Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Burns Even Re-Sign?

Old
04-03-2011, 06:31 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 500
Will Burns Even Re-Sign?

All this talk about what we should pay him and all that jazz, but he will be a UFA at the end of next season. So at this point, of not making the playoffs again and abysmal play by the team in general and lack of front office's ability to get support players for the team, does he even want to resign here? They all always say they love the area and all that junk, but what are the odds he goes somewhere else to get the cup/money now while his daughter is still young? Or do you think it would be too crazy to move that zoo of his somewhere else at this point?

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
He should... if he isn't a "money" player.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 06:42 PM
BigT2002

What if he is a "championship player" instead? You think Ray Bourque wanted out of Boston because they weren't going to pay him the $$$?

Old
04-03-2011, 06:47 PM
J22

vCash: 814
It will come down to money just like always

hometown discount= no chance
fair value= probably
overpayment= absolutely

However, Salcers idea of "fair value" is probably quite a bit higher then anybody else's.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

we can't afford to overpay for Burns, not until he shows some ******* consistency.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Vashanesh
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
What if he is a "championship player" instead? You think Ray Bourque wanted out of Boston because they weren't going to pay him the $$$?
Is Burns in the twilight of a Hall of Fame career?

Apples and oranges.

Unless Burns' goes nuts next season... I could see Fletch hard-balling him to a respectable price.

Is he a 50+ point defensemen? Or is he the same guy who pinches at the wrong time and tries to do everything himself?

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:17 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post

Apples and oranges.

Unless Burns' goes nuts next season... I could see Fletch hard-balling him to a respectable price.

Is he a 50+ point defensemen? Or is he the same guy who pinches at the wrong time and tries to do everything himself?
If at this time next year, Burns is still on the roster and hasnt signed an extension, Fletcher will have F'd up pretty badly.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:40 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post

Apples and oranges.

just playing devils advocate with all of this:

But wouldn't that be a reason he would want to leave? Because he would feel he's 1 of 2 dmen on this team that can play both aspects of the game and that he may need to try some place else to see if it would work out better for him? Say LAK where he could be on a line with either Johnson or Doughty for example?

Old
04-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Vashanesh
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
just playing devils advocate with all of this:

But wouldn't that be a reason he would want to leave? Because he would feel he's 1 of 2 dmen on this team that can play both aspects of the game and that he may need to try some place else to see if it would work out better for him? Say LAK where he could be on a line with either Johnson or Doughty for example?
That depends entirely on whether or not he wants to be "the guy".

Some guy's do better being leaned on, others don't. If Burns is the former, then he's best off staying here. If he'd rather take it easy, then yeah... It might not be his best bet to stay here.

I don't get the impression that he wants to be anything other than our "guy". He just tries too damn hard some times. He slips into that "they can't do it? I'll do it all myself" mentality too often.

If he's on a team where he's the number 2 or even 3 guy (like LA)... He just won't be able to get away with that.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:32 AM
nickschultzfan

Burns is "inconsistent" when he tries to put the team on his back and does too much.

Maybe if he didn't have to do that every game because our forwards are god-awful....

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Caior89

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Burns is "inconsistent" when he tries to put the team on his back and does too much.

Maybe if he didn't have to do that every game because our forwards are god-awful....
I agree with you, every time we are trailing his "forward side" wake up and mess with everything (normally increases the trailing).

Now about his resign i think he is in a very delicate situation, he played good until ASG, then along with all the team dropped after.
If we resign him i think it would be a long term, but, we cant afford to overpay him with all the inconsistent/injury and he sure doest want a long term being payed like a 3 or 4 D would.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:44 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

It's a tricky situation, that much is certain.

Few things:
1. Wild can't afford to overpay.
2. Return doesn't/won't warrant trading him.
3. Nothing coming up the pipeline.

It won't be easy. I personally don't see how they move him. I think they'll work something out.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote