HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you guys move Christian Thomas?

Old
04-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
It's too bad Thomas came up 1 point short this year. 99 points and 100 points is essentially the same, but it would be nice if he cracked into the triple digits.

That said, he's come into the playoffs like a hurricane. Goal per game, 2.6 points per game, and hardly anyone has scored while he was on the ice.

I always view playoff performances by prospects as more important than the regular season.

The game is tighter defensively (more like the pros), tougher physically (more like the pros) and you are not just running up the points by beating up on some helpless team.

To play even better in the playoffs is a good sign. Let's see how he does in the next round.

P.S. I wanted him to be ranked our 3rd best prospect in the previous poll, so I'm glad he's making me look less stupid every day.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 01:37 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post
even if one or two do, they still should be ok. need that #1 center though.

kreider-richards-gaborik
dubinsky-anisimov-callahan
grachev-stepan-thomas
hagelin-boyle-prust
zuccarello, boogaard

staal-girardi
mcdonagh-sauer
del zotto-mcilrath
valentenko

lundqvist
talbot
I don't think all them rookies are making the team.

I think it's Kreider and 1 of, Thomas, Hagelin, Grachev.

Very slim chance McIlrath makes it.

Grachev actually needs to show SOMETHING before I circle him into a lineup.
Two pre seasons and AHL seasons and nothing...

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 05:46 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
Although Kreider has stepped it up a little lately, I consider Christian Thomas by far the Rangers' best offensive prospect.

I'll grant you Kreider has a nice size/speed package, but I don't see how Kreider will magically find the scoring touch in the NHL when he's struggled thus far in college. It's very rare that collegiate players become top NHL scorers if they're not already tearing it up by their sophomore year. He could turn out to be a nice player, but I just don't think Kreider has the scoring touch to be an elite scoring forward in the NHL.

Thomas, on the other hand, has outstanding stats as an 18 year old in the OHL. Just as importantly, he has continued to improve, which is what you look for in a junior player. Though his dad was a very good player in his day, Christian reminds me even more of Joey Mullen.

I'd trade Kreider before I'd trade Thomas.
As much as I am a big fan of Thomas, I would think Kreider has the potential to be a better NHL player than Thomas.

I would trade Thomas before I trade Kreider.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 1500
If the price is right. I'll trade almost anyone if it's for a premium.

04-02-2011, 06:13 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

thomas is a shooter. we need shooters. no way i trade him.

its been a long time since we had a true shooter in the system. hes not only a shooter but a scorer. he can score goals from anywhere.

tony amonte had it. mike knuble developed it after he left. adam graves had it. shanny absolutely had it. mike gartner definitely had it. luke robitaille had it before he became a ny ranger, and alex cherepanov, i think, had it.

marian gaborik used to be a shooter...

and now, a guy like jeremy morin has the shot. certainly jeff skinner does.

and it appears that thomas has it too.

some guys just score goals. thomas shoots alot. hes not afraid to shoot and his entire game is built around being in the right spot to fire it on net.

goals scorers not only can shoot it, but they know when to shoot it.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 01:31 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

If the draft was held for 19-year-olds instead of 18, Thomas would have gone in the top half of the first round.

I would not trade Thomas right now. I would want a top-10 pick to give him up. Even then I am not sure. I think he has the best potential of any Rangers prospect since Marc Savard.

Old
04-03-2011, 01:35 AM
Pizza

What the Rangers need has been on display plenty of late.

We need more of what Thomas has, but he's a start.

He's not going anywhere.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:10 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
If the draft was held for 19-year-olds instead of 18, Thomas would have gone in the top half of the first round.

I would not trade Thomas right now. I would want a top-10 pick to give him up. Even then I am not sure. I think he has the best potential of any Rangers prospect since Marc Savard.
More potential than Kreider?

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:43 AM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
I would give Toronto

Thomas and our 2011 1st, 2nd (via Washington) and 2012 1st.....

For Kessel and Toronto's 2011 2nd.
How does this make any sense? One of the worst trades in NHL history will end up being Toronto giving Boston two 1st rounders for Kessel. And you want to give even more?

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:45 AM
xxxZENxxx

A player like Thomas is not expendable unless we somehow get a stud player or can't-miss prospect in return. So therefore there is a 0% chance he gets moved.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:46 AM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
How does this make any sense? One of the worst trades in NHL history will end up being Toronto giving Boston two 1st rounders for Kessel. And you want to give even more?
Phil Kessel and John Tortorella........a Match made in heaven. Leave Kessel to continue to fail in Toronro.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 01:01 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
He's an excellent skater. Keeps his head up, is quite shifty. Has a great release. His shot is quite hard, but deceptive, seems to catch a lot of goaltenders unprepared. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in work ethic. Very responsible. The kind of guy who can help your team both on the PK and the PP. Lots of room to grow, but making great strides.

2nd straight 40+ goal season in the OHL. Likely to hit 50 this time.
This seams to carry a lot of weight with NYR brass the past few seasons.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
More potential than Kreider?

Yes, Thomas's upside is higher than Kreider's. I think Kreider may max out as a second liner. His inability to dominate college as a sophomore is a concern because most future NHL stars do it.

Thomas is dominating the juniors as an 18 year old. That's something. He may not be as big, and despite having decent size, he's not as fast. But he has a bullet for a shot, a laser guided bullet.

Old
04-03-2011, 08:48 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Yes, Thomas's upside is higher than Kreider's. I think Kreider may max out as a second liner. His inability to dominate college as a sophomore is a concern because most future NHL stars do it.

Thomas is dominating the juniors as an 18 year old. That's something. He may not be as big, and despite having decent size, he's not as fast. But he has a bullet for a shot, a laser guided bullet.
I agree.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:58 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I don't think so. As much as we like to say it isn't the size is a big factor. Kreider is a physical specimen- size, elite skating, pro shot.

They have equal potential IMO, with Kreider probably having more of a chance to stick in the NHL if both turn out to be meh.

Though I am incredibly high on Thomas.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 10:11 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I don't know about Colborne, I value Gardiner higher and I think he's the only one I'd trade Thomas for at this point.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:33 PM
satrabyk

Toronto does not really have anyone worth trading for that they would trade at this point in time. I mean Kadri, Colbourne those are two that come too mind but if i were the Rangers i wouldint be so quick to move Thomas maybe hell be the Skinner of next year.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:41 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i disagree with Kreider. I think his upside is significantly higher than Thomas'. However I think the likelyhood Thomas reaches his upside is probably higher than Kreiders. Kreider literally has every tool need to be one of the best players in the NHL....all he needs is to put it all together.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:09 AM
CH2

So I'm not trying to start anything here, just asking a serious question:
Is Thomas a floater? It's tough to tell from YouTube videos how he is defensively, but it seems he's normally up ice rather than deep in the offensive zone?

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:20 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:

Hmm, I disagree. Thomas definitely has a better knack for the net, but Kreider's speed, shot and size are world class, and will translate way better then Thomas' best attributes.

I think both will be top 6 players, however.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:29 AM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Hmm, I disagree. Thomas definitely has a better knack for the net, but Kreider's speed, shot and size are world class, and will translate way better then Thomas' best attributes.

I think both will be top 6 players, however.
I think Thomas has a better shot than Kreider.

I'm aware Kreider has a very heavy shot, but I haven't seen the ability to consistently pick his spot like Thomas has shown.Thomas has shown accuracy, goal scorers instincts as well as velocity.

The Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:16 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I don't think so. As much as we like to say it isn't the size is a big factor. Kreider is a physical specimen- size, elite skating, pro shot.

They have equal potential IMO, with Kreider probably having more of a chance to stick in the NHL if both turn out to be meh.

Though I am incredibly high on Thomas.
Thomas is clearly the more well rounded offensive player though... I give the edge to him... If both players reached their ceiling, Thomas would be the more valuable player IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i disagree with Kreider. I think his upside is significantly higher than Thomas'. .
I think people are just inclined to think Kreider has a high upside because of his size and speed... He certainly lacks the offensive flair & nose for the back of the net that Thomas has demonstrated in the OHL.... I think Kreider's offensive game is lacking elements... He's not nearly as dynamic with the puck nor as much of a threat as Thomas is with his shot..... I just think Thomas is the smarter player.....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
Is Thomas a floater? It's tough to tell from YouTube videos how he is defensively, but it seems he's normally up ice rather than deep in the offensive zone?
No, what you're seeing in most of those youtube videos is that he's taking the best shooting positions for his one-timer, which is how he scores. All scouting reports indicate that he is a pedal to the metal kind of guy who plays in all situations in juniors.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
A floater? Not in any sense of the word. He's not likely to be a staple on the PK, but he's reliable enough in his own end.

What you don't get to see a ton of in his YouTube videos is way he can rush the puck up the ice. The kid is an absolute joy to watch when he has the puck on his stick and is leading the charge. He's going to be a hell of a player. I love the thought of him and Kreider on an ultra-speedy scoring line, but I don't think we have a center who can keep up with them.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:49 AM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
A floater? Not in any sense of the word. He's not likely to be a staple on the PK, but he's reliable enough in his own end.

What you don't get to see a ton of in his YouTube videos is way he can rush the puck up the ice. The kid is an absolute joy to watch when he has the puck on his stick and is leading the charge. He's going to be a hell of a player. I love the thought of him and Kreider on an ultra-speedy scoring line, but I don't think we have a center who can keep up with them.
Thanks for the thoughts, I always find myself looking for him on goals against in YT highlights but I never really see him on the ice. I'm glad he's reliable enough in his own end.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote