HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We legitimately have a chance at the Cup. No?

Old
03-23-2011, 01:16 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Montreal scares me because their goaltending is strong, and they are fast as hell.

Philly scares me because their talent level outside of goal is off the charts awesome.

Washington scares me because they are Washington. "nuff said.

Tampa scares me because of Martin St. Louis...guy seems to love playing against us.

none of the other teams really worry me. id love to play Pittsburgh in the first round.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:30 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
I don't understand what you mean by "no it isn't". I was asking what was meant by anything. Is ottowa winning? That anything can't happen. I'm asking to look at it qualitatively, look at this years situation and make your prediction which you do in the next post. I think anything can happen extends to what I said. That's just my definition. Since I gave you my version of "Anything can happen" you can agree or disagree. I know I feel a certain way but don't expect you or everyone else to though i'm sure some do share my way of thinkinf on this. No real right or wrong answer. Can the rangers go to a SCF or ECF hell yea anything can happen in that regard I feel. Can they win it....(Rubs back of neck)

Give it a few years I think.
Generally when people say anything can happen (especially in the thread that has the title this thread has) they mean all the way. And that's what I was referring to.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:53 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Montreal scares me because their goaltending is strong, and they are fast as hell.

Philly scares me because their talent level outside of goal is off the charts awesome.

Tampa scares me because of Martin St. Louis...guy seems to love playing against us.

none of the other teams really worry me. id love to play Pittsburgh in the first round.

If half the playoff teams are stronger than us, then the expectation is that we'll lose in the first round.

I think that's what the odds makers will be betting on. I am pretty sure we'll be underdogs in the first round, and each round after that.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:58 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

IMO Montreal is the most complete team on this list WHEN HEALTHY

The other teams lack skill in some spots. Tampa and Washington aren't good defensively. Philly has no goalie that is considered above average. Montreal is hurting.

We have more depth then these teams, except philly.

Washington is young, but I'll take out youth over theirs and I'll take Hank over Ovie since we've seen it before.

Tampa has Stamkos and St. Louis, but Lecavilier isn't the same player, Gagne gets hurt all the time, but he is a very good player. Malone is hurt and inconsistent. Roloson is phenomenal for a 41 yr old, but Hank is still better. Their D is also bad outside of Hedman and Brewer IMO, Ohland is old and slow.

Philly has more talented forwards, but w/o Pronger they looked bad on defense. We were able to shut down the Caps without Staal, but Philly gives up 4 without Pronger. What does that say? Don't think Carle and Coburn are great defenders either. They are 10lbs of **** in a 5 pound bag in nets.

Lets not forget Boston. They are as solid as it gets. Have depth at forward and defense which includes size (Chara, Lucic) and toughness (Boychuck, McQuaid). even without Savard they have Bergeron, Krecji, Campbell, Kelly, and Seguin at center. Even though they choked hardcore last year, lets not forget, they had a 3-0 lead on Philly. If they beat them 1 more time, they make the finals IMO. If we can surpass Montreal (3 points behind, even in games), we'd be watching another NY-BOS series. Could be a scary series to get into since they have Thomas who is amazing this season, and if he is off, Tuukka Rask, who has played great against the Rangers over his short career.

We run 4 lines effectively. Washington and Tampa can't say that. Montreal and Philly can, as can Boston.

It comes down to defense and Hank. If we can stop teams like Tampa, Philly, and Washington, we'll win. If we can score on Boston and Montreal, we'll win.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 06:39 AM
ohbaby

Forget matchups! You guys drive me crazy worrying about stuff that doesn't matter.
Whoever we play, will be tough. There are no Atlanta Thrashers making their post-season debut. Anyone who thinks the Pens will be easy, are kidding themselves.

The Rangers just need to play their game and they will make a fight of it.

Key goals at key times is what will win playoff games. And they won't come from Gabby or Stamkos or Ovechkin. More likely Prust, Dominic Moore and Matt Bradley.

Good thing is our 3rd and 4th lines have produced this year, which will help our chances in the playoffs.

And with Dubi, AA, Cally back in early season form, they make IMO the best line for the post-season other than Anaheim's top line. These 2 lines play in the hash marks all night long. And thats the kind of game that wins, tough battles infront.

So whoever we match up with, we just have to stay the course, with our strong D and strong forecheck and we will have a chance.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Dorado*

Team is doing what it takes lately on a nightly basis , but I still can't help but be pessimistic seing our schedule after thursdays OTT game . Boston on a sat afternoon classic followed by Buff and NYI on back to back nights . The last week of the season looks brutal . I hate to say it but I still see us coming in 9 th With the Devils game being the final coffin nail . This has been a nice run but we are peaking which is great but a 6 game slide to finish the season is still a very real possibility . I really hope we play at least 500 the rest of the way .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:01 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Team is doing what it takes lately on a nightly basis , but I still can't help but be pessimistic seing our schedule after thursdays OTT game . Boston on a sat afternoon classic followed by Buff and NYI on back to back nights . The last week of the season looks brutal . I hate to say it but I still see us coming in 9 th With the Devils game being the final coffin nail . This has been a nice run but we are peaking which is great but a 6 game slide to finish the season is still a very real possibility . I really hope we play at least 500 the rest of the way .
What a strange way to answer "no" to the question.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Zats Muccarello
Grinder

Big game tonight if we can pull it off. Miller isn't in net so we have a good chance of winning

Zats Muccarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 06:08 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Again, I will say the same thing I said a couple of weeks ago.

We go as far in the playoffs as we get beneficial matchups.

It really depends on who we play. We play WAS, BOS, TMP, PIT in the first couple of rounds we legitimately have a chance to win a few rounds, I really worry about the Flyers however.

03-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Dorado*

No , we will be playing golf on Apr 10 after a loss to the Devils

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:43 PM
trilobyte

I'm an optimistic Rangers supporter.

No, this team is not sniffing the Cup. That's not being a negative person, it's being realistic. Getting to the dance and winning a round would make me really happy. Seeing the rookies getting a taste of the real season would be great. I wish it would be better for Henrik, but he's still got time for the real push, the one led by a more complete team.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Barbarossa4122*

No way. The team lacks enough skills, imo.

Barbarossa4122* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 08:53 AM
arunnair87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
This may win prophetic statement of the year...

arunnair87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnair87 View Post
This may win prophetic statement of the year...
No way. The Rangers are far too predictable for Dorado's comment to be prophecy.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

this thread should've been made today... April fool's

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:06 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

slip slidin' away...slip slidin' awaaaaayyyy...

you know the nearer your destination the more you're slip slidin' away.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:14 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

This team is too inconsistent to be contenders. They show flashes of brilliance and then they go score 1 goal in 5 straight games (that 2nd last night was in garbage time) and get blown out by a team like the Islanders.

Consistency is what separates contenders from pretenders.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 11:45 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

haha this thread and its title gets funnier by the day.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 11:54 AM
bmw2004

We legitimately have a chance at the Cup. No? Cup of Tea. Yes.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 11:57 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
it should change to a chance at the playoffs

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 01:09 PM
JimmyStart*

There is no doubt in my mind that if we make the PO's we will beat everyone and win it all.

(Keep in mind this is right after the 2-6 blowout to the Isles...)

In reality I just keep thinking Jim Mora.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 10:21 PM
dedalus

As everyone knows, once you make the playoffs, anything can happen. Therefore, if the Rangers make the playoffs, they will be Cup contenders along with every other team that has made it.

In fact, every team that has ever made the playoffs has been a Cup contender.

Last year's Rangers? They missed the playoffs by a lousy shootout goal, therefore they were essentially a playoff team. Thus, least year's Rangers were, in fact, Cup contenders even though they didn't make the playoffs.

Isn't that awesome?

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 02:29 PM
CorpseLW

Who is the top line center for NY?

CorpseLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseLW View Post
Who is the top line center for NY?
Brad Richards.

Matt4776 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Ola

I think we are really close to being able to beat all teams -- but we miss something. Our lines aren't perfectly in balance. We can't experiment now, since we have to win, but I think we need to make a few changes to have a chance.

We do not really have "it" offensively. Dubi-AA-Cally can not bring offense at "will". They can bring it at times, but to go deep you need a line that can come through at any time. Prospal-Step-Gabby is way to easy to shut down. And defensively, we also have a 4th line that you do not want out there later in a game, and that is not good either.

I would like to see Torts try to recapture some of that puckmovement we have on the PP 5 on 5, and to also get Gabby involved in it 5 on 5 too.

If we fall behind in a PO's series and its obvious that we need to shake things up, I think I would try this:
Gabby-Stepan-Callahan//Gabby always played LW growing up, and always play LW for Slovakia in Int. Tournaments. He ain't really scoring right now, not when we need to at least. Step is kind of overwhelmed at times, and to overcome that there is no better wing to play with then Ryan Callahan. I am not saying it would work, but I would try it to get Gabby going. I would maybe even try it with Dubi as a center. I know one thing, and thats that Gabby is not getting the ice on the unit he is now.
Dubi-Anisimov-Zucc/WW//The RW spot on this unit is a solid top 6 RW spot, in which whoever plays there gets a fair chance ot play top 6 RW hockey. Could be a chance for WW or Zucc to excel in.
Prospal-Boyle-Fedetenko//I like the mix on this line. I love Prust, but sometimes Boyle is exposed because they mishandle too many pucks, Prospal would help that.
Avery-Drury-Prust//The 4th line we have now is not a unit you put out there at any time. If Drury comes back and can play, he could center a 4th line you would dare to put out there all the time.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote