2011 Off-Season Thread pt 1

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 500
2011 Off-Season Thread pt 1

Didn't watch the Kings game because I already have the team written off for the year.

This thread is for discussing Free Agency and scouting of other players who could possibly end up in Dallas through FA or Drafting. I wanted to put it in one thread to get a possible list of names to watch out for and have it all clearly defined so that we can see where we think the team is heading and compare later on next season.

I'll be honest, I haven't watched any CHL or NCAA games at all this season ( Do plan on watching UND **** the Frozen Four though) So if you guys could list who you think Dallas should select in the first 5 rounds and add a possible video clip or interesting article on them that would be awesome. Do realize however that whoever seems to be the favorite among us to draft, won't be who Dallas picks since they can't draft in the 1st round do to idiots in Joe's cabinet.

Next would be free agents. You're top 5 picks for players to sign with Dallas and why you think they will/should. I want truly in depth opinions from you guys, I know a lot about tons of players in this league and I love to learn even more from those of you who watch different divisions than me.

Finally we come to training camp and homegrown players, this is where I think I can bring my A game for you guys since I watch them all the time. List who you guys would like to see in Dallas next year and who they'd replace, and why.

I think this could make for a really well organized option for us to check throughout the summer instead of sifting through tons of different threads.

I suppose I'll start with homegrown players I want to see play in big D next season. I'll be doing a huge write up on the Texas Stars in that thread after the playoffs end for them to give everybody a pretty in depth look at future Stars.

1. Aaron Gagnon - Guy's a workhorse who gives is all every night and is a true team player. He isn't selfish and often looks for a a sweet dish to people rather than a shot. He doesn't shy away from contact and is willing to get dirty in the corners. I wan't to see him replace Krys Barch due to the simple fact that Barch is nowhere near NHL quality. He can't even win a fight which is what his job description is.

2. Francis Wathier - Big, powerful, bad ass. Guys money in front of the net and will make other teams defenseman pay for going into the corners after a puck, a true energy palyer and gives his all every night. Want to see him replace Sutherby since obviously Crawford and Joe don't want him around anymore.

3. Trevor Ludwig - Most of you know I'm incredibly high on Trevor, he hits like a truck, takes up passing lanes and clears the front of the net. He blocks shots, has an insane shot, and can play a great two-way game. I want to see Trevor replace Woywitka or Skrastins. He can block as many shots of Skrastins, but he hits which is something Karlis doesn't do. He can replace Woywitka because he's smart about joining on the rush and knows when not to pinch deep in the offensive zone. He's just like his dad, punishing defensive defenseman.

4. Greg Rallo - Most of you probably don't know much about Greg. He went to training camp with Dallas last year and is a right shot, right winger. His shot is pure sex, he can pick corners like theres no tomorrow and he's very patient with the puck. He's best when he's on the boards playing like Datsyuk keeping the puck from the other team. He's also awesome on the PP on his off wing. His shot carries Texas OT and PP efforts. I wan't him to replace Jamie Langenbrunner, h'es more hungry, has a better shot, and can play D as well. He's usually a poke check first type of player but if he has to, he'll block a shot.

5. Luke Gazdic - Yep, I said it. Luke mother ****ing Gazdic. Beast among men on the ice. Holds the other team accountable for cheap shots, and polices up the ice. He has DRAMATICALLY improved his skating, passing, and shot. His hockey sense is now decent enough to take over for Barch in the fighting department. Luke is a beast, hits like Hatcher, and doesn't lose fights. He WILL bring energy to the Dallas roster, and he WILL make people pay for picking on little guys. True team guy who needs to replace Barch.

So, what do you guys have to bring to the table?

Last edited by Cin: 04-02-2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Grammar issue.
Old
04-02-2011, 06:08 PM
BigG44

I did the math before, but I don't have it in front of me. As of right now, Dallas has 10 forwards, 5 defensemen, and 2 goalies. If the cap goes up $3 like people have said, including Avery's cap hit, Dallas will need $7.8 million to reach the floor.

Last edited by BigG44: 04-02-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: 10 Forwards not 15
Old
04-02-2011, 09:26 PM
phamJET

dont you star fans wish you guys could have unload richards at the deadline for some prime talent and picks?

especially now that the stars have very little chance of making the playoffs?

Old
04-02-2011, 09:31 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
No.

Old
04-02-2011, 09:38 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamJET View Post
dont you star fans wish you guys could have unload richards at the deadline for some prime talent and picks?

especially now that the stars have very little chance of making the playoffs?
You're an idiot and have no idea what you're talking about. GTFO.

I have 3 wishes for this team in the offseason.

#1: Get a new owner. Ambivalent whether GM Joe stays, some of his trades have been pretty good and he's done well with what he's had.

#2: Fire Crawford. Whether this is from GM Joe or the new owner putting in a new GM who wants his own guys, IDC.

#3: Do not extend Langs and Woywitka. God awful.

Old
04-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

You guys want to see Guletzan and Girard called up to coach?

Old
04-02-2011, 10:16 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Sure, anything's better than Crawford. I'd take Hitch back over him, though not by much. I'm tired of old guys who knew how to win pre-lockout, but haven't been able to adjust since.

To think we could have had Laviolette instead of Craw..

Old
04-02-2011, 10:18 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
The team is going to end up with the same results with both of them as the coaches.
The same late season failures in the regular season happened the last two years under Tippett, the team has to change more of the core players, or they're going to keep seeing the same exact results. No matter who the coach of this team.

Yeah I know they rebounded in the playoffs that one year 08, but still. It's a trend, then the homestand in late February/March every recent season is a failure, that needs to change.

If Richards opts to re-sign or not, they need to trade a core player.

Old
04-02-2011, 10:37 PM
piqued

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
I was just thinking the same thing the other day. I really believe he would've fit this group.

Old
04-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
The team is going to end up with the same results with both of them as the coaches.
The same late season failures in the regular season happened the last two years under Tippett, the team has to change more of the core players, or they're going to keep seeing the same exact results. No matter who the coach of this team.

Yeah I know they rebounded in the playoffs that one year 08, but still. It's a trend, then the homestand in late February/March every recent season is a failure, that needs to change.

If Richards opts to re-sign or not, they need to trade a core player.
So who do you trade?

Old
04-02-2011, 11:16 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Only players under contract next year I would not trade are Benn, Eriksson or Goligoski. Anyone else I'd be willing to trade for the right offer.

Old
04-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Yeah, he's who I was hoping they would have hired at the time. And if he was hired, that would have definitely sped up the parting of ways with Modano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
You guys want to see Guletzan and Girard called up to coach?
I don't know about Girard, but Guletzan definitely over any of the coaches in currently in Dallas.

Old
04-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Robidas really should be the first one out the door. He's small, ineffective in front of the net, gets out muscled along the boards, extremely inconsistent offensively and declining every year. If Dallas could move him for a guy like Wiercioch in Ottawa, one of the kids in Buffalo (a team that may not want to run four young defenders out there next year) Weber, Butler, or Gragnani (depending on the style of defenseman you want back), Ian Cole in St. Louis (another team that may want a veteran). I'm also not saying any or all of these guys are ideal. You may in effect trade Robidas for a forward you move elsewhere, or trade him to fill a top six spot and move someone else for a better defender, ie Morrow.

Yes he's in the lineup every night but my bar for Robidas is extremely low so yeah I'd take a chance that my scouts know what their doing and make a move for a young defender they like. If you're not competing anyway, go with the younger guy with more upside who can learn from the experience. He may turn into Matt Niskanen and flop or he may not but again same old, same old, with no new owner or money in sight gets you another mediocre season with that coveted 14th draft spot.

Old
04-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Chaos

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
First thing, we absolutely have to have a new owner. Without that, Richards will be gone. We wont have the depth to even tread water when guys get hurt. We won't be able to add a big minute defenseman(not a superstar, but a really solid 20+ minute a night guy).

If we do get an owner, then we need to go after a guy like Pitkanen/Ehrhoff/etc in the offseason. We also need to find a 2nd line RW that can actually score. Vincour is nice, but he doesnt have the offensive ability right now, and Im not sure he ever will. A guy like Michael Ryder wouldnt be a bad stopgap until Glennie is hopefully ready.

If we dont get a new owner, I wouldnt be opposed to going into a full out rebuild. Trade Richard's rights at or after the draft, and see what kind of interest is out there for Robidas, Ribeiro, and maybe even Morrow. There's no point in hanging onto those guys if we are going to be in the same position as we are right now.

-Vagrant
Old
04-03-2011, 11:26 AM
txomisc

I just cant see this offseason going well unless we have new owners, which is highly unlikely. Most likely Richards will walk and we will struggle to reach the cap floor. I agree with getting rid of alot of veterans but then you have to consider how do you replace their salaries? I just don't see any valuable free agents all that interested in dallas at this point.

Robidas for example makes 3.3 which is a cap hit you cant afford to lose. How can you make that up? In all honestly I think what ends up happening is we make a few moves just to get us to the floor and the team is basically the same next year as we wait for new owners.

Old
04-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Bank

Hey greetings from Denmark... I'm curious about where you guys see Philip Larsen on next years depth chart?

After the Gogo-trade the need for af PMD isn't what it has been I can imagine. Do you still see Larsen being a part of the solution or is he more a part of a package to get a nice tough D-men... who can also play hockey(*caugh Woywitka caugh*)?

thanks alot

Old
04-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Captain Awesome

I personally think the key with Larsen is that, since the last time we saw him in Dallas, that he has bulked up and improved defensively. He made so many great outlet passes and you can tell he has a ton of hockey sense, I definitely don't think we should trade a guy like him anytime soon, even if it means we leave him in the AHL for one more year.

Point being, I don't see us trading him, and contingent on his improving in his own zone, it seems like he would be good enough to make the team next year. Like you said, this is the club that has Jeff ****ing Woywitka playing every night, Larsen would probably be an upgrade right now.

Old
04-03-2011, 01:26 PM
BigG44

Larsen can't even handle the physical play in the AHL right now. He just recently missed some games after a hit in the first period of one game.

He won't survive an NHL season next year. Unless he really bulks up, he probably never will. That would be a huge waste because he can hold his on in the ice in every other part of the game, and he could probably be a big factor on the PP and exiting the defensive zone.

I just can't imagine this one off-season being enough to gain the strength he needs. Hopefully, this season was an eye-opener for him, and he busts his butt the next few years getting physically prepared for pro hockey at the NHL level. Heck, maybe he'll just learn to avoid contact all together like Zubov. Something has to change though .....

Old
04-03-2011, 01:34 PM
BigG44

Piqued,

You have a superior grasp on the hockey stats produced by Behind the Net (I think that's the site you always quote).

Would you mind looking at Jonathon Ericsson (Detroit) and Boyd Gordon (Washington)?

New owners or not, Dallas probably won't have the ability to pull big name free agents like Christian Ehrhoff, James Wisneiwski, or Brooks Laich.

Ericsson seems like a guy who could excel taking on a bigger role. He's young for an UFA, but I do know most Detroit fans hope to see him return to their blueline.

Gordon is one of Washington's top PKers, he's very good on faceoffs, and I think he could have a positive impact like Burish has. He'd give Dallas 3 really solid forward PK pairs. I don't think you can separate Ott and Benn. They've looked to good together. However, something like Eriksson-Gordon and Wandell-Burish would be a solid improvement for next season.

Anyway, if you have the time, were they as effective as I thought they were based on those stats?

Old
04-03-2011, 01:37 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

I think Larsen needs another year in the AHL. As much as we need him, I'd rather him develop properly.

Old
04-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Robidas really should be the first one out the door. He's small, ineffective in front of the net, gets out muscled along the boards, extremely inconsistent offensively and declining every year.
I'd argue that a lot of your issues with Robidas are due mainly to him being overextended. He's not really a top pairing guy, and we have to use him like one. If his minutes were cut back to be consistently in the 20-22 range, he may be able to hold up for an entire season and play more consistently. Basically, one top-pair level D lets you put Robidas back together with Grossman on the second pair, and then the defense as a whole at least looks respectable. Of course, that doesn't happen without an owner.

Old
04-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Larsen can't even handle the physical play in the AHL right now. He just recently missed some games after a hit in the first period of one game.

He won't survive an NHL season next year. Unless he really bulks up, he probably never will. That would be a huge waste because he can hold his on in the ice in every other part of the game, and he could probably be a big factor on the PP and exiting the defensive zone.

I just can't imagine this one off-season being enough to gain the strength he needs. Hopefully, this season was an eye-opener for him, and he busts his butt the next few years getting physically prepared for pro hockey at the NHL level. Heck, maybe he'll just learn to avoid contact all together like Zubov. Something has to change though .....
Didn't realize Larsen even had struggles in the AHL physically, he needs some Gary Roberts this off season for sure.

Old
04-03-2011, 02:16 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Didn't realize Larsen even had struggles in the AHL physically, he needs some Gary Roberts this off season for sure.
Cin might have to correct me since I don't follow every game, but I know he just left a game early because of a hit in the first period. He didn't play the next few, and then this weekend in his return he scored the OT winner. I know that's a least his 2nd injury to cause him to miss games, but I believe it may have been his 3rd.

When Lukowich was just called up though, Larsen was hurt. He wasn't even an option.

Old
04-03-2011, 02:54 PM
piqued

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
New owners or not, Dallas probably won't have the ability to pull big name free agents like Christian Ehrhoff, James Wisneiwski, or Brooks Laich.

Gordon is one of Washington's top PKers, he's very good on faceoffs, and I think he could have a positive impact like Burish has. He'd give Dallas 3 really solid forward PK pairs. I don't think you can separate Ott and Benn. They've looked to good together. However, something like Eriksson-Gordon and Wandell-Burish would be a solid improvement for next season.

Anyway, if you have the time, were they as effective as I thought they were based on those stats?
Eh, the numbers don't like Gordon. He plays a lot on the PK that's for sure (2.13 TOI/60), but he's also the 2nd most likely forward to get scored on behind the spare-ish Matt Hendricks at 6.44 GA/60. The only regular forward PKer (> 1.00 TOI/60) on the Stars that he was better than in that regard this year is Toby Petersen (7.85 GA/60), who I thought we had already established is a bad PKer, yet he continues to get run out there. Gordon also has a lot of shots go against him while he's killing, which isn't great either.

Brooks Laich is pretty clearly the Caps' most effective shorthanded player when you combine how often he's out there - 2.21 TOI/60, tops on the team amongst forwards -- with his low 3.79 GA/60 which is in Eriksson/Wandell territory as far as effectiveness. You mention that it'd be difficult to sign him, and it would, but he's the player that would help the most.

I'll look at Ericsson later, but I can't imagine why Detroit would let him go??

Old
04-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

GLU,

Yeah I don't like Robidas but I don't see Dallas finding a top pairing guy to play with Goligoski. There's no money and even if we got a new owner Dallas isn't the free agent destination it once was. I'm also of the opinion you can't keep three small guys who aren't great either transitionally or offensively. Goligoski is obviously the best defenseman we have. So one of Daley or Robidas should be gone. Daley's new contract and younger age means he'll almost certainly be kept. So Robidas goes. Replacing Skrastins and/or Woywitka isn't enough.

Closed Thread