HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jesse the placeholder...but for whom?

Old
04-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlanger View Post
Age aside, but seriously, JJ had several chances in the NHL and showed little to nothing.
Understood. But, keep in mind that he's had, what... 50, 55 games now in the NHL? My point is that the Isles don't have to be in a hurry to let him go. They have leverage, they have a young team, and they have time and opportunity available for players like Joensuu. I'd sign him to a cheap 1 year deal and let him fight it out for a spot. At the worst you have a 13th forward that you can waive if you don't like him in camp/early season.

I just think it's silly to be pencilling in Nino and Petrov on your third line right now.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Understood. But, keep in mind that he's had, what... 50, 55 games now in the NHL? My point is that the Isles don't have to be in a hurry to let him go. They have leverage, they have a young team, and they have time and opportunity available for players like Joensuu. I'd sign him to a cheap 1 year deal and let him fight it out for a spot. At the worst you have a 13th forward that you can waive if you don't like him in camp/early season.

I just think it's silly to be pencilling in Nino and Petrov on your third line right now.
This is smart in my opinion. You don't want Joensuu to be this Islander era's Todd Bertuzzi. A big guy you thought couldn't put it together who just needed more time. (This has nothing to do with his hit so nobody please bring it up to me it's not what I'm talking about.) I would give him more time and not be in such a rush when you don't have to be.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Aucoin3

I know I am probably just nieve but I truely believe that Garth Snow will make a big trade this offseason that will include some NHL assets going the other way to bring in a true top line wing. I just dont see him coming into the season with the abundance of NHL caliber players. Do not mistake me calling an abudence of NHL caliber players to mean top tier guys but just more than a roster full of guys who belong in the NHL. I really dont see them going with Nino as the only change up front. Remember the Isles also have Trent Hunter coming back next year. If I'm not forgetting anyone that leaves Tavares, Moulson, Parenteau, Nielsen, Grabner, Okposo, Bailey, Comeau, Hunter, Niedereitter, Martin, Joensuu as NHL caliber guys. Not to mention Konopka, Haley, Rakashini, Petrov, etc. as possible guys. Then on defense there is Streit, MacDonald, Jurcina, Eaton, Motteau, Hillen, Wishart, Hamonic and young guys like Katic, Donovan and DeHaan. I still believe the Isles will try to bring in another vet dman and possibly resign Martinek.

That leaves us with an abundence of middle of the line bodies. I really feel a trade is a brewing in Islander country!

Sort of stayed on topic I believe.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:40 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
This is smart in my opinion. You don't want Joensuu to be this Islander era's Todd Bertuzzi. A big guy you thought couldn't put it together who just needed more time. (This has nothing to do with his hit so nobody please bring it up to me it's not what I'm talking about.) I would give him more time and not be in such a rush when you don't have to be.
I'd make the attempt to sign him, 2-way before 7/1. Position it such that he knows it's for 3rd & 4th line duty at NHL level while leaving some room for player movement should the team gain players via trade or UFA. Everyone gets a shot at the big club out of camp, but if he wants it, he outplays Martin, Niederreiter & DiBenedetto with consistency, or he gets chucked to Bridgeport where 1st & 2nd line minutes help his game. If he doesn't like it, others will take the chance.

He's got a ways to go before he's an NHL regular, and I don't think he'd get the attention of other GMs like Tambellini, who had a little family connection going.

My best case scenario would be Martin & Joensuu "linked," say if Joensuu beginning the first 8-10 games in the NHL with Martin in the AHL, and unless one of them is setting the world on fire, they switch in 9 games, barring injuries. Work on footspeed, work on defensive coverage, work on pure conversion. After enough back & forth, it's pretty obvious who's more receptive to it at least by who looks more like a cannonball on the ice while getting a little love on the scoresheet.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:43 AM
Handlanger

Quote:

I would do the exact same thing: Sign him to a 1-year 2-WAY extension.

The thing about Joensuu is, he's not a sniper, he's not a speedster. He's a power forward type of player. And for this kind of player and his size, his physicality is just not there.

Handlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:46 AM
Handlanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
I know I am probably just nieve but I truely believe that Garth Snow will make a big trade this offseason that will include some NHL assets

Tavares, Moulson, Parenteau, Nielsen, Grabner, Okposo, Bailey, Comeau, Hunter, Niedereitter, Martin, Joensuu as NHL caliber guys. Not to mention Konopka, Haley, Rakashini, Petrov, etc. as possible guys. Streit, MacDonald, Jurcina, Eaton, Motteau, Hillen, Wishart, Hamonic, Katic, Donovan and DeHaan.
Well my friend, the only problem is: From that list, only Tavares, Moulson, Nielsen, Grabner, Okposo, Streit, MacDonald, Hamonic and Niederreiter together with a sweetener would bring you a top player back. And those are the players we will certainly not trade.

If Garth is able to bring in a bonafide 1st line player, it will through free agency or the by trading our 1st round pick and a young Top 6 roster player (like Bailey).

You won't fetch a top line player in exchange for Joensuu, Haley, Konopka, Bailey, Martin, Jurcina, Eaton, Mottau, Hillen, Katic, Donovan and DeHann, not even if you package them all together...

Handlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlanger View Post
I would do the exact same thing: Sign him to a 1-year 2-WAY extension.
Who cares about 2 way? Why are you so concerned with the Islanders saving money when they have the lowest payroll in the NHL?

Old
04-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
Who cares about 2 way? Why are you so concerned with the Islanders saving money when they have the lowest payroll in the NHL?
As far as I can tell, Joensuu will be waiver eligible next season no matter what, so it really doesn't matter one bit whether he's on a one way or two way deal.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:22 AM
keoviero

honestly comeau is nowhere near a lock for next years team. and if you ask me. he wont be back. yeah hes got 20 goals 20something assists but hes way to streaky and if he doesnt score he doesnt effect the game in a positive way. he just disappears completely.

the top 2 lines are locked in as PA-JT-MM // Grabs/Frans/KO

nino has earned his way onto the isles next season. nothing left to prove in the whl against little kids. hes got the speed size and physical edge to be an effective player on a wing with bailey.

as for petrov. well if the isles can get lucky enough to get him out of this stupid contract and comeover here.. then lookout because things are about to get real real serious on the island. and if he can get over here. then you can bet your ass comeau's lazy ass is gone. and your third line will be Nino/Bailey/Petrov.

if petrov dont comeover then rhett will be on the isles 3rd line and your 3rd line will be Nino/Bails/Rhett. much better then comeau n jessejokinsuu

keoviero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:25 AM
keoviero

oo and by the way.. if the isles dont resign konopka then there a joke. your 4th line should be on a nightly basis Martin/Konopka/Haley

yes Haley. the guys got actual hockey talent for a fighter.

konopka has been a top faceoff man in the league and has stuck up for his teammates and finally made the islanders respectable. he deserves a 2 year deal.

keoviero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles39 View Post
nino has earned his way onto the isles next season. nothing left to prove in the whl against little kids. hes got the speed size and physical edge to be an effective player on a wing with bailey.

So... the guy that scored 20 goals in the NHL is out because he's no good, but the 18 year old who played well in Juniors has already earned his way onto the team? Wow.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:11 AM
mm11

Quote:
So... the guy that scored 20 goals in the NHL is out because he's no good, but the 18 year old who played well in Juniors has already earned his way onto the team? Wow.
I have to agree here, Comeau has a role on any NHL team at this point IMO. He can skate, shoot, hit and pass like a top six but seems to mentally not have it so this equals good third liner to me. He can play the PP and be an emergency call up on the top six anyday. I just have a weird feeling Comeau will step up in huge games, especially the playoffs. He was a real valuable player for team canada at his WJC and at the time those games meant the world to 18 year olds..

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:48 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm11 View Post
I have to agree here, Comeau has a role on any NHL team at this point IMO. He can skate, shoot, hit and pass like a top six but seems to mentally not have it so this equals good third liner to me. He can play the PP and be an emergency call up on the top six anyday. I just have a weird feeling Comeau will step up in huge games, especially the playoffs. He was a real valuable player for team canada at his WJC and at the time those games meant the world to 18 year olds..
This.

Comeau is still evolving, and was excellent at the start of the year with Bailey.

Another year of development for Bailey, and next season we should start to see a 20goal, 30 assist centre- kid is talented.

Comeau, for all his inconsistency, is still a 20 goal guy...everything you said about the extras he brings is important too- plus he can play a pretty decent penalty kill.

I am going to say next season, we will have a top-ten penalty kill, and lead the NHL in shorties again (and that has nothing to do with Rhakshani call-ups...)

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Hockify

Quote:

Old
04-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles39 View Post
oo and by the way.. if the isles dont resign konopka then there a joke. your 4th line should be on a nightly basis Martin/Konopka/Haley

yes Haley. the guys got actual hockey talent for a fighter.

konopka has been a top faceoff man in the league and has stuck up for his teammates and finally made the islanders respectable. he deserves a 2 year deal.
Im not disagreeing with what you say but I dont think the lineup you are proposing gets the Isles to the cap floor.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Korkki

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
joensuu gets another year in the AHL
I am quite sure that Joensuu is not playing in AHL anymore. He has said that he will not accept two-way deal and I doubt Isles will give him one-way. So I think he will be heading back to Europe. Hopefully to Ässät, of course...

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:44 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

This was the only Joensuu thread I could find so I bumped it... If the mods and Bonzo were open to changing the name to something less leading I'd like to suggest it to attract discussion about the kid.

What did all of you think of JJ last night? It took a good period and a half for me to start focusing on him, but he really did seem improved, or rather "relevant" when he played. Last time up he was a man child, a baby on skates and I wouldn't have cared if they waived him. This time though I see a big guy using his size more, and playing more intelligently.

I was impressed. I also see room for better play as he isn't accustomed to the NHL yet.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:52 AM
TROLLPOSO

I was really impressed by Jesse's play. He was everything you could ask for in a big bodied forward. We need to get rid of some of the vet flotsam to make room for players like Joensuu. Bye bye Reasoner, Boulton, probably Aucoin.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:19 PM
bluechipbonzo

Funny how things have changed...I don't care if you change the name of the thread...seems Jesse has come a long way since then. This was before Comeau flaked out and Petrov decided to stay in Russia with his mother. Took bailey a while to get here, but he's finally living up to his talent too. Stand by my Lee comments though- I think the Isles promised him a taste this year because of what they hope he can do for them down the road...but being on for all four goals against the last two games tells you everything you need to know...he just can't keep up with the pace and may have to shed a few pounds if he wants to skate in the NHL.

As for Jesse, you have to be impressed. Considering all the time off, he looked great last night. You can see he carries more confidence, and knows he's one of the bigger bodies on the ice. As his timing comes along, I expect he'll score a few big goals for us down the stretch here. Here's the depth scoring from a third liner we need. I can't see Jesse getting scratched the rest of the way if he keeps playing like this.

Last edited by bluechipbonzo: 04-07-2013 at 12:25 PM.
bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:34 PM
IslandersFan17

I remember JJ going from legit prospect, to obscurity, to playing well over seas, and back into the minds of islanders fans.

Some of my friends who love over seas hockey (not all islanders fans) were telling me the Islanders are going to want JJ back without question.

They were saying that you could start to see JJ ramp up his physical style

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:39 PM
xECK29x

JJ finally turned into the PWF we all knew he could be.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
stranger34

what was the injury that kept JJ out this year?

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RWWallpaper

He's certainly not the same player that left here a while back...that's for damn sure. Very impressed with his play last night...

...and is it possible for him to be bigger? He looks like a man among boys out there...

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:59 PM
YearlyLottery

He looked really good out there last night. Hitting, shooting, passing, and getting back on defense. Just about all the things Brad Boyes doesn't do.

YearlyLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:05 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearlyLottery View Post
He looked really good out there last night. Hitting, shooting, passing, and getting back on defense. Just about all the things Brad Boyes doesn't do.
I think you just nailed the spot he should take. Moulson has been getting a pass these past few games from me because he's been more visible. Joensuu with JT and Moulson opens up ice and protects JT, especially now that teams are throwing more dirt his way.

I have faith in a man.....a kid was sent to Europe and grew leaps and bounds. He came back a man and quite skilled. He looks like a potential power forward for JT's wing.

Anyone mention a Swiss lackey's name for that spot and I'll throw up on them. Jesse showed up and auditioned well.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote