HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Playoff Matchups thread

Old
04-02-2011, 11:31 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Playoff Matchups thread

OK, not gonna risk a jinx by assuming we are in and making a "who do we want to play" thread" but nonetheless heading into the last week of the season i think a playoff matchup thread is useful.

dont have to necessarily discuss the Preds potential opponents, either, any potential series can be put out there.

I think it would be sweet if the Hawks and Canucks ended up playing in round one. You know the Vancouver fans would be thinking "not again!"

My "ideal" first round pairings

1 VAN vs 8 CHI
2 DET vs 7 ANA
3 SAN vs 6 LAK
4 NAS vs 5 PHX

My "predicted" pairings:

1 VAN vs 8 CHI
2 DET vs 7 PHX
3 SAN vs 6 ANA
4 LAK vs 5 NAS

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 02:24 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
I think its appropriate to discuss potential matchups. Here's my ranking

LA
Phoenix
Detroit
Vancouver
Chicago
Anaheim
San Jose

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:29 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

I'm not even going to try to guess at seedings until around mid week. The pacific round robin has too many potential outcomes and we still need to deal with Atlanta on Tuesday night.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:06 AM
Firestorm

I don't feel comfortable playing against any (but 1) team.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Dodgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
I don't feel comfortable playing against any (but 1) team.
But aren't the Blue jackets out of the playoffs?

Dodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:35 AM
token grinder

it is this franchise's destiny to beat detroit in the first round. we will continue to lose until we punch big brother in the mouth 4 out of 7 times.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:26 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Out of this field, I'd take my chances with Detroit, personally. We don't handle LA's forecheck very well, don't match up well with the Canucks, the Ducks and Blackhawks are near-impossibilities at this point, and I have nothing but bad memories regarding our play in Glendale.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 04-03-2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Redundant
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:37 AM
WartracePred

I want the Red Wings. We've played them well (except yesterday) all season. We can win at the Joe. Our team is comfortable and confident when they take the ice against Detroit. They don't have the big skilled forwards like San Jose or the Ducks. I think their skilled forwards are smaller and have lost a step as they've aged. And knocking them out would give us a chance to thumb our noses at the hockey elitists.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 10:23 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
it is this franchise's destiny to beat detroit in the first round. we will continue to lose until we punch big brother in the mouth 4 out of 7 times.
I hope the Preds do this to Detroit in the playoffs.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
I want the Red Wings. We've played them well (except yesterday) all season. We can win at the Joe. Our team is comfortable and confident when they take the ice against Detroit. They don't have the big skilled forwards like San Jose or the Ducks. I think their skilled forwards are smaller and have lost a step as they've aged. And knocking them out would give us a chance to thumb our noses at the hockey elitists.
Playoff hockey is different than regular season hockey. Weaknesses that didn't really matter in the regular season come up huge in the playoffs.

Old
04-03-2011, 11:43 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The Kings aren't as tough of a matchup with Kopitar and Williams out with injuries. A Yotes/Preds matchup would cause Toronto's media to implode. As long as we don't finish 8th, no western Canada roadies to Vancouver. SJ and Anaheim look tough right now ... I don't want either of them unless they cool dramatically in the next week. We have matched up well with Detroit.

The Pacific division round robin just holds too many possible outcomes. If one team besides SJ gets hot and wins out, things get wild.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:27 PM
token grinder

no, 101, a preds/yotes matchup means the debut of tsn ocho, where the games will be played second fiddle to the canadian ice sculpting championships held in northern manitoba.

Old
04-03-2011, 06:58 PM
hockey diva

I really don't care who we play. It just means an extra week of hockey. I have little faith that we can win a round this year. Our play of late especially in the 3rd has been awful. Our top guys are tired and Trotz's personnel management has brought us to this.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:24 PM
token grinder

if we have our spot locked up by saturday, everyone's minutes even out, the fourth line plays some more, weber and suter play less, rinne gets a day off and we probably don't start the playoffs till wednesday as the last games are on sunday. tired will not be an excuse.

Old
04-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
if we have our spot locked up by saturday, everyone's minutes even out, the fourth line plays some more, weber and suter play less, rinne gets a day off and we probably don't start the playoffs till wednesday as the last games are on sunday. tired will not be an excuse.
Depends if we want to get a certain team in the playoffs though.

Old
04-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I want to play the Kings. Kopitar and Williams being out, plus their clutch success is even less than ours. Plus I'd get to go to one of the games.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:14 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
This

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:41 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I want to play the Kings. Kopitar and Williams being out, plus their clutch success is even less than ours. Plus I'd get to go to one of the games.
Williams started skating today, and shot the puck a bit near the end of practice. He will likely be back in action for Game 1 of the playoffs. But still, no Kopitar hurts.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:09 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The Kings aren't as tough of a matchup with Kopitar and Williams out with injuries. A Yotes/Preds matchup would cause Toronto's media to implode. As long as we don't finish 8th, no western Canada roadies to Vancouver. SJ and Anaheim look tough right now ... I don't want either of them unless they cool dramatically in the next week. We have matched up well with Detroit.

The Pacific division round robin just holds too many possible outcomes. If one team besides SJ gets hot and wins out, things get wild.
I would love to see that, except that I don't really care what they think. If Toronto was truly the center of North American hockey, they would have won a Stanley Cup since 1967. Toronto is in a 40 year drought, soon to be 45. Maybe the Laughs should hire one of those Toronto hockey writers to coach/GM the team.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:11 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
I really don't care who we play. It just means an extra week of hockey. I have little faith that we can win a round this year. Our play of late especially in the 3rd has been awful. Our top guys are tired and Trotz's personnel management has brought us to this.
We've won what, the past 7 of 9 games?

I understand that people are pissed that we gave a 3 goal lead.

But bottom line, with this roster's offensive talent and injuries, Trotz should be commended for his work this season. I doubt any other coach could've brought this team to 5th place in the competitive West.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:14 AM
adsfan

Quote:
I agree. Dumping Detroit will make the hockey world take the Preds seriously. I thought that Nashville was going to win a few years back, but Vokoun got that damn blood clot at the end of the season and the preds went down 4-2.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Roger Explosion

I'd be happy with any matchup besides Vancouver or San Jose.

Roger Explosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:41 AM
Byrddog

Best case would be Preds finish 4th and Kings 5th. Home Ice against the Kings for round 1 will be the best chance to play the big game. Then somehow someway they have to win it. Unlike last year with the Hawks last Sat with the Wings and so on and so on they have to win one big game to have a chance to advance. Past round 1 would do alot for the franchise, players, Fanbase. And consider there will be no NFL next year this could be the end of attendance problems. It is up to the players and Trotz now. IMO there should be a standing silence from the fans during the traditional standing ovation for the last commercial break to get the message to the Organization the collapses like last sat need to be resolved. Be it coaches or the team one of them are responsable for the coasting that they are known to do.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Williams started skating today, and shot the puck a bit near the end of practice. He will likely be back in action for Game 1 of the playoffs. But still, no Kopitar hurts.
I have a couple friends that are Kings fans but what is the general consensus on Quick? Are you guys confident in him? My guess would be not really but I'm just going by a small sample size.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:10 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I have a couple friends that are Kings fans but what is the general consensus on Quick? Are you guys confident in him? My guess would be not really but I'm just going by a small sample size.
would be interesting with Quick since they roll Bernier out to play us almost every tiem.