HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lauri Korpikoski

Old
04-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Chimp

vCash: 500
Seems like Korpedo is having a breakout season in Phoenix, who are making the playoffs with an impressive 96 pts. Lauri has been a speedy, solid two way player who has impressed in both ends of the rink and been a key player to their success.

GPGAP+/-PIMPPGSHGGWGOTSS%TOI/GFO%HitsBkSMsSGvATkASH TOI/GPP TOI/G
76182038+191802409818.415:2043.285484423253:040:34

That's just impressive. Did we give up on the kid too early, or was there simply no room for him on the team to give him the space to develop? Although his shooting percentage is kind of freakish, 18 goals is still 18 goals, 16 at even strength, 2 shorthanded.

It's a no brainer that trading him for Lisin was a huge mistake, but I guess you can't win them all.

Last edited by Chimp: 04-04-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Korpi for lisin wasn't sathers brightest trade, but at the time korpikoski looked likenthe same old same old IMO and the team didn't have the roster space to give him the minutes he needed to develop; or at least that's how I see it.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

We already have enough guys who can put up 20g 20a. He's not what we need.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:00 AM
beastly115

Great. Korpedo joins the ranks of Ortmeyer and Prucha. Guess we're going to hear about him for the next 10 years too, huh?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:13 AM
azrok22

Let's pretend for a second that the trade of Lisin for Korpikoski (at the time) was a terrible move and we didn't make.

Now let's focus on the reality of Korpedo's career since leaving NY. The trade was made 2 years ago. Last season, for Phoenix, Korpikoski played 71 games, scored 5 goals, and added 6 assists for 11 points. Do you know where Korpikoski would've been this season if he had put up those points for the Rangers last year? Probably Europe, because I don't see what roster spot he would've won out this season (perhaps we don't sign Fedotenko if we have Korpikoski, but I think it's more likely that he would've simply been let go -- Fedotenko was coming off an abysmal year in Pittsburgh and still had 30 points to Korpedo's 11).

Kudos to Phoenix for having a lot of patience with Korpedo and getting a decent return, but even if we hadn't traded for him for Lisin, Korpedo is very unlikely to have been on the Rangers today.

EDIT: Of course, this is also ignoring the rumors that Korpikoski was unhappy with his 4th line role/fringer player on the Rangers and was threatening to return to Europe prior to the Lisin trade.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:25 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Seems like Korpedo is having a breakout season in Phoenix, who are making the playoffs with an impressive 96 pts. Lauri has been a speedy, solid two way player who has impressed in both ends of the rink and been a key player to their success.

GPGAP+/-PIMPPGSHGGWGOTSS%TOI/GFO%HitsBkSMsSGvATkASH TOI/GPP TOI/G
76182038+1918024012018.415:2043.285484423253:040:34

That's just impressive. Did we give up on the kid too early, or was there simply no room for him on the team to give him the space to develop? Although his shooting percentage is kind of freakish, 18 goals is still 18 goals, 16 at even strength, 2 shorthanded.

It's a no brainer that trading him for Lisin was a huge mistake, but I guess you can't win them all.
Yeah, as much as I supported Korps(and still do), azrok22 made the only point there is to make.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Yes. We have too many guys scoring goals on this team. We don't need any more goals!

Obviously a bad deal in hindsight, and I didn't like giving up on Lauri so soon, but at the time I was behind the deal (I *think*). Lisin was thought to be the more prominent offensive player. However, after all the instances where we dumped our crap on DMGM in Phoenix, he was bound to find a solid piece sooner or later.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:33 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Yes. We have too many guys scoring goals on this team. We don't need any more goals!

Obviously a bad deal in hindsight, and I didn't like giving up on Lauri so soon, but at the time I was behind the deal (I *think*). Lisin was thought to be the more prominent offensive player. However, after all the instances where we dumped our crap on DMGM in Phoenix, he was bound to find a solid piece sooner or later.
But you wouldn't get 20 additional goals by replacing someone on our roster with Korpedo, as you'd also be removing a player.

Whose spot would Korpedo have? Fedotenko or Prust are really the only two that I think would be a legitimate possibility.

Prust (12g this year) - 6 goal upgrade by Korpikoski

Fedotenko (10g this year) - 8 goal upgrady by Korpikoski

Actually, I suppose he might've taken Boyle's spot (Korpedo played a bit of center here)

Boyle (21 goals this year) - 3 goal downgrade by Korpikoski

Last edited by azrok22: 04-04-2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old
04-04-2011, 09:44 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Yes, but Enver Lisin? Terrible trade..

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
A young, homegrown 20-20 defensive forward? We'd be in love with him.

Obviously you'd like the trade back.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I meant in the sense that we already have guys who fill the role that Korpikoski plays: 20g 20a 3rd liner. Do we not?

Old
04-04-2011, 09:56 AM
MSG the place to be*

This organization seemed to be IN LOVE with Korpedo, even giving him a playoff game as his first NHL game, until he actually played his only season with us. I just don't get why all of that equity was thrown out the window so that we could take a chance on Lisin. It took about a week to realize the Lisin experiment was a fail.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

1. That doesn't mean he would've put up those numbers with the Rangers.

2. Not saying the trade was good, because it was a pretty horrible one. All I'm saying is that we're not in dire need of a Lauri Korpikoski type player because we have guys like Prust, Fedotenko, and Boyle who play very effective roles on the 3rd line.

Boyle has more goals than Korpikoski. Prust may not have as many points as Korps but we all know he brings a whole lot more than that. Same with Feds: he may not have as many points as Korps but he brings experience.

Last edited by Stugots: 04-04-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old
04-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Stepanformayor*

You guys make it sound like scoring 20 goals and 20 assists is a easy thing to do in this leauge. Every trade has a winner. We won on the Mcd deal and lost on the Rozy deal.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:07 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:

Everyone knew he played a solid 2 way game. The question was whether he would become a 20+ goal scorer or if he would be another responsible guy who could chip in 10 or 15 goals. If he was going to be the latter he was replaceable. I thought they might have given up on him a bit to early...but they were looking for an immediate upgrade in offense which they thought they might have in Lisin. At the end of the day it wasn't a great trade...but at the time it was a risk they thought was worth taking.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

He'd be an "upgrade" over Feds... its hard to say what he would put up in our system, but the age of our team would be even more remarkably young with him instead of Fedotenko.

On the other hand, one could argue that Fed's veteran experience is a bigger boost to this club than the extra goals.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Levitate

Quote:
EDIT: Of course, this is also ignoring the rumors that Korpikoski was unhappy with his 4th line role/fringer player on the Rangers and was threatening to return to Europe prior to the Lisin trade.
Yeah, people need to remember this. From all I can find, the rumors were true and the Rangers essentially traded him because he demanded more icetime or he'd leave. you can't always just throw icetime at every player, especially if someone starts demanding icetime.

I'm glad he's doing well in Phoenix and it makes me feel good that he's developing into the player I thought he could be, but it wasn't working out in NY for some reason. I'm not sure why he was so impatient with the Rangers, but he forced their hand

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:36 AM
azrok22

Quote:
He'd be an "upgrade" over Feds... its hard to say what he would put up in our system, but the age of our team would be even more remarkably young with him instead of Fedotenko.

On the other hand, one could argue that Fed's veteran experience is a bigger boost to this club than the extra goals.
My point was, with Korpikoski getting 11 points last year vs. Fedoktenko, coming off a bad year, getting 30 points last year, do you really think Korpikoski would've really even made the roster?

I definitely agree that Korpikoski is an upgrade over Fedotenko (ignoring veteran presence, which is impossible to quantify) right now. Korpikoski has additional upside to boot.

It's just that even if the Lisin trade wasn't made and we kept Korpikoski, it's very unlikely that we would've ever seen the player he is right now in Phoenix.

Old
04-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Torts made up his mind right away, meanwhile a very good coach like Tippett was patient and reaps the rewards now that the 24(!!) year old is a player to be reckoned with.

The problem was thinking LK was just another depth forward. Clearly he's been anything but.

Thankfully we didn't need a versatile forward this year with all our good health, great move Satherella

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
No-one was a bigger fan of having the Korpedo on the Rangers than I was (not just Finnish, but from Turku, ex-TPS player, etc). That said, I really think the trade had more to do with Slats' seeming policy of playing hardball with young players who go for a big raise too early in their careers, without earning it. For all that I disagree with Slats about, that's a policy I generally favour.

Slats wanted him out, so he went, and Maloney was probably the only guy in the league who really wanted him and was prepared to offer something in return. I doubt any other team would have offered even Lisin. At the time, it was hard to tell who would have been the better player in the long run. I would have argued the Korpedo, but honestly, that would have been as much because I was a fan of his as because I had any real arguments to back it up.

In hindsight, not the best trade. I'm thrilled Lauri is doing well in Phoenix, and if Lauri could put up those numbers on this team, he'd be in our top 5 in scoring. I can't honestly and objectively say that he'd be a massive difference-maker for us, though.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
I meant in the sense that we already have guys who fill the role that Korpikoski plays: 20g 20a 3rd liner. Do we not?
Who? The only guy playing 3rd line minutes and scoring 20 goals is Brian Boyle. That being said, I find it hard to consider any guy who can score 20 goals a 3rd liner in this league.

Also, we're assuming that Korpikoski has hit his full potential. I'd wager against that personally. I think he has a few 25g/30a seasons in him. A guy that can put up those numbers, kill penalties, bust his ass every shift, and play all 3 positions up front? Those guys aren't exactly growing on trees.

Regardless, he never would have gotten the opportunity in NY that he has in Phoenix. Especially with Tortorella's "instant decision" mentality.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:17 AM
skroob**

With 20/20 hindsight, there are simply some trades you can be happy with a player developing later on, and some you cant.

Marc Savard being one. He was a talented kid they we gave up on too early, during a time when team that lacked talent. You still hate that move today because of that.

However, guys like Korpedo, or Montoya, when they develop and emerge elsewhere, you can be happy for them and not regret the trade, because it was near-fact that they could not have done the same if they had stayed here. Korpedo was going to be pushed down the depth chart no matter what, and there was no way Montoya would ever get significant time here with Henrik playing 67-70 games a year.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:27 AM
mullichicken25

i dont get why people are so butt hurt about this trade

Korp was/would be pretty redundant on the rangers, and Lisin was worth a shot to try to bring something to this team that we didnt have in the system

would have been nice if it all worked out in our favor but this has to fall under the "who really gives a *****?" catagory

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Pizza

That's a tough pill to swallow for me. He's a solid player. The kind you can never have enough of. Ultimately, a player will slip thru the cracks and that's Korpikoski.

Who would you rather have, him or Wolski?

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i dont get why people are so butt hurt about this trade

Korp was/would be pretty redundant on the rangers, and Lisin was worth a shot to try to bring something to this team that we didnt have in the system

would have been nice if it all worked out in our favor but this has to fall under the "who really gives a *****?" catagory
Right?
I find it hysterical and a little sad that we STILL talk about guys like Prucha, Ort, Dawes, and Korp

All 4 of those players are a dime-a-dozen.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote