HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2011-2012 Florida Panthers Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2011, 04:18 PM
HowdyHowden93*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
you constantly say how bad our development is yet you want howden to make the team next year...... he needs way more developing.
as for Markstrom, yea he was bad this season. I'm not trolling.

as for the player development how come you think Gudy is ready then? what gives you that idea? He played in Juniors this year, what makes you think he's ready? I think he is, you do too. What gives you the idea that Howden isn't ready?

It takes dmen longer than forwards to mature, so obviously you don't know.

Old
04-03-2011, 04:29 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowdyHowden93 View Post

as for the player development how come you think Gudy is ready then? what gives you that idea? He played in Juniors this year, what makes you think he's ready? I think he is, you do too. What gives you the idea that Howden isn't ready?

Gudbranson is a better prospect than Howden. Gudbranson is physically pretty advanced and his game is at a point where he could be an NHL regular where he wouldn't be a reliability. A higher talent level + a more mature game marks him out to be a player closer to the NHL.

Markstrom has done everything to prove he is a Top prospect. His total domination of the SEL at such an age is almost unknown. Sweden is becoming a hotbed for goaltending prospects and Markstrom is leading the way. Markstrom had a difficult first year, but he hasn't suddenly lost the tools in one year.

Old
04-03-2011, 04:37 PM
HowdyHowden93*

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Gudbranson is a better prospect than Howden. Gudbranson is physically pretty advanced and his game is at a point where he could be an NHL regular where he wouldn't be a reliability. A higher talent level + a more mature game marks him out to be a player closer to the NHL.

Markstrom has done everything to prove he is a Top prospect. His total domination of the SEL at such an age is almost unknown. Sweden is becoming a hotbed for goaltending prospects and Markstrom is leading the way. Markstrom had a difficult first year, but he hasn't suddenly lost the tools in one year.
well they could have just drafted Fowler like they should have and we would already have had an NHL ready dman.

anyway...

Markstrom needs another year or two until he's ready. Next years goalie situation is going to be an interesting one.

Old
04-03-2011, 04:47 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:

Im going to number my post so its easier to read because i usually make them into one paragraph.

1. I have watched Markstrom multiple times and his team is awful. Brynas was even better than them and that is absolutely horrfiying. he has had to adjust as a 20 year old to NA style and has not been helped at all considering his team gives all those scoring chances. Even rochester knows this and has put out articles before saying how scary it is Markstrom has played this well. Markstrom has had a bad season considering who he is,the best goalie prospect in the NHL, but that is because his expectations are to be an Elite NHL goalie. Markstrom looks to be taking the same exact path as Rask and look how he turned out. Markstrom was absolutely terrific after he got used to the NA style and his team still sucked, so it showed just how good he really is. he was thrown into the fire and has gotten burned but hes looking as if he is recovering nicely. he's still the best goalie prospect in the league. his size and speed are just too special, im almost positive he will be an elite goalie.

2. Gudbranson was arguably ready last year. He is physically ready to be a shutdown defenseman, but the extra year in juniors has done him miracles, he has found out how to run the PP and is looking as he will develop into a fine and nasty 2 way Defenseman instead of just a nasty shutdown Dman. His shot is a bullet and has an excellent wrister and has figured out when to use both at the right time to get a tip or rebound, he also has crisp passes. Gudbranson is on the boat with me about being NHL ready, while I would maybe like another year in juniors for him, Kingston is an absolute ****hole for player development. I really wish he could go to the AHL but thats not really an option right now. Gudbranson is mature beyond his age, erratic yes, but he won't let anything get into his head as to scaring him at the NHL level. He played like a veteran in preseason and he will be on this team until he retires and hopefully will be lifting the cup over his head as Captain of the Florida Panthers.

3. Howden is a very special case. Yes he is ready to play in the NHL, but that would ruin all his potential. he would have to fight to survive as an NHL player. he has so much potential to be better than just a third line shutdown guy, which would be his role if he was put in now and would be forced onto him, ruining time to devlop his offensive game in juniors. Howden has all the tools to be a scary 2nd line threat with speed and a PK monster. his reach is incredible and his defense for his age is excellent. it's not that he couldn't play in the NHL, but im not ready to ruin all this kid can be just because he looks like he can play now.

4. yes D men take more time to develop into what they can be, but that doesn't mean Myers was ruined because he came into the NHL so soon, it just means we don't even know how truly good he will be because he is still so young, and it will take time to see what he will be in his prime.

Old
04-03-2011, 04:52 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
well they could have just drafted Fowler like they should have and we would already have had an NHL ready dman.

anyway...

Markstrom needs another year or two until he's ready. Next years goalie situation is going to be an interesting one.
we didn't need fowler, we have kulikov. fowler will put up more points probably, but kulikov will be the better defenseman. It's scary how good kulikov is at 20 years old. his hockey sense if off the charts and his defense for an offensive D is unreal. yesterday when he was playing with callahan i saw him make the plays by himself to neutralize threats because we obviously know callahan is useless. kulikov, gudbranson >>> kulikov fowler. it would be redundant to have fowler and kulikov.

Old
04-03-2011, 04:57 PM
HowdyHowden93*

Quote:
we didn't need fowler, we have kulikov. fowler will put up more points probably, but kulikov will be the better defenseman. It's scary how good kulikov is at 20 years old. his hockey sense if off the charts and his defense for an offensive D is unreal. yesterday when he was playing with callahan i saw him make the plays by himself to neutralize threats because we obviously know callahan is useless. kulikov, gudbranson >>> kulikov fowler. it would be redundant to have fowler and kulikov.
That is true, Kulikov is our version of Flower. At 20, yes, Kulikov is a stud.

lol I agree, Callahan is useless. Who do you see on D next year?

Kulikov/Garrison/Gudy/Ellerby/Weaver/Wilson? ?? ?? ??

Old
04-03-2011, 05:04 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
That is true, Kulikov is our version of Flower. At 20, yes, Kulikov is a stud.

lol I agree, Callahan is useless. Who do you see on D next year?

Kulikov/Garrison/Gudy/Ellerby/Weaver/Wilson? ?? ?? ??
im sure everyone can agreed callahan is useless lol. im not sure about our D but im almost sure wilson wont be here. hopefully tallon signs a FA Defenseman.

Old
04-03-2011, 05:24 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
He will be playing for Team Finland two games against Team Slovak. Games are part of Euro Hockey Challenge and will be played at 4/1 and 4/2.

JOL
Donskoi still with Team Finland, at least for a week, 8 new players joined team.

JOL

Old
04-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Sports24-7

Quote:
Im going to number my post so its easier to read because i usually make them into one paragraph.

1. I have watched Markstrom multiple times and his team is awful. Brynas was even better than them and that is absolutely horrfiying. he has had to adjust as a 20 year old to NA style and has not been helped at all considering his team gives all those scoring chances. Even rochester knows this and has put out articles before saying how scary it is Markstrom has played this well. Markstrom has had a bad season considering who he is,the best goalie prospect in the NHL, but that is because his expectations are to be an Elite NHL goalie. Markstrom looks to be taking the same exact path as Rask and look how he turned out. Markstrom was absolutely terrific after he got used to the NA style and his team still sucked, so it showed just how good he really is. he was thrown into the fire and has gotten burned but hes looking as if he is recovering nicely. he's still the best goalie prospect in the league. his size and speed are just too special, im almost positive he will be an elite goalie.

2. Gudbranson was arguably ready last year. He is physically ready to be a shutdown defenseman, but the extra year in juniors has done him miracles, he has found out how to run the PP and is looking as he will develop into a fine and nasty 2 way Defenseman instead of just a nasty shutdown Dman. His shot is a bullet and has an excellent wrister and has figured out when to use both at the right time to get a tip or rebound, he also has crisp passes. Gudbranson is on the boat with me about being NHL ready, while I would maybe like another year in juniors for him, Kingston is an absolute ****hole for player development. I really wish he could go to the AHL but thats not really an option right now. Gudbranson is mature beyond his age, erratic yes, but he won't let anything get into his head as to scaring him at the NHL level. He played like a veteran in preseason and he will be on this team until he retires and hopefully will be lifting the cup over his head as Captain of the Florida Panthers.

3. Howden is a very special case. Yes he is ready to play in the NHL, but that would ruin all his potential. he would have to fight to survive as an NHL player. he has so much potential to be better than just a third line shutdown guy, which would be his role if he was put in now and would be forced onto him, ruining time to devlop his offensive game in juniors. Howden has all the tools to be a scary 2nd line threat with speed and a PK monster. his reach is incredible and his defense for his age is excellent. it's not that he couldn't play in the NHL, but im not ready to ruin all this kid can be just because he looks like he can play now.

4. yes D men take more time to develop into what they can be, but that doesn't mean Myers was ruined because he came into the NHL so soon, it just means we don't even know how truly good he will be because he is still so young, and it will take time to see what he will be in his prime.
Not arguably, he WAS deemed ready by the Panthers. He made the team. The only thing that kept him in juniors was his agent.

Old
04-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Paul DiPietro55

Not sure if this has already been posted.

there's an article on top 10 wingers in WHL and they put Howden at 4th place.

Quote:
4. Quinton Howden, LW, Moose Jaw Warriors (FLA)

While he is listed as a winger, Quinton Howden is also considered by some as one of the top face-off men in the WHL. Indeed, versatility and elite skating ability have made the Oakbank, Manitoba native a much-sought-after NHL prospect.

Selected in the first round, 25th overall, by the Florida Panthers, Howden has also achieved success on the international scene as a member of Team Canada at the 2011 WJC. Howden scored 40 goals and 39 assists during the regular season, both career highs during his third full season in Moose Jaw.
Source: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ingers_in_whl/

Old
04-03-2011, 10:55 PM
FinlandPanther

Howdens season is officially over. He finished with 5 goals and 2 assist in 6 games in the playoffs.

Old
04-04-2011, 03:35 AM
MickOlax

Quote:
Howdens season is officially over. He finished with 5 goals and 2 assist in 6 games in the playoffs.
Sign him now and let him play the rest of the season in the AHL/NHL? He'd get a few games in the Pros without losing a year from his ELC (Right?). That would give him some experience and would make him more ready for next summers training camp. Pretty much the same thing the Oilers did with Eberle last season, and look where he's now.

Any thoughts?

-L-

Old
04-04-2011, 06:42 AM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports24-7 View Post
Not arguably, he WAS deemed ready by the Panthers. He made the team. The only thing that kept him in juniors was his agent.
Or cheap Florida management?

JOL

Old
04-04-2011, 07:57 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Or cheap Florida management?

JOL
Perhaps, but I think this was one of those rare cases where it actually worked out for the best. The year in juniors served him well... far better than spending a season stewing in the losing culture of Panthers hockey.

With money to spend and an unfavorable situation on his juniors team, I expect to see Gudbranson in a Panthers sweater next season.

Old
04-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickOlax View Post
Sign him now and let him play the rest of the season in the AHL/NHL? He'd get a few games in the Pros without losing a year from his ELC (Right?). That would give him some experience and would make him more ready for next summers training camp. Pretty much the same thing the Oilers did with Eberle last season, and look where he's now.

Any thoughts?

-L-
However, Eberle spent two years in junior after he was drafted before he stayed in the NHL. I think Howden should too.

Old
04-04-2011, 02:25 PM
vendetta

vCash: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
However, Eberle spent two years in junior after he was drafted before he stayed in the NHL. I think Howden should too.
eberle>howden by a mile

Old
04-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandetta View Post
eberle>howden by a mile
I don't disagree.

Old
04-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Well folks, it seems that after Friday's 6-2 loss to the Generals, I'll no longer be the one updating you guys on Gudbranson's progress. Instead, it looks like you will be my source of information on his progress, since it's unlikely Erik will be returning to junior next year.

I was happy with his overall performance this year. He started a bit slow after being returned to junior, but picked up his game, had a very good showing at the WJC, and then came back and exploded offensively to finish out the season. He was Kingston's defensive leader out there, most physical defenseman, and proved with his offensive outburst post-WJC that he's more than just a stay at home guy.

Kingston's loss is Florida's gain next season.

Old
04-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Well folks, it seems that after Friday's 6-2 loss to the Generals, I'll no longer be the one updating you guys on Gudbranson's progress. Instead, it looks like you will be my source of information on his progress, since it's unlikely Erik will be returning to junior next year.

I was happy with his overall performance this year. He started a bit slow after being returned to junior, but picked up his game, had a very good showing at the WJC, and then came back and exploded offensively to finish out the season. He was Kingston's defensive leader out there, most physical defenseman, and proved with his offensive outburst post-WJC that he's more than just a stay at home guy.

Thank you for the updates all season long. I hope he turns out to be as good as he's look this season.

Old
04-04-2011, 05:43 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Perhaps, but I think this was one of those rare cases where it actually worked out for the best. The year in juniors served him well... far better than spending a season stewing in the losing culture of Panthers hockey.

With money to spend and an unfavorable situation on his juniors team, I expect to see Gudbranson in a Panthers sweater next season.
Yep, there's no excuses, both sides, he'll get max bonuses.

JOL

Old
04-05-2011, 02:39 AM
MickOlax

Quote:
Yeah I think so too, but Eberle got this "call-up" aka the ELC and got to play nine games for the Springfield Falcons in 08-09 and still played the next season in the juniors.

I'm not saying Howden is better or worse than Eberle, but IMO we should give him this same kind of an opportunity to show what he could do in the AHL. Then we could still let him play in the WHL next year and let him play in an important role in Moose Jaw.

How many games do the Amerks have left btw?

-L-

Old
04-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Sports24-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post

Thanks for all the info all year. You were an awesome resource.

Old
04-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports24-7 View Post
Thanks for all the info all year. You were an awesome resource.
Agreed! Was a pleasure.

04-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Markstrom is #11 and Gud #12 in HF's top 50 prospects.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...nhl_prospects/

Old
04-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Markstrom is #11 and Gud #12 in HF's top 50 prospects.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...nhl_prospects/
Was just looking through our top prospects, and MAN, we've got some big boys coming through the system. Love it! I'd love to have a big, fast, skilled, and mean team at some point. I can't stand the Bruins or the Flyers, but I love how mean they are. I think, by now, everyone knows how much I like fighting (well, in general), but it really adds a dimension to the team when they know they're going to get beat up when they play us. (Not always literally, hitting, really standing up for each other by getting in their faces goes a long way. This team has gravely missed that)

Closed Thread