HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why are Flyers fans so quiet?

Old
04-03-2011, 01:47 PM
SEALBound

vCash: 500
Hello my fellow enemies. Watching the Flyers/Rags game and...notice that Zherdev scored. I thought you guys waived him? When did he come back?

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 01:58 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Hello my fellow enemies. Watching the Flyers/Rags game and...notice that Zherdev scored. I thought you guys waived him? When did he come back?
Almost immediately. He was waived, cleared, and reinstated. He was mainly a healthy scratch since then.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 02:27 PM
John Wayne Gretzky

I'm not sure what this guy is talking about to be honest. Recently it hasn't been as loud, but its been loud nonetheless. Every game is a sellout and Ive been to 27 this year including 5 on the road and we were even loud and prominent in the opposing teams stadiums. So unless you sir are speaking from experience, don't speak.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Jumping

Why are the fans so quiet?

Nothing to cheer for is my supposition.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 02:57 PM
hextall shoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne Gretzky View Post
I'm not sure what this guy is talking about to be honest. Recently it hasn't been as loud, but its been loud nonetheless. Every game is a sellout and Ive been to 27 this year including 5 on the road and we were even loud and prominent in the opposing teams stadiums. So unless you sir are speaking from experience, don't speak.
what were your 5 away games

hextall shoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:33 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Don't ASSume I'm a guy.

I'm not the only one who's said it, the out of town play by play guys have said it repeatedly through the season and one of the Flyers' beat writers wrote an article about it the other day. He also talked about how Evander Kane loved playing in Philly. Doesn't sound like the fans I used to know, but maybe it's more corporate these days.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:51 PM
DMBgags

Send a message via AIM to DMBgags
They were plenty loud in the 3rd and OT. I dont know about you all but the intensity then played with near the end made me a believer again!

DMBgags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 04:21 PM
John Wayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hextall shoots View Post
what were your 5 away games
Caps, Rangers, Leafs, Devils and Islanders. I don't know what these announcers are talking about unless its recent games because in recent games it hasn't been AS loud as it was earlier because we haven't had much of a reason to be loud as we are losing. I haven't been seeing these corporate fans in all honesty. We have had one of the best fan bases in hockey since I have been alive.

This all reverts back to the old saying "dont believe everything that you read"

Old
04-03-2011, 04:54 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Caps, Rangers, Leafs, Devils and Islanders. I don't know what these announcers are talking about unless its recent games because in recent games it hasn't been AS loud as it was earlier because we haven't had much of a reason to be loud as we are losing. I haven't been seeing these corporate fans in all honesty. We have had one of the best fan bases in hockey since I have been alive.

This all reverts back to the old saying "dont believe everything that you read"
If it was coming from one source I would question it. However, it's been like this various times over the season and I watch all the games on GameCentre. Today it sounded like the type of Flyers crowd from the past but this season, for the most part it hasn't.

Old
04-04-2011, 04:13 AM
KillerKampfer*

Conceding Overtime and a point to a likely first round matchup and the team that was kept out of the playoffs on a shootout last year is bad. Wrong team to do that crap with punking them last year by a point enabled Philly to go to the Cup finals. That game needed to be won in regulation and Carolina in the playoffs right now, the Rangers do not deserve those 2 points.

I pray my Bruins beat them tonight IN REGULATION, I would love to see NYR or Montreal left out for Carolina *and the Flyers done a first round favor

KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

does anybody else remember the game against the canadians this year (we won 5-2 i believe if you want to look up what game it was exactly) when the crowd was so loud that the announcers (i believe again it was on VS, not CSN) were stunned and only saying, "...wow, i cant believe this crowd..."

the wfc has the potential to be the loudest building in the nhl. come playoff time, it'll show again.

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:52 AM
wahoowa
All in the Game

I was there (for my first ever game in Philly) on Sunday. It was loud, especially in the 3rd period. You could feel the frustration mounting the entire game and I'm sure it's been building over the past few weeks.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:28 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Don't ASSume I'm a guy.

I'm not the only one who's said it, the out of town play by play guys have said it repeatedly through the season and one of the Flyers' beat writers wrote an article about it the other day. He also talked about how Evander Kane loved playing in Philly. Doesn't sound like the fans I used to know, but maybe it's more corporate these days.
This may be true with the lower sections, however there are still loud fans at the top. Also, there have been players through time who have loved playing in Philly while visiting.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:36 PM
FilthyPhlyer

W/o actually being there, it's hard to determine the actual noise levels. I haven't noticed announcers saying it wasn't loud, but if they have that is a disappointment. As Flyers, and Philadelphia fan, I expect our fans to always be the most rowdy SOB's out there, I take pride in it as do most of you. To be fair though, the Flyers are in a bit of a slump and it's hard to muster that kind of noise from frustrated fans. Come playoff time, especially if we play hard for 60 mins in the first game and win it, I expect our fans to be the loudest throughout the entire cup run.

FilthyPhlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:55 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
If it was coming from one source I would question it. However, it's been like this various times over the season and I watch all the games on GameCentre. Today it sounded like the type of Flyers crowd from the past but this season, for the most part it hasn't.
It has not been as loud lately at the WFC- it's hard to simultaneously scream cheers and bite your nails in frustration.
The fans have been cautios till the last minute- it's hard to trust this team anymore (even with a 3 goal lead).

Hopefully, it will turn around in PO.

CSKA1974 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:14 PM
infidelappel*

From the games I made it to in the beginning of the year before moving to NY, it was as loud as ever. Maybe it's because the team was winning and playing well then?

Flyers fans are intelligent. When the team isn't putting forth their best effort, we can tell...and the reaction in the building will reflect that.

Just wait until game one of the playoffs, though. That crowd will be ready to blow the roof off the WFC.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

This false narrative isn't going away.

There seems to be a concerted on the part of visiting play-by-play crews and national broadcasters to include this stupid "Philly is quiet" meme in every broadcast.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:38 AM
John Wayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
This false narrative isn't going away.

There seems to be a concerted on the part of visiting play-by-play crews and national broadcasters to include this stupid "Philly is quiet" meme in every broadcast.
fo reaulll. But seriously, I have been to 3 road games in the past 3 weeks and every time I get "Loud obnoxious *******s, must be from Philly." So apparently it is well known that we are loud and like to carry on. I don't recall broadcasters saying these things to be honest, I mean based on the games I have had to watch at home anyway.

Old
04-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Cartsiephan*

Here is your reason, and for those who do not remember the Spectrum or had the plaesure of going to a regular season game, never mind a playoff game. And those who have never been there or seen a game, the sound that is in the old arenas is MUUUUUUCCH different than they are now. Trying to get to the upper level seats in the Spectrum was a harrowing experience, now in the 3rd after a couple beers.......:

The Philadelphia Flyers' former home rink derives its character from the incredible fans who flock to every contest. The intimate building still rings of the Broad Street Bullies era. From Kate Smith singing "God Bless America" to the irrepressible Dave Leonardi, better known as "the Signman of Philly," Flyers fans are unpretentious in their taste.
"It's a blue-collar crowd, and that's the way they want their team to play," said former Flyers assistant coach Ken Hitchcock.

"They appreciate finesse but still go back to the way things were in the 1970's. They like very physical hockey. If you can go and play physical hockey the first 10 minutes the crowd is behind you. They really appreciate that type of hockey. They want to see a good effort from every player. If you don't perform you're going to hear about it, but if you do they're very supportive."

The Flyers' physical brand of hockey brought them two Stanley Cups in the 1970s, and their rink was the most intimidating in the league. "It wasn't fund going into that building," recalls Walt McKechnie, a veteran of 16 seasons. "When you went into the Spectrum to play the Flyers you knew you were in for a physical contest. We had players showing up with the 'Philly Flu.' That's when a player claims to be sick or to leave his skates at the hotel because he doesn't want to play in there."

The home of the Philadelphia Flyers honors an underdog spirit that originally characterized one of the most successful expansion franchises in the NHL. The statues of Rocky Balboa and the scorers of a key Flyers goal certainly express that spirit. The Wall of Fame inside the stadium gives a lot of team history.

The arena is a three-level stadium, and all the seats inside are red. There is a good scoreboard, but no luxury seats or other newer amenities. However, an improved Spectrum 2 is built next door and is scheduled to be ready for the 1996 season.

Getting there

From the south, take I-95 north to Broad Street exit and follow it to Zinkoff Blvd. and turn right.

The Spectrum history

First regular-season game: Oct. 19, 1967, 1-0 over the Penguins
March 1, 1968, Spectrum Roof was blown off, forcing the NHL Flyers to play the final month of the season on the road and the NBA 76ers to play at the Palestra and Convention Hall.
First overtime game: Nov. 20, 1983, 6-5 over the Penguins
First Stanley Cup finals game: May 12, 1974, 4-1 over the Bruins
Dec. 8, 1987: Ron Hextall becomes the first NHL goalie in history to shoot the puck directly into the opposing net in 5-2 win over Boston
The Spectrum in Philadelphia is changing the name of its restaurant to Bullies. The name is in honor of the Broad Street Bullies, a former nickname of the NHL Flyers. The restaurant also has a new design and format.

"My first NHL game was at the Spectrum," said Craig MacTavish, who spent five years in the Bruins system in the late '70s and early '80s. "Lots of memories. It wasn't a great place to play against Philly back in those days. It was intimidating in there ... there were guys who just refused to play in that building at times."

It was called the Philly Flu, players faking illness because they didn't want to be caught alone in the corner with the likes of Dave (The Hammer) Schultz, Bob (Mad Dog) Kelly, Don (Big Bird) Saleski, Mel Bridgeman, and Andre (Moose) Dupont. "They had some epic characters," said MacTavish. "Behn Wilson was maybe the meanest guy that you've ever played against. People talk about a lack of respect in today's game? Give me a break."

September 30, 2010
Copyright 2010 MediaVentures

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Flyersfan139

What is our home record over the last 10 or so home games? ....yeah that should explain it.

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:09 AM
MsWoof

What was it all season? It's been pretty quiet all year.