HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lauri Korpikoski

Old
04-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Generally, I dont mind the logic behind the Korp for Lisin trade. We were unloading a redundant player for one with high upside - it just so happened that Lisin had rocks in his head, which wound up making it a bad trade.

But overall, considering the lack of top end talent on this squad, i'd continue to condone such risky moves.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:11 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

I wouldn't be comepltely shocked to see a 60pt season or two out of Korpi before his NHL days are done.

Poor scouting showed Lisin to have the sort of skillset that can transcend those numbers and be a sniper in the NHL. I won't kill the trade, but it does show how off the scouting staff is under Slats.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:29 PM
JimmyStart*

Couple of people acting like Korp hasn't done jack since he left when it's pretty obvious he's developed into more than a solid player. If he'd been having this season with us instead of Pho we'd be ranking him up there gleefully with sauer, McD, etc. Really makes no sense to devalue him b/c he didn't develop in his first season with the team. Lisin gave us nothing and is gone. We got destroyed on this trade...luckily we got destroyed on a 2nd/3rd liner not a 1st liner or superstar.

I think one other factor was involved here. I think guys really hated Torts after his first season here. He hadn't yet made his slight mood change that he clearly made this year and Korp prob wanted nothing to do with playing for him. Torts wasn't giving nearly as many chances to the young guys who were struggling as he did this year and I'm sure it turned Korp off and led to his demands if he really made them. Just a thought again though I love what he's done this year I feel he's clearly changed a few things and won over the team but I thought he was a reeaaal bad fit for us before this season.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:49 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
Couple of people acting like Korp hasn't done jack since he left when it's pretty obvious he's developed into more than a solid player. If he'd been having this season with us instead of Pho we'd be ranking him up there gleefully with sauer, McD, etc. Really makes no sense to devalue him b/c he didn't develop in his first season with the team. Lisin gave us nothing and is gone. We got destroyed on this trade...luckily we got destroyed on a 2nd/3rd liner not a 1st liner or superstar.

I think one other factor was involved here. I think guys really hated Torts after his first season here. He hadn't yet made his slight mood change that he clearly made this year and Korp prob wanted nothing to do with playing for him. Torts wasn't giving nearly as many chances to the young guys who were struggling as he did this year and I'm sure it turned Korp off and led to his demands if he really made them. Just a thought again though I love what he's done this year I feel he's clearly changed a few things and won over the team but I thought he was a reeaaal bad fit for us before this season.
i've heard this a lot on this board but not from any players that i can recall

can someone pull up a quote? or is this just a bunch of speculation?

i DO recall one quote, it was from AA after last season, and he talked about how great torts was working with him over the course of the season

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:06 PM
clmetsfan

I wonder how many of the people *****ing and moaning about this trade right now would have been screaming for him to be benched last year when he put up a grand total of 11 points in 71 games.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
You guys make it sound like scoring 20 goals and 20 assists is a easy thing to do in this leauge. Every trade has a winner. We won on the Mcd deal and lost on the Rozy deal.
Lost on the Rozy Deal? Without that deal McD is in CT not leading the team in +/-. And W2 hit the back of the net in the SO last night sealing a huge win. Getting rid of Rozy was a classic addition by subtraction. Not sure what you're thinking here.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I don't regret the trade at all....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Pizza

I'm not moaning about Korpikoski. I always thought he was a pretty complete player that took a little long to develop. That was part of the reason he was traded. He was always going to be a solid defensive forward who might bring some offense at some point.

Those kinds of players slip thru. It sucks but it happens. Lisin was thought to be a guy that would break out more to the offensive side.

He didn't, Korps did. Too bad. Move on.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

You can't win them all, and the trade itself at that time made sense, and there is certainly no guarantee that he would have grown to be the player he is today! Should Flames cry over letting Prust go? No, he would most likely not have become what he is today, an important player to the team, anywhere else (well...). It's about chemistry and timing. And some luck.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 02:01 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

You could tell that LK had what it took to be a decent offensive player. Speed, good hands, and a quick shot. Bundle that up with good defense, and you wind up looking at the Lisin trade as a collective "FML" for all of us.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 02:34 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
You could tell that LK had what it took to be a decent offensive player. Speed, good hands, and a quick shot. Bundle that up with good defense, and you wind up looking at the Lisin trade as a collective "FML" for all of us.
Much rather have a player like Carl Hagelin in that role than Korpikoski....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 02:38 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

He put up like 10 points last year, I think. Hed be in Hartford this year or off the team. Bad trade, not something that keeps me up at night. I'd take Prust over Korpedo. Some people are crucifying the staff for the trade- well guess what, this is the same staff that got us McD for Gomez. This is just another typical thing Rangers fans will harp on when they feel like complaining.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 02:46 PM
serakk

where 96 points came from? 18+20=38

serakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 02:53 PM
kennglin13

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't this trade done ONLY because of cap issues? We needed to resign duby/cally and still had Redden on the books along with the new contract of Gaborik and LK wanted too much money?

kennglin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Let's pretend for a second that the trade of Lisin for Korpikoski (at the time) was a terrible move and we didn't make.

Now let's focus on the reality of Korpedo's career since leaving NY. The trade was made 2 years ago. Last season, for Phoenix, Korpikoski played 71 games, scored 5 goals, and added 6 assists for 11 points. Do you know where Korpikoski would've been this season if he had put up those points for the Rangers last year? Probably Europe, because I don't see what roster spot he would've won out this season (perhaps we don't sign Fedotenko if we have Korpikoski, but I think it's more likely that he would've simply been let go -- Fedotenko was coming off an abysmal year in Pittsburgh and still had 30 points to Korpedo's 11).

Kudos to Phoenix for having a lot of patience with Korpedo and getting a decent return, but even if we hadn't traded for him for Lisin, Korpedo is very unlikely to have been on the Rangers today.

EDIT: Of course, this is also ignoring the rumors that Korpikoski was unhappy with his 4th line role/fringer player on the Rangers and was threatening to return to Europe prior to the Lisin trade.
this. well posted, and i totally agree with you.

that said, i still think he served more of a purpose than Lisin would have, and it was a dumb trade.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:12 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

always hated that trade. don't buy that Korpi would have bolted to Europe because he was still on the 4th line in just in rookie season. He would have gotten similar ice time over Lisin last year, probably more since Korpi would have probably gotten some PK time, similar to his numbers in PHX. This season, he would have had to outplay someone in camp to get the spot. That is hard to say how that would have gone down, but coaching has shown the best players in camp tend to get their roster spots. He would have possibly competed with Fedotenko or Avery's spot and then later, probably have taken Frolov's spot when he went down in bizzaro NHL. I just hated the trade because it was pointless. Sure Lisin scored some goals in PHX but it seemed like he was such the wrong fit for us in so many ways. Why give up on Korpedo? He still skates like the dickens and plays good defense.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:21 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Let's pretend for a second that the trade of Lisin for Korpikoski (at the time) was a terrible move and we didn't make.

Now let's focus on the reality of Korpedo's career since leaving NY. The trade was made 2 years ago. Last season, for Phoenix, Korpikoski played 71 games, scored 5 goals, and added 6 assists for 11 points. Do you know where Korpikoski would've been this season if he had put up those points for the Rangers last year? Probably Europe, because I don't see what roster spot he would've won out this season (perhaps we don't sign Fedotenko if we have Korpikoski, but I think it's more likely that he would've simply been let go -- Fedotenko was coming off an abysmal year in Pittsburgh and still had 30 points to Korpedo's 11).

Kudos to Phoenix for having a lot of patience with Korpedo and getting a decent return, but even if we hadn't traded for him for Lisin, Korpedo is very unlikely to have been on the Rangers today.

EDIT: Of course, this is also ignoring the rumors that Korpikoski was unhappy with his 4th line role/fringer player on the Rangers and was threatening to return to Europe prior to the Lisin trade.
The same could be said about Brian Boyle.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:26 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
The same could be said about Brian Boyle.
And Boyle was extremely close to not making this team because of it. Maybe the same thing happens with Korpikoski and he also redeems himself in the pre-season like Boyle did, but I find it unlikely.

It took a superhuman pre-season for Boyle to make this team. Torts has said that he was AHL bound and Boyle was already under contract (at an only $500k cap hit). Assuming they would've given Korpikoski the same deal Lisin got when the trade was made, Korpikoski would've needed to be re-signed last summer after putting up the 11 points (at a $1m plus cap hit due to his qualifier). I don't think the Rangers would've done that.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Lost on the Rozy Deal? Without that deal McD is in CT not leading the team in +/-. And W2 hit the back of the net in the SO last night sealing a huge win. Getting rid of Rozy was a classic addition by subtraction. Not sure what you're thinking here.
Pretty sure Eminger would be taking a seat and McDonagh would still be here if the Roszival trade never happened, which would make the defense even stronger.

Wolski has gotten progressively worse in every part of his game outside of the skills competition.

Give me a defenseman capable of logging 20 mins over a dud like Wolski any day.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:58 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Pretty sure Eminger would be taking a seat and McDonagh would still be here if the Roszival trade never happened, which would make the defense even stronger.

Wolski has gotten progressively worse in every part of his game outside of the skills competition.

Give me a defenseman capable of logging 20 mins over a dud like Wolski any day.
No, McD was only called up because we had a shortage of D-men. i doubt Ryan sniffs the NHL for more than a cup of coffee with Rozy here, and he's leagues better than Rozy.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Really not too upset with the trade. Korepdo is getting great minutes in Phoenix. On our team he'd still be on the 3rd or 4th line. I'm rooting for him all the way and obviously would not re-do the trade in hindsight, but im in no way devastated. We needed guys who could score, Lisin seemed to have some potential and we took a risk. No problem with that.

IMO, Korpedo would have done nothing more than play on the 3rd line and kill penalties as a Ranger.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:37 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

perspective people. perspective.

korpi has had a very nice season in the desert. hes played very well from everything i have read. hes found a spot and his offensive game has blossomed. good for him.

its easy to judge trades after 2 years. hindsight is 20/20. much the same as it will be 3 years fromnow when we are all proclaiming to have known that

a. dylan mcilrath was a stud and future all star shutdown dman.

b. dm is a lumbering doofus.

in 3 years we'll all know which he is.

as for the korpi v. lisin deal. please consider at the time what the situation was.

korpi hadnt shown much here. in and out of the lineup. mostly a checking guy who handled the puck like a hand grenade. he was another in a long line of reach 1st rounders. 3rd/4th line talent taken in round 1. dm/gm had moved to phoenix and korpi was his guy.

lisin was an underachieving uber talented russian kid- who was a 2nd rounder but had been on many draft lists as a mid 1st round talent- who had bolted to russia rather than go back to san antonio. he was back stateside and playing much better and according to many, had begun to play both ends of the rink showing flashes of offensive brilliance. there was certainly no universal agreement in yotesville when he was traded. many wanted the kid to stay and many were bummed he was moved.

at the time, looked like a decent deal for both. solid 3rd line type- which we had in spades and still do btw, for a high end boom or bust skills type guy- which we lacked and still do today.

in the end, korpi kinda floundered in foenix and lisin ran into the torts the clown show on broadway. now korpi is part of the young core for the yotes and lisin labors in the khl.

many were fooled. not just hf board members but oh...lets see, um...... how 'bout the
phoenix coyotes complete scouting staff for drafting him and the ny rangers management for trading for him. just to name a few.

20/20 hindsight. its great isnt it.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:39 PM
xxxZENxxx

It was obviously a bad trade, but I am not crying about it. Traded players can go on to have solid seasons thereafter, but it doesn't mean they would have done the same here (i.e. Parenteau).

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
lisin ran into the torts the clown show on broadway
Just wondering, do you blame torts for lisin's demise?

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:53 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Just wondering, do you blame torts for lisin's demise?
no. i do not.

i blame lisin's inability to produce enough points. bottom line, he didnt score enough to keep him playing top 6 minutes. he isnt a bottom 6 type player. he had no place to play in a torts system.

i do blame torts for how he handles himself and offensive euro players. even a guy like prospal has a love/hate relationship with him.

as i said many times before, there can be room for guys who dont always play a 2 way game if they score enough to warrant the ice. problem is, with torts, your ice goes away, along with your production, if he thinks you arent playing his 2 way game.

i see the same happening now with wolski.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote