HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Anaheim signs Scott Niedermayer

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute
The same team that sucked in 03-04? And also sucked in 01-02?

The Ducks are better, no doubt, but how good they are, and whether they do anything at all, let alone make the playoffs will depend on Giguere.

As far as this signing goes, congrats to Burke on circumventing the cap. There is absolutely no way Rob is worth a third of what he is getting. Burke basically payed $9 million to get Scott.
You're wrong there.

Old
08-04-2005, 03:16 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Sucks to see as a Kings fan but congrats Ducks

Old
08-04-2005, 03:28 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt
Sucks to see as a Kings fan but congrats Ducks
were you responding to my post?

I'm not...i'm just telling it as i see it...

but overall i think the Ducks are in a very bad finanical postiion...they have almost 1/2 their cap tied up in 3 players, and the foundation of Fedorov, Neids, and Giguerre would hardly cause anyone to consider them a Cup contender...they now must rely on a bunch of unproven kids to flesh out the team and make the team competitive...i think the signing neids was very questionable

Old
08-04-2005, 04:40 PM
txomisc

wow. Not only do the Ducks overpay for what Scott brings to the table (noone should make that much with a cap) but they also vastly overpay for Rob Niedermayer who is a third liner at best. Good move guys.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:43 PM
190Octane

Rob Niedermayer with the Ducks was a vastly different player than he was with the Flames. Many of you haven't seen play for the Ducks when healthy. While he's not a first liner, he definitely is a solid second line winger who is great on the PK and under the new rules has the speed to flourish... especially with his brother hitting him with breakout passes.

You build from the goaltender out and the Ducks have one of the best in the league as well as one of the best transition defenses in the league (Niedermayer, Ozolinsh, Carney). Ye of little faith will be surprised this season.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishinator05
Rob Niedermayer with the Ducks was a vastly different player than he was with the Flames. Many of you haven't seen play for the Ducks when healthy. While he's not a first liner, he definitely is a solid second line winger who is great on the PK and under the new rules has the speed to flourish... especially with his brother hitting him with breakout passes.

You build from the goaltender out and the Ducks have one of the best in the league as well as one of the best transition defenses in the league (Niedermayer, Ozolinsh, Carney). Ye of little faith will be surprised this season.
I agree Niedermayer is not the crap he was on the Flames, but he isn't a 2nd liner either, and 2 million is a bit of a steep price for a guy of his talents.

As for the defense, yeah the Ducks have now one of the best D-corps in the league, especially with Niedermayer playing 30 minutes a night, but I still really question who is going to put the puck in the net for you guys. I really think the Ducks are going to struggle to score goals, very few proven scorers on the club. And little cap space to add anyone.

Kind of like the Kings in goal....I guess parity is a good thing, very few "perfect teams" almost every club has holes.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:13 PM
190Octane

I disagree.. R. Niedermayer is a 50+ point player, good hands and speed to burn. He was using his size very effectively in the playoffs and last season until he got injured.

The one thing that does suck is that the Ducks are going to depend very heavily on Lupul, Getzlaf and Chistov next season. My guess at the forward lines is..

Niedermayer-Fedorov-Lupul
Chistov-Rucchin-Sykora
Leclerc-McDonald-Getzlaf
Fedoruk-Pahlsson-Moen

There is a lot of potential, but potential is a dirty word a lot of times. We'll see I suppose.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:20 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishinator05
I disagree.. R. Niedermayer is a 50+ point player, good hands and speed to burn. He was using his size very effectively in the playoffs and last season until he got injured.

The one thing that does suck is that the Ducks are going to depend very heavily on Lupul, Getzlaf and Chistov next season. My guess at the forward lines is..

Niedermayer-Fedorov-Lupul
Chistov-Rucchin-Sykora
Leclerc-McDonald-Getzlaf
Fedoruk-Pahlsson-Moen

There is a lot of potential, but potential is a dirty word a lot of times. We'll see I suppose.
Niedermayer has scored better than 50 pts twice in his career, in 1996 and 1999. The Rob Niedermayer of 2005-06 is a 40 pt guy.

Chistov as a 2nd liner? I rest my case, he has regressed more so than any prospect in the last 2 years. He struggled bigtime in the AHL, how can he be expected to be on scoring line in the NHL.

If the Ducks are going to score alot, its going to be because of Ozo and Nieds leading the rush, these forwards are pretty marginal.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:28 PM
190Octane

How much do you expect scoring to go up, especially for forwards with speed? If nothing else, the Ducks are fast.

Chistov had a bad year last year because he was frustrated about playing in the AHL, he'll rebound and be fine this year. I'm confident that all the forwards numbers on the Ducks will go up with a healthy Ozo, a healthy Carney and a newly signed Scott Niedermayer. Being able to get the puck out of your zone makes a huge difference.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Chistov stunk in the NHL in 03-04, so using the pouting in the AHL excuse is pretty lame.

Jason Spezza was a more established NHL player than Chistov and he went to the AHL and still lit it up.

Chistov just isn't the player people thought he was going to be, he doesn't go into high scoring areas. He is not the next Samsonov like some thought.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:49 PM
caliamad

herb, I think most duck fans would agree with you, the duck's offense doesn't look great...

I do think you undervalue Niedermayer... i'm very happy with that signing... maybe he's not worth, but a guy that big, with good hands and great defense... I'll put him 1st, 2nd or 3rd line... one of hardest working and most accountable forwards i've seen...

nevertheless,we're going to relying on youngsters like Getzalf, Perry, Kunitz, Chistov a lot to be successful this year... our forwards scoring is very thin... but hopefully in the new NHl they'll have room to skate and the defenseman to get the puck to the them in the right time right place.

Burke said he's not done wheelign and dealing... he wants to make our 3rd and 4th lines more physical... how he does that is anyone's guess...

Old
08-04-2005, 11:50 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
As a habs fan I am glad to see Neids out of the eastern conference

Old
08-04-2005, 11:51 PM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby
Chistov stunk in the NHL in 03-04, so using the pouting in the AHL excuse is pretty lame.

Jason Spezza was a more established NHL player than Chistov and he went to the AHL and still lit it up.

Chistov just isn't the player people thought he was going to be, he doesn't go into high scoring areas. He is not the next Samsonov like some thought.
Call it a hunch, but I think Chistov has a good year this year. Granted, I don't have much ammo to back that up with the crap year he had in the AHL but I saw a frustrated player who just needs to get his confidence back. I think he does that this year.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:55 PM
hattrick74

[QUOTE=turnbuckle]e.

As for the Ducks still being mediocre, I somehow doubt it, especially by next year. Nieds, Ozolinsh, Vishnevsky, Carney, Salei?, Popovic and Smid on defence., Fedorov, Rucchin, MacDonald, Lupul, Pahlsson, Leclerc, Nieds, Chistov, Ryan, Getzlaf, Perry up front, Giguere in nets.

problem is that the top offensive lines will have young players, even rookies on them, and no one has a clue how they will perform over an 82 game schedule. so you could either have a 25-30 goal scorer in lupul or getzlaf, or have a 3-5 goal scorer who is burnt out by game #60. heres hoping to the first senario

Old
08-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

I am a huge Niedermayer fan, I think he has been the best d-man of this decade. I am definately not selling him short. The guy is a 3 time Cup winner, a Gold Medal and World Cup winner and a Norris winner. His resume speaks for itself.

I just think the Ducks have some serious offensive issues, the D and goaltending is great but there aren't many teams with a weaker group of forwards.

Old
08-05-2005, 12:42 AM
190Octane

I wouldn't say weak so much as young.

The talent is there, it's just a very young group of talent. How it pans out we'll see.

Old
08-05-2005, 12:57 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

There are a couple scenarios that could pan out whereby the Ducks would not struggle to score:

1. The rookies/youngsters come through. Can't count on it, but it's not impossible. Lupul, Getzlaf, Chistov. They won't ALL suck. They've got to step up some time.

2. This one is much more likely. Power plays. Man advantages figure to play a large role in the coming season, and I can think of few teams that can ice a better five-man unit than we can right now. Living and dying on your power play is not the way to win championships, but it's enough to get you to the dance if your defense holds.

Old
08-05-2005, 01:00 AM
OCD

Niedermayer is incredible, but in reality under the new cap as much as it hurts hardcore devils fans this is probably the best thing that could have happened.

Lou was able to ink BRAF and score Malakov and McGillis...then you factor in Matvichuck from the Stars, and Colin White. You have the excellent 2nd year Paul Martin who is very skilled...and the possible return of Stevens for another year and the Blue line is really stacked, and much more bruising for the eastern conference wars with the Flyers, Leafs, etc...they also have David Hale and Sean Brown in the mix as possible trade fodder or injury back ups.

I think the biggest question I have is will a stripped down jiggy without his micheline man sized goalie pads, be even moderatly effective. I think the jig is up on Goalies like Jiggy who have been making a mockery of the position by inflating their pads to absurd proportions.

So what the Ducks need to address is not just an flat offence, but the fact that they might have a real problem between the pipes...and jiggy is sooo overpriced.

In the end the fans in OC will get their moneys worth watchin the elder and much more talented Niedermayer carve through the open ice, but do they really have any hope of post season success??? I have my doubts.

Old
08-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Plager05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu
Wow, Sportsnet says that Lou offered $7.8m for 5 years... he must be crying.
Link? Lou is a cheap SOB too.

Old
08-05-2005, 02:14 AM
caliamad

Hm... I agree Giguere went crazy with the pads, but do you have no respect for him as a goalie? Garth snow, probably wore as big or bigger... did he ever have anything close to the run jiggy did?

Personally, I think there is more to him than the pads... mostly the duck's intense focus on D... now changing to a more up temp style... we'll see how that plays out...

Although, I think with the Defense in front of him, I think Jiggy's overall numbers will be more a product of Duck's success with this aggressive up-tempo system...

Old
08-05-2005, 02:20 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager05
Link? Lou is a cheap SOB too.
This is a false reputation he gets. Lou can throw money.

Closed Thread