just pointing out that just because something sells and is popular doesn't make it any good.

I personally don't care that much. Just give me some wins and wear whatever the **** you want.
The jersey we're wearing when we lift the cup will probably become my favorite regardless of how I feel about it beforehand.

Old
03-31-2011, 04:46 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Hey - we agree on something!!

Well to clarify, I mean the current black with shoulder / arm piping with homeplate logo. That design and logo is so gawd awful, it makes me realize that the masses will like and wear anything that management throws at them.

For those that like them: don't get too attached to them, since they will change them again in 4 or 5 years.

The "old" black / silver / white / chevy logo are still way cool though. Uh oh...
I don't understand the home plate logo or the silver and white elbow area. It's like they wanted to throw in some silver and white somewhere. No more new logos though. This team has been around way too long to be throwing out new logos. Pick one and stick with it! You've got a damn Burger King, a lion with sunglasses, a big crown, a chevy logo, a home plate, most King fans like 2 of those choices, stick with those 2.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 05:19 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I don't understand the home plate logo or the silver and white elbow area. It's like they wanted to throw in some silver and white somewhere. No more new logos though. This team has been around way too long to be throwing out new logos. Pick one and stick with it! You've got a damn Burger King, a lion with sunglasses, a big crown, a chevy logo, a home plate, most King fans like 2 of those choices, stick with those 2.
The thing with all our logos is that there doesn't seem to be any progression towards finding a strong identity. We're sort of like Buffalo or Vancouver, in that we're throwing about a bunch of logos and seeing what sticks. It would be great if as an organization they could pick a concept and work on refining it over the years as necessary. Other teams do this. The original six teams especially. If you look at their logos through the years, they're variations on the theme rather than complete reinventions.

Chris Creamer's Logos:
http://www.****************/league.php?id=1

Old
03-31-2011, 05:32 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
The thing with all our logos is that there doesn't seem to be any progression towards finding a strong identity. We're sort of like Buffalo or Vancouver, in that we're throwing about a bunch of logos and seeing what sticks. It would be great if as an organization they could pick a concept and work on refining it over the years as necessary. Other teams do this. The original six teams especially. If you look at their logos through the years, they're variations on the theme rather than complete reinventions.

Chris Creamer's Logos:
http://www.****************/league.php?id=1
The home plate logo is supposed to be a progression of the chevy logo which I think it is.

What do you think about a combination of all the logos the Kings have used over the years? Something along the lines of the current logo in purple and gold (or the old crown in purple, black and white) on the homeplate logo with the jersey colors black, silver, white? You could use the old KINGS streak decals on the helmets, with the lion with glasses shield on the shoulders?

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 05:44 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Anything beats the old pajama all Yellows
No one wants to see those again. I think that concept involving road whites with the purple shoulder is the best I have seen.

Regarding the sales of jerseys. Take a look at what is offered. It's all homeplate logo crap in the Team LA store. I think that all of the people that want those already have them. They suck.

Old
03-31-2011, 05:49 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
The jersey we're wearing when we lift the cup will probably become my favorite regardless of how I feel about it beforehand.
If (WHEN!) the Kings win the Stanley Cup wearing the homeplate logo, then I'll go out and buy one.

Now the pressure's on them.

Until then, I'll stick w/ my black & white '90s jerseys and CCM black / white / purple jerseys. I'm good.

Old
03-31-2011, 06:38 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
The home plate logo is supposed to be a progression of the chevy logo which I think it is.

What do you think about a combination of all the logos the Kings have used over the years? Something along the lines of the current logo in purple and gold (or the old crown in purple, black and white) on the homeplate logo with the jersey colors black, silver, white? You could use the old KINGS streak decals on the helmets, with the lion with glasses shield on the shoulders?
I guess it is, but it feels more like a new logo. I grew up with the chevy logo, so it feels more iconic to me than the home plate, but I'm sure there were haters when that first came out. I think in time this team will show strong success in the home plate logo jersey and we'll all forget about what it looks like and care more about what it represents.

I'm not sure a mashup of all the old logos would be the best thing, but I'd have to see it first. A combination of the crown with the banner/home plate shape might work, and both icons have history with the team.

Old
04-02-2011, 05:33 PM
KillerKampfer*

I will empty the pro shop with my 15% discount if they go back to the old Chevy Logos and ditch the purple. The new Raiders uniform isn't enough.

I get excited whenever I see those jerseys. Best in the NHL EVER.

I dont want to insult the team but rival fans dont call LA the kings, they call them the opposite. Now the crown that is the team logo, you tell me which chess peice it resembles more; King or a Queen?

Most men don't like purple either. I dont htink the jerseys are that bad but they come at the cost of the best ever. Time to go back to the golden age of hockey in so cal.

Sorry for those who hate the old Jerseys because you associate them with gangster rap and hate black people. Your probably Boston Celtics fans too and hate the Lakers. Get over it. *Kings and Dodgers are better franchises than Angels and Ducks, if you are a Kings and Dodger fan but hate the Lakers its weird. I dont like the Lakers but I respect them like I respect the Yankees, Giants, Knicks and Rangers but look down on the Mets and Jets as minor league franchises in comparison it would be like being a Ranger, Giants, and Yankee fan but rooting for the NJ Nets in hoop and not the Knicks.* The Kings need to make them thier home and away. It will be amazing seeing DD and Kopi rockign the same unis Gretz and Kurri did back in the day.

*I only put forward such opinionated views because if the Kings do what I think they should they will have at least 4 of the 10 highest selling Jerseys on nhl.com. Kopi and DD home and away will all be top 10 guaranteed with the Chevy Logo. Lucic got highest selling jersey before his breakout year when he only had about 10 goals, was injured and was in line for a huge pay rise and the Kings have the potential for a bigger casual merchandise buying INTERNATIONAL fanbase than the Bruins IMO. Great opportunity with no Clips and Lakers next year. Not trying to offend fans who like the purple jerseys, they are nice thirds I am just making my point because the team should not pass on the marketing opportunity to become the NHL's flagship franchise like they were in the early 90s. Do you think neutrals in 93 were rooting for Montreal (most successful franchise ever) or the Gretzky led LA Kings and thier awesome jerseys playing in the Forum?*

Last edited by KillerKampfer*: 04-02-2011 at 09:01 PM.
KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 05:59 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKampfer View Post
I dont want to insult the team but rival fans dont call LA the kings, they call them the opposite. Now the crown that is the team logo, you tell me which chess peice it resembles more; King or a Queen?
I like the chevy jerseys too, but I don't think changing our logo will change what they call us.

Quote:
Most men don't like purple either. I dont htink the jerseys are that bad but they come at the cost of the best ever. Time to go back to the golden age of hockey in so cal.
The Lakers, Suns, Kings (Sacramento), Vikings, Ravens, and Rockies male fans might disagree.

Quote:
Sorry for those who hate the old Jerseys because you associate them with gangster rap and hate black people. Your probably Boston Celtics fans too and hate the Lakers. Get over it. The Kings need to make them thier home and away. It will be amazing seeing DD and Kopi rockign the same unis Gretz and Kurri did back in the day.
Strong words with no grounds.

Old
04-02-2011, 06:03 PM
KillerKampfer*

I also think Kings fans have an obscured vision of their team due to year in year out frustration.

This is the NHL's BEST Western/Wales Conference team. Lets compare the others.

1. Toronto- No longer in the West
2. Detroit- Poor city. EVERYONES rival. Nashville, STL, CBus, Chicago, Calgary, Minny, Dallas, and more consider them thier main rival. Which means less merchandise sales..
3. Chicago- No fans until 2 years ago. Pathetic support for an original 6 franchise until recent. I drove from Reno to New York in Oct 2008 timing my ride to pass through before a game and got in for 5 bucks (box office not another fan).
4. Edmonton- Pronger signlehandedly ruined thier name brand or marketability. No fans outside Alberta. Even if Hall and Eberle turn into stars its too hopeless.
5. Calgary- Canadas team, closest thing to the Kings. Probably #2 over any of these.
6. Vancouver- Boring city in Canada with a lot of money and nothing to do, of course they can charge what they want and get fans. Plenty of people in BC hate the nucks though. You had some Bruins haters in Boston when the team was bad but they disappear when we are good. Nucks haters are priced out. Also a team with less sucess over the years than the Kings. Kings are a better franchise than them.
7. Sharks- Less sucess and history than the Disney team, good support but well see if Thornton goes out first round this year if it keeps up.
8. Mighty Ducks- No fans Cups don't matter. Skim off the popularity of the Kings and how long it takes to get anywhere in So Cal. *I like the Ducks hockeywise and they have iced some great players just they owe thier existance to the early 90s Kings and that teams popularity*
9. PHX- Dead franchise, didnt build the arena in Scottsdale like they should have.
10. Minny- Dumb name, dumb unis no cultural ties bad contracts noone will be buying anything of thiers on NHL.com
11. St Louis- Good franchise but popularity is down, cheapest ticket in hockey
12. Stars- More sucessful on ice than the Kings over last 15 years and in a major metroplitan area but they can't give away regular season tickets. An inferior franchise.
13. Colorado- Despite sucess like Dallas can't give away seats. Inferior franchise Quebec deserves their team back from the angle of fan support.
14. CBus- cant compare this franchise to the LA Kings in any way so I wont
15. Nashville- Good up and coming franchise better support than most this list. Nothing on the LA Kings though.

Why did I compare the Kings to every other West team? Because I want Kings fans to realize that when a person who doesnt live in an NHL city goes on line to buy a jersey people should realize which teams will pull their support regardless of their aesthetic preferences for the merchandise.

Kings are the NHL's best/flagship Western Conference franchise. Stop freaking around with purple jerseys and a logo based on the queen peice in chess. Go back to the badass old school Great Western Forum days. The product on the ice is there and 2 of the top 10 NHLers in Kopi and DD are on the team.

Last edited by KillerKampfer*: 04-02-2011 at 08:53 PM.
KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 06:04 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
The Kings used this logo in the 60s and 70s - just not on the uniforms.
Here is the cover of the first media guide

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote