HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rather Move WHL Franchise than sell local

Old
03-31-2011, 03:44 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Rather Move WHL Franchise than sell local

Not sure how many of you know this, but Brian Burke has a 25% share in the Chilliwack Bruins of the Western Hockey League.

Either way, him and 2 of the other 4 minority shareholders are interested in selling the team.

Rumours have abounded about the Chilliwack Bruins are on their way out of town to Victoria, to take ahold of the market there, before a possible Manitoba Moose move out to somewhere in BC.

Either way, the other minority share holder (Moray Keith) has been interesting in purchasing the remaining shareholders shares to maintain the team in Chilliwack. Burke and the other 2 only want to sell to Victoria, but

http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_va...119008884.html

“There were serious and substantial offers to buy the team and keep it in Chilliwack and I made both Brian Burke (Bruins co-owner) and Ron Robison (WHL comissioner) aware of this,” he said, referring to a publicized offer led by Bruins co-owners Moray Keith and Jim Bond. “Brian Burke confirmed to me that they were not considering any other offers - for whatever reason. He, (Darryl) Porter and (Glen) Sather have a controlling interest in the team, so what Moray and Jim Bond wanted wouldn’t matter as they were minority shareholders.”

Funny how there's an local offer to buy the rest of the shares for what's reportedly larger than the offer from Victoria in terms of value, (7.75 mil vs approx 7 mil) yet they don't care, and just want to give up on this team and ship them out rather than have them stay in the same City and perhaps be successful later on.

For your information, Chilliwack is 5 years old, is presently in the first round of the playoffs, and yet has never had a chance to really go anywhere. Finally this year, things are starting to change, but yet it's a good idea for some reason to rip out a team like this. Makes me look down a Burke a little more than before as a Leaf and Bruins (WHL) fan.

EDIT: Another article from CKNW (Radio Station in Vancouver) http://www.cknw.com/Channels/Reg/Spo...spx?ID=1394687

Last edited by go_leafs_go02: 03-31-2011 at 04:44 PM.
go_leafs_go02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Dayjobdave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Not sure how many of you know this, but Brian Burke has a 25% share in the Chilliwack Bruins of the Western Hockey League.

Either way, him and 2 of the other 4 minority shareholders are interested in selling the team.

Rumours have abounded about the Chilliwack Bruins are on their way out of town to Victoria, to take ahold of the market there, before a possible Manitoba Moose move out to somewhere in BC.

Either way, the other minority share holder (Moray Keith) has been interesting in purchasing the remaining shareholders shares to maintain the team in Chilliwack. Burke and the other 2 only want to sell to Victoria, but

http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_va...119008884.html

“There were serious and substantial offers to buy the team and keep it in Chilliwack and I made both Brian Burke (Bruins co-owner) and Ron Robison (WHL comissioner) aware of this,” he said, referring to a publicized offer led by Bruins co-owners Moray Keith and Jim Bond. “Brian Burke confirmed to me that they were not considering any other offers - for whatever reason. He, (Darryl) Porter and (Glen) Sather have a controlling interest in the team, so what Moray and Jim Bond wanted wouldn’t matter as they were minority shareholders.”

Funny how there's an local offer to buy the rest of the shares for what's reportedly larger than the offer from Victoria in terms of value, (7.75 mil vs approx 7 mil) yet they don't care, and just want to give up on this team and ship them out rather than have them stay in the same City and perhaps be successful later on.

For your information, Chilliwack is 5 years old, is presently in the first round of the playoffs, and yet has never had a chance to really go anywhere. Finally this year, things are starting to change, but yet it's a good idea for some reason to rip out a team like this. Makes me look down a Burke a little more than before as a Leaf and Bruins (WHL) fan.
I believe the relevant words in the article are "unconfirmed reports"

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 04:04 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Really puts a new perspective on how Coyote fans must feel.

Psyche, **** Phoenix. Ship the team to Winnipeg!

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 04:07 PM
go_leafs_go02

This is like a Phoenix that has an offer that's larger than the offer from Winnipeg. Yet whoever presently owns the Coyotes has no interest in selling them to anyone but the Winnipeg Group.

Old
03-31-2011, 04:13 PM
mooseOAK*

What I heard when I was out in Vancouver is that if Phoenix moves to Winnipeg then the Moose will move to Abbotsford and the Heat would move elsewhere, maybe Chilliwack or somewhere in the States.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
This is like a Phoenix that has an offer that's larger than the offer from Winnipeg. Yet whoever presently owns the Coyotes has no interest in selling them to anyone but the Winnipeg Group.
Pretty sure that the NHL owns it, so they get to decide.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 04:17 PM
go_leafs_go02

That idea has no basis. Apparently the Heat in Abbotsford have no interest moving, they have an incredible deal with the City in which the City pays for their losses if they are any.

I've heard the WHL is nervous that the Moose might go to Victoria and wants to put a team in there before the AHL can even get into there. Chilliwack would not work with an AHL franchise, especially with one 20 minutes down the Highway being the Canucks franchise.

The WHL wasn't pleased with Abbotsford moving in with the AHL, and there is an effort to put teams in locations where the AHL would be interested in moving (ie. Victoria). I just think items like that would work much better with expansion rather than relocation. Yes, Chilliwack was for sale, but it sat 16th in the league out of 22 for attendance, and has alot more potential in growth than other franchises like Kootenay (Cranbrook has 25,000 in its town)

Old
03-31-2011, 04:50 PM
leafspring*

Burke was in Estevan this week,and most likely watched Nicholls while was out. He spends alot of time in the west.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 05:22 PM
Naggah

I live in Victoria, and let me tell you we would LOVE to have a WHL team in our city again. The Victoria Salmon Kings (ECHL) are a joke. It is terrible hockey that hardly anyone is interested in. A few years ago, we had a new arena built, capacity 7500, that would be fantastic for being the home of some up and comers in the WHL. I for one am hoping that Burkie holds out to sell to Victoria, so once again can see some quality hockey in the capital city.

Naggah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Naggah

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...397/story.html

All but a done deal for the bruins to be coming to Victoria.

Naggah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 12:50 AM
htpwn

I find it interesting that the owners -- most of them well-connected at the NHL level -- would turn down a substantial offer to keep the franchise where it is. Perhaps they know something about Phoenix or Atlanta that we don't?

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:09 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I hope they change the name. I have a hard time cheering for the Bruins.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 11:59 AM
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
I find it interesting that the owners -- most of them well-connected at the NHL level -- would turn down a substantial offer to keep the franchise where it is. Perhaps they know something about Phoenix or Atlanta that we don't?
What it is - is that the league wants a team in Victoria to block the AHL from going there. However, I don't understand that even while Chilliwack was for sale, it's one of the newest franchises in the league, it's never made it past the first round, and is nowhere near the bottom of the league in terms of attendance (around 3400 fans per game) - which is up from the year previous.

Local ownership had 25% of the team offered MORE $$$ to keep the team than Victoria did, but yet there's no interest in dealing with them. That's what pisses me off the most.

If there was no interest locally to keep the team here - then fine, but the fact there was this offer, and a reported another offer from a different group - something is wrong with that picture.

Old
04-01-2011, 12:05 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
What it is - is that the league wants a team in Victoria to block the AHL from going there. However, I don't understand that even while Chilliwack was for sale, it's one of the newest franchises in the league, it's never made it past the first round, and is nowhere near the bottom of the league in terms of attendance (around 3400 fans per game) - which is up from the year previous.

Local ownership had 25% of the team offered MORE $$$ to keep the team than Victoria did, but yet there's no interest in dealing with them. That's what pisses me off the most.

If there was no interest locally to keep the team here - then fine, but the fact there was this offer, and a reported another offer from a different group - something is wrong with that picture.
I would say that shows the deal has nothing to do with money.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:48 AM
go_leafs_go02

Here's an interesting read:

http://www.cknw.com/Blog/football/bl...tryID=10222814

Quote:
seems that Brian Burke - the man who, behind the scenes is busy selling off the Chilliwack Bruins to Victoria interests - is lawyering up.
Via his lawyers, he let me know that his feelings and reputation were hurt when I said he was “seeking vengeance on the Canucks.”

You see, owners, managers and other folks around the WHL were concerned that the AHL’s Manitoba Moose were destined for Victoria should the Phoenix Coyotes return to Winnipeg.

The Moose, of course are the Canucks farm team and would heighten the brand’s presence in this province even more than it is, if that were possible

Old
04-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Maybe the owners feel that in the long run, they will make more money in Victoria, which could very well be the case. Maybe that's why they are rejecting the higher offer to keep the team in Chilliwack.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:35 AM
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Classy View Post
Maybe the owners feel that in the long run, they will make more money in Victoria, which could very well be the case. Maybe that's why they are rejecting the higher offer to keep the team in Chilliwack.
the Owners are selling - they will not get any profit in Victoria minus the purchase price - which from all things shown, is less than the offer from Chilliwack to keep the team here.

Old
04-04-2011, 12:02 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
So if "owners, managers and other folks around the WHL were concerned that the AHL’s Manitoba Moose were destined for Victoria should the Phoenix Coyotes return to Winnipeg" then it is a WHL wide issue and not a personal vendetta Burke has against the Canucks.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:05 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
So if "owners, managers and other folks around the WHL were concerned that the AHL’s Manitoba Moose were destined for Victoria should the Phoenix Coyotes return to Winnipeg" then it is a WHL wide issue and not a personal vendetta Burke has against the Canucks.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the WHL wants a team in it's 7th biggest market (I don't know if 7th is completely accurate, but must be close. Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg?) and they don't want an expansion team.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 02:56 PM
stanleyorbust

This is ridiculous. Unless they shared all the offers with the public, you have no idea how good these offers are or what they entail. At the end of the day, an offer of more $ is not a better deal if its full of conditions etc that you suspect wont be fulfilled.

Who is to say I can't go offer Burke a deal to buy the team for 8 million but on condition he gives me 6 months to come up with finances and is not allowed to even discuss selling the team to anyone during that time. Would he take the deal? No he would tell me to go f myself and sell the team to the other guy with cash in hand or at least a reasonable expectation that they would have the money.

stanleyorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Keeping it Blue

He must have really understanding partners if they're willing to follow along with this so called vendetta.

Keeping it Blue is offline   Reply With Quote