HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Jesse the placeholder...but for whom?

Old
03-28-2011, 08:27 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Watch the world championships this off-season where the two will go head to head.
Whoaaaa, I'd be some kind of shocked to see him at the WC for Team Russia.

Would love to see it though...

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmoon1106 View Post
Did you see the behind the scenes team photo thing with Konopka? He went to go say hi to Hunter and he was still on crutches, and could hardly get himself up. I wouldn't say he's coming back anytime soon. We don't need him anyway.
Last time I saw Hunter was on a video clip of him in Bridgeport. he had 2 walking crutches holding him steady. I am not going to hate on him, I actually like Trent and feel when healthy he can contribute a good 20-25 goals a season. I dont think he will ever fully be healthy again though.. Eventually even he might consider retiring

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Last time I saw Hunter was on a video clip of him in Bridgeport. he had 2 walking crutches holding him steady. I am not going to hate on him, I actually like Trent and feel when healthy he can contribute a good 20-25 goals a season. I dont think he will ever fully be healthy again though.. Eventually even he might consider retiring
at this time, the best you could hope for trent is that he'd come back and chip in 30 pts from the 4th line while banging bodies. i could live with that. he's too slow (and not getting faster) for anything else on this team- which, aside from grabner and comeau (and to a lesser extent frans)- lacks for great offensive speed.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:25 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I guaran-***ing-tee you that Tavares would NOT find and make use of Grabner like Nielsen does. It's not because he can't, it's just not his style and it would remove him from the puck too much.

Watch closely and you'll see that Nielsen finds Grabner in a manner few on the team can.
Quote:
Chemistry is simply more important than looking at the stats and saying the three best PPG players should be on the same line.
Chemistry and playing styles, as you put it, and I'd agree completely.

Bailey-Okposo would help each other out and the team out. I really think their games complement one another nicely.

I think Tavares can play with anyone. But his game is really about blue-line in, working the cycle, finding open players in the slot, fighting through rebounds, deflections, etc.
I don't think Grabner helps in that aspect and might not mesh with that style of play. That said, with a bunch of meaningless games ahead, why not TRY. One thing that irritates me is the insistence the coaching staff has on the roster and the lines, absolutely no flexibility, even with all the injuries.

Nielsen really makes Grabner so much more dangerous. In my opinion, it's Nielsen (even more than Grabner) who's responsible for Grabner's incredible outburst this year.

Nielsen's strength is Grabner's weakness. I think it's Okposo who's expendable on that line. Okposo's been hurt, he's still getting his timing, but he's got 5 goals in 32 games. Bailey's been scoring at a higher pace than that and fans are so disappointed in Bailey. Let's put things in perspective, Okposo's pace of 13 goals over 82 games is horrible, and this on the hottest line on the team.

I'd like to see the rest of the season roll with these lines:
Moulson - Tavares - Parenteau
Rakhshani - Bailey - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - Comeau
Haley - Konopka - Martin

(I think Rakhshani's earned a call-up, just as a "gift" for his stellar rookie season on a horrible Bridgeport team. )

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:34 AM
majormet

I do believe that the 3rd line spot belongs to either Hunter or Nino.

If Nino does good in camp he gets the spot on that line, while PAP keeps his spot warm on the first line for 2011/12. If Nino fails to make the team, Hunter goes to the 3rd line and we carry a 4th line of Haley/Konopka/Martin. If Nino makes the squad, Hunter plays with Konopa and one of the other guys on the 4th line.

Hunter still has value, he will get pucks out of the corner for Comeau and Bailey if Nino can't make the team. He will be a veteran presence, he still is an asset.

I think the team will go hard after either Pitkanen or Brewer in the offseason hoping to land one, so that the defense is sured up. Hoping AMac is healthy, we would have a solid top 4 of Streit/AMac/Hamonic and the UFA, with Eaton and Jurcina in the bottom pairing.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:50 AM
TennesseeJedd

Where is Hunter in all this discussion, surely no one believes he can be moved or will be moved?

TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:29 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeJedd View Post
Where is Hunter in all this discussion, surely no one believes he can be moved or will be moved?
I think he should be bought out. He really can't provide anything for the team anymore. The last two seasons he's provided the Islanders with no offense and very little physical play.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:11 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I think he should be bought out. He really can't provide anything for the team anymore. The last two seasons he's provided the Islanders with no offense and very little physical play.
It really does break my heart seeing what has happened to Trent Hunter. He's always been a player that I've liked because he's been such a good soldier for a while now. He does have 2 more years left on his contract, but I'm not sure if he'll get bought out next season. I doubt he has any real trade value either. As long as he's healthy, he'll get a chance next year to retain a spot on the Isles. He may be on the 4th line, but don't give up on him just yet.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:38 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I agree. Hunter has no place on this team if we are moving forward. Time to trim the fat off and Hunter is part of that along with Gervais.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Pnut

Islanders Interactive

Saw video on Islanders Point Blank and they did mention Laich, but with Bailey and Neilsen and Tavares, where is the room for another Center??? I can't believe Bailey will suck this much and I can't see the Isles getting this FA Laich after offering more money to certain higher profile FA's and striking out. Need to be a little more realistic on teh FA area

(This is not my idea but does make sense)
.......On this isles interactive they mentioned Joel Ward of the Preds.
http://predators.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8468208
Now if the Preds don't offer him a contract or he wants to test the waters he might be a guy they sign and platoon him with PA Parentau. He has friends on the team....and he would be a good answer to PA. Lets face it, PA is our top rightwing-only because they are not going to want to move Grabner up to make it a top heavy team.
They seem to want to have 2 top lines that are good/great, not one that is great/awesome and the rest are so-so. Joel has scored 17-13-10 goals in 3 seasons and I dont believe that they are all top line minutes. He could come in cheap and be that answer to who is the second top RW with Grabner and send PA down to the third line where he belongs.

Its logical and I agree with Botta.
Flame away......

Pnut

Last edited by Pnut: 03-28-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
(This is not my idea but does make sense)
.......On this isles interactive they mentioned Joel Ward of the Preds.
http://predators.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8468208
Now if the Preds don't offer him a contract or he wants to test the waters he might be a guy they sign and platoon him with PA Parentau. He has friends on the team....and he would be a good answer to PA. Lets face it, PA is our top rightwing-only because they are not going to want to move Grabner up to make it a top heavy team.
They seem to want to have 2 top lines that are good/great, not one that is great/awesome and the rest are so-so. Joel has scored 17-13-10 goals in 3 seasons and I dont believe that they are all top line minutes. He could come in cheap and be that answer to who is the second top RW with Grabner and send PA down to the third line where he belongs.

Its logical and I agree with Botta.
Flame away......

Pnut
Two things:
- Whereas Ward is interesting to some extent, there was never much expected of him at the NHL level and he hasn't exactly been improving in the goal-scoring department in the course of time. I see no logic in thinking this guy would be a good answer on line 1, or even a better one than Parenteau. Basically, if this team wants to get all it can out of Tavares, we're eventually gonna need a creative pass-and-shoot guy la Hossa or Gaborik. We're not gonna be able to sign that player, so we need to draft and develop one. Maybe Petrov is eventually that player? But if you're gonna argue to grab Joel Ward, then we should take a step back and realize we already that player: his name is Trent Hunter.
- As we discussed above, are folks being realllll honest with themselves, when they suggest/mention placing Grabner with JT just because he's got the 30 goals? Do folks reallyyyyy think that Grabner would gain more from playing alongside the slower, puck-possession-oriented game of a John Tavares than he does from playing with the slippy and sly think-pass-first Nielsen??? Those two central Europeans just seem made for each other. I'm sure the players on the team would confirm this. Heck, as Redbull mentioned, much would indicate that Grabner's success wouldn't necessary have been possible had he not eventually landed with Nielsen. That's a duo that's not worth separating - even if it could be tried now that playoff elimination is settled.

Old
03-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Pnut

Quote:
Two things:
- Whereas Ward is interesting to some extent, there was never much expected of him at the NHL level and he hasn't exactly been improving in the goal-scoring department in the course of time. I see no logic in thinking this guy would be a good answer on line 1, or even a better one than Parenteau. Basically, if this team wants to get all it can out of Tavares, we're eventually gonna need a creative pass-and-shoot guy la Hossa or Gaborik. We're not gonna be able to sign that player, so we need to draft and develop one. Maybe Petrov is eventually that player? But if you're gonna argue to grab Joel Ward, then we should take a step back and realize we already that player: his name is Trent Hunter.
I think I should have made myself clearer, and say that maybe Ward is not going to set the world on fire, but for this organization the M.O. is to swing for the fences on FA day, but to settle for a guy like that (Joel). I only thought it was an idea because he seems to do it with lesser talent than say JT and Moulson (wow, as a side note I can't remember the last time I could claim that)
Petrov or maybe Nino could be that guy???I don't know I am asking myself, but needless to say that is a good point.
Quote:
- As we discussed above, are folks being realllll honest with themselves, when they suggest/mention placing Grabner with JT just because he's got the 30 goals? Do folks reallyyyyy think that Grabner would gain more from playing alongside the slower, puck-possession-oriented game of a John Tavares than he does from playing with the slippy and sly think-pass-first Nielsen??? Those two central Europeans just seem made for each other. I'm sure the players on the team would confirm this. Heck, as Redbull mentioned, much would indicate that Grabner's success wouldn't necessary have been possible had he not eventually landed with Nielsen. That's a duo that's not worth separating - even if it could be tried now that playoff elimination is settled.
Ok I agree 100%, I never really thought of the chemistry Nielsen has with Grabs, because of the speed of Grabner + Nielsen leaning towards passing a lot.
It sure is exiting times around here. It used to be on this team there would be a lot of pass first, shoot later guys and no one to pass to or the "me no play defense" forward or the pass it around for the perfect shot on the power play players, but now those types of guys aren't here and that type of team isnt here anymore. And to me that is just as exciting/important as the youthful exuberance or the breakaway speed of Grabs or the skills of our young dmen in Mac and Hams. (hey that's a good name). It is great and thanks for letting me see that.

Pnut

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 07:51 AM
camper

Might be building a paper tiger here. I still doubt Caps. was coaching these guys to success rather they took hold of the situation with a longer leash and just played hockey.

camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:14 AM
majormet

Quote:
Two things:
Joel Ward would be a great pickup for the 3rd line, he is a vastly underrated player who would compliment Bailey and Comeau well.

As for Laich, I love him as a player, there is no place for him on the Island, since he is a center and we are actually very strong at center. Okposo is a version of Laich anyway.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:33 AM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
Joel Ward would be a great pickup for the 3rd line, he is a vastly underrated player who would compliment Bailey and Comeau well.

As for Laich, I love him as a player, there is no place for him on the Island, since he is a center and we are actually very strong at center. Okposo is a version of Laich anyway.
Agreed on both accounts, I am a big fan of Ward

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
After watching the game against the Flyers tonight, it occurred to me that while Jesse Joenssu is being given a chance on the Bailey line, he's really just a placeholder.
He's 23. Why be so eager to cut bait when he's played so few NHL games? The Isles can afford to be patient with him. Many were ready to give up on Frans Neilsen a couple seasons ago.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Grizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
He's 23. Why be so eager to cut bait when he's played so few NHL games? The Isles can afford to be patient with him. Many were ready to give up on Frans Neilsen a couple seasons ago.
Many are quick to give up on everything around here.

Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Isles72

time is running out on Jesse but I'd still hope he stays on board with a 2 way deal .

he brings nice depth/size to the bottom 6 for injury fill ins.

maybe he can make a steadier income overseas , who knows.

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:57 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
JJ will not submit to the AHL again...at least I doubt it. When the Isles don't sign him, let's not lambaste Garth because some of his draft picks pushed JJ out of a role on the big club. Of course the Islanders want to keep JJ. But does JJ want another two-way deal?

JJ is not, nor will he ever be first line material- I think we can all agree on that.

I also think it would be hard to find someone to support the notion JJ could play a regular shift as a second line winger.

He scores on a screen shot, and now his ability level has somehow changed?

Sure a few seasons back it was JJ and Okposo that held all of our hope. But that was before the 2008 draft. Things have changed. Although Okposo is in no danger of disappearing to the AHL, you can see the difference in high end skill with the additions of players like Bailey, Tavares, and now Grabner. One day, KO may just find himself on the third line, especially if he continues to struggle with the 20 goal barrier. But I digress...

Because JJ tops out as a third liner, and because we have guys with size and higher overall skill-sets on the way, he unfortunately is expendable.

There are no spots open on the first two lines- I believe what we see now will be the same as what we see there on opening night 2011-2012.

There, the third line should have Nino or Petrov added, with JJ on the outside looking in.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:11 PM
TeamKidd

Quote:
JJ will not submit to the AHL again...at least I doubt it. When the Isles don't sign him, let's not lambaste Garth because some of his draft picks pushed JJ out of a role on the big club. Of course the Islanders want to keep JJ. But does JJ want another two-way deal?

JJ is not, nor will he ever be first line material- I think we can all agree on that.

I also think it would be hard to find someone to support the notion JJ could play a regular shift as a second line winger.

He scores on a screen shot, and now his ability level has somehow changed?

Sure a few seasons back it was JJ and Okposo that held all of our hope. But that was before the 2008 draft. Things have changed. Although Okposo is in no danger of disappearing to the AHL, you can see the difference in high end skill with the additions of players like Bailey, Tavares, and now Grabner. One day, KO may just find himself on the third line, especially if he continues to struggle with the 20 goal barrier. But I digress...

Because JJ tops out as a third liner, and because we have guys with size and higher overall skill-sets on the way, he unfortunately is expendable.

There are no spots open on the first two lines- I believe what we see now will be the same as what we see there on opening night 2011-2012.

There, the third line should have Nino or Petrov added, with JJ on the outside looking in.
The ONLY way i would be ok with JJ on the team with a one way deal is if that was coupled with martin going back to the AHL to get first line minutes. I STILL think martin has untapped scoring ability and to allow him to develop into our version of Tucker or Avery something would be great.

I could see JJ on the fourth line and then bumped up to the third WHEN the injuries hit.

That being said, for me, Nino starts the year on the third line.

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

If folks are worried about the 50 contract issue, then you really have to ask yourself if Jesse is worth investing another contract into when it is clear that he can only contribute in a very limited amount in this league.

Save for a good game or two, the fact is that this guy has not shown himself to be an NHL hockey player. That might be different when he's 28... but no reason to keep him under contract until then. We have better playsers coming up through the ranks and there are much better players to give that contract to amongst this summer's UFA crop.

Old
04-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Isles72

Quote:
Petrov has one year left on his khl deal so he'll be looking from the outside as well .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
And there we go. Dump a 23 year old for the kids.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Handlanger

Quote:
And there we go. Dump a 23 year old for the kids.
Age aside, but seriously, JJ had several chances in the NHL and showed little to nothing. He had a very, very good game in Carolina, even if he would have not scored a goal, but the thing is: It's the only good game I've seen from him so far.... if you don't score, then at least backcheck, create chances, create room, I've seen none of these things from JJ except that one game...

And his statement: "I just want to remain for the remainder of the season and play good so I have a job next year" speaks volumes..... Basically mean: "mhhm, my contract is running out, so in the next couple of games I'm really bringing some effort to get another contract, after this, I will get back to the usual lazy JJ mode".

Handlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlanger View Post
Age aside, but seriously, JJ had several chances in the NHL and showed little to nothing. He had a very, very good game in Carolina, even if he would have not scored a goal, but the thing is: It's the only good game I've seen from him so far.... if you don't score, then at least backcheck, create chances, create room, I've seen none of these things from JJ except that one game...

And his statement: "I just want to remain for the remainder of the season and play good so I have a job next year" speaks volumes..... Basically mean: "mhhm, my contract is running out, so in the next couple of games I'm really bringing some effort to get another contract, after this, I will get back to the usual lazy JJ mode".
I don't think he's lazy. I just think he's not good enough. He has SIM Liiga written all over him.

Too slewfooted, too unaware of what's going on. Lack of urgency. Carries the puck too long. Doesn't use his size to check or to at least withstand checks.

A number of other things could be said of him, but he hasn't embodied the few things that would allow him to stay here - namely being a checking line winger who thinks "destroy the opponent" first and foremost.