HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn or Marc Staal

Old
04-04-2011, 12:54 AM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
Luke Schenn or Marc Staal

Okay im in an EHM game and alot of the guys in my league are from Toronto and i have been arguing with them that Staal is a better D Man then Schenn. And this guy has been going back and forth with me telling me how much better Schenn is then Staal and how much more valuable he is and that Staal sucks. Am i crazy or is this guy an idiot?

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:56 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

EHM as in Eastside Hockey Manager? I'm playing that right now.

And the guy's an idiot.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:58 AM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

yeah i got a sim league going that i run and a guy sims were in december of 2010, active league but this guys telling me the Leafs are better then the Rangers, Reimer is a god, Schenn is better then Staal, if there ever was a man for the definition of homer it would be that guy for sure

Old
04-04-2011, 01:05 AM
matsblue13

Leaf fan here, Staal is better, wouldn't say much better. But Staal will always be better than him in my opinion. Although I only watch the Rangers when they play us or in the playoffs, is he captain material, cause I think Schenn is?

matsblue13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:14 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Staal, and while it's close, I had no trouble making the decision. Schenn is more physical, but he doesn't have the size, skating or smarts that Staal has (although he is quite impressive in all of these facets).

It's funny, because Leaf fans are in the same position we are, and have to constantly defend Schenn's offensive game because, like Staal, he has potential to put up solid totals, but it hasn't totally come around yet. Even though he will likely only score a few more points this season, Staal has shown he is very capable of being a 40 point defenseman, and I really like how his shot has developed. It's not a cannon yet, but it is hard and accurate.

They are very similar players, but the way Staal can dominate defensively during a game is something only Chara, Pronger, Lidstrom and maybe Weber are capable of doing. They will be comparable for the next 15 years however, Schenn is a stud.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:25 AM
KillerKampfer*

You shouldnt be wasting time arguing with morons like that. Its not even a debate who is better. The good Schenn is playing for the Brandon Wheat Kings and is LA property. Luke is a scrub and a heck of a lot closer to Jeff Finger and Komisarek than Marc Staal.

KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 07:39 AM
The Mouth

Staal's play can impact a game and each year he is getting better,

I dont see Luke Schenn even now at the impacting the game point yet.

If the guy says Staal sucks then already you know he is just a clown trying to get a rise out of you.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:55 AM
NYR Viper

Schenn is the more physical player consistently but Staal is the better skater. Different strokes for different folks....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Once he said "Staal sucks" I wouldn't have even wasted my time arguing with the guy.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:19 PM
clmetsfan

I'd take Staal first, but Schenn is a great young defenseman as well, and might even have a higher upside. You can't go wrong with either one.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:38 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Staal is further along in his development. Staal is also better than Schenn in every category outside of hitting and fighting, but it's not like Staal can't hold his own there. I can't say what Schenn's top side is gonna look like but he's so far off from where Staal is right now, given that Marc has 1 year on him and Marc really elevated his game to a legit and league recognized #1 d-man. As seen by his all-star game appearance. Schenn could make a similar leap next season but that remains to be seen. Yeah, just tell your Leaf friends, "how many all-star games has Schenn played in exactly? What's that you say? The silence is deafening."

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Hensch

I've had the absolute privilege to watch Schenn play for the Kelowna Rockets in the WHL, he will be a defensive stud in the future; however, Staal is the better player a good friend of mine is a leafs fan and he firmly agrees with me as well... they both have high ceilings, Staal's is higher IMHO.

Hensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:10 PM
MorrisWanchuk

the unbiased answer is Staal. and it is nowhere near close. remind me who was in the All Star game?

as an aside - is there a more homer-focused fanbase in all of sports than Leafs Nation? (see: Reimer for Vezina/Calder talk as exhibit A)

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:15 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Is this some kind of joke? Schenn is a nice young player who is finding his way and I wish him nothing but the best. Stall is emerging as an elite NHL defenseman. Big, big gulf.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Dark Knight
ScorchedEarthRebuild

Staal is older and more developed. Schenn is 21 and already a defensive stud. Staal is more offensively gifted than Schenn but Schenn is getting better. They're both top pairing D-men, but if I had to choose one I'd take Staal for now. That doesn't mean I'll trade Schenn for Staal. Schenn is captain material.

04-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
the unbiased answer is Staal. and it is nowhere near close. remind me who was in the All Star game?

as an aside - is there a more homer-focused fanbase in all of sports than Leafs Nation? (see: Reimer for Vezina/Calder talk as exhibit A)
Where did you see this? I almost don't believe it.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Gardner McKay
The NYR get...

vCash: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydollaz89 View Post
Okay im in an EHM game and alot of the guys in my league are from Toronto and i have been arguing with them that Staal is a better D Man then Schenn. And this guy has been going back and forth with me telling me how much better Schenn is then Staal and how much more valuable he is and that Staal sucks. Am i crazy or is this guy an idiot?
Schenn doesn't suck. Hes quite capable of being a star defenseman. I wouldn't take him over Marc Staal, but people under rate him simply because he plays for the leafs. Its not like this is the Bozak V Anisimov debate where... well lets face it we all know how that ended.

Last edited by Gardner McKay: 04-04-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
Schenn doesn't suck. Hes quite capable of being a star defenseman. I wouldn't take him over Marc Staal, but people under rate him simply because he plays for the leafs. Its not like this is the Bozak V Anisimov debate where... well lets face it we all know how that ended.
Yup, Bozak >>>>>>Anisimov, eh fitzy

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 06:22 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

I like Schenn a lot, I love his physical game. That being said, there is not one coach or GM in the league that would take him over Staal. Marc's one of the best shutdown defensive d-men in the game. It's not close in terms of who's better.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 06:27 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Fuss View Post
Staal is older and more developed. Schenn is 21 and already a defensive stud. Staal is more offensively gifted than Schenn but Schenn is getting better. They're both top pairing D-men, but if I had to choose one I'd take Staal for now. That doesn't mean I'll trade Schenn for Staal. Schenn is captain material.
Staal has an A. So, that doesn't favor Schenn.

Staal is better at pretty much everything, and this is coming from a guy who absolutely loves Schenn. He just doesn't have the offensive skills of Staal.

04-04-2011, 06:37 PM
beastly115

Schenn is going to be a stud. He's really picked up his game this season.

That being said, Staal is still on another level in nearly every facet of the game.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 06:51 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Schenn may get to Staal's level on defense. Maybe.

His offensive upside isn't as high as Staal's, though.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 06:53 PM
satrabyk

Can we change this thread to Sauer or Schenn, not taking anything away from either of them as i like both there play a lot, but Stall is better no question.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 07:17 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

thank you guys and i will show this moron this thread next time he says something dumb again

Old
04-04-2011, 07:39 PM
McMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsblue13 View Post
Leaf fan here, Staal is better, wouldn't say much better. But Staal will always be better than him in my opinion. Although I only watch the Rangers when they play us or in the playoffs, is he captain material, cause I think Schenn is?
If it was up to me, Staal would be next in line for the C... I would pick him over Dubinsky or Callahan.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote