HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Technical Questions

Old
04-01-2011, 09:44 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Droid.

/argument.

Never saw the point in blackberries once all the new touchscreen smart phones came out. They're just not that versatile. Back when emailing and voice mail was the be all end all of business communication, fine. But now...

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:10 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

In the last 3 months I've had a black berry, a droid, and an iphone.

Blackberry Curve: I liked the phone at first, it was really great. I moved to northwestern Ontario for my summer co-op term, and did not have any reception. When I moved home, for some reason my e-mail and stopped working. I tried everything, re-adding account, re-entering password, talking with blackberry, talking with rogers, no one knew why. All my friends who had berry's received e-mails from the same server, but I couldn't. Beyond that, I liked bbm. I know its not really much more then texting but for some reason I enjoyed messaging on bbm more than texting. Browsing was slow and ******. There are no apps at all, anything besides facebook or twitter costs money pretty well. The reason I got rid of it was because I stepped on the screen and it broke. I was eligible for an upgrade so I went the upgrade route...

Samsung Galaxy Captivate: I got the Captivate and really liked the phone. Android is a very solid OS and it comes with a lot of features. I quickly learned a few things though, do not have too many widgets or run apps very much. It kills the battery like crazy. My phone also seemed to leak data. Honestly, I checked my data usage one day and was at 150 MB. 2 days later, I was at 700 MB. I have no idea how that happened, because in the few years I've had a smart phone, I've never even come close to 500 MB. I suspect it was either an error on Rogers part or my phone was just draining data like crazy. I really liked the browsing experience, I found it an upgrade over my berry. It was really neat how efficiently all my contacts synced up too, and the Swype feature is one of the smartest things I've seen put in a phone in a while. I really hope it takes off and keeps going. The reason I got rid of my android: a week after I signed my contract, I got a job offer in the Northwest Territories where Rogers doesn't have coverage so...

iPhone 4: I have used an iphone/itouch before. I honestly thought I would like the android more. I hated my macbook when I had one, I sold it quickly and bought a PC instead. The iPhone 4 is pretty solid though. The phone feels solid, but I still put a cover on it. i dont know if I need a screen protector. I haven't used it much yet because I have a NWT phone number, and I'm still in Ontario. The browsing experience is good. The app store ist he best of iphone/droid/berry. You can't customize it as much but that is okay. Facetime is neat, the iPhone is popular among my group and we are all moving around the country for work so it will be a nice feature to have. My plan is with Virgin mobile, it is much better than the rogers plan I had. Overall, I've enjoyed the iPhone 4 the most, but very very close to the samsung galaxy. I miss the swype feature that comes with the galaxy a lot though as typing on a touch screen isn't exactly the best thing to do.

Hope that helps

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 02:47 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

THE POINT with Blackberries is messaging, security, great keyboard and easy management for IT. Yeah, not exactly sexy stuff for average consumers.

Web browsing and apps are getting better.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 07:15 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Droid.

/argument.

Never saw the point in blackberries once all the new touchscreen smart phones came out. They're just not that versatile. Back when emailing and voice mail was the be all end all of business communication, fine. But now...
Not only has Blackberry kept up they've gone ahead IMO. They have a solid OS now and their Torch is unbeatable. I use the keyboard which is great almost exclusively but the touchscreen is also useful. The phone works great, emailing and texting easy and BBM is a great free messenger between BB's anywhere in the world.

Bottom line; IPhone is and entertainment tool and BB is a business tool. It all depends on your needs. I know a guy that went from BB to IPhone and back again. It has to suit your needs. IPhone was not for him.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 09:06 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
In the last 3 months I've had a black berry, a droid, and an iphone.

Blackberry Curve: I liked the phone at first, it was really great. I moved to northwestern Ontario for my summer co-op term, and did not have any reception. When I moved home, for some reason my e-mail and stopped working. I tried everything, re-adding account, re-entering password, talking with blackberry, talking with rogers, no one knew why. All my friends who had berry's received e-mails from the same server, but I couldn't. Beyond that, I liked bbm. I know its not really much more then texting but for some reason I enjoyed messaging on bbm more than texting. Browsing was slow and ******. There are no apps at all, anything besides facebook or twitter costs money pretty well. The reason I got rid of it was because I stepped on the screen and it broke. I was eligible for an upgrade so I went the upgrade route...

Samsung Galaxy Captivate: I got the Captivate and really liked the phone. Android is a very solid OS and it comes with a lot of features. I quickly learned a few things though, do not have too many widgets or run apps very much. It kills the battery like crazy. My phone also seemed to leak data. Honestly, I checked my data usage one day and was at 150 MB. 2 days later, I was at 700 MB. I have no idea how that happened, because in the few years I've had a smart phone, I've never even come close to 500 MB. I suspect it was either an error on Rogers part or my phone was just draining data like crazy. I really liked the browsing experience, I found it an upgrade over my berry. It was really neat how efficiently all my contacts synced up too, and the Swype feature is one of the smartest things I've seen put in a phone in a while. I really hope it takes off and keeps going. The reason I got rid of my android: a week after I signed my contract, I got a job offer in the Northwest Territories where Rogers doesn't have coverage so...

iPhone 4: I have used an iphone/itouch before. I honestly thought I would like the android more. I hated my macbook when I had one, I sold it quickly and bought a PC instead. The iPhone 4 is pretty solid though. The phone feels solid, but I still put a cover on it. i dont know if I need a screen protector. I haven't used it much yet because I have a NWT phone number, and I'm still in Ontario. The browsing experience is good. The app store ist he best of iphone/droid/berry. You can't customize it as much but that is okay. Facetime is neat, the iPhone is popular among my group and we are all moving around the country for work so it will be a nice feature to have. My plan is with Virgin mobile, it is much better than the rogers plan I had. Overall, I've enjoyed the iPhone 4 the most, but very very close to the samsung galaxy. I miss the swype feature that comes with the galaxy a lot though as typing on a touch screen isn't exactly the best thing to do.

Hope that helps
This is a really good summary IMO.

Basically if you just want to read/answer emails or text message or if you are for some reason very serious about security, go the blackberry route.

If you are a geek/nerd and you REALLY want to be able to customize your phone EXACTLY how you like it, have widgets, etc.. then go the Android route, but like badfish said, watch the battery drain ...

If you want a phone that works well for the most part but that will annoy you with the lack of customization, then get an Iphone.

P.S: I had an Android for a couple years and now have an Iphone. IMO it really depends on what you want to do with your phone and how much you are going to fiddle with your phone past simple install app, run app kind of stuff.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:28 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Get the HTC Incredible S if you're with Bell. It's the ****, it will be available on april 4th.

Working for Bell, I had the chance to play with a little and damn it's amazing.

That or the Motorola Atrix, it's nice to.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Droid or iPhone. Forget the blackberry.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Gary320

Google Nexus S is coming out on all major carriers. (Fido, Bell, Rogers, Telus) maybe wait for that..

I know I am.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:51 AM
shutehinside

Another downside to the BB is that the playbook isn't especially good either and you need to tether it to a BB to get Internet if not through wifi. Where's as the iPhone/pad and droid you can create a hotspot through any cellular devise and get wifi from their signals.

I hate to say it because their a Canadian company but the only thing their good for is enhanced security. Once they lose that, they'll be sitting ducks for acquisition from a competitor IMO.

I have the iPhone 4 and IPad 2 and Im LOVING THEM. I almost never use my laptop anymore as I can do most everything on my iPad 2 including word processing.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:42 AM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Google Nexus S is coming out on all major carriers. (Fido, Bell, Rogers, Telus) maybe wait for that..

I know I am.
Yeah, I'm waiting out too.. Nexus S should be a nice one!
I have a hard time deciding on wether to get a Iphone with Fido or a Nexus S with Videotron.

I'm also wondering if the unlimited calling and texting + 500mg/mth of data for around 62$ tax in they are offering me is a good plan? I have been with Fido for about 6,5 years.

I don't really like this committing for 3 years thing, but I really need a new phone and I think I'm ready for the nextgen.

L'abstrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'abstrait View Post
I have a hard time deciding on wether to get a Iphone with Fido or a Nexus S with Videotron.

I'm also wondering if the unlimited calling and texting + 500mg/mth of data for around 62$ tax in they are offering me is a good plan? I have been with Fido for about 6,5 years.

I don't really like this committing for 3 years thing, but I really need a new phone and I think I'm ready for the nextgen.
Call Fido and tell them what you're looking for. Retentions will give you a good deal.

Old
04-03-2011, 12:26 PM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Call Fido and tell them what you're looking for. Retentions will give you a good deal.
I did just that, and that's what they offered me. I thought it was nothing to write home about. That's why I'm asking if this deal is worth it? I insisted and the guy at the retention dept. told me that they couldn't make better offers and that they had to tighten the bolt since the last few months because of some new internal policy... I'm thinking about moving to another company if they cannot offer anything better than that!

L'abstrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Habs 1909

It ultimately comes down to "What do you want to do with your phone?".

I personally chose the Blackberry because I prefer touching keys rather than a touchscreen. I also find that BBM really makes staying in contact with others so much easier considering it's IM (there are rumors that BBM is coming to the Android and the iPhone which is pretty cool).
I also have the 1st generation iPod touch and found it to be kind of frustrating to be honest, especially the rotating screen. One thing I do like is the browsing experience - obviously much better than the Blackberry.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
I did just that, and that's what they offered me. I thought it was nothing to write home about. That's why I'm asking if this deal is worth it? I insisted and the guy at the retention dept. told me that they couldn't make better offers and that they had to tighten the bolt since the last few months because of some new internal policy... I'm thinking about moving to another company if they cannot offer anything better than that!
You could get it for $65+tx with Fido, and the unlimited calling would have no zone, unlike Videotron. If that's important to you, it may be worth the extra money... if it's not then Videotron likely isn't a bad choice.

Old
04-04-2011, 12:58 AM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Quote:

The plan im on is wuth virgin and it is 55 a month. 200 local minutes, 1 gb data and 10 numbers canada wide. I was paying more for less on rogers

Old
04-04-2011, 01:49 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
The plan im on is wuth virgin and it is 55 a month. 200 local minutes, 1 gb data and 10 numbers canada wide. I was paying more for less on rogers
How's the reception on Virgin? You use an iPhone?

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:30 AM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
How's the reception on Virgin? You use an iPhone?
Right now, I am still in Sudbury. I haven't had a problem with reception anywhere except in the basement at school. In Yellowknife, bell towers are the only option so I chose to go with Virgin. The reception with my iPhone has been good. Bell tends to cover a lot of small towns well Rogers is always in larger populated centers. My career path typically has me in smaller towns so I will likely stick with providers on the bell network for the time being.

Old
04-04-2011, 11:59 AM
coolasprICE

I need a phone with dual core processor.

quick google search shows recently launched:

LG Optimus 2X

Motorola Atrix

Samsung Orion (Galaxy S2)

Noob question -- would this mean these smart phones can run the same programs like a laptop would with a dual core processor?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:16 PM
habsrbest

Habs games on-line in US

Hi - I'll be in Florida next week during what will likely be the 1st 2 playoff games for the habs. I'll be with my young family at Disney so sports bar option is not practical.

So, what is the best advice for on-line streaming to my laptop?

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.

habsrbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:19 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrbest View Post
Hi - I'll be in Florida next week during what will likely be the 1st 2 playoff games for the habs. I'll be with my young family at Disney so sports bar option is not practical.

So, what is the best advice for on-line streaming to my laptop?

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.
http://www.myp2pforum.eu/forums/29

If that doesn't work, on the day of the game, come back here and look for a GDT (game day thread). There'll be ppl posting links that work in it.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I need a phone with dual core processor.

quick google search shows recently launched:

LG Optimus 2X

Motorola Atrix

Samsung Orion (Galaxy S2)

Noob question -- would this mean these smart phones can run the same programs like a laptop would with a dual core processor?
Somewhat. Dual core means just faster in general. As far as those phones are concerned only the Motorola Atrix is available here in Canada.

Also worth noting, the Nvidia Tegra 2 (in the Optimus 2X and Atrix) is head and shoulder better than the Samsung Exynos chip in the Galaxy S 2.

AND Tegra 2 devices are expected to become Playstation certified, which means they MIGHT get access to Playstation Suite WHICH means access to the entire PS1 library of game and Android optimized Sony backed studio games.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 07:20 PM
LyricalLyricist

So my dad needs a new cell but he's not a multimedia guy. He's 65 and not the most tech literate by any means. He's getting a contract with videotron and they are offering:

Garmin A50
Motorola XT720
Google Nexus One

all for 0$ with contract. It's not really negotiable, it's one of those 3. My father really likes the GPS on the Garmin, but the one question I have in regards to that is if the GPS requires an internet connection(like an iphone type GPS) or is this a stand alone GPS that doesn't require an internet connection?

Other than that, the motorolla seems too multimedia related for him, but who knows. Any suggestions to which is better and an answer to my above question?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
So my dad needs a new cell but he's not a multimedia guy. He's 65 and not the most tech literate by any means. He's getting a contract with videotron and they are offering:

Garmin A50
Motorola XT720
Google Nexus One

all for 0$ with contract. It's not really negotiable, it's one of those 3. My father really likes the GPS on the Garmin, but the one question I have in regards to that is if the GPS requires an internet connection(like an iphone type GPS) or is this a stand alone GPS that doesn't require an internet connection?

Other than that, the motorolla seems too multimedia related for him, but who knows. Any suggestions to which is better and an answer to my above question?
I don't think the A50 has offline GPS, so yeah it would probably need a data plan. (You should double check)

Of the three phones, the Nexus One is the one that is the most well-rounded.

And there are third party GPS clients available on the Android Market that have offline maps.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 02:02 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

help !!!! im usually good at these but maybe my brain is not working well this week or im just an idiot

my stupid flash players is not working well. i can't watch video on youtube or other website or it take too much time to played/download. i look and i have the latest flash player so im not sure whats the issue here ? i was thinking about changing web browser....

anyone ?

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 02:21 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
I don't think the A50 has offline GPS, so yeah it would probably need a data plan. (You should double check)

Of the three phones, the Nexus One is the one that is the most well-rounded.

And there are third party GPS clients available on the Android Market that have offline maps.
That's the problem, not sure where to check. Did a small google search and I basically get the usual irrelevant stuff when you mix "internet+phone+gps"

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote