HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Fighting with a Visor

Old
04-03-2011, 09:09 PM
varanger94

vCash: 500
Fighting with a Visor

One of my biggest Pet Peeves in hockey is fighting with a Visor. Coburn Boyle Fight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gC4a-FTZa8 I think Boyle needs to work on his fighting this off season this time. There is a Rule that adds an extra minor if you fight with a Visor, but it's never called.
75.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be assessed under this rule for the following infractions:
(iv) When a player, including a goalkeeper, is penalized for being the instigator of an altercation and who is wearing a face shield.

The Rule used to penalize a player regardless whether you were an instigator or not. It was rarely ever called.
There is such a disadvantage when you have to not only pound a helmet but punch though a shield. If it were up to me, both players would have to remove there helmets before fighting.
Can't stand Don Cherry, but he was so right on this. Check out the jacket. Would make a great Penquin Uniform. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suAPLkRzWMM

varanger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:41 PM
broadwayblue

I don't see why fighting with a visor should be allowed. Either remove your helmet or don't fight. It's just ridiculous otherwise.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Balej20*

Fighting with a visor is the Flyers motto.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:49 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Exactly. I have no problem with visors, I think more players should wear them to protect themselves from eye injuries, but when a "tough" player wears it and starts fights with it that's just ********.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:54 PM
ecemleafs

boyle went after coburn....

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:55 PM
John Torturella

In fairness, Coburn didnt start a fight. He drilled Fedotenko with a clean hit. Then got challenged by Boyle. I actually think its worse to force a guy to fight after a clean hit than to fight with a visor.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:58 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I didn't think the hit was very clean myself.

Old
04-03-2011, 10:00 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Also that's besides the point. The fact is plenty of people start fights or act tough and warrant getting challenged, all the while wearing a visor. Have the courtesy to take it off.

Old
04-03-2011, 10:01 PM
varanger94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Exactly. I have no problem with visors, I think more players should wear them to protect themselves from eye injuries, but when a "tough" player wears it and starts fights with it that's just ********.
I agree with you. That's why I believe both players should remove their helmets. This way no one is at a disadvantage. The only guy I ever saw, where it didn't make a difference, was Joey Kocur. He would purposely try to pound an opponents helmet. He actually cracked Bashear's helmet in a fight. I think his hand injury's shortened his carrier.

varanger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 10:13 PM
TrollololBoyle

I think they should take off their skates too.

Fighting in hockey is cheesy, not that I don't like fighting, but when I see guys struggling to stand on their own two skates, twirling around in circles and barely being able to throw a punch, I just think it's stupid.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:19 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post

Fighting in hockey is cheesy, not that I don't like fighting, but when I see guys struggling to stand on their own two skates, twirling around in circles and barely being able to throw a punch, I just think it's stupid.
barely being able to throw a punch????

I dunno about you, but I don't want to be on the receiving end of a lot of those punches.

Look up how many players get face injuries in fights and tell me if those were "barely a punch"

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:22 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I didn't think the hit was very clean myself.
Hit looked clean, but then as Feds went down, Colburn's stick made contact with his face.... Didn't look intentional though....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 06:59 AM
egelband

The hit wasn't bad. Boyle wasn't really justified in starting the fight. That said, I appreciate what he was trying to do. Not the worst thing in the world what Boyle did, except that he can't fight...

egelband is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 08:30 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
In fairness, Coburn didnt start a fight. He drilled Fedotenko with a clean hit. Then got challenged by Boyle. I actually think its worse to force a guy to fight after a clean hit than to fight with a visor.
Totally.

However, the visor is the only thing that looked to give the advantage to Coburn as it really looked like Boyle didn't want to throw any punches so his hands didn't get destroyed.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post

What sport have you been watching over the past 100+ years?

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I feel like an honorable player should take it off...

You could see Boyle was intentionally swinging to avoid the visor.

That doesn't mean players shouldn't wear visor, heck, I wish Staal wore one, but just remove the helmet.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
The only guy I can think of who always takes off his helmet and visor when he fights is Sauer (not to say there aren't others, I just can't think of them right now). I think it shows the kind of player and man he is.

I won't condemn Coburn specifically, as he didn't start the fight, and he couldn't exactly stop, tell Boyle to wait a minute and take his helmet off. Actually, I think that fight shows exactly why the fighting with a visor penalty is almost never called.

The way that fight went, though, is exemplary of why guys with visors on shouldn't be fighting. I'm not sure exactly the best way to stop it, but there's just something wrong about it.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:10 AM
clmetsfan

It's pretty simple. No one should start a fight, or square off evenly with someone while wearing a visor, and I totally agree that doing so should result in a penalty -- looking in your direction Matt Cooke, Mike Richards, Jarome Iginla, etc.

That being said, if someone is challenged and quickly gets grappled the way that Coburn was by Boyle yesterday, then I don't think he's under any obligation to lose the helmet and visor. The person challenging should know what he's getting into and try to remove the helmet during the fight if he doesn't want to hurt his hand. Otherwise, buyer beware.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:27 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Tell me about it. Another prime example that they're nothing more than gutless pukes.

And I always think of this when Mike Richards' toughness is brought up. How tough are you when you're fighting with a visor on and blind-siding people?

Just makes it better when (visor-less) Dubi pummels that pipsqueak whenever we play.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:37 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Players should take their helmets off before a fight. If you don't, it's an additional 2. Leeway can be given to players who didn't have a chance to take their helmets off.

If you have a helmet with a visor and don't remove it, 5 for fighting, the additional 2, plus a 10-minute misconduct.

Instigating with a visor, whether you remove it or not, should be a game misconduct.

Players that fight with visors are *******.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:49 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Players should take their helmets off before a fight. If you don't, it's an additional 2. Leeway can be given to players who didn't have a chance to take their helmets off.

If you have a helmet with a visor and don't remove it, 5 for fighting, the additional 2, plus a 10-minute misconduct.

Instigating with a visor, whether you remove it or not, should be a game misconduct.

I agree as far as the bolded. Not sure I can agree with the game misconduct for an instigator with a visor.

To be honest, I'd say it's another indicator of how much respect has evaporated from the game.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:54 PM
beef 4 lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
The only guy I can think of who always takes off his helmet and visor when he fights is Sauer (not to say there aren't others, I just can't think of them right now). I think it shows the kind of player and man he is.
Agreed. Sauer was the first guy that came mind. true pro.

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

cally has a visor and takes it off.
mike comrie also did the same thing.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/98815

Comrie and Prucha lmao http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/92400

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 06:14 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Sauer always takes his hat off, that's another reason I love the kid.

But basically OP, this is one of the reasons I hate Pat Kaleta. He runs around agitating while hiding behind his visor. ****ing tool

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
No, cheating any way possible is the flyers motto.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote