HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Jon Blum highlights the middle group of HF's top 50

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-01-2011, 09:24 AM
  #1
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,027
vCash: 500
Jon Blum highlights the middle group of HF's top 50

Ellis #31 , Beck #39

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...nhl_prospects/

Top 30 not yet released

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:31 AM
  #2
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,193
vCash: 500
I know Watson isn't making the list ... Blum SHOULD ...

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:39 AM
  #3
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,027
vCash: 500
i wouldn't be surprised if Watson is somewhere in there. I'd think he was ranked too high, but we'll see.

I'm surprised Ellis is so low, but also pleased that Beck made it in.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 11:01 AM
  #4
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,486
vCash: 500
I thought the ranking system followed the top 20 lists. I.e., Blum is the top rated prospect. Therefore, Ellis and Beck cannot be ranked higher than him. This is why we won't see Josi on the list, especially given that Watson was rated as our fourth best prospect. I'm guessing we will see Blum in the next handful of prospects, and this will be our contribution to the list.

Even with Pickard falling off the side of a mountain and Budish ripping up another knee, our prospect pool is outstanding. Geoffrion and Halischuk are at the worst, a speedy, gritty, two-way third line for years to come. The blueline is oozing potential with Josi, Blum, Ellis leading the way......and guys like Ekholm tantalizing us. If we somehow convinced kulyash to come over (never going to happen), we would own supposedly the hardest slapper in the world.....To continue with the forwards, Watson, Beck, Latta all have top 6 potential. Even if all three hit the lower end of their projection arcs, we are likely looking at two top 6 tweeners and a third line pest. What is not to like? Goaltending will never be a problem for this team. Lindback has the goods. Smith has rebounded. Dekanich is steady and likely could fill in as a Mason like backup as soon as next year. Pickard has skills with no confidence. I want to see what Korn can do with him this off-season. Lets not forget about the highly skilled Engren....

With all of those listed above, their is still a lot of question marks that could turn into gems. Patrick Cehlin comes to mind...Aronson = second coming of Hamhuis?....Gabriel Bourque - is he legit?

We should be a top 5 organization again. The only thing we lack is that forward with 1st line potential. It would be nice if we could move one of our blue-chip blueliners for a blue-chip forward....

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 01:59 PM
  #5
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,415
vCash: 500
I'm not much on prospect evaluation yet. Do you guys think Klasen will pan out?

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 02:02 PM
  #6
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm not much on prospect evaluation yet. Do you guys think Klasen will pan out?
i think he could end up being a good player for someone, but i doubt it will be us. Word is that Trotz, and thus, Lambert, aren't enamored with his lack of a defensive game.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 02:10 PM
  #7
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
i think he could end up being a good player for someone, but i doubt it will be us. Word is that Trotz, and thus, Lambert, aren't enamored with his lack of a defensive game.
That's what I was afraid of

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 02:40 PM
  #8
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,491
vCash: 500
I don't think Klasen will ever be a successful NHLer. I mean, maybe he'll put up points on a bottom feeder, but not a decent team.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 02:44 PM
  #9
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I don't think Klasen will ever be a successful NHLer. I mean, maybe he'll put up points on a bottom feeder, but not a decent team.
Based on what, though? The 3 games he got into for 6 minutes?

He's put up pretty impressive numbers in both the AHL and SEL, and has demonstrated a pretty sick skillset. There's no reason he can't have a level of success similar to say, Linus Omark, to use a countryman as a comparison.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 03:15 PM
  #10
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Based on what, though? The 3 games he got into for 6 minutes?

He's put up pretty impressive numbers in both the AHL and SEL, and has demonstrated a pretty sick skillset. There's no reason he can't have a level of success similar to say, Linus Omark, to use a countryman as a comparison.
*13 minutes per game for 4 games

Every time I see him play, he tries to do too much by himself and has zero defensive awareness. Skates with his head down and tries to dangle his way out of every situation. His moves just do not translate well IMO. I'm not saying he won't improve, but as he is currently, he is not NHL material. Funny that you say Omark because I don't think he'll really be much of anything either, but he is also a much better skater than Klasen.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:46 PM
  #11
Kass Effect
Registered User
 
Kass Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Data Corrupted
Posts: 1,193
vCash: 358
looks like Latta and Beck's playoffs are done. Should be joining the Ads.

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:21 AM
  #12
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,906
vCash: 500
Blum #21

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...nhl_prospects/

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:42 PM
  #13
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Even if all three hit the lower end of their projection arcs, we are likely looking at two top 6 tweeners and a third line pest. What is not to like?
Simple-- almost no hope of a true first line player. And to be honest, a relatively small hope for a good 2nd line player.

We still need at least 3 players with true scoring-line ability (ability to create offense on their own) to be on par with top teams in league like a Vancouver, Philly, etc. I see nothing in the system that fits the category other than a few distant hopes.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:44 PM
  #14
cjerina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm not much on prospect evaluation yet. Do you guys think Klasen will pan out?
After watching Houston play Milwaukee and Chicago this past weekend, the best comparison I can make to Klasen is Patrick O'Sullivan. Very similar playmaking skills and puckhandling, neither very physical.

If O'Sullivan couldn't stick in the NHL while also being able to win faceoffs and forecheck, I'm skeptical that Klasen can make it happen. I wish him luck, but I don't see it myself.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:15 PM
  #15
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Simple-- almost no hope of a true first line player. And to be honest, a relatively small hope for a good 2nd line player.

We still need at least 3 players with true scoring-line ability (ability to create offense on their own) to be on par with top teams in league like a Vancouver, Philly, etc. I see nothing in the system that fits the category other than a few distant hopes.
For the longest time Canuck fans projected Kesler to be a good third line two way center. Just sayin.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 02:29 AM
  #16
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
looks like Latta and Beck's playoffs are done. Should be joining the Ads.
I thought that the team underperformed on the whole Friday night. Latta and Beck did okay when they played. Watson wore down as the game went on. Conacher played hard but was repeatedly stopped by bodychecks and separated from the puck. He is too small to play in the AHL at the moment. Foss was okay.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 02:36 AM
  #17
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
*13 minutes per game for 4 games

Every time I see him play, he tries to do too much by himself and has zero defensive awareness. Skates with his head down and tries to dangle his way out of every situation. His moves just do not translate well IMO. I'm not saying he won't improve, but as he is currently, he is not NHL material. Funny that you say Omark because I don't think he'll really be much of anything either, but he is also a much better skater than Klasen.
I agree 100% with this post. Klasen has good numbers, but he is a puck hog, sometimes it hurts the team. He is better in 4-on-4. I did see a D-man catch him from behind a few weeks ago. He isn't blazing fast by AHL standards. He is more of a Barry Sanders type player, elusive and hard to hit. Sometimes he uses too many moves and doesn't really go anywhere. Another guy skates over and pokes the puck away from him and the team gets no shots on an O-zone posession.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 11:57 AM
  #18
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,113
vCash: 500
blum will be eligible for the calder next year won't he? or is this playing too many games for him down the stretch?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:16 PM
  #19
AL-Canadian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
blum will be eligible for the calder next year won't he? or is this playing too many games for him down the stretch?
NHL.com has Blum at 22 games right now, so with tonight's game with the Blues - he'll be under the limit and eligible for ROY consideration next season.

AL-Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:21 PM
  #20
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
blum will be eligible for the calder next year won't he? or is this playing too many games for him down the stretch?
i take that back he's eligible ... playoff games don't count & the cut off is 25 games


Last edited by Joe T Choker: 04-09-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.