HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kick'em When They're Down Edition: Detroit @ Nashville 4/2/2011

Old
04-02-2011, 10:42 PM
predfan98

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
um...some of you bagging on sob for accepting the second fight should read some of his quotes after the game. he challenged bertuzzi....
lol, well so much for my "babcock theory to take him out" ,

thanks.

still think it was a dumb move.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 10:50 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Im not the least bit surprised we figured out a way to lose this game today.

throughout our entire history the Preds have NEVER won a game like this where something was on the line and we could possibly finally get "over the hump" and either win the division or a playoff series.

we were almost there in game 5 last year, and we all know how that ended.

if there is another team with a bigger monkey on its back than us, I'd like to know who it is...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:09 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
Turning point was two lucky goals by Detroit. Has nothing to do with OB.

Forth line was benched cause they didnt manager the puck good, got that first goal on them on bad own zone play and was most of the time locked up in the own zone...

I would bench Smithson too cause he is been playing poor lately... Our best faceoff man lost two faceoffs successfully blew his coverage afterwards and they scored 3 and 4.

We could have this game if Ward scored on 3 perfect chances in third or we connect on late PPs.

Our PP still sucks. No real movement, two guys behind the goal line, D go down very rare. It is so frustrated most of the time, SK or Erat get the puck and the rest of the unit watch them skate around looking for the play...

I think we have more PP goals this season of the rush then of the setup.
I don't play hockey so I don't really understand all the ins and outs of strategy and playmaking, but it does seem like teams who are successful on the power play move the puck around a LOT faster than we do. It's bam-bam-bam with tape-to-tape passes, getting the defenders moving around so you can get a decent shot lane, at least that's what it looks like to me. The Preds on the other hand take for-e-ver to make a decision with the puck; by the time they decide who they're going to pass it to, the other team's PK has adjusted accordingly and any shooting lanes that may have been there before are gone....if the pass even makes it to its target. It's so frustrating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I agree with you on this. SOB did not cost us the game. If losing one fight is going to cost you a 3-0 lead then something is terribly amiss. I think people get it in their head that a guy makes bonehead plays and that's all he does all the time. Klein gets the same sort of deal. Suter got that deal when he was first brought up and it took him almost 2 years on any of the boards to rid him self of that label.

SOB brings one thing to the table for us on the blue line that we lack and that's a guy who protects Pekka night in and night out. He was the only guy out there tonight who was ready to drop the gloves. With Tootoo out, who amongst the forwards is going to drop them? No one. Klein, Weber and SOB will drop them if need be but we can't afford to lose Klein and Weber to 5 minutes in the box. They used their size on a few of those goals and drove to the net. As much as SOB can frustrate me at times, he does have size and the willingness to use it.
I like SOB usually but my issue is the timing of the 2nd fight. I haven't seen the quotes yet of him challenging Bertuzzi to that one, but if that's true it makes the fight even more stupid. Why would you drop the gloves when you just scored to make it 3-0 and your building is going crazy? We didn't need the momentum. We were owning them at that point. Why even take the chance that you might lose the fight and give any kind of life to the Wings' bench? That's why it surprises me so much that SOB would initiate that fight...I assumed Bertuzzi did it just to get his team fired up. What's SOB's motivation? Some personal vendetta? Wrong time for that nonsense.

That's why I like Toots these days...he's gotten a lot smarter about when to fight and stuff. I seriously doubt Toots would've dropped the gloves in the situation we were in, up 3-0 like that. We did miss his energy and toughness today though.

It's just so frustrating to not be able to close out games like this. I don't even feel comfortable with 3-goal leads anymore. The fact that we're doing this over and over scares me, considering what happened with Chicago last year. I so want this year to be the one where we finally break through the first round, but it's not gonna happen if we can't hone that killer instinct.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:43 PM
TediT

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
exactly

And we can't win with rolling just 3 lines, and continue to wear out the top lines...........i don't understand trotz thinking on this...and frankly I disagree with playing like this, and I do blame trotz....
I don't know why this is a surprise to anyone. It's been his pattern for awhile now. When Pereault and Hordichuck were here, he did it to them too. In the playoffs, iirc, Hordichuck didn't play at all, and Pereault had less than 2-3 minutes, I think. We exhaust our primary lines, and punish whichever line/player Trotz wants to bench for the latest mood. It keeps us from rolling fresh, energized players, line after line like many of our opponents will do.

Also, in the last two power plays, Ward had not been able to bury one. Might it have been a good time to put Dumont's experience, or any of the lately scoring youngsters out there with experienced veterans? I'm just saying, being there in the arena that 3rd period was PAINFUL. I didn't blame the players. Maybe I should have... but I felt like they'd been told... be careful, play it "close to the vest", we need a point here.... Instead of ATTACK, ATTACK again.... and ATTACK till the last buzzer sounds.

There were a few blown coverages, and YES, Shane, shame on you for not skating away and leaving Berthugzi alone with his bare knuckles hanging out. But my biggest disappointment is, once again, with a coach that either doesn't believe in ATTACKING for the win, or if he believes in it, CAN'T coach for it. Either way, the result is the same.

I'm sick and tired of hearing how much he does with so little. These guys can compete with any team out there. Somebody show them that it's OK to attack, as well as play a huge defensive game. Our top lines were out of gas in the third period, because we'd ridden them hard with little or no relief from their capable teammates. That won't work in the playoffs.

Wake up Trotz, before it's too late. This team deserves better. The fan base deserves better. You may not believe these guys can get it done, but many of the rest of us do. I'd rather have lost this game attacking with four energetic lines, than picking up one point exhausting 3, and basically telling these guys that you don't trust them to attack.

TediT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:45 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

If SOB challenged Bertuzzi to the second fight, than he's even stupider\more selfish than I even thought. If it's a pride thing that required him to go down without landing a punch not once, but twice, at the cost of all the momentum, then I won't miss him next season.

I have to hope that's not the case.

I've played\coached\watched hockey for 30 years. It's a pretty well-known tenet that you don't fight when you've got a decent lead. No good can come of it, regardless of how it turns out. The Red Wings needed that fight (not something one finds themself saying often) to get their heads on straight and stem the momentum away from us. We had *nothing to gain* from fighting there, and everything to lose.

With that said, we had enough opportunities to win this game, but the PP didn't come through when it mattered most. I think that if there's still a worrisome Achilles heel going into the playoffs, the PP's continued inconsistency(or consistent mediocrity) is definitely going to be it.

Lastly, I hate to say it, but Howard outplayed Rinne tonight. None of the four goals were awful, but Howard made the huge saves that normally Peks makes. When we were able to get a good chance, Howard was there, or in a lot of cases, we weren't able to get to the second chance.

I'm not trying to say the sky is falling here or anything, I'm realistic -- we got a point on a day that the Stars lost and all but guaranteed that winning one of our last three will clinch a spot -- but from a philosophical\morale standpoint, this was a game that we should have won in regulation. It would have been nice to add that particular coal to the fire, cruising into the postseason. Anyone playing the "at least we got a point" card after this one is too easily placated, IMO.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:47 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I wish the circumstances were different, but I understand the limited use of 71/5/33. They're simply so abysmal defensively, and unreliable offensively that having them out there is likely to lead to something bad, at the moment. Another item I'd like to see worked out before the playoffs start.

Old
04-03-2011, 12:01 AM
TediT

If they are abysmally poor defensively, does that fall on Poile or Trotz to have managed to fix that issue? And, please, someone tell me when we're going to actually have a consistent power play?

I'm sincerely asking, because I don't see us going far with 3 lines playing huge minutes, and one line being barely useful, or our power play consistently being predictable to our opponents. Heck, even our fan base is in the stands discussing (quite accurately most of the time) how the power play will go. Somebody, please, fix the problem. Otherwise, the die hard fan base will all die off from heart attacks riding this roller coaster from year to year. What am I saying... from period to period, and game to game, even.

That being said... I picked up my playoff tickets today. Bought my playoff beads, and am taking my still beating heart on into the next fray. GO PREDATORS!

TediT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:11 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
If SOB challenged Bertuzzi to the second fight, than he's even stupider\more selfish than I even thought. If it's a pride thing that required him to go down without landing a punch not once, but twice, at the cost of all the momentum, then I won't miss him next season.

I have to hope that's not the case.

I've played\coached\watched hockey for 30 years. It's a pretty well-known tenet that you don't fight when you've got a decent lead. No good can come of it, regardless of how it turns out. The Red Wings needed that fight (not something one finds themself saying often) to get their heads on straight and stem the momentum away from us. We had *nothing to gain* from fighting there, and everything to lose.

With that said, we had enough opportunities to win this game, but the PP didn't come through when it mattered most. I think that if there's still a worrisome Achilles heel going into the playoffs, the PP's continued inconsistency(or consistent mediocrity) is definitely going to be it.

Lastly, I hate to say it, but Howard outplayed Rinne tonight. None of the four goals were awful, but Howard made the huge saves that normally Peks makes. When we were able to get a good chance, Howard was there, or in a lot of cases, we weren't able to get to the second chance.

I'm not trying to say the sky is falling here or anything, I'm realistic -- we got a point on a day that the Stars lost and all but guaranteed that winning one of our last three will clinch a spot -- but from a philosophical\morale standpoint, this was a game that we should have won in regulation. It would have been nice to add that particular coal to the fire, cruising into the postseason. Anyone playing the "at least we got a point" card after this one is too easily placated, IMO.
this is the only thing that gives me some solace tonight. we actually played quite good for all but the two minute brainfart in the second. If Howard is slightly less awesome and Pekka is a little less mediocre today we probably win this one 5-2.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
I wish the circumstances were different, but I understand the limited use of 71/5/33. They're simply so abysmal defensively, and unreliable offensively that having them out there is likely to lead to something bad, at the moment. Another item I'd like to see worked out before the playoffs start.
I believe you stated earlier in this thread that you played/coached for 30 years. Then you should certainly understand that ANY hockey player getting less than 10 minutes of ice in a game, takes most of the flow away.
I do not think 33, 71, and 5 are abysmal defensively. Yes, 71 lost his man, but that happens to the two top lines as well. The only diffence tonight was that Detroit scored on that one.
74 (SK) had one shift tonight where on the left wall in the defensive zone, he failed to get the puck out on 3 attempts. If that were Dumont or Trotz's other "chosen" scapegoats, they probably would not see the ice again.
You PP has needed help all year, so good luck with that. I think other teams just have a ton more talent and "vision" and that is why their puck movement is so clean and quick...... and efficient!

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:57 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Two things I hate in the aftermath of this game.
One, all the hockey media are highlighting how Detroit has solidified their team after the big comeback. Once again, the hapless Preds blow a game they should win. Of course this is a just criticism, but I get sick of the only recognition this team gets is negative-- with the exception of a few individuals (Rinne, Weber, Suter).

Two, the taste it undoubtedly left in the mouth of the casual fans that came out.

On the plus side, one can hope it causes the team to finally bear down in future games like this to hold the lead. But it seems like we have been saying this all season long.

And I am aware that Detroit is a very dangerous team, you are going to lose games to a team like this playing a strong system with veteran leadership. Does not make it any easier to swallow since we had them where we wanted them.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:14 AM
cleangene

After a night's sleep, IT STILL HURTS. I remember thinking during the first intermission.."we've finally grown up and they've finally grown old". In the back of my mind, the belief was the only way they are going to win would be if they become extra physcial because they aren't as dominate skill-wise as they used to be. Lo and behold, hatchet-man bertuzzi and abdecator start making their marks, and as usual the preds fall into the trap. As mentioned earlier, the more I watched us fight for our lives in our own end then just dump the puck out, bringing the building to "pin drop quiteness", I knew the end result was not going to be good.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:34 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

jesus, a week ago most here were predicting playoff success, and now we are doomed again. we are going to make the playoffs unless we put up a goose egg here in the final three games. even then, i still don't think we miss it. I am not happy the point fairy reared its ugly head and gave two to detroit. But reality is reality. we took a point, playing with house money with them. lost in this is we were 4-1-1 this year vs them. you offer that up at the beginning of the year, everyone would have taken it.

on sob, yes, stupid fight. it happened. probably wont again. trotz was asked about it and he said very curtly, "he is a big boy" didn't seem too happy about it. i am sure it has already been addressed, and honestly, after they scored two goals, didn't really need to be, sob knew. when a team starts to get down, you don't beat them over the head. does no good, esp this time of the year. you correct mistakes, and save the tough practices and yelling and screaming for the good times, and times where effort is not there.

one thing we are not talking about enough is how poor of a game (and to his credit in the postgame, manned up and took responsibility) smithson had. had a piss poor game defensively, lost key face offs, and allowed himself to get tied up when he did lose them.

this is one of the few times, we have had key guys suck. rinne sucked for the standard he has set for himself, smithson sucked on the draw all night. the fourth line sucked and got the justified ice time. sob sat in the box 12 minutes, resulting in everyone else picking up the slack. as much went right in the first 25 minutes, went wrong in the last 38 or so.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:45 AM
predfan98

Quote:
jesus, a week ago most here were predicting playoff success, and now we are doomed again. we are going to make the playoffs unless we put up a goose egg here in the final three games. even then, i still don't think we miss it. I am not happy the point fairy reared its ugly head and gave two to detroit. But reality is reality. we took a point, playing with house money with them. lost in this is we were 4-1-1 this year vs them. you offer that up at the beginning of the year, everyone would have taken it.

on sob, yes, stupid fight. it happened. probably wont again. trotz was asked about it and he said very curtly, "he is a big boy" didn't seem too happy about it. i am sure it has already been addressed, and honestly, after they scored two goals, didn't really need to be, sob knew. when a team starts to get down, you don't beat them over the head. does no good, esp this time of the year. you correct mistakes, and save the tough practices and yelling and screaming for the good times, and times where effort is not there.

one thing we are not talking about enough is how poor of a game (and to his credit in the postgame, manned up and took responsibility) smithson had. had a piss poor game defensively, lost key face offs, and allowed himself to get tied up when he did lose them.

this is one of the few times, we have had key guys suck. rinne sucked for the standard he has set for himself, smithson sucked on the draw all night. the fourth line sucked and got the justified ice time. sob sat in the box 12 minutes, resulting in everyone else picking up the slack. as much went right in the first 25 minutes, went wrong in the last 38 or so.
I think my perception is perhaps the team lacks the "killer instinct" to put things away and bury a team when we have a chance. And has never had this.
And frankly, perhaps this is a big part of "one and done."

And wondered if this year maybe things were different. But yesterday seemed like a game where we should have buried the wings and moved forward to the next step. Yesterday seemed like a chance to build........and we seemed to bury ourselves mentally.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:47 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Token, like I said, I'm not trying to be sky-is-falling about this, but this isn't one that we should just look at the bright side, either.

If we learn a lesson and take that away from this...then I'm okay with it...but blowing sizable leads is becoming a pretty alarmingly regular occurance for us. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned.

Old
04-03-2011, 10:28 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Token, like I said, I'm not trying to be sky-is-falling about this, but this isn't one that we should just look at the bright side, either.

If we learn a lesson and take that away from this...then I'm okay with it...but blowing sizable leads is becoming a pretty alarmingly regular occurance for us. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned.
In years past we owned close games in the third period. We won a ton of games decided by one goal. This season it seems we've lost a lot of games in the third period. We just can't hold on to a lead going down the stretch. Maybe Trotz is leaning too heavily on key players late in the game. I wonder how many more minutes per game Weber, Suter, Legwand, and Smithson are playing this year compared to previous years. Are our studs just worn out when the third period rolls around?

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Last year, we WON close games. We were the come-back kids. We were solid late, beat the odds, and played fabulous hockey. Last year's team was the most together Predators team I have watched. I truly thought it was our year, and it was.....

Until we were up by a goal with less than a minute to go and on the powerplay....Trotz inexplicably throws out Arnott's line, Erat makes a bad pass, the rest is history.....

We crashed and burned in that one moment. We lost that late game edge. I would like to say, "it happens", but frankly, it was the worst choke job I have ever witnessed in a hockey game.

This year - we just don't have what we had last year. We aren't as good as a team. Suter, Weber, and Rinne have all improved. I dare say Suter and Weber are Norris worthy individually, and we all know Rinne is vezina worthy. Legwand, Erat, SK have been fabulous offensively.....And yet.....we are still not the same team collectively. I don't have the answers. I'm not sure what it is. We should be better given the individual strides forward many have made....I would like to think part of it is the sheer exhaustion of our top line players at this point in the season. Part of it is an inept powerplay. Part of it is just rookie mistakes....Then I see the TOI for Smithson and Ward, and I start to wonder if a large part of it also isn't coaching as well.

Lets not be silly, this is a good hockey club. We have three elite players, and overall play a rough, smart brand of hockey. No matter who we face in the first round, we will play them tough. But. I don't think it really matters who we play at this point....It is going to be tough for us to advance when we consistently give up 2 and 3 goal leads.

04-03-2011, 10:47 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

We take a 3 goal lead and change schemes and just like against Colorado and Vancouver it bites us. This team has to forecheck hard it is not (despite the myth) a trapping team, we're just not built for it.

Notice we changed back after the score is tied and start carrying the play again.

I blame this one on Trotz...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
We take a 3 goal lead and change schemes and just like against Colorado and Vancouver it bites us. This team has to forecheck hard it is not (despite the myth) a trapping team, we're just not built for it.

Notice we changed back after the score is tied and start carrying the play again.

I blame this one on Trotz...
Absolutely. I place this loss squarely on trotz

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 01:29 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Until we were up by a goal with less than a minute to go and on the powerplay....Trotz inexplicably throws out Arnott's line, Erat makes a bad pass, the rest is history.....

We crashed and burned in that one moment. We lost that late game edge. I would like to say, "it happens", but frankly, it was the worst choke job I have ever witnessed in a hockey game.
That was no where close to the worse choke job in hockey. An errant pass 200ft away from our goal? It only happens about 20x a game. Plus, for a team that had already been shutout twice in the series, people are awfully optimistic in dreaming what would have happened past game 5.

If you want choke, look at Boson giving up a 3-0 Series lead and to Montreal.

As for Detroit. How many 3 goal leads have we had this year that have resulted in a loss? Someone can chime in because I don't know. Was this the second?

I didn't see a complete breakdown in the Predators. We scored 3. They came back and scored 3, with the help of some nice bounces.

Just put it behind, learn, and move on. Detroit lost their last game 10-3. I can't imagine these boards if that happened here. But they move on. The real hockey is coming up.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 01:33 PM
DarkReign

Quote:
SOB felt Bertuzzi jumped him the first fight, so he challenged him to a second go. That would have been reeeeeal cowardly to not oblige Bert on the second go after asking for redemption to begin with.

Neither went well for him, but neither fight was an ass-beating by any stretch either.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:37 PM
roseyc

If anyone thinks that SOB cost us this game doesn't know hockey. As SOB said in the postgame interview this is playoff hockey. He had to standup because no one else would and Detroit knew this. The Wings out hits and outcoached us. I guess we are not used to scoring that much that early. The pp was our nemesis again. Detroit almost single handedly gave it to us and escaped. We had two pp in the last 6 mins and nothing come of it. We score there and all the screens and deflections are thing in the recaps instead of being the dreaded comeback. Smithson and Legwand played weak games yesterday. Smithson letting Abdelkader get behind him and Legwand constantly getting his shot blocked and looking lethargic. Klein letting Cleary get in front of him. I saw the Wings knocked down our guys down in front of the net. If Weber and SOB and Suter don't do it then it doesn't get done. That is reason Det camped in front of Rinne for all those deflections. We got the one point and that is going to turn out big...If we gotten the one point in the Van game think about it. But we have 3 winnable games but we got to fight tooth and nail. Then let the chips fall where they may. We score early in the second period and then nothing from then on out. Usually Trotz would have locked the game down by then but no need to dwell. Atlanta is the next two points

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:21 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I understand the thought behind SOB didn't cost us the game. I agree with it, but it was the turning point when he selfishly challenged bertuzzi after bertuzzi whipped his butt. then bertuzzi beat him up again. that was the moment the game turned. it snowballed from there.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:42 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
jesus, a week ago most here were predicting playoff success,
And others were saying we must hold Trotz and Poile to a higher standard then supposedly they have been in the past.

Some are now discussing what was the standard we saw yesterday...? And how are the Trotz choices going to work out going forward.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote